00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ALONEWOLF995 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What to do with an old tablet

833 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What to do with an old tablet 2014-02-25 20:16:36

I just got my brand new Intuos 5 in the mail. Now after dancing and posing nude with it, I decided to uninstall my old Bamboo Pen & Touch drivers in preparation for the impregnation of new Intuos drivers. Here I am staring at this old tablet like it's an ancient relic, the first thing that popped in my head was to burn it to the goddamned ground, eat the ashes, poop it out, burn the poop, snort the poop ashes, then well... probably die.

As happy as I would be to just axe this thing in half and put it on youtube, I was reminded of a reply I had gotten on Deviant Art where this guy had drawn some monstrosity that looked like someone threw up on Microsoft Paint and used the excuse "not everyone can draw on the computer good".

Grammar aside I understood what he meant. I started out a noob in digital art but I wasn't so ambitious I just started drawing with my mouse like it was my paintbrush and I was Pablo Freakin' Picaso gearing to draw myself into the next life. I drew what I could on paper, scanned it, and used whatever kind of programs I could to spice it up until I got my Bamboo Pen & Touch with some money I had gotten from family members as a graduation present.

Growing up poor is not a very happy experience, especially as an artist. The same Pen & Touch (which honestly isn't thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat bad in price) is now $100 in most stores but not everyone has an extra $100 to drop on art accessories, if it weren't for the fact I was the only person in my family to graduate high school I probably would not have it myself. Personally I do not feel comfortable selling it, online or to a pawn shop, just so it can have it's price jacked up and sold at a price far more than it's worth. Besides some pressure sensitivity issues (if left on too long it likes to settle and if a gentle breeze decides to tickle it's surface then the tablet acts as though the hand of god is caressing it) which is only good to freak out friends who use your computer without permission, and faint scratches from everyday use it's in pretty decent condition. I have also been using the same pen nib for 5 years and I'm still wondering how in the hell I managed that.

(Not to mention all Pen & Touch tablets are in that weird new silver style while this one is the old glossy black one.)

There are a bunch of artists out there who would love to get into digital art but can't afford any accessories if possible I would love to help out at least one who was in the same situation that I was in. I would break it over my knee right at this moment before I sell it to anyone but I would do the same if giving it to anyone would have no benefit (which it obviously does) but I would like a second opinion on the situation.

God knows there are several arms that would reach for it from the cesspool that is D.A. I could probably host a contest or something but I'm not very good at organizing those things. Hell if a contest is a way to go I could just send it to the winner, I know everyone expects brand new shit for competing for anything but people who think like that can go ahead and buy one for themselves.

Looking forward to some responses.

(Brand new Intuos 5 on Left, Used Bamboo Pen & Touch on Right)

What to do with an old tablet

Response to What to do with an old tablet 2014-02-25 21:10:37

Once or twice in the past, other forum users have held small friendly "competitions", where the winner gets the tablet shipped to them. Could be a thought.

Response to What to do with an old tablet 2014-02-25 21:43:27

At 2/25/14 09:10 PM, bigjonny13 wrote: Once or twice in the past, other forum users have held small friendly "competitions", where the winner gets the tablet shipped to them. Could be a thought.

Jazza does monthly competitions called the Artist Showcase that have different prizes. That maybe something to talk to him about. I can't see how that wouldn't be being urial to somebody!

- sb

Response to What to do with an old tablet 2014-02-26 05:47:41

I would advise selling it, but since you don't want to and prefer giving it away, then I guess hold some kind of contest.
Or maybe give it away with a friend who's interested to draw too, or sell it to them.

If it's a contest....
Being even more poor than you, all I could afford was an even cheaper non bamboo tablet (which I bought around $32) and I would really be interested having yours. x3

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to What to do with an old tablet 2014-02-26 17:08:27

NG should have a section where people can donate their old tablets to users who desperately need one but don't have money to buy one. Perhaps only users who are scouted can be put on a waiting list, and when it's their time they can accept it (which is then shipped), deny it (offer goes to the next person in line and the original one can wait for the next deal) or after X days they're removed from the list and it goes to the next one in line.

The person donating could get a special badge like the supporter one. I know I would've liked to have a tablet when I was 13.