00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sevnox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback on my drawings?

720 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 11:59:41

I drew this silly little cartoon out of boredom and I was wondering what you guys have to say about it.

Thanks for your time :D

Feedback on my drawings?

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 15:59:20

Feraligatr?

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 22:34:10

I don't like that look.

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 22:50:00

At 8/20/13 11:59 AM, CynicalFruit wrote: I drew this silly little cartoon out of boredom and I was wondering what you guys have to say about it.

Oh my

I realized it looks like Feraligatr too..

Anyways

Telling me you don't like it isn't a help to me.

Why don't you like it?

I need feedback so I can improve.

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 23:11:29

At 8/20/13 10:50 PM, CynicalFruit wrote: Telling me you don't like it isn't a help to me.

Why don't you like it?

I need feedback so I can improve.

No, no. I wasn't talking about the quality of the piece, I meant he looks like he wants to disembowel someone.

The drawing is good, for a beginner. You took the initiative to shade, which shows that you put some thought into it.
Try using shadows instead of lines in areas where a line looks too harsh, for example the abdominal area in real life doesn't look like a tic-tac-toe board, there are subtleties.

In reality there are no lines, only instances where one color or shade stops, and another one starts.
And keep shading! It really does help you understand volume. You'll get there.

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-20 23:20:46

At 8/20/13 11:11 PM, luckylime wrote:

The drawing is good, for a beginner. You took the initiative to shade, which shows that you put some thought into it.
Try using shadows instead of lines in areas where a line looks too harsh, for example the abdominal area in real life doesn't look like a tic-tac-toe board, there are subtleties.

In reality there are no lines, only instances where one color or shade stops, and another one starts.

Thank you,I'll try my best to improve in my weaker areas :D

Maybe il get a drawing tablet once I have some extra money.
Drawing on paper always leads to unwanted smudges and just looks really messy.

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-21 08:31:35

At 8/20/13 11:20 PM, CynicalFruit wrote:
At 8/20/13 11:11 PM, luckylime wrote:

Thank you,I'll try my best to improve in my weaker areas :D

Maybe il get a drawing tablet once I have some extra money.
Drawing on paper always leads to unwanted smudges and just looks really messy.

I draw with my hand on the paper too, despite being told that straight lines come from lifting your hand up. To keep myself from smudging the paper, I take a folded piece of paper and rest my hand on that. When it starts to pick up too much graphite, I replace it.

Response to Feedback on my drawings? 2013-08-21 19:45:52

At 8/20/13 11:59 AM, CynicalFruit wrote: I drew this silly little cartoon out of boredom and I was wondering what you guys have to say about it.

Two tools that you can use to make that shading easier and smoother without resorting to oily finger smudges for blending. 1 A rolled up piece of paper known as a smudge stick (Most Common). 2 a makeup sponge, yes this product normally only for applying and blending face pigments can be used for drawing, and is probably the smoothest smooth maker for shading I have ever touched. Unlike a finger or a smudge stick, the makeup sponge will not leave behind stop/start marks that are common when the graphite or charcoal builds up.

One more thing. When it comes to figuring out shadows, if you use a desk lamp, and slap together some simple objects to represent your shape it is very easy to figure out a rough estimate of what would be catching light. For instance, based on your current shadows, if the front arm were to leave a large shadow on the torso (which it is pressed tightly against) then that would also mean the body would leave a larger shadow on the tail that appears to trail behind. Size of shadows can actually help determine visually if a body part is in front or behind when atmospheric shading is not used. Also line width, thicker outlines and fine detail insides tend to mean foreground elements while thinner and less detailed line work represent objects in the background.

BBS Signature