00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '13: Round 2

24,450 Views | 375 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 17:56:22

At 8/10/13 05:38 PM, Calamaistr wrote: Congrats to chrononomad,

The only thing i feel unhappy with is the balance in reviews, i only had two unbiased (since the other was chrono himself obv) reviews, i wouldve liked having felt more people had taken their time to listen. Guess ill just go back to feeling obscure again.

I was very happy with steps review anyway, havent had a timetaken review like that in a year or so if not longer.

You'll get at least one more review from another judge - possibly more, eventually. So keep an eye on your submission!

Speaking of which - I've posted all my reviews on each Round 1 track. Check your Audio Portal page to read it. A response would be awesome, if any of you have time.

and would land you an extra 0.5 points if you made it through to Round 2 loljk

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:02:59

You rock.

The only thing i feel unhappy with is the balance in reviews, i only had two unbiased (since the other was chrono himself obv) reviews, i wouldve liked having felt more people had taken their time to listen. Guess ill just go back to feeling obscure again.

Actually, I left my bias behind when I reviewed your piece. That was all straight up and totally honest.

I was very happy with steps review anyway, havent had a timetaken review like that in a year or so if not longer.

Step is a mad awesome reviewing machine. In fact, he may actually be a machine...

The Stepinator -- A Stepper Darkly -- I, Step -- The Steptrix -- Bicentennial Step

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:05:39

Congrats to the wieners.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:06:46

Anyone care for a ranking list?. Totally defeats the point of the contest but whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:16:34

The Bardic Kings pretty much whooped my sorry ass, still this was a fun.

Congratulations to you two, and to all of the winners!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:53:21

At 8/10/13 05:56 PM, Step wrote:
You'll get at least one more review from another judge - possibly more, eventually. So keep an eye on your submission!

I don't want to see any of them. I'm not about to bother each individual judge but thanks for taking the time.

quarl BandCamp

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 18:56:41

Sequenced darling, prepare to be poopoo'd on, or near.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 19:19:24

At 8/10/13 06:02 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
You rock.

Actually, I left my bias behind when I reviewed your piece. That was all straight up and totally honest.

Didnt mean it that way, i mean like cause you were my opponent its biased, not that your review itself was biased :)

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 19:54:59

WHAT IS THIS?! my two favorites PeterSatera and skyood are out (despite the fact that skyood was my opponent)... I am sad. I shall now avenge the both of you!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 19:57:29

oh and thanks, Titan! this is gonna be one heck of a duel!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:01:44

At 8/10/13 07:54 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: WHAT IS THIS?! my two favorites PeterSatera and skyood are out (despite the fact that skyood was my opponent)... I am sad. I shall now avenge the both of you!

Why? If skyood was your opponent that means it's your fault he lost right? To avenge him you should eliminate yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:03:20

Updated the list with a new formating that includes judge and overall scoring! You can view it HERE or by following the link in my forum sig.

If anyone has suggestions to improve it, I'm always open for those, as long as they're not completely retarded.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:14:41

Bummer...im really sad i lost but the judging was fair indeed :)
Good luck Wolftacular and every other winner :)

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:24:18

Aw, so close!

Man, this year really was packed to the brim with outstanding tracks. Good luck to all you Round 2ers.

It'd be cool if we did like a separate consolation bracket, but then it wouldn't be a deathmatch now would it?

I'm outtie.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:27:08

At 8/10/13 04:27 PM, johnfn wrote: A round of applause for the excellent trolling going on in the last round, @Step et al. On to the next round >:O

New computer, New Round, New Opponent. Shit is about to hit the fan!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:29:42

omg i only just made it!!!

for real though, grats to all the weiners. for those of you up against the heavy hitters, just bring your A game and be determined to prove yourself. it's anybody's game now!

oh, and well done headphoamz for pulling off the highest round 1 average i've ever seen! one to watch, for sure.

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 20:47:20

Congratulations to everyone that made it through. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to every track and judging for each of you. Apologies if some of you aren't happy with my scores, I'm not easy to impress. For anyone who didn't make it, COME BACK FOR MOAR NEXT YEAR AND GURD LUUUUUUUUUCK.

Good luck to everyone for Round 2 as well!

Gawd dammit sheesh

Pirates WILL rule one day...

HIT ME UP BITCHES. Piratecrab's Soundcloud| Piratecrab's Youtube

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:04:38

So, I have a suggestion for next year, if it sounds like a good idea;

Swiss-style brackets.

So, in this case of 64, there would be 8 groups(A-H) of 8 people.

Group A:
Camoshark / Nimble / Kor-Rune / acmeDyne
SoundChris / BlazingDragon / SilverPoyozo / SkyeWintrest

For the first three rounds, people in this group would be pittest against each other;

R1: Nimble VS SoundChris
R2: Nimble VS Camoshark
R3: Nimble VS SkyeWintrest

and their score from each of their match-ups would be either added OR averaged(either way I think would work)

Scores:
R1: 7.6
R2: 8.4
R3: 8.25
Total:24.25
Average:8.08

At the end of these 3 rounds, the participants in this Group would be ranked by Total OR Average(again, could be either one)

Group A Rankings:
1st-SilverPoyozo(26.54)
2nd-BlazingDragon(26.32)
3rd-Kor-Rune(25.98)
4th-Camoshark(25.96)
5th-SoundChris(25.39)
6th-acmeDyne(25.23)
7th-SkyeWintrest(25.11)
8th-Nimble(24.25)

The first and second place of each group move on to the simple elimination bracket(not against each other initially of course)

The benefits of having a Swiss-style bracket is a more concrete score, a true average. Sure, it means the judges do quite a bit more work, but it also means that someone's position in the group chart is not made by a single score, it's made by three.

serious seeding work would have to be done, but I think it would work better as a result.

There could also be global charts to see how well others are faring compared to their group standing, but that'd be something one of the participants could take up.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:32:09

I think considering what happened last round winners should be confirming their participation for round 2. If we get another drop out handful then potentially people could jump several rounds without competing. There also could be a back up system so it could default back to the round 1 opponent of the person who can't participate round 2. Just because there is bound to be drop outs. And im sure many people would like the chance.

It will be good to watch the remaining rounds. Congrats again to the winners.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:38:13

At 8/10/13 08:01 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 8/10/13 07:54 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: WHAT IS THIS?! my two favorites PeterSatera and skyood are out (despite the fact that skyood was my opponent)... I am sad. I shall now avenge the both of you!
Why? If skyood was your opponent that means it's your fault he lost right? To avenge him you should eliminate yourself.

crap, I didn't see it that way. I call taksies backsies on the vengeance thing then!

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:50:22

At 8/10/13 09:38 PM, JacobCadmus wrote:
At 8/10/13 08:01 PM, SourJovis wrote:
crap, I didn't see it that way. I call taksies backsies on the vengeance thing then!

Its all good! Just avenge me! :P looking forward to your next track, bring the rain. Have you started yet?

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:51:33

At 8/10/13 08:24 PM, papkee wrote: Aw, so close!

I know! Nice round Papkee! Congrats to all round 1 participants, we churned out some great stuffz.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 21:56:39

At 8/10/13 09:50 PM, PeterSatera wrote: Its all good! Just avenge me! :P looking forward to your next track, bring the rain. Have you started yet?

haha nope! I'm still trying to figure out what kind of vibe I wanna go for next.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 22:15:28

Congratulations to all the winners! Although my Deathmatch challenge stops here, I'm pretty stoked that I even managed to get past the audition process. I can only wish everyone who made it good luck for the rest of the competition!

bork bork bork

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 22:56:45

I'd like to reinforce what PeterSatara said, and suggest that participants who failed to pass the first round keep a watch on this round for dropouts. I believe step is willing to let a round 1 loser step in for a round 2 no-show. This would work better if Step could keep a "waiting list" of who gets first dibs on a no-show, so the people at the top of that list could put some time into a song of their own just in case.

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-10 23:44:55

At 8/10/13 06:06 PM, SourJovis wrote: Anyone care for a ranking list?. Totally defeats the point of the contest but whatever.

welp it's nice to know that I at least averaged in the top 32 :/

feeling pretty sad about one of my scores in particular... but whatever, can't please them all :[
thanksssss awholebunchbassfiddlejones ;.;

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-11 00:49:40

Gagodry made an awesome news post full of interesting stats for the round. Check it out!

It shows the average score that each judge gave as well as the standard deviation of their judging. There is a lot of neat info in the post, so please check it out. Gagodry isn't even a musician on Newgrounds, but he was kind and curious enough to put this together. :)

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-11 00:56:07

IF THERE ARE DROPOUTS I AM GOING TO DASH IN THERE AND RETAKE GLORY D:

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-11 02:10:42

I'm honestly very happy for @steampianist

He's definitely an artist here I'd love to see advance further in this contest, in the name of creepy waltzing! Ironically, I thought I could have a better chance by throwing a hint of a curveball and not doing a weird circus song, then my opponent surprises me by doing a piece in a style that just made me think "damn...they really did MATCH us up" I really appreciate his style a lot, it has a complexity that I think is beyond me at the moment, and it's quirky dark cinematic! My favorite!

I'm out, but I'll be crossing from the arena to the audience, becoming a semi-annoying groupie for steampianist. Wishing you luck for the deathmatches to come! Next year we should combine forces! Considering our pairing was one of the closest in the history of this contest, there would be no compare if we collaborated mweheheheheheh!!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '13: Round 2 2013-08-11 03:02:14

Really happy I made it to Round 2! Round 2, here we come.

"Oh my god, JC, a bomb!"