00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cleveland Show cancelled.

5,682 Views | 80 Replies

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 22:50:27

At 4/19/13 10:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote: They should make Cleveland and his family move in next door to Peter in Quahog or something. I don't want this to be the end of Cleveland.

It'd be better than just getting rid of him entirely.
Though if Cleveland comes back to Family Guy will he act the way he did before or the way he did in The Cleveland Show?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:06:35

At 4/19/13 10:50 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 4/19/13 10:14 PM, Jeffyx wrote: They should make Cleveland and his family move in next door to Peter in Quahog or something. I don't want this to be the end of Cleveland.
It'd be better than just getting rid of him entirely.
Though if Cleveland comes back to Family Guy will he act the way he did before or the way he did in The Cleveland Show?

That introduces an interesting theory. Is it possible to have two protagonists and their families? Can they expand the show by providing the story of both families going on and off of one each week and having them interact occasionally in the same setting of Quahog? You may say that's crazy but one of McFarlane's better qualities when he's not pushing his liberal agenda down American's throat is to experiment and push the boundaries of a sitcom. (ex: Bank Vault Episode, lesser extent, the Thanksgiving episode) I wouldn't mind it all that much, truth be told, simply on the basis of seeing how he would do it.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:13:15

At 4/17/13 11:46 PM, Bryan wrote: Good. I'll never forgive it for trying to fill the timeslot of King of the Hill. It was just a less-funny, more racially-stereotypical version of Family Guy.

First post nails it

been on Neogaf too much :(

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-19 23:13:57

At 4/19/13 11:06 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: That introduces an interesting theory. Is it possible to have two protagonists and their families? Can they expand the show by providing the story of both families going on and off of one each week and having them interact occasionally in the same setting of Quahog? You may say that's crazy but one of McFarlane's better qualities when he's not pushing his liberal agenda down American's throat is to experiment and push the boundaries of a sitcom. (ex: Bank Vault Episode, lesser extent, the Thanksgiving episode) I wouldn't mind it all that much, truth be told, simply on the basis of seeing how he would do it.

That would be an interesting idea. Though it might end up being just The Cleveland Show but in Quahog if they had it so one week it was regular Family Guy, and then next week it was Family Guy but centered around Cleveland. But it would also be interesting if they somehow managed to have both of em working together as one show, but with two protagonists and their families.
Or maybe they could try both of em and see which one turns out better if they end up bringing Cleveland back.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 02:56:04

It's about fucking time. I never really liked the show in the first place.

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:17:19

I like american dad more than Cleveland show and family guy.

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:27:57

At 4/19/13 02:57 PM, Phobotech wrote: Here's a fun game to play, kids! Look at the pattern of Seth MacFarlane's show formula

I bet Seth and Seth fuck all the time.

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 05:46:11

Well it had a good run. *Hats Off* Good bye Cleveland, will miss you, maybe a bit.

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-04-20 11:23:49

I was just saying how this was a show that I personally didn't like. I'm so happy! I have honestly been watching it lately because there has been nothing else on and I can at least now make fun of it. Since the show was dumb and had nothing to do with Cleveland (as it changed his whole family) it deserved it. How many fat dads, hot moms, and awkward kids are there for Macfarlane to work with?!

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 20:13:57

At 4/17/13 11:46 PM, Bryan wrote: Good. I'll never forgive it for trying to fill the timeslot of King of the Hill. It was just a less-funny, more racially-stereotypical version of Family Guy.

You have no idea how much I agree.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 22:57:27

At 10/7/13 08:50 PM, CosmicRainbow wrote: I think we should all know what show the jewel of the crown is by now.

That show is okay. I certainly wouldn't call it great.

When I watch Macfarlane's shows I'm always distracted by how creatively bankrupt they are.

He's more of an imitative person than a creative one, in my opinion.

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-07 23:37:56

At 10/7/13 10:33 PM, GameChild214 wrote:
At 10/7/13 08:50 PM, CosmicRainbow wrote: I think we should all know what show the jewel of the crown is by now.
Agreed, family guy has gotten stale.

When wasn't Family Guy "stale"?

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 00:12:54

Seth comes up with every single idea on the show. That's why he total doesn't have a pretty big writing and directing cast for each individual episode.

filler text

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 02:04:01

At 4/19/13 03:47 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote: How did the tables get turned? How did having complete control and good stuff turn into having complete control and crap stuff?

The simple answer is that American Dad is significantly better than Family Guy ever was, even in its pre-cancellation prime, and you might be giving MacFarlane a little too much credit. Though to be fair (especially since I'm spending the rest of my post shitting on him) there are always a handful of good bits in even the worst episode of Family Guy, I really liked Ted, and I didn't think his Oscar hosting gig was the disaster everyone made it out to be. MacFarlane is a funny guy (and FWIW a pretty great voice actor) but he's very hit or miss and, more importantly, he has no restraint.

Family Guy isn't a fundamentally different show now than it was before it was cancelled, it's just that now MacFarlane and his writers have free reign to indulge their worst tendencies because the show is a huge juggernaut and nobody is going to say "no" to them. So we get all the cheap shock humor, the lazy pop culture references, the repetitive anti-jokes that go on and on for an interminable amount of time.

I also think (and for whatever reason this doesn't come up as often when people talk about the show) that Family Guy's runaway success over the past decade has inflated MacFarlane's ego to the point where rather than just pay homage to All in the Family in his show's opening credits (and in Peter and Lois's voices; hell, look at how much they're drawn to look like Edith and Archie Bunker in the show's original pilot from 1995), he now actually fancies himself the second coming of Norman Lear (which explains The Cleveland Show in the first place: it's MacFarlane's The Jeffersons).

So now because of that attitude Family Guy does all these bullshit "social issue" episodes where we're suddenly expected to take the characters seriously (when previously they had just been interchangeable joke dispensers) and become invested in whatever themes MacFarlane wants to discuss even though the show has done nothing to earn it. Really this is the biggest difference between "new" Family Guy and Family Guy pre-cancellation. Thing is, MacFarlane is no Norman Lear, and for every didactic "issue" episode that tries to shed a sobering light on some bigotry or injustice, there are literally dozens of jokes that baldly reinforce them.

Basically, the difference between then and now is that now MacFarlane has even more complete control, and he also seems to be under the impression that his show is important, which only makes things worse.

Seriously. American Dad is brilliant. Too bad neither MacFarlane nor FOX recognize that and they're putting it out to pasture on TBS, while Family Guy is probably going to drag on forever like The Simpsons. Fuckers.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:23:11

American Dad better than Family Guy? I disagree. While Family Guy is mediocre, I think American Dad is just absolute shit. I find it to be terrible.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:26:23

Maybe there will be new King of the Hill

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:37:09

At 10/8/13 11:26 AM, vannila-guerilla wrote: Maybe there will be new King of the Hill

That would be weird what with Britanny Murphy dead.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:44:19

^ You can thank Western animation for influencing the Japanese in the beginnings of "anime".

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 11:52:37

loldenial

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 12:15:07

loldenial

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cleveland Show cancelled. 2013-10-08 12:15:07

At 10/8/13 11:56 AM, supergandhi64 wrote: while other people deny that japanese anime grew & developed as a medium by itself.

Nothing grows and develops as a medium "by itself," that's totally inane.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature