00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

More "easy Listening" Sub-genres

3,581 Views | 40 Replies

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-19 13:13:37

At 4/19/13 01:05 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Does anyone else find it extremely funny that cinematic orchestral music and insane jazz pieces can be called "easy listening", but ambient is apparently not easy listening?

Yeah, I think beforehand ambient was just "ambient" but now it's only listed under "electronic".... though really, most of the pieces found in that category tended to be at least somewhat electronic

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-19 13:42:07

At 4/19/13 01:05 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Does anyone else find it extremely funny that cinematic orchestral music and insane jazz pieces can be called "easy listening", but ambient is apparently not easy listening?

I like the new ideas so far! My biggest problem is the cringing I go through every time I post a "classical" piece and have to plaster "Easy Listening" onto it. Some notable examples of stuff that Newgrounds considers "Easy Listening". I feel a renaming or reordering is called for here, just my two cents. The title is terribly misleading.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 14:56:25

At 4/20/13 02:25 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: umm I doubt easy listening needs sub genre's.

What, when EDM has TWELVE?
See the various posts above, and explain why you think otherwise.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:14:12

I think the sub-genres are not meant for "labelling" music as such a thing or another-- even though it tends to have that side effect -- but rather as a guide for people who may be looking for specific pieces of music to suit their needs. I believe sub-genres are pretty useful in this regard. It helps when sorting through all the electronic music, for example. Having just one "Electronic" category is really broad - there's not just one kind of style they share, you now? So I think this is rather important.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:16:51

At 4/20/13 03:07 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:
At 4/20/13 02:56 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 4/20/13 02:25 PM, DJRAV3N wrote: umm I doubt easy listening needs sub genre's.
Id rather not read through all this shit. Instead im going to explain why. First EDM should just be EDM, sub genre's are Stupid. I mean really Do we have to Define and label every piece Of music we make or hear? Electronic Dance Music can it get more simple than that? Same goes for easy listening, You Know where im going with This....

No, you have absolutely no idea where you're going.

The reason why people put things in subgenres is because (as was the case in the early years of the AP) when everything is lumped into one big category, it makes it HARDER for people to find songs that they are looking for in Flash submissions. Not everyone uses the Audio Forums; some of them have to be searched through lists.

If I were looking for something courageous along these lines and I can't find the song I'm looking for, I have to go with the same old convoluted procedure of the Audio Forum threads, which in 99% of cases turn out to be no more than shameless portfolio advertising threads which don't give me the song I need. Don't believe me? Just look for yourself through the AP history for threads looking for particular songs.

Also, people have specific preferences. It's going to cause a lot of dissatisfaction if I happen to love trance (which I do) but despise dubstep, and everything's lumped into the EDM category.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:26:01

At 4/20/13 03:22 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:
At 4/20/13 03:16 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 4/20/13 03:07 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:
At 4/20/13 02:56 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Id rather not read through all this shit. Instead im going to explain why. First EDM should just be EDM, sub genre's are Stupid. I mean really Do we have to Define and label every piece Of music we make or hear? Electronic Dance Music can it get more simple than that? Same goes for easy listening, You Know where im going with This....
No, you have absolutely no idea where you're going.
Actually I know EXACLY where im Going.

Obviously labeling a genre of a genre, the system is flawed. How well has it worked for NG?

Quite well, in fact, that often new submissions in the particular genres have been featured in Flash submissions getting from Daily Fifth to Daily First. Mine aren't the only examples, but the point is that people look for specific genres because they get more sophisticated over time.

You should have been here long enough to realise that these things do happen, and to see it from a Flash artist's point of view....... unless you're unlucky enough to have not been featured even once.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:47:59

At 4/20/13 03:45 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:

Quite well, in fact, that often new submissions in the particular genres have been featured in Flash submissions getting from Daily Fifth to Daily First. Mine aren't the only examples, but the point is that people look for specific genres because they get more sophisticated over time.

You should have been here long enough to realise that these things do happen, and to see it from a Flash artist's point of view....... unless you're unlucky enough to have not been featured even once.
I doubt that.

Live by the Genre, Die by the Genre.

No, I dont really come here often at all anymore. Been busy with labels and stuff behind the scenes, Living life.

You make it seem like being featured on a newgrounds video that only NG people are going to see is important. Like O.M.G!

If you don't like it leave.

You clearly have some grudge against NG, probably because you didn't get the attention you wanted here.
Plenty other websites for you to troll and dick about on.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:53:24

At 4/20/13 03:47 PM, LazyBucks wrote:
At 4/20/13 03:45 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:

I doubt that.

Live by the Genre, Die by the Genre.

No, I dont really come here often at all anymore. Been busy with labels and stuff behind the scenes, Living life.

You make it seem like being featured on a newgrounds video that only NG people are going to see is important. Like O.M.G!
If you don't like it leave.

You clearly have some grudge against NG, probably because you didn't get the attention you wanted here.
Plenty other websites for you to troll and dick about on.

First of all, @DVRav3n, I thought I told you to piss off, you're bringing exactly nothing constructive to this debate and you're quite obviously trolling.

Secondly, @Lazybucks, that's a really bad argument. I agree about your base argument, but the "don't like it, don't use it" argument is total and utter bullshit. Constructive criticism is the building block to any successful venture, and you can't simply block criticism like that.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 15:56:49

First of all, @DVRav3n, I thought I told you to piss off, you're bringing exactly nothing constructive to this debate and you're quite obviously trolling.

Secondly, @Lazybucks, that's a really bad argument. I agree about your base argument, but the "don't like it, don't use it" argument is total and utter bullshit. Constructive criticism is the building block to any successful venture, and you can't simply block criticism like that.

Fair enough but to be honest there are too many trolls hitting up this thread and the last thing I want is the thread derailed and undermined by some pathetic trolls.

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 16:10:59

At 4/20/13 04:00 PM, DJRAV3N wrote:

First of all im not trolling. If I remember correctly you all attacked me. I was just sharing some knowledge. Dont Get Mad because I exposed newgrounds audio portal as the Circle Jerk it is. I like how your telling me to piss off like you own this website?

I don't even know what you're blathering on about, who you are, or where you came from. How about you go back to your little indie "label" or whatever you call it and only make suggestions if you're going to participate in the end result (i.e. are a person who presently writes "easy listening" and submit your work gladly to Newgrounds and participate in the Audio Portal community regularly and constructively).

Back on topic...

So what is our final list for submission to the higher authority? Anyone want to piece it together so we can send it in to Tom or whomever is needed? I'd really like to see this going soon. Maybe then we can get that Zans Himmer thing going. :3

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to More "easy Listening" Sub-genres 2013-04-20 17:40:24

This is why "add more genres" threads don't work out.

RIP thread.