00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MssLibitina just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

best Dubstep VST?

24,180 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 14:40:41

I need like....uhmmm.... a new VST to make DUb guys im so tired of The Massive and FM8
any suggestions?

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 14:44:59

There is no "Best VST"... On the flip side, a lot of people would argue Massive is the best... Dunno what you mean by, "I'm tired of it", if that means you don't know how to use it properly, or if you just got bored of it (In which case you should realize making music isn't like playing a game, you shouldn't just get bored of VSTs and move on just to have some new interface to look at).

But since you're looking for suggestions... Omnisphere.

Also... in before "Y DUBSTEP?!"

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 14:48:09

Well most people use Massive for synths commonly used in dubstep. You can make some good LFO'd synths in pretty much every VST. I tend to use 3xosc myself quite a lot.

New tune: Yag

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 14:55:28

A guy on the internet was showing off his MASSIVE and he got all those wub-wub swizpt wooble sounds, but it is really expensive.

SUCK MY KICK

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 14:58:57

At 1/17/13 02:40 PM, WilliamSSA wrote: I need like....uhmmm.... a new VST to make DUb guys im so tired of The Massive and FM8
any suggestions?

Bored of Massive? How do you get bored of a program that can do virtually anything dubstep? Learn how to make your own presets. Stock pretests are crap on Massive anyways.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-17 15:14:07

At 1/17/13 02:40 PM, WilliamSSA wrote: I need like....uhmmm.... a new VST to make DUb guys im so tired of The Massive and FM8
any suggestions?

Massive is the by far most commonly used VST for Dubstep. You can give z3ta+ a try, but I strongly recommend you to watch / read some Massive tutorials. If you already bought such expensive synthesizers, you should learn how to use them instead of searching other ones. Massive is by the way also one of the more.. accessible VSTs. You can get great results with only a little knowledge & practice, and still it offers a lot of advanced options.

So, my suggestion: Stick to Massive!

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 00:22:44

What kinds of Massive?

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 00:31:40

At 1/19/13 12:22 AM, sugarsimon wrote: What kinds of Massive?

What do you mean, "what kinds"? There's only one version of NI's Massive.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 01:39:41

At 1/19/13 12:31 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 1/19/13 12:22 AM, sugarsimon wrote: What kinds of Massive?
What do you mean, "what kinds"? There's only one version of NI's Massive.

Do not question the sugarsimon. sugarsimon's words are absolute.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 01:58:21

I would recommend this FREE Noise Generator!

It's really good for creating those atonal dubsteppy sounds that errbady be makin these days

lol fuk u

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 01:58:57

At 1/19/13 01:39 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Do not question the sugarsimon. sugarsimon's words are absolute.

NOPE

olololololololololololleuqwiorudsfotgjbdfhk

But as an answer to OP, any VST can be used for dubstep really. Just add a shit load of distortion, and you'll have a filthy, gritty-as-fuck synth.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-19 02:52:00

Okay, I hear this question a lot.

A VST pretty much makes simple sounds and changes them with effects and modulation.We all know that. All VSTs do this in one way, shape, or form. However some have different interfaces and workflows to others.
However most VSTs can do the same things. At the same time, and due to their different interfaces, all these different VSTs can also make slightly different sounds that others can't.

For an example of the former, let's use two popular VSTs - Native Instruments'sMassive and FL Studio's built in tool3xOsc. Both are triple-oscillator synths with changeable waveforms.
Making, say, a very simple jungle reese bassline is accomplishable in both synths.Take two/three saws, detune two/one of them. Done.
We could go one step further and add a lowpass filter and EQ up the low end to help it sit in the bass register better. Massive can do this with built-in filters and a simple EQ. With 3xOsc, however, we may need to end up using external filters. There's no problem with that; personally I like using external effects in comparo to internal ones! But that's just me, and that's why I'd prefer to make a reese in 3xOsc than Massive.

Now for an example of the latter; both Massive and 3xOsc can all make simple sounds with three oscillators and simple on-board envelope control. But with the help of it's unique brand of inbuilt automation, one person could create and sequence a simple synthesised drum beat in the one VST, whereas the same thing would not be as possible in 3xOsc by default.
And how about the classic and infamous Modern Talking bass? 3xOsc could never really accomplish this, as it can't play the Modern Talking waveform (one could sample it, though, into 3xOsc's custom waveform feature. But why do it when you could just use Massive?).

However, both use wavetable synthesis, so are both comparable and can be used for similar things. In fact, I use a lot of 3xOsc and Operator in lieu of Massive and FM8 for my music!
But FM8 does FM synthesis, which makes comparing it to 3xOsc or Massive equal to comparing apples and plums.

So, all VSTs have their features that make them stand out from others, ergo making them better for some forms of music.
Now that we know this, let's define what a "dubstep bass" actually is:

- Usually sitting in the low-mid-range,
- Often has some form of constant and synchronised modulation on one of the parameters - a filter, pwm, the volume, etc.,
- Gritty and distorted,
- Can be repetitive,
- Sometimes has a "vocal"/"vowel" sound in the instrument.

With these criteria we can start to see which synthesisers and what synth methods are suiting dubstep.

FM Synthesisis always good for getting a vocal sound (the classic "bitcrusher"/"yoi-yoi" sound, usually). It uses a lot of modulation-based work for making sounds - tweaking a certain knob can uncover a whole new sound, often. However it usually has a clinically clean sound associated with it, and usually the internal distortion is too clean and soft (this can often be fixed with external distortion effects, like Ohmicide or Fast Dist, however).
Plugins like Native Instruments's FM8 and Ableton's Operator use FM synthesis to create sounds.

Wavetable synthesis relies on using pre-defined waveforms, and therefore some people can tell what synth was used to make a sound (a la Modern Talking and Polysaw synths in Massive - easy to pick out). However most WT synths make up for this by encompassing a lot of on-board effects and filters.
Plugins like Massive, 3xOsc, chipsounds and Dirty Harry use wavetable synthesis to make sounds.

There are other synthesis methods like subtractive, additive, and AM synthesis, which all have their perks and caveats. Look them up for more info.

That said, a lot of the synth work actually lies outside of the synth itself, and in the external effects. So make sure you invest a lot of time into external automation, filters and effects as well as the initial design of the synth!

Personally, I use Operator (FM, built into Ableton),3xOsc (WT, built into FL Studio), Thor (a lot of synth methods, built into Reason) and Vanguard (unsure, VST plugin), with a lot of external effects - usually the ones built into Reason, FL and Ableton. I will say this: a few of my favourite third party plugins areOhmicide for distortion, the CMT Bitcrusher for a lot of effects, and this random zip-file full of various guitar distortion pedal emulations (which really affect the sound a lot).

Really, there's no one "best" dubstep synth. But I hope this info here helps you pick out a good synth to use!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 01:49:50

At 1/17/13 02:44 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: making music isn't like playing a game, you shouldn't just get bored of VSTs and move on just to have some new interface to look at...

No, I think he has a point. I often "get bored" of using a synth after a while, mainly because it's capabilities are a little short of what I need. A new interface and a new batch of sounds is always a helpful thing to get the workflow moving again!

If we were all taught that we should not get bored of synths, then why do other plugins exist? It's not like you have to stay with the one VST for your entire life!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 04:50:00

At 1/19/13 02:52 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: both use wavetable synthesis

3xosc is subtractive dude, do u even compress m8

anyway UNIQUE is a really cool synth
has the fuckin best formant filter built in, too

p.s. i am gay

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 04:54:46

At 1/22/13 04:50 AM, midimachine wrote:

Really? I pretty much tought because it had preset waveforms that it was a wavetable synth :v

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 05:31:39

At 1/22/13 04:54 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/22/13 04:50 AM, midimachine wrote:
Really? I pretty much tought because it had preset waveforms that it was a wavetable synth :v

nah
wavetable synthesis is basically a shitton of single-cycle waveforms that are stacked & modulated
but not the same as the LSDJ wave synth which is a lookup-table oscillator
and not the same as granular synthesis which makes lots of little "windows" of sound out of a longer sound and then shuffles and overlaps them

subtractive synthesis is when you take preset waveforms preferably with a rich harmonic content (e.g. saw & pulse waves) and then subtract harmonics with filters

also i'm probably fundamentally incorrect about parts or all of these explanations :v

p.s. i am gay

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 06:06:20

At 1/17/13 04:21 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I think vsti that made specific for dubstep wub/synth is Massive, Razor, Z3ta+ or Sawer. I could be wrong.

z3ta is more trance than anything. But as for the origional comment go with Massive all the way as stated above.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 06:34:23

Yeah, do some tutorials and spend solid amounts of time making your own synth patches from scratch. Massive and FM8 are some of the best, if not the best, synthesizers for dubstep.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2013-01-22 06:39:02

At 1/22/13 06:34 AM, The-iMortal wrote: spend solid amounts of time making your own synth patches from scratch.

But first look at the presets, of course!

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-19 16:50:43

Serum and Harmor are two of the most powerful synths out there. Harmor, is possibly the best additive synthesizer out there, and Serum is often referred to as Massive 2.0. It has a better interface than Massive, and can do a lot more things easier than you can in Massive.

I make music.

BBS Signature

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-19 20:53:28

Try junglist: It offers a wide variety of dubstep sounds(Discontinued sadly, go look around)
There is also Reaktor to consider, and you also may want to use massive a little bit more.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-20 08:03:39

Old thread, but oh well.

I still stand by Eclipsis as a very good way to create all sorts of dubstep sounds. It doesn't have built-in distortion, but some of the wavetables (notably distort guitar) are really good at distorting things via FM.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-21 10:36:14

Everyone and their mother in the dubstep community is using Serum almost exclusively now. Most of my friends who make dubstep use Serum (myself included) the sounds you can make in it are insane.

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-21 11:24:32

My favorite VST for dubstep is Serum, Junglist and Massive. I have got some nice Dubstep sounds out of vanguard before but I wouldn't recommend it. But I just love the sound that comes out of Serum and pretty much all the songs I've produced on Newgrounds which contain dubstep sections, is using Serum. But I tend to sequence it, bounce it down then cut it up and rearrange it to make the best sounds!

You can get Serum here: https://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

I got an extra package with loads of dubstep sounds, which is about four libraries worth and cost me around $50 which aint bad. I got a bunch of free dubstep presets also, but I can't for the life of me find the website I got them off :(

This is the song which uses Serum as the main dubstep sounds! "Sugar Plum Fairy" http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/700864 as well as this one "Rough Dub" http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/701014

Massive is still a really good VST, but mainly use it for Drum and Bass/heavy EDM music, but I read somewhere that Skrillex uses Massive for his main Synth of choice as well as Billy Van. Ive also started to use A vst called Sylenth, I haven't really used it as such on any of my music on Newgrounds, but will start in the future (Avicii uses Sylenth, so if your into that kind of music, you should look into that also).

I hope this info is useful to you and you can find a decent Dubstep producing VSTi.

P.S I don't think junglist is available anymore, I picked up my copy of it nearly a decade ago....but its a really good VST and well worth a look if you can get hold of it! https://www.kvraudio.com/product/junglist_by_synapse_audio

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-22 21:46:28

Give Serum a try. I just bought it today after a bunch of research, and it's fine AF.
Here's a thing I made in like, less than half an hour with it.

SoundCloud | Discord: Wojo#0001 |

BBS Signature

Response to best Dubstep VST? 2016-09-28 14:26:29

I mainly use Serum and made this this afternoon in about half hour with it...http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/705826?updated=1475087008