00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

E-books are bad.

3,084 Views | 44 Replies

E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 09:27:05

Anybody else despise e-books? It's such a soulless way to read a book.

I need the feeling of holding paper in my hands to get immersed in a book.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 09:34:01

Atleast you can get them for "free" though

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 09:38:19

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-kaufman/google-books-and-
kindles_b_380536.html

According to this article, Hitler would have been a big fan of the e-book.

E-books are bad.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 09:45:05

At 12/18/12 09:43 AM, BizzarroPMP wrote: i see that as kind of hipster to say you "need the feel of real paper," like people who own record players and think they're so much deeper into music than others.

Not using paper is a good thing. And ebook readers simulate the real paper look really well.

lol why are you so mad about vinyl that you have to take it into another thread?

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 09:55:36

At 12/18/12 09:43 AM, BizzarroPMP wrote: i see that as kind of hipster to say you "need the feel of real paper,"

How does actually holding the fucking book you're reading make you a hipster?

like people who own record players and think they're so much deeper into music than others.

This thread is about e-books. Not about vinyl.
Please keep all talk about vinyls in THAT thread.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:03:49

Well I have a bookcase in my room littered with different novels, science books and textbooks. And yes I enjoy admiring my collection, but sometimes its more practical to buy an ebook, see if I like it, and then buy it in paper form if I really like it.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:07:15

i got my ebook stolen by a black guy along with my toothbrush and a bottle of water.they will steal anything nowadays

follow me to the promised land

I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:12:03

At 12/18/12 09:45 AM, MonthlyVolatile wrote:
At 12/18/12 09:38 AM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-kaufman/google-books-and-
kindles_b_380536.html

According to this article, Hitler would have been a big fan of the e-book.
My god, you're such a colossal idiot that it's not even funny.

I didn't write the article. I'm just relaying information.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:25:45

Yeah, it bugs me. I especially dislike them because people like to get pdfs for free and load them onto their e-reader. It's irritating, because a used book is worth about 2-5 dollars in a used book store.

I can't stand looking at people using e-readers, and I can't read without holding a real book. I have tried reading on a pdf on my laptop / desktop before, it is doable but annoying.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:26:41

At 12/18/12 10:23 AM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: Hitler probably drank milk, drinking milk doesn't make me a Nazi, a Nazi sympathizer or a Holocaust denier."

OH BURN CALL THE BURN WARD

also,i fucking love you

follow me to the promised land

I hope I'm not stinking up the place with my superior logic

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:26:54

I agree. I just can't get into e-books.

I can't help but feel that I'm missing out and that I'm no different to an old man who can't get into the technology that we use today but damnit I just really can't get into e-books.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 10:29:24

At 12/18/12 10:26 AM, Halberd wrote: I agree. I just can't get into e-books.

I can't help but feel that I'm missing out and that I'm no different to an old man who can't get into the technology that we use today but damnit I just really can't get into e-books.

what I meant to say is that maybe even though we can't get into e-books maybe the next generation if they are brought up reading e-books will adapt to them more easily meaning that e-books aren't objectively bad

p.s there are e-book devices that have been made so that it doesn't cause eye strain in the way a computer or t.v screen would and it doesn't even look like anything electronic at all even though it is so don't bring that point up

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 11:28:12

At 12/18/12 09:43 AM, BizzarroPMP wrote: i see that as kind of hipster to say you "need the feel of real paper," like people who own record players and think they're so much deeper into music than others.

Not using paper is a good thing. And ebook readers simulate the real paper look really well.

It's like you're not passionate about anything?

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 11:51:19

i don't think they are necesarily bad. it depends on the type of books you read. i prefer reading academic texts on my laptop.

the obvious advantage is that you can download a few e books from the internet and read them side by side. i can also look up formulas and important defintions conveniently whenever i have difficulty understanding a particular section. reading ebooks is much more economical than reading printed books if you need to digest a lot of information.

but i agree that printed books are better if they belong to other genres.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 11:54:31

I usually don't read books, but I don't like reading ebooks. It just isn't the same really, I can't really consider an ebook a real book, even if it is the same exact book, just digital.

Where's the pickle?

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 15:56:52

How am I supposed to read my Dark Knight children's book on a Kindle?

Impossible! Meaningless!

E-books are bad.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 15:57:32

I like the smell of books.

Plus, books don't have a battery life.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:04:28

At 12/18/12 09:27 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Anybody else despise e-books? It's such a soulless way to read a book.

Video Games are bad. I need the feeling of getting together with my family and friends and playing some Battleship.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:13:22

Fun facts: Records players have been around for almost 100 years, and books/paper have been for ~4000 years....so your hipster argument is not only stupid and vapid, it's also not founded in reality.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:21:22

At 12/18/12 04:04 PM, simon wrote:
At 12/18/12 09:27 AM, Darthdenim wrote: Anybody else despise e-books? It's such a soulless way to read a book.

Video Games are bad. I need the feeling of getting together with my family and friends and playing some Battleship.

It's more like playing Battleship on the computer as opposed to on a table with your family and friends. Books were never made to be digital just as Far Cry 3 was never made to be played in a family setting.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:22:43

At 12/18/12 04:15 PM, Provoke wrote: I had a kindle e-book once, I hated the way it made all my books feel weird to read. I love the smell of a old book, and without paper I just can't take it seriously.

I actually agree, the smell of book is amazing and its too noticable without it. I know they try to make the pages look like its made of paper too but it just isnt the same.

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:25:12

At 12/18/12 04:15 PM, Provoke wrote: I had a kindle e-book once, I hated the way it made all my books feel weird to read. I love the smell of a old book, and without paper I just can't take it seriously.

I'm reading a book now that reeks of that musty smell.

I like to hold it to my noise and breath it in.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:26:49

I had a kindle e-book once, I hated the way it made all my books feel weird to read. I love the smell of a old book, and without paper I just can't take it seriously.

Giles explains the concept well.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 16:50:37

All books are degrading even new ones, books are not a definitive form of keeping text alive though they are the most common and is still a good idea to possess at least one copy for everything online incase computers were to no longer work to be able to copy and spread the text once more.

As for whether I like them or not, I am fine with ebooks, I don't read many but I do write my own stories and upload them online and I can greatly appreciate the concept, making anyone able to write and supply any text of any size and context without needing to get it published.

That added to the fact that actually published novels can be easily obtained in an instant online and the convenience truly stands out. Not to mention also having the ability to change the font size / colour / background shade makes reading on such a format useful for people with problems reading.

There are many preferences to reading a solid book you can hold in your hands and not need a screen to see. But alas having both forms to read it makes it better for everyone, as some will like the books while others will require the larger fonts etc.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 18:18:56

A e-book is easier to fit in my pocket on the go.

It's hard carrying a backpack of books all the freaking time!

...Then again my back muscles have never been stronger.

My logic has a tendency of getting me getting stuck in the middle.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 18:38:28

i have an e-reader, but I still prefer holding the actual book.

PSN:Ryder-Omega/Steam:Ryder Omega

I'm that lazy bastard who doesn't bother to take down his damn Christmas lights. I still have the fucking kriss-kringle hats from last year!

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 19:18:06

I don't use anything but e-books nowadays. They don't take up a shitload of space.

EGB || Sig by EmmaVolt

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 20:12:48

I have a Kindle 3, and have not regretted the decision of buying it at any point. At first, I thought that not having real paper in my hands would lessens the experience. But then I remembered that I don't give a fucking shit, and would rather have all of my books on one device, rather than throwing them in my closet, where they just sit uselessly and take up space.

Also, it's very east to just pirate books and stuff them onto said kindle. I'm pretty sure my Kindle's payed for itself by now with free books.

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 20:17:37

At 12/18/12 08:12 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Also, it's very east to just pirate books and stuff them onto said kindle. I'm pretty sure my Kindle's payed for itself by now with free books.

I wasnt sure how easy it was to do that but if its that easy then yeah I can see the point of getting one, only need the cheaper model too.

BBS Signature

Response to E-books are bad. 2012-12-18 20:24:26

At 12/18/12 08:17 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 12/18/12 08:12 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: Also, it's very east to just pirate books and stuff them onto said kindle. I'm pretty sure my Kindle's payed for itself by now with free books.
I wasnt sure how easy it was to do that but if its that easy then yeah I can see the point of getting one, only need the cheaper model too.

You can buy a Kindle that displays advertisements (it costs like $20 less or something like that), which sounds lame, except if you turn WiFi off, and there's no point to keeping it on if you're pirating the books, then the advertisements time-out, and don't get displayed at all. Seeing as how books, even digital, cost like $10 or more, your kindle will pay for itself, if your an avid reader like myself.

btw the Kindle only supports the .mobi format, so make sure you use that. The other common one is .epub, which doesn't work.