00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Non-religious in a Christian family

3,368 Views | 66 Replies

Are any of you in this situation?

For me, I am the -ONLY- agnostic in my entire Christian family. Whenever I am around my family I got nothing to say.

Also, does anybody feel that when they're having a conversation with a Christian, does it seem some what 'fake' to you? i.e., awkward laughs, restricted to what you should say, etc.

If you have ever experience this type of stuff, please feel free to share it.

NOTE: The purpose of this thread is NOT to change someone's opinion, but to discuss how to deal with situations like this. You get the drill.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 21:45:53

I don't know what the hell I am, my mom is Jewish and my dad is a Jehovah's Witness and I just don't go to church or anything.

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 21:47:12

Move here to the UK because almost literally no one could give two shits about religion.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 21:53:35

At 12/15/12 09:49 PM, Scary wrote: i don't live in a religious family but i have gone to dinner at christian houses

usually when they say grace i just follow their example but usually don't say 'amen' or anything

it would feel rude to just sit there staring at them doing it so i just join in to not offend them

When my canadian uncle comes over he does that but he doesnt really care when no one else does it.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 21:56:32

At 12/15/12 09:45 PM, PrincessRanicorn wrote: I don't know what the hell I am, my mom is Jewish and my dad is a Jehovah's Witness and I just don't go to church or anything.

You're Jewish. If you were born to a Jewish mother then you are Jewish as well.

@OP I'm not a very devout Christian, whereas my parents are much more involved - so I kinda get where you're coming from. However they seem comfortable with who I am, enough so that I don't have to deal with them regarding the quality of my faith. Same goes for my relatives too.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 21:59:23

At 12/15/12 09:56 PM, TailsPrower wrote:
At 12/15/12 09:45 PM, PrincessRanicorn wrote: I don't know what the hell I am, my mom is Jewish and my dad is a Jehovah's Witness and I just don't go to church or anything.
You're Jewish. If you were born to a Jewish mother then you are Jewish as well.

But I've never practiced the religion? lol, speaking of which is it a religion or a race?

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 22:04:31

At 12/15/12 09:59 PM, PrincessRanicorn wrote:
But I've never practiced the religion? lol, speaking of which is it a religion or a race?

it's more of a culture than a race.

saying jews are a race is like saying gingers are a race.

coppercab reference ftw

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 22:08:16

At 12/15/12 10:03 PM, notYert wrote:
At 12/15/12 09:58 PM, Ilssm wrote: Personally I shook my head/rolled my eyes.
funny, i do the same thing to your presence on these forums

Thats a coincidence, I do too to his presence.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 22:08:53

At 12/15/12 10:07 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote:
At 12/15/12 10:01 PM, Ilssm wrote:
Ever since The Holocaust, people refer to it as a race but just see it as a religion.
What the fuck are you even...

the more you know...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 22:09:06

At 12/15/12 10:07 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote:
At 12/15/12 10:01 PM, Ilssm wrote:
Ever since The Holocaust, people refer to it as a race but just see it as a religion.
What the fuck are you even...

I don't know what to believe about myself

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 22:14:22

I always feel uncomfortable seeing my Uncle for Christmas, he has a crucifix in his house and goes to church on Sundays while I am Atheist. I don't mention it to him, out of respect, but it makes me feel alienated.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:14:27

My parents aren't religious and I grew up with my mother in an unreligious setting, with a slight view of christianity mostly for tradition. All she did religion wise was to take me with her to church once a year around Christmas for traditions sake, other than that she never talked about god or neither talked about atheism, we just sort of ignored it all.

My wider family however were more religious, my grand parents where Christian though they never really talked about it, we just went to visit them around Christmas for a big enjoyable meal as a buffet style deal which was great. My mothers brother on the other hand was quite religious himself unlike my mother but they tended not to get along too well so we didn't have to deal with him that much. He was a nice man, but his views were a little, excessive, when it came to wanting to demand Christian beliefs.

The most religious of our family was my great uncle who was incredibly Christian, we went around to his mansion on Christmas day and had an absolutely huge meal on the grand table, it was great. He also dressed up as Father Christmas to give us all presents. My mother didn't pretend he was the character herself to us she was quite open with agreeing with us when we said it was our uncle, but regardless it was a family tradition and we continued to do it and let him do what he wished each year, we went along with the prayers he would give before meals and not question the Christian stuff he would say as for once a year it was nice to listen to him as he was close to the only member of our family to be such an adapt Christian and it was kind to let him believe what he wished, as all should do.

Over all my family mostly kept to themselves and we did the same, so the Christian members had their values and we had ours and as far as we know they likely thought we were still Christian, as I suppose we still are, but that they thought we still practiced it.

The single problem we had with our families religion was when they would attempt to force their views, for example when my mother let it slip that I wasn't straight (She isn't exactly the best at keeping her mouth closed) she got quite a lot of hatred from it from her brother and my great Uncle, as they had the view that homosexuality etc. was sinful and you cn sort of see how that went down. But after a while they sort of shut up as they realised yelling at my mother due to my sexual orientation isn't going to do anything, it isn't like she can force me to change it. The best way to deal with that is to just keep our families separate and not talk to each other. Which sadly is what happened after my grand parents died. But alas when the family is as broken as it is then you don't have to worry about religious views of those members anymore I suppose.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:17:26

Eh be honest and unrestricted,people who are restricted because of those aorund them

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:23:23

At 12/15/12 11:14 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:

As far as living with religious people goes, I would actually classify school to be far more of a problem than my family ever was. Since I went to a ridiculously Christian secondary school which not only held prayers in the asemblies but also occasionally brought in vicars to talk and also forced every student to walk down to a church on their special founding day thing for listening to prayers AND sing some. Needless to say many of us just stayed at home on that day and they couldn't really complain about it too strictly as it isn't like it is legal to force people to do religious things. Oh wait, they did. Also when it came to religious education 90% of it was Christian, despite the point of it being to research all religions, yea.

I also once had some over the top Christian guy come into our school to talk to a group of us. He actually deliberately stated that homosexuals will go to hell. A speaker said that in a school...needless to say he kept that view even after I mentioned of my orientation. So I went straight to the teachers after that and pointed out what the guy did and how it was blatantly illegal to do that in a school, they said they would deal with it...but I bet they didn't.

So yea, when it comes to my family they weren't a problem at all compared to the shit I had to deal with in school.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:25:34

Atheist and skeptic, but I just pretend that I'm Christian. They don't need to know, and some label isn't exactly intrinsic to how I look at life.

It's not a big deal.

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:34:03

I'm an Atheist in a pretty christen family. It doesn't bother me at all. If I wasn't comfortable with my beliefs they probably wouldn't be genuine.

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:36:00

I'm in a similar situation, the only other agnostic in my family for the most part is my sister. Honestly, we just avoid discussing religion like the plague, because it doesn't really accomplish anything, other than strengthening the fact that our family holds different beliefs, and that expressing our differing views would only bring harassment.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:39:20

I'm an apatheist in a stereotypical black church family. As long as I don't shoehorn my lack of faith into every conversation I have, they actually leave me alone about it. Go fig.

Non-religious in a Christian family

Science can't lie.

BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-15 23:50:35

At 12/15/12 11:39 PM, kisame wrote: I'm an apatheist in a stereotypical black church family. As long as I don't shoehorn my lack of faith into every conversation I have, they actually leave me alone about it. Go fig.

lol that picture

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 00:07:48

I'm the only agnostic in my family. Honestly, I just keep it to myself when it comes to family. My friends all know, but really, it wouldn't do any good to tell my family. Most wouldn't care, but some would be upset, so I just pretend. Honestly, the worst thing is sitting through an hour of church every week, no big deal. My family isn't made up of fanatics, we just believe different things, and that's okay.

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 00:17:24

I don't really follow a religion, but I try to follow Jesus and his teachings, but all you can really do is be yourself around others.

I never really felt awkward in the presence of other Christians, except maybe certain Pastors because I feel they are really anointed by God and just being in their presence makes me feel something, and even more strange when they give sermons that I feel are directed at me regarding my life.

Are you not Entertained ?!?

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 01:44:22

I am completely in this situation myself. I come from a completely Jewish family, and I am an Atheist. It's interesting how my family continues to belittle me for my beliefs and act like their beliefs are the ones that matter. One time during Passover I wore a pentagram necklace which made my family rage like you wouldn't believe.

Since I have a Jewish last name it's annoying when people automatically call me Jewish. Just because my background is that way doesn't mean I have to believe in that sort of religion...are people really that stupid?

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 09:51:15

At 12/15/12 09:41 PM, Sequenced wrote:
For me, I am the -ONLY- agnostic

Agnostic? I think I have a cream for that

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 10:07:55

At 12/16/12 09:51 AM, DragonBallDavid wrote:
At 12/15/12 09:41 PM, Sequenced wrote:
For me, I am the -ONLY- agnostic
Agnostic? I think I have a cream for that

mommy, I'm scared.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 12:03:48

It must be difficult living in a world where you're victimized for being so much smarter than everyone else ;(

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 14:01:04

I am an atheist, and my uncle, who I spend a lot of time with, is Christian. It's never really affected how we interact, though. We just accept it and move on. Occasionally we'll get into a civil argument about the existence of a deity, but it never goes progresses beyond that point.

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 14:41:57

I'm the only atheist in my family, but my family isn't super religious or anything so it's not really a problem. Aside from a few minor debates with my dad it hasn't really had much of an effect on my interactions with my family.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 15:46:45

The majority of my fam is baptist and the rest are Catholic, and I always get into something with them. Talking to them is like I don't have an opinion at all, and I have no reason to denounce God because some book written by some guy tells me everything I need to know. I don't believe in any God I have ever learned about, but I don't and will never claim atheism because there is no proof that God-or simply a higher power- does not exist.

I find almost all Christians to be fake with their "I'm saved and will go to heaven, you're not and will go to Hell" attitude. It seems the majority pick out certain things, claim it, live it, but forget all the other stuff unless needed to throw in someone's face.

In the end I just find religion to be a way to scare and control others, hateful(despite what it's said to stand for), a waste of a way to pass time in my short life.

New and on the prowl. Nice to meet you and see you tonight!

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 15:49:52

At 12/15/12 09:47 PM, BumFodder wrote: Move here to the UK because almost literally no one could give two shits about religion.

Yep.

Although I live near Glastonbury which is very religious but moreso in a hippie-dippy mother-earth kind of way. Everyone is their own personal goddess etc.

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature

Response to Non-religious in a Christian family 2012-12-16 15:53:12

At 12/16/12 03:49 PM, Otto wrote:
At 12/15/12 09:47 PM, BumFodder wrote: Move here to the UK because almost literally no one could give two shits about religion.
Yep.

Although I live near Glastonbury which is very religious but moreso in a hippie-dippy mother-earth kind of way. Everyone is their own personal goddess etc.

Seriously though on Friday night I slept in a buddhist shrine that smelt strongly of dope

This is a song about cum on hotel walls.

BBS Signature