00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

is Mario dying?

3,998 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 14:52:16

Is it me or have the last few games in the plumbers franchise been too unoriginal and easy? Mario u was OK, but Mario 2 is pretty bad and the whole new super Mario games are just a failed attempt at reviving the series. Apart from Mario galaxy and 3d land all the others have felt so plain, so what do you think is he dying, or just going through a phase like Sonic did?

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 14:58:42

Probably. I've not really liked Mario for a while. It is the old ones that I really enjoy experiencing.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 15:18:50

At 12/15/12 02:58 PM, Sectus wrote: Probably. I've not really liked Mario for a while. It is the old ones that I really enjoy experiencing.

I'd have to agree that the older games were much better. However, I don't know if I'd say that Mario is dying off, simply because of how big of a deal Mario is to Nintendo. Truth be told, unless something unexpected happens, I would think that the day Mario would truly die off would be the day that Nintendo goes under.

With all of the titles in the series, and spin offs such as sports games, games like mario party, and so on, it would just genuinely surprise me to see Mario completely fade out of the picture, with Nintendo still standing strong.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 15:48:52

The problem is Nintendo is trying to make it just like Mario 3 again. They recycle enemies and themes in 'faithful throwbacks' but I see it as 'Hey look remember these? Mario 3 had these! Remember? REMEMBER?'

They dont spend enough time trying to be new or original. One thing that it outright needs is a different story or plot.
Kidnapping peach has become so redundant even fans are starting to hate it.

Remember the music of the older games? Remember the visual appeal? They set the fucking standards back then. Now a' days you cant get a Mario song stuck in your head. Theres nothing distinct or interesting about it.
Take notes from athletic theme Nintendo.

And by that I dont mean fucking copy/paste it with a modern orchestra, I mean make something that outshines even THIS.

The Mario wii and U games only exist because Nintendo wants to play it safe. Playing it safe doesn't get you anywhere. Either make bold innovation, or stop shitting down our throats.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 16:43:44

At 12/15/12 02:58 PM, Sectus wrote: Probably. I've not really liked Mario for a while. It is the old ones that I really enjoy experiencing.

Yeah, up to Paper Mario from the N64. Every other Mario past that game seems so blah to me. That's just my opinion though.

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 17:01:06

At 12/15/12 03:48 PM, sweet21 wrote: The problem is Nintendo is trying to make it just like Mario 3 again. They recycle enemies and themes in 'faithful throwbacks' but I see it as 'Hey look remember these? Mario 3 had these! Remember? REMEMBER?'

Exactly! They need to stop doing this and just make him original or it's a lost cause.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 17:23:51

I wouldn't say Mario is dying, all his recent games have been fun. The 3D Mario games sort of took precedence over the 2D games since Mario 64 came out.

I have enjoyed every single New Super Mario game, but Nintendo doesn't realize we want something New (and not just in the title).

The challenge mode in Mario U is genius. Do it again, but more, three times as much!

Give us new music, new powerups that have more than one use, like the racoon suit had flight and tail swiping! That penguin suit was genius! It had sliding, ice powers, and it made waters levels easier to control! Do more of that!

Give us new villains like the RPG's get! Fawful and Smithy are worshiped by fans, do not relegate them to RPGs! My request is to bring Wart from Mario 2 into the real world (not Mario's dream) and make Wart battle Bowser for power, and have Mario side with Bowser's minions!

The 3D Mario games have been more creative, Galaxy 1 and 2 hold 10 times as much creativity as 4 New Super Mario games. Give each level something different, like a ball rolling level, a vine level, a barrel level, an occasional remake level from old games, just don't play on what made past games great!

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 18:19:07

4 was pretty good and 5 and 6 were okay, but 7 sucked big dinosaur balls!
(thumbs up if you get it)

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 18:23:07

"Mario" and "dying" should never be in the same sentence. But seriously c'mon it's friggin Mario! The only way he's going to die is if we stop reproducing.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 19:33:22

It'll never die off, Mario is one of the most popular gaming characters in the world.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 19:57:29

Mario will not die as long as Nintendo exist. Fanboys of Nintendo suck at the tit of Mario and take each and every game that comes regardless of how completely identical it is to the previous or whatever flaws are present. They are in the position where they have such a gleeful supply of followers where they could release any shit with the name Mario on it and parents would buy every last copy.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 20:35:22

At 12/15/12 02:52 PM, darkjam wrote: Is it me or have the last few games in the plumbers franchise been too unoriginal and easy? Mario u was OK, but Mario 2 is pretty bad and the whole new super Mario games are just a failed attempt at reviving the series. Apart from Mario galaxy and 3d land all the others have felt so plain, so what do you think is he dying, or just going through a phase like Sonic did?

I thought Super Mario 3D Land was horrible, same with the Galaxy games. The only Mario sub-series that I still truly enjoy is the Paper Mario series and I'm psyched for Sticker Star.

The Juggernauts will awaken...

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-15 22:54:13

Franchises don't die as long as people enjoy the good installments.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-16 00:40:02

At 12/15/12 04:43 PM, Seamonky wrote:
Yeah, up to Paper Mario from the N64. Every other Mario past that game seems so blah to me. That's just my opinion though.

Sunshine was fantastic.

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-16 17:53:05

At 12/15/12 08:35 PM, ZombieKangaroo wrote:
I thought Super Mario 3D Land was horrible, same with the Galaxy games. The only Mario sub-series that I still truly enjoy is the Paper Mario series and I'm psyched for Sticker Star.

Those are some of the best games of this generation, so if you don'tnfind yourself liking those games, you're going to have troube liking any Mario games.

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-17 09:52:36

They've kind put them self in corner when it comes to Mario games. Because when you start naming your games as such things like "Galaxy" there isn't very much more to expanded upon.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-17 13:29:42

He's been on life support for quite a while now, herp.

But the 3D title on the Wii U will get him back in line, hopefully. Galaxy 1 and 2 are amazing.

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-17 17:19:16

At 12/15/12 07:57 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Fanboys of Nintendo suck at the tit of Mario

It's not even that, the fact that the children of today are so easily entertained and games no longer have a challenge then they just suck it up, meanwhile the hardcore fans or Mario who have been around since Mario 1 are just pissed out how they just focus on making the game for children and don't make it challenging whatsoever. Look at Mario 2 on the 3ds that was so easy i borrowed my cousins yesterday and completed in 3 hours, no challenge!

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-17 17:58:22

Mario is dying. Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were right steps. What I believe we need is a co-op game where you can play as both Mario and Luigi. However Mario can use his F.L.U.D.D. and Luigi can use his Poltergust 3000.

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-17 23:49:49

They should give a new spin to Mario. To be honest, we are following the same formula for years, and there's just only minor changes. Why not we make Mario even more badass and cooler. Gun Mushrooms anyone? Mario eats it and becomes a Bullet Bill. And Bowser becomes more evil.

I still like Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven Riven!

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 09:57:38

Yeah, pretty much. I mean, from what I've seen, Mario Galaxy was pretty good, but everything since then, and everything for the hand helds has been just rehashing the popular ones from way back. I mean, I'm not exactly sure I could make a better Mario game myself, but it just doesn't even seem like they're trying to do anything interesting.

"I've got a motivation problem so my standard break from life is getting longer"

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 10:16:23

He's a doctor, I'm sure if he ever has a heart attack or a stroke he'll be okay.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate

I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 10:58:26

Mario has already established himself as the proverbial mascot of Nintendo. Rumors about his death are grossly over-exaggerated, so don't expect everyone's favorite Italian plumber to fade out of the limelight just yet.

Signature...Ha...

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 12:21:44

Mario is not going to go anywhere, as long as Nintendo is still willing to milk the franchise. The problem is that they're trying to make the next SMB 3, and really, the closest they have come to that game is Super Mario 64, and everything else is up and down. Mario is probably the most well known character in not just video games, but pop culture as a whole, so naturally he's going to be in a lot of Nintendo games and usually take the spotlight in those games.

There really isn't much we can do for them to change the franchise, because it's not dying, it's simply getting stale, one thing they could implement in the future is to bring back the racoon suit as the main powerup for flight.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 15:40:15

At 12/18/12 10:58 AM, MoonClock wrote: Mario has already established himself as the proverbial mascot of Nintendo.

The problem is that his games are mainly side-scrollers, which get tedious and boring to play. just jumping and shooting every now and then or flying. They should be like Sonic and go to 3-D games mainly but still make side-scrollers. Also Nearly every other mascot for Nintendo are different in each game they make like Legend of Zelda and Pokemon. They introduce, new enemies, a new place to explore, and the best thing Zelda and Link are always different so you can never predict what they are like.

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 17:00:50

At 12/18/12 03:40 PM, darkjam wrote: They should be like Sonic

no

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 18:21:41

I think you are nuts. I love the new Mario games and have played the old ones since I was a kid.

The first Mario game I remember coming out was Mario Allstars on the SNES. I got my parents to rent it after a recital I had in kindergarten.

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 20:14:31

At 12/18/12 03:40 PM, darkjam wrote: They should be like Sonic and go to 3-D games mainly but still make side-scrollers.

That would be a great way to truly kill Mario, notice how Sonic is trying to go back to being a side-scroller? Yeah because 3D only sucked balls. This story nonsense was another thing that killed Sonic, people don't play these games for story (look how great Super Mario 64 is, with just a single text box at the beginning and a couple of lines after beating the final boss).

P.S. Mario is far from dying. Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario Galaxy = great games. Not tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii U yet, but I doubt it's anything but great.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 21:08:21

I don't know, though i have yet to see any era top the 16 bit one.

is Mario dying?

Response to is Mario dying? 2012-12-18 21:23:54

At 12/18/12 08:14 PM, simon wrote: P.S. Mario is far from dying. Super Mario 3D Land & Super Mario Galaxy = great games. Not tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii U yet, but I doubt it's anything but great.

This.

And do you know what the magical thing about Mario is? He has no natural super powers, that way Nintendo can give him something new in almost every game. Two of the best examples of this are Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. In those games Mario has no powers but then he meets with someone or something (Magic hats, the Fludd) that gives him just what he needs to save the day. It's a classic underdog turned hero story that everyone loves.

Where as with someone who already has a power, like Sonic, you can only take it so far before it gets repetitive. Sega tries to keep it fresh by introducing new characters with different powers but that only adds to the problem.