00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Games that take a while to get into

1,014 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Not all games can become exciting or addicting from the start. Sometimes you gotta stick with them for just a little bit before the action to begin. For example it took me a while to get into Street Fighter because i had to learn how to perform a Hadouken or a better Example is the Elder Scrolls series I knew I had to stick with it just to get to the fun stuff.

Have you ever had these experiences?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 12:30:30

It took me a very long time to get into New Vegas, but once I sat down and played for hours it was a really fun game.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 12:30:33

Dark Souls requires an investment on your behalf, which is why 80% of people quit.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 13:02:32

Dragon Age Origins intro was boring (at least the mage one (mage is always the way to go)), but im really, really glad i didnt give up on it

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 15:39:06

All Finaly Fantasy games, It only starts to get good when you hit level 80!

No but seriously, one game that this was a case with was shockingly LoZ: Ocarina of Time. I got bored at first cause all i was doing was doing menial chores, and being stlaked by the ever annoying Navi. But when i finally got past all that i could see why its called one of the best games of all time.

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 15:41:56

My experience with the original Deus Ex was like that. The game is very slow to begin with but the more you play the more you learn about the story and intriguing it gets. You also unlock sweet upgrades as you progress which is always nice.

"I don't got nothin'... but I'll give what I got"

-The Nightwatchman

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 15:46:42

Earthbound for me.

I was pretty sceptical about the game up to Happy Happy Village or so. The game just seemed too random to me and perhaps a bit outdated. However, as I progressed through it I started enjoying it more and more and now it's one of my favourite games of all time.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 15:56:27

Most modern shooters.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 15:57:44

Deadly Premonition.
Just gotta survive that intro.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 16:04:50

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask takes some time to get into, mainly because you're in that Deku Scrub form. It helps the first time around because you're exploring, but upon repeated gameplay it just becomes slow.

Chrono Trigger also takes a while to get into, but the plus side to this is for the first part of the game, you're at a fair so there is a lot of fun things for you to do and NPC dialogue which is actually... INTERESTING?

Parasite Eve takes A LONG TIME to get into. However if you can appreciate the story and the combat then you're good to go. Still it is a bit more realistic than other video games, some would say that this is one of its downfalls while others will praise it for this.

All Pokemon Games and I mean all of them! Even the spin-off games take some time to get into. It is one thing that I liked the original Pokemon Gold and Crystal over Pokemon HeartGold. HeartGold just wastes your fucking time. I know that a tutorial needs to be given, but damn does this take up way more time than it used to.

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-27 16:17:48

any turn based RPG.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-28 13:27:35

Kingdom Hearts 2. It was interesting, but sooooo boring.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-28 13:29:20

Oh, and Borderlands. It was okay-ish at first, but the lack of a story and varied gameplay put me off for a while. After getting used to it, though, I just got sucked in.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-29 23:08:49

Final Fantasy Tactics is easily a great example of this, and so is BlazBlue. When I first got BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, I immediately went to challenge mode to learn how to perform combos. I started with one of my favorite characters, Tsubaki Yayoi, until eventually, I got so good at the game, I played Makoto, and she takes a lot of patience to master.

SCREW THE SYSTEM!!! Play video games instead.My Official Art Thread! COMMENT ON IT!

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 00:05:07

Took me ages to get into Dead Space, to be honest. The same can be said for pretty much any scary game I happen to play, but that is just me.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 01:13:44

When I was a kid, I had Mario Golf and hated it because I thought it was boring. Now, I can play a few rounds of it on my N64 and enjoy it. I guess I just turned into a boring enough adult to appreciate the finer nuances of the game.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 06:55:35

At 9/27/12 12:30 PM, simon wrote: It took me a very long time to get into New Vegas, but once I sat down and played for hours it was a really fun game.

I'll second this game, although I still don't think that I really got all that into it. I was playing at a time when I just wanted to rush through it though, which never helps. I think I was still pretty wore out from all the hours I invested in Fallout 3.

Assassins Creed required me to try playing it several times before I finally decided to play it the whole way through. I don't know what it was about that game. I think there was a point where I felt like it was lacking direction and was never too sure where to go, but then on the last playthrough I attempted I didn't have that problem and played through the entire thing.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 11:50:22

At 9/29/12 11:08 PM, HiryuGouki wrote: Final Fantasy Tactics is easily a great example of this

The main problem I had with that game is that within the first couple of hours it immediately fires like five different villains, several different factions, several allies and several other important characters at you who are all connected somehow and you're supposed to remember it all.

The plot is good overall, but the start is really confusing and I think that's what makes it hard to get into.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 13:04:10

Dragon Age: Origins is this for me, first everything felt like a chore and I wasn't really having fun. But later I really got immersed into the story and I'm glad that I gave it a chance.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 18:30:12

Super Mario Sunshine takes a while to get into, since it has one of the longest openings to any game I have ever played. Plus, the story is unskippable, so if you want to start a new game, you can't skip the cutscenes. That to me is the most annoying part.

The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Response to Games that take a while to get into 2012-09-30 18:44:57

Torchlight, then I got into it, but not for that long.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature