00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VultusElectricFox just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wanna start composing, but how?

1,766 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 13:08:53

I'm a huge fan of classical music, and I would really like to produce some (In FL Studio). This is what I own atm.

FL Studio
A pair of Audio-Technica ath-m50
Nexus Plug-in with some orchestral presets etc.
And ofc, a pc.

I know nothing about classical music. And I'm not gonna lie now... But I don't even know what each node means, sub-genres etc. So, is there any books, guides, tutorials etc etc etc, that you can recommend. Ehm, i think that's it. Hope you can help me.

My english isn't that good, so pardon me, if I sound like an alphatard.

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 13:20:58

At 8/31/12 01:08 PM, Middlefield wrote: I'm a huge fan of classical music, and I would really like to produce some (In FL Studio). This is what I own atm.

FL Studio
And ofc, a pc.

I know nothing about classical music. And I'm not gonna lie now... But I don't even know what each node means, sub-genres etc. So, is there any books, guides, tutorials etc etc etc, that you can recommend. Ehm, i think that's it. Hope you can help me.

Going from the ground up? Check this out-
http://www.musictheory.net/

Beyond that, it's working the piano rolls & drums (if applicable).

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 13:23:05

At 8/31/12 01:08 PM, Middlefield wrote: I'm a huge fan of classical music, and I would really like to produce some (In FL Studio). This is what I own atm.

FL Studio
And ofc, a pc.

Alright, several things I'd recommend.

1. Look into learning the scales if you haven't already - at least major and minor scales.
2. Listen to classical music, not just for hearing how nice it sounds, but what makes it sound nice. Like, how are the strings used? How is a piano used? What kinds of harmonies do you like? How is the percussion used, most of all?
3. No, this doesn't nullify the second thing I said - that's still helpful for getting the 'feel' of what classical music sounds like. But, brass and strings are commonly used for chords, string bass instruments are useful for longer held bass notes, other basses are generally used for faster bass notes (though string basses work great too, particularly with staccato or pizzicato (plucked strings)). The bass overall ties the song together and 'grounds' it. Pianos and harps are great for arpeggios.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 15:14:22

Haha, I first remember when i got my first DAW and was on that shit 24/7 makin shitty ass songs and sharing them with everyone. If you need any legit help on how to work in FL or general methods of composing different genres of music (ie. classical), I could do a livestream with you sometime. Other than that, it would be too much for me to type even generally what I know.

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 15:27:00

Hey man, I was the exact same way (although I had a good ground with band music for several years before I started and plenty of classical appreciation as long as I have lived).

My biggest tips are-
1. Check out existing works... an AWESOME place to do this is IMSLP, a library of free classical music all the way back to Medieval and even Ancient tunes. You can download the scores and follow along as you listen once you master the basics of theory (AMAZINGLY helpful).
2. Get some resources together. I see Music Theory.net is already up there (awesome resource for beginners to intermediates), but also check out the Garritan Rimsky-Korsakov course on Orchestration and Composing once you have done a bit on mt.net (I also recommend doing a few of their exercises/quizzes).
3. Start with Emulation- find a composer you like, OR someone on Newgrounds (if you do the latter, you can ask them to send MIDI files of their work even) and really study their music- find a style they seem to have- dissect their music and find what things they like to do (e.g. rips on horn; pizzicato sections; timpani parts in transitions). Then, try to write a piece similar to that. Emulation is great because you are working towards a goal that is very clear and ready to visualize.
4. Find people knowledgeable in theory in your community or area or take some courses in school if possible- even getting some quick lessons and discussions with friends into composing is a great help!

May I ask if you can "think up a melody" on the spot? If you can, definitely keep up with working towards composing.

Consider starting with a free program- I started with LMMS, which is a good electronic program, although I used it for orchestral using Soundfonts (a form of virtual instrument you can find online for free in places). If you want to get extra practice, try writing pieces by hand for a while until you feel comfortable doing that before moving to a notation program.

It also helps to know the keys of the piano if you don't already.

If you ever need help or some crash-courses and can't find any or get enough info from mt.net, you are welcome to PM me or add me on skype (lord-samulis) and I'd be glad to help you as best I can.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-08-31 15:34:48

P.S. if you need some good books, check out Musical Composition for Dummies. It's an excellent reference and in simple terms, although aimed more towards any field of composition.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-09-02 11:24:56

Wow, thank you! I really appreciate your help. But ehm, should i also write down notes for the websites lessons? Also the book (if i buy it), and everything else that is related for "Composing Lessons"?

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-09-02 11:46:11

At 9/2/12 11:37 AM, Computer112 wrote:
At 9/2/12 11:24 AM, Middlefield wrote: Wow, thank you! I really appreciate your help. But ehm, should i also write down notes for the websites lessons? Also the book (if i buy it), and everything else that is related for "Composing Lessons"?
What genre are you approaching to?

In general then, yes, alsom everything is for common composition. That website is the easiest place to start the headache theory. The book, not really. It's for Classical, in common.

If you want electronic music. Either you can search on Amazon for book or go to Youtube for live tutors. Also, learning to make music in FL Studio is super easy.

OP did say he was a huge Classical fan...

Now I'm chipping in to add one more pointer. If you have any questions with FL Studio whatsoever, feel free to PM any of us, or Skype (if we have any). Also, there's a thread dedicated to questions on FL Studio usage -- and it's very, very regularly frequented (and answered)! : )

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-09-03 09:49:37

Okay final question... what about music theory? Is there any books and guides etc for that, that you will recommend?

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-09-03 10:50:17

At 9/3/12 09:49 AM, Middlefield wrote: Okay final question... what about music theory? Is there any books and guides etc for that, that you will recommend?

There's a thread on music theory that's being discussed right here. Sorohanro's linked to some useful guides.

Response to Wanna start composing, but how? 2012-09-03 14:41:59

At 8/31/12 03:14 PM, xenxies wrote: If you need any legit help on how to work in FL or general methods of composing different genres of music (ie. classical), I could do a livestream with you sometime. Other than that, it would be too much for me to type even generally what I know.

I'm definitely interested in that, please message me for skype or something.