00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best elder scrolls game

9,216 Views | 93 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-17 16:25:45

I've certainly had the most fun with Oblivion, but that's more to do with mods than anything. Skyrim is still going strong for me, once again thanks to mods, and I can see myself losing just as much, if not more time to it as I did Oblivion once a few awesome story mods in the vein of Ruined-Tail's Tale come out.

"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"

"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-17 17:04:23

At 8/17/12 04:22 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
ok, i get that you didnt like Skyrim, but may it as it be, its not a 1/10 thus it is still better than most games, even better than most highly overrated ones (assassins creed, zelda, ff7, the witcher, all the currently popular shooters, etc), now im not saying its the best game ever nor een the best of the TES, but its surely not a 1
thats in part the reason of why i dont rate 1s nor 10s.

"This lil' felluh ain't one with words, especially when expressing his opinion. If he hates it, he hates it. Always has to pick on the minor things. Ah well. Kid's entitled to an opinion after all, no matter how misinformed he maybe. We survivors have to stick together."

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-17 17:12:42

At 8/17/12 09:26 AM, Rallard wrote: The story is stupid ("omfg u scream liek dragons u must kill dragon")

To be fair any story sounds dreadful when you write it out like that.

Deus Ex is omfg u r augmented u must fight government
Red Dead Redemption is omfg u r former criminal u must kill criminals
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is omfg u r gangster u must fight other gangs
Fallout is omfg u r vault man u must fight mutants
The Metal Gear Solid games are omfg u r sneaky man u must sneak

And so on and so on.

It's your opinion man and I respect it, but I'm pretty sure no story of any film, book or game has ever been as simple as that.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-17 19:27:11

oblivion - skyrim - morrowind

if I played morrowind more I'm sure I would rank it higher than skyrim, but I was pretty young when I played it so I never got too deep into it. skyrim just doesn't have the feel that the other elder scrolls games had, and it's incredibly easy.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-17 19:50:27

At 8/12/12 03:55 PM, kakalxlax wrote: How would you rank the different ES games and why?

I first played Daggerfall, before Morrowind came out. Then I fell in love with Morrowind. But I liked Oblivion a lot more and couldn't even go back to Morrowind. Attacking is like rolling dice in that damn game. no thanks. But Skyrim is my favorite now. Morrowind still has the best scenery, though.

Bonus question: do you read ingame books?

nope

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-18 01:42:34

I've only played Morrowind Oblivion and Skyrim... and I played them in chronological order (as they were released)
I played the console versions of all of them, but I also played the pc version of Morrowind.

Graphics: Skyrim, Oblivion, then Morrowind

Weapon Type Variety (axe, bow, crossbow, sword, longsword, katana, etc.) : Morrowind, Oblivion, then Skyrim

Weapon Skin Variety (steel, iron, dwarven, daedric, ebony, etc.) : Skyrim, Morrowind, then Oblivion

Companions: Skyrim, Oblivion, then Morrowind.

Gameplay: Morrowind, Skyrim, then Oblivion

Combat: Skyrim, Oblivion, then Morrowind

Story: Skyrim, Oblivion, then Morrowind

Exploration: Morrowind, Skyrim, then Oblivion

Music: Morrowind, Skyrim, then Oblivion

Decorating your house: Oblivion had the nicest houses, and the best decoration....but nothing really to put in them, except a handful of things. Morrowind only had 3 houses, they were all really nice..... but you don't get them until the end of the game.... instead, most players just made their own home by killing NPCS, which was awesome. Item placement was poor.... some items like books just had to be stacked, and couldn't be put on a shelf in a traditional fashion. Skyrim.... lots of houses to buy..... but the item placing mechanic was terrible. Made decorating really really hard.

Freedom to do whatever you want: Morrowind only. When they took levitation and jump spells out of the game, a small part of me died. They also added non-killable npcs to oblivion and Skyrim... :(

Difficulty: (without moving difficulty slider) All the games start out okay, and after a while you become invincible.
Morrowind, though, was the toughest to get the ball rolling in... just because the combat system was balls.

Overall Fun/Favorite game: Morrowind, Skyrim, then Oblivion

I think the determining factor is the fact that everything in Morrowind was hand-placed.

Every cave was made by a person, not generated.... Oblivion lost a LOT of points here.... many caves/areas feel generated, and had random scaling loot rather than legendary artifacts.

The cool thing about Morrowind is that if you know where something is, and you are skilled enough to get it, then nothing (level cap, invisible walls, etc.) can stop you. You could run through an end-game scale dungeon with an invisibility potion and snag some epic loot before even hitting level 2!

There was one door (if i recall) that required a key to open in Morrowind.... everything else could be picked.

You can even beat the game legitimately (without glitches) in 7 minutes

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-18 06:01:39

At 8/18/12 01:42 AM, Raab wrote: Difficulty: (without moving difficulty slider) All the games start out okay, and after a while you become invincible.
Morrowind, though, was the toughest to get the ball rolling in... just because the combat system was balls.

I know Oblivion could get very difficult if you make poor choices when levelling up (level up inefficiently).

Every cave was made by a person, not generated.... Oblivion lost a LOT of points here.... many caves/areas feel generated, and had random scaling loot rather than legendary artifacts.

They did feel generated indeed. Nice and all that there are hundreds of places to explore, but when 90% of them look very similar...

I think random scaling loot is okay though.

The cool thing about Morrowind is that if you know where something is, and you are skilled enough to get it, then nothing (level cap, invisible walls, etc.) can stop you. You could run through an end-game scale dungeon with an invisibility potion and snag some epic loot before even hitting level 2!

But wouldn't that just kill all the challenge in the game? Again, I'm personally okay with the scaling loot idea. It keeps the game in balance and prevents you from being able to become too powerful early on in the game.

Also, you don't really get the case that there's simply one set of items that are the most powerful/useful (at that moment) and nothing else will be worth using anymore. I'm at the end-game stage in Oblivion and I still find myself switching items/weapons frequently because I find something better. I like that, personally.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 10:32:42

At 8/18/12 01:42 AM, Raab wrote: Story: Skyrim, Oblivion, then Morrowind

this single line pretty much throws your entire argument out the door. if you think beating up dragons then stealing their voice and shouting at more dragons constitutes a good storyline, that's pretty fuckin laughable.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 11:13:42

At 8/19/12 10:32 AM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
this single line pretty much throws your entire argument out the door. if you think beating up dragons then stealing their voice and shouting at more dragons constitutes a good storyline, that's pretty fuckin laughable.

Maybe you are right when you put it that way..... but Skyrim and Oblivion are just a tie..... one is really not much better than the other, and I just put them both before Morrowind, simply because the story in that game is non-existant... and I like it that way tbh. You truly feel like you are in charge of your own destiny... even while performing the main storyline quests..... or maybe that is just how I played the game. Many times, you could skip anything you wanted in the quest chain. Need the wraithguard from vivec? Why not just kill him and take it instead of running his bullshit errands and have Yagrum Bagarm fix it up for you?

Now.... You make fun of the skyrim storyline.... but
watching this video gives me a great feeling because it truly is an epic story:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E11Jm41zUtI

Oblivion, on the other hand had a much more epic feel during gameplay of going through portals and battling hell itself.... but the story was truly lacking. So much that I don't even really remember it except that (I think it was martin) turned into a giant dragon at the end. ....just go here close a gate..... go here close a gate.... repeat.

Skyrim's story..... though it may sound cheesy when on paper is a different story entirely when you are playing the game.

You are trying to stop an asshole fucking necro-dragon from ruining the world, and you even go so far as to chase the motherfucker into the sacred realm to stop it from tormenting the souls which it has devoured in heaven... and you've got super powers.... super powers that you steal from the dragons themselves after you best them in combat.

When you water it down.... its the same story as oblivion (towns are getting attacked, and people are in danger.... and they need you to stop it) except that instead of the threat being gone when you close the portal like in oblivion, the dragon you just killed might have a buddy along shortly... or next time you visit... or sometime in the future. and it gives the feel that you are truly saving the world and defending the people one (sometimes two) dragons at a time.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 12:13:24

At 8/19/12 11:13 AM, Raab wrote: wall'o'text

martin was known for being a fantastic character at the time oblivion was released. I remember seeing fanboys shit their pants over his "voice-acting" and stuff like that. I thought oblivion had a much stronger storyline than skyrim, and the ending was also an incredible amount more epic.

SPOILER ALERT

the ending of skyrim was so garbage. you go through the temples and kill a bunch of regular ass draugr that I've been seeing for the entire game, then you get into sovngarde and some random nords are telling me they've been stuck here for all eternity. the fight with alduin itself was actually far easier than most of the dragons I fought in skyrim too. I just sat back and shot arrows for fifteen seconds then the storyline was over.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 16:00:38

At 8/19/12 12:13 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: SPOILER ALERT

the ending of skyrim was so garbage. you go through the temples and kill a bunch of regular ass draugr that I've been seeing for the entire game, then you get into sovngarde and some random nords are telling me they've been stuck here for all eternity. the fight with alduin itself was actually far easier than most of the dragons I fought in skyrim too. I just sat back and shot arrows for fifteen seconds then the storyline was over.

I don't think Alduin was supposed to be a threat at that point...

You had the legendary heroes of Sovengarde helping you, plus dragonrend.

...but I do agree the boss did not pose any sort of threat whatsoever.

however.... Oblivion's ending lacked a boss fight (one that you participated in anyway) altogether..... just a weaksauce battle between Mehrunes Dagon and Martin Septim as the Avatar of Akatosh.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 16:27:17

If you're going to be that way, then Oblivion is just you running a bunch of fetch quests for Sean Bean to get some necklace back so he can look good for his date with the god of destruction.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-19 21:24:20

At 8/19/12 04:27 PM, POTaTOS wrote:
If you're going to be that way, then Oblivion is just you running a bunch of fetch quests for Sean Bean to get some necklace back so he can look good for his date with the god of destruction.

yeah, but dragons are for children's fantasy books. so overdone and boring. I enjoyed going through oblivion portals fighting dremora far more than some bitchy draugr yelling at me and some generic dragons

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 00:54:57

At 8/12/12 03:55 PM, kakalxlax wrote: How would you rank the different ES games and why?

Well, I haven't played Arena or Daggerfall, but out of the last three, i'd rank them in this order: Morrowind, Skyrim, Oblivion,

Bonus question: do you read ingame books?

Yes, any that are skillbooks or just with eye-catching titles. The in game literature can be quite good actually.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 13:17:35

My favorite by far is Oblivion. Skyrim kinda felt like it lacked something Oblivion had, I just can't put my finger on it right now.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 14:38:47

At 8/18/12 01:42 AM, Raab wrote:
I played the console versions of all of them, but I also played the pc version of Morrowind.

these kind of games "must" be played on pc, having a spell quickbar and aiming with a mouse makes all the difference

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 16:05:08

At 8/20/12 02:38 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
these kind of games "must" be played on pc, having a spell quickbar and aiming with a mouse makes all the difference

I agree but my friends would accuse me of cheating via console commands... And i do admit... Fast traveling in morrowind via console did come in handy when you would become over encumbered. Thats about all i used it for.... That and spawning 100 vivecs to fight at once

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 17:11:16

you act as if elder scrolls games are hard and require sensitive camera movement or something.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-20 17:46:20

At 8/20/12 05:11 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
you act as if elder scrolls games are hard and require sensitive camera movement or something.

pfff, thats not at all what i ment, what i said is, that being able to quickcast more spells means more strategies (at least without having to pause and shit what is annoying), more strategies = more customisation = more fun
and having a more sensitive look makes the game more enjoyable

Say no to rape.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-21 20:40:34

I've only played Morrowind and Skyrim and even though it's been ages since I last touched Morrowind I still prefer it over Skyrim.

----

Skyrim is just "Nothing happens: The game" for several reasons:
(I'm leaving out all the overused complains like the same 3 dungeons over and over etc.)

- You develop your character and get stronger, yet nothing changes since enemies level with you. The only thing that ever improves is the look of your cool new shiny armor and weapons.

- Dozens of boring +X% Y and similar perks that you forget about after you selected them. Take a look at Fallout: New Vegas: Notice how many of the perks change some aspect of your gameplay? Obsidian threw Bethesda's useless +X Skill perks outta there for a reason.

- This is Skyrim's plot (and I'm trying to make it sound as non-dumb as possible): An evil god-dragon is threatening the world.. while doing - nothing. Sometimes dragons show up.. sometimes not.. this certainly is AH I CAN'T DO THIS! Nothing happens! Not even the side / civil war quests change anything! You just make more imperials/rebels stand around in towns.

- NPCs don't touch me. (in other words nothing touches me as a human being) There are only a few interesting NPCs in the entire game but they aren't even important to the storyline.

-----

Bottom line, the whole game might as well just be a generic "test worldmap" for Beth's new engine that isn't new. It saddens me that so much creativity (for example all the books) went to waste in this game. The worst thing is that it is still popular so Bethesda might be tricked into thinking that people actually WANT games that just pretend to do something while nothing ever happens. They didn't even try.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2012-08-22 02:17:42

At 8/21/12 04:56 PM, JeffTheKiller wrote: cliffracer.jpg

HAHA whenever there's a poll, i always vote that as the most annoying enemy in a videogame

This thread needs more morrowind discussion tho, forreal...

I really loved that game, and its a little late to all of a sudden find a group of people talking about a game so old.

also... in regards to the Morrowind PC gaming convo...

Try doing this to your xbox version.

Best elder scrolls game

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 20:10:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

that guy raises a good point, but i dont know if Oblivion can be considered the worst of the series

Say no to rape.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 21:14:18

dumbing down blahblahblah. I can't even bring myself to play Morrowind anymore. I used to consider it to be one of my favorite games, but it has aged badly. Morrowind may have some things that they don't, but I still prefer Oblivion and Skyrim. At least in those games, combat isn't like rolling dice. " *miss *miss *miss".

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 21:16:02

At 6/30/13 08:10 PM, kakalxlax wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

that guy raises a good point, but i dont know if Oblivion can be considered the worst of the series

I completely agree with the "Elder Scrolls are getting dumbed-down" argument.

Having things like npcs that can't get killed, and quests that can't fail in a videogames... are like riding a bike with the training wheels still on.

Challenge + Accomplishment > training wheels and lack of difficulty.

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 21:16:30

They continually get better. There is no logic other than ignorance (also known as personal opinion) that could prove Morrowind is better than Skyrim or Oblivion, Skyrim is simply better in every single aspect because of the technological limits. And like that, Morrowind is better than Daggerfall and Redguard.

tl;dr : pointless discussion.

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.

/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 21:18:16

At 6/30/13 09:16 PM, Ecke wrote: They continually get better. There is no logic other than ignorance (also known as personal opinion) that could prove Morrowind is better than Skyrim or Oblivion

nostalgia goggles

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-06-30 21:37:13

At 6/30/13 09:16 PM, Ecke wrote: They continually get better. There is no logic other than ignorance (also known as personal opinion) that could prove Morrowind is better than Skyrim or Oblivion

lolwut? since when, ignorance = personal opinion?
also, you i think the video makes good points, both whan talking about improvements and "de-provements"

Skyrim is simply better in every single aspect because of the technological limits. And like that, Morrowind is better than Daggerfall and Redguard.

mmm, no. as said in the video, the improvements brought by technology are mostly physics and graphics (both things achievable thru mods), (im actually running morrowind on mods and looks pretty neat)

At 6/30/13 09:14 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: dumbing down blahblahblah. I can't even bring myself to play Morrowind anymore. I used to consider it to be one of my favorite games, but it has aged badly.

1 word: mods

Say no to rape.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-07-01 10:28:00

At 6/30/13 08:10 PM, kakalxlax wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

I agree that some things have been overly simplified since Morrowind, but on the other hand, Morrowind's dice-roll system is about as dumbed down as it can get if you ask me. If you don't succeed at something the first time, just reload and roll the dice again. There's no strategy involved. There's no need to think of a different approach.

So some things might have been simplified, but other things have definitely improved a lot since then.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-07-01 13:40:08

Oblivion is probably my favorite but I'm not fond of the series as a whole anymore.

Response to Best elder scrolls game 2013-07-01 15:04:08

At 7/1/13 10:28 AM, Auz wrote:

I agree that some things have been overly simplified since Morrowind, but on the other hand, Morrowind's dice-roll system is about as dumbed down as it can get if you ask me. If you don't succeed at something the first time, just reload and roll the dice again. There's no strategy involved. There's no need to think of a different approach.

well reloading is kind of cheating and you could say it "kills the spirit of the game", but that same thing could be done in skyrim, for example, with lockpicking, pickpocketing and whatnot.
there are some patches that make combat better
also morroblivion and skywind

Say no to rape.