00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best strings?

2,139 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Best strings? 2012-08-11 16:18:20

I was just wondering what the best free strings programs/samples are. I like to incorporate strings elements in my songs, but they are just not high-quality. Any tips and tricks would also be appreciated.

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-11 17:44:05

I am afraid you will end up with Soundfonts. Miroslav Philharmonik has a limited free version and you will end up with a whole orchestra band. Their strings are the best.

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-11 22:41:38

At 8/11/12 04:18 PM, lnitroburstl wrote: I was just wondering what the best free strings programs/samples are. I like to incorporate strings elements in my songs, but they are just not high-quality. Any tips and tricks would also be appreciated.

If you own the full version of Kontakt, check these out: Embertone Intimate Strings LITE. Pretty good for a freebie!

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-11 23:40:39

Well, if you are looking for a "ready to go" free program, I don't know of any; however, you can get some fairly convincing real sounding strings out of Superwave P8 and TranceDrive.
After I read this post, I decided to take it upon myself to make a preset that would sound like the Orchestral Harp MIDI Soundfont I have; it came out surprisngly very close.
So, here is something you might find useful: Superwave P8 Harp Preset
I just started tuning the synth sound until I could get it as close as I could to the original. I couldn't quite capture the "punch" that comes from an actual string being plucked, but once I added reverb, I would say that they are nearly the same sound - just the synthesized version sounds a bit softer.

please note that I am comparing a 44.1kHz sample to a 192kHz synthesized sound. There is a noticeable difference if I render at a lower sample rate.

So, my advice to you would be to get a program like P8 that gives you lots of waveform and filter control and learn how to use it by trying to recreate sounds. P8 isn't the best for sure, but it is free and it is one of my bread and butter synths I use.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 03:07:53

Check out DSK's stuff : http://www.dskmusic.com/category/romplers-real-instruments/

All the plug-ins are free! They're not the ABSOLUTE BEST around, but they are definitely good enough to be used in any track :)

lol fuk u

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 03:20:23

Not too far back, a fine gent posted some great soundfonts, including some string ones. If you dig deep enough, there are a couple of goodies in there.

Here's the link to his post!

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 03:47:43

At 8/12/12 03:20 AM, Birdinator99 wrote: Not too far back, a fine gent posted some great soundfonts, including some string ones. If you dig deep enough, there are a couple of goodies in there.

I can't find a program that plays these files on a 64 bit system...

Any ideas?

lol fuk u

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 04:24:29

At 8/12/12 03:47 AM, HyperTrough wrote:
At 8/12/12 03:20 AM, Birdinator99 wrote: Not too far back, a fine gent posted some great soundfonts, including some string ones. If you dig deep enough, there are a couple of goodies in there.

I can't find a program that plays these files on a 64 bit system...

Any ideas?

Have you tried the different "modes" on sfz? I don't know what they do, nor do I need to use them, but they might help you...

If not, maybe sfz+? Sorry, these are total shots in the dark (I'm on 32-bit Windows XP).

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 06:27:11

Eridon is a good one, if you can find it!

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-12 15:53:22

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1200140

Go check to see if you can still score these downloads.

Think of the Universe as a hotdog bun.

BBS Signature

Response to Best strings? 2012-08-13 13:37:40

there's good free orchestral soundfonts here, http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1262167