00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ClayBound just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Undead survival strategy

1,867 Views | 29 Replies

Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 11:31:42

You need to come up with a plan based on the picture below.

You need to make a plan, but first, the rules:

You must pick 4 other survivors because surviving alone is extremely hard.
You only get one large gun per person
You need to go somewhere else you can't stay at the start position

Explain where you go, why, and what you do when you get there.

Undead survival strategy

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 11:51:09

Explain 4 other survivors.You mean NGers?

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 13:42:54

At 7/14/12 11:31 AM, Suprememessage wrote: You need to come up with a plan based on the picture below.

What kind of undead are we talking here? Some are slow due to decaying muscles, some are blind and rely on sound, etc. I'm just going to assume Dawn of the Dead zombies for simplicity.

I don't know many people on NG, so I'd just take the first four who looked capable and willing to help. Preferably one of each of the following:
- A. Someone with relevant combat experience (a soldier or martial artist)
- B. Someone with anatomical and medical knowledge (a nurse or doctor)
- C. Someone with mechanical skill (not just for cars or guns, wider variety is better)
- D. Someone with botanical knowledge (food supply will eventually run out... Foraging and gardening will prove useful)
Of course combat experience is useful for everyone, but I'd want at least one person who is a trained professional. Order listed is order of importance. I should note that I excel at none of the above mentioned fields but am instead average in all of them. I will be "Z".
Note: if possible I would choose all males to come with me. Not as a matter of sexism but because the psychology of having a female in the group brings out the competitive nature among men and is more likely to cause problems among other survivors. I would however not turn any survivor away.

General weapons: I'd want everyone to have at least one decent sized knife and a handgun.
Notable weapons:
A. - Standard close quarters combat gear that he is used to. If a soldier, preferably some kind of high capacity automatic weapon. (
B. - A silenced, scoped handgun for strategically removing threats and clearing a path of escape without attracting other undead.
C. - Shotgun. Mainly for defensive purposes.
D. - Shotgun. Mainly for defensive purposes.
Z. - Some kind of heavy blunt melee weapon. Preferably a staff or a hammer of some sort. Something I can use more reliably than a knife to keep close range threats away from everyone else. I am also terrible with guns.

Plan:
It looks like the zombies are spread out initially but that they would notice us and converge on our location, so expediency is key. I would immediately have my team exit through the rear (creating an exit if necessary) and make a run for the forest. Start out trying to conceal ourselves with silenced and melee weapons, but resorting to full force if necessary. If we make it to the forest safely, stop and tend to any wounds, make sure no one is bitten. The infected are shot or left behind with no exceptions.

Proceed north to the hospital. Gather survivors and assess the situation. The ultimate goal is to reach the mall because it is the most likely place to find survival supplies in the vicinity and reasonably easy to secure.
If necessary find reserve gas tanks in the basement or siphon the gas out of a vehicle in the vicinity and use it as a bomb to clear a path behind the hospital. Otherwise strategically execute threats and proceed as normal. Preferred route is north, as far away from the road as possible.

Once at the mall, if we are the first to arrive there, barricade all entrances, check for infection, and make an extremely thorough round of the perimeter to search for survivors and remove all threats. Once that's done, reinforce the barricades further. Try to find radios of some sort and establish a patrol system - three rest while two patrol the perimeter. Each patrol should have a radio and a third radio should stay with the resting group. After everyone's had a chance to recuperate, have one stay on the roof to keep a lookout for survivors and search the mall for usable supplies. Bring all items possible to one location on the upper floor if there is one and make note of all food locations (i.e. things that must stay refrigerated).

Finally, create a huge S.O.S. on the top of the building in case a rescue group is sent out.
After that it's just a matter of upkeep to make sure nothing gets in and trying to find a way to build a rooftop garden out of what we have in the mall. Perhaps try to find an extending ladder in the maintenance area to rescue incoming survivors.

(>'-')>

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 18:58:05

At 7/14/12 11:51 AM, tonypar16 wrote: Explain 4 other survivors.You mean NGers?

4 other survivers, they could be NGers but it doesn't matter. It could be anyone you know.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 19:15:01

At 7/14/12 01:42 PM, Zhonn wrote:
At 7/14/12 11:31 AM, Suprememessage wrote: You need to come up with a plan based on the picture below.

What kind of undead are we talking here? Some are slow due to decaying muscles, some are blind and rely on sound, etc. I'm just going to assume Dawn of the Dead zombies for simplicity.

I don't know many people on NG, so I'd just take the first four who looked capable and willing to help. Preferably one of each of the following:
- A. Someone with relevant combat experience (a soldier or martial artist)
- B. Someone with anatomical and medical knowledge (a nurse or doctor)
- C. Someone with mechanical skill (not just for cars or guns, wider variety is better)
- D. Someone with botanical knowledge (food supply will eventually run out... Foraging and gardening will prove useful)
Of course combat experience is useful for everyone, but I'd want at least one person who is a trained professional. Order listed is order of importance. I should note that I excel at none of the above mentioned fields but am instead average in all of them. I will be "Z".
Note: if possible I would choose all males to come with me. Not as a matter of sexism but because the psychology of having a female in the group brings out the competitive nature among men and is more likely to cause problems among other survivors. I would however not turn any survivor away.

General weapons: I'd want everyone to have at least one decent sized knife and a handgun.
Notable weapons:
A. - Standard close quarters combat gear that he is used to. If a soldier, preferably some kind of high capacity automatic weapon. (
B. - A silenced, scoped handgun for strategically removing threats and clearing a path of escape without attracting other undead.
C. - Shotgun. Mainly for defensive purposes.
D. - Shotgun. Mainly for defensive purposes.
Z. - Some kind of heavy blunt melee weapon. Preferably a staff or a hammer of some sort. Something I can use more reliably than a knife to keep close range threats away from everyone else. I am also terrible with guns.

Plan:
It looks like the zombies are spread out initially but that they would notice us and converge on our location, so expediency is key. I would immediately have my team exit through the rear (creating an exit if necessary) and make a run for the forest. Start out trying to conceal ourselves with silenced and melee weapons, but resorting to full force if necessary. If we make it to the forest safely, stop and tend to any wounds, make sure no one is bitten. The infected are shot or left behind with no exceptions.

Proceed north to the hospital. Gather survivors and assess the situation. The ultimate goal is to reach the mall because it is the most likely place to find survival supplies in the vicinity and reasonably easy to secure.
If necessary find reserve gas tanks in the basement or siphon the gas out of a vehicle in the vicinity and use it as a bomb to clear a path behind the hospital. Otherwise strategically execute threats and proceed as normal. Preferred route is north, as far away from the road as possible.

Once at the mall, if we are the first to arrive there, barricade all entrances, check for infection, and make an extremely thorough round of the perimeter to search for survivors and remove all threats. Once that's done, reinforce the barricades further. Try to find radios of some sort and establish a patrol system - three rest while two patrol the perimeter. Each patrol should have a radio and a third radio should stay with the resting group. After everyone's had a chance to recuperate, have one stay on the roof to keep a lookout for survivors and search the mall for usable supplies. Bring all items possible to one location on the upper floor if there is one and make note of all food locations (i.e. things that must stay refrigerated).

Finally, create a huge S.O.S. on the top of the building in case a rescue group is sent out.
After that it's just a matter of upkeep to make sure nothing gets in and trying to find a way to build a rooftop garden out of what we have in the mall. Perhaps try to find an extending ladder in the maintenance area to rescue incoming survivors.

Outcome:

You succesfully make it out of the house and to the woods without alerting the undead.Halfway there you run into a group of undead. You kill them easily. but it costs you a slight amount of ammo. Once into the woods, you notice there appear to be no undead, and you find a chainsaw. Your soldier keeps it with him. Then you head towards the hospital, inside you find three survivors. After attempting to leave, some undead notice your group, this causes you to have a firefight. You lose the mechanic as he is standing over a trap door which a member of the undead breaks from below and grabs him. He is pulled down. You cannot fire upon the undead below or your lost survivor since it's too dark to see. You take medical supplies and flee to the sky scraped nearby. Once inside you wait out a day.

You head towards the mall from behind the buildings on the road. You find little undead presence, presumably since they have no food here. You make it to the mall and get into a fight with a large amount of undead. You lost another person, the soldier. After completely clearing the area out you find it has a good amount of supplies and you easily build a barricade that could hold standard undead. After a few days of nothing happening, you hear something on the radio, you pick it up, you hear "Hello, can anyone hear us, this is rescue helicopter five two five delta, respond if you are a survivor". You are on patrol when this happens.

You attempt to contact the resting survivors, but only a low pitches gurgle comes from them, it appears your three are the only survivors left. The undead must've broke in as you see more are on their way towards you. As not to waste ammo you run towards the stairs to head to the roof. When you get to the roof, you get on the radio and contact the helicopter. You tell them you are on the roof of the mall, you immediately see them heading in. The helicopter lands and you all get on board and take off. You and two others have survived.

FINAL GRADE: B

Good ideas:

You had a well thought out plan and it was almost flawless (almost).

Mistakes:
You decided to use weapons that would be useless to those without combat experience, this made your team extremely weak once you lost your soldier. This is because handguns take practice to use, burst weapons might be a better choice.

You had decided to stop at a hospital, you said you would take any survivors. This is a mistake because your large team ended up attracting a lot of attention. This made you lose more people than you saved. However, you did succeed.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 19:26:37

To hard.

Undead survival strategy

| Steam | NoN bbs | formerly steelchair

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 19:27:48

At 7/14/12 07:26 PM, SteelChair wrote: To hard.

Outcome: A head crab jumps on you before you get a chance to enter the god cheat and you die.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 20:00:31

Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Undead survival strategy

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 20:29:45

I re-enact thriller with all the undead. Once my dance has distracted them I silently sneak out.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 21:16:25

At 7/14/12 11:53 AM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote: I'd carry a shotgun and a small handgun, then get a survival kit together.
I'd make a run for the woods and ditch the others, or shoot them in the leg at point blank range to distract the zombies.

Outcome: You hurt the other survivors who are quickly killed off, you the notice you forgot the supplies, but at this point you are in the middle of nowhere. Suddenly a group of undead surround you, with only your one gun, you are quickly over powered and killed.

Final Grade: F (No survivors)

Positives:
N/A

Negatives:

Everything

_____________________________________--
Skaren

Run as quickly and quietly as possible away from the barricade, possibly with a silenced pistol/SMG, and make it to a car, drive to a harbor by siphoning gas from other cars. Recruit other survivors along the way. Gather soil and crop seeds. Once at the harbor, take a large cruise ship and (hopefully you have enough people to pilot it) plant the crops on it, while on the ocean, the zombies can't get you, and the crops should sustain you.
Note that one of the crops you plant should be fruit, so that you can drink the juice from the fruit.

Outcome: You succesfully sneak by, since you have a small group, you remain undetected. Your silenced pistol and SMG make taking out anything in your path simple. You get the car and drive to the harbor with farming supplies. You engage in no combat and easily take a cruise ship out into the ocean. You have a succesful farm since the undead cannot reach you.

Final Grade: A (No casualities or possibilities of casualties)

Positives:

Entire strategy was perfect

Negatives:

N/A

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 21:20:08

Why are the buildings facing up? What is that, a lake? Why is the hospital so much bigger than the single standing mountain?
why are all the trees cut to look like skeletons?

RIGHT-TILTING PENTAGON GANG

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 22:02:08

At 7/14/12 09:27 PM, GuerrilleroHeroico wrote:
At 7/14/12 09:16 PM, Suprememessage wrote: Final Grade: F (No survivors)
D:

Skaren
Entire strategy was perfect
Crops take years to grow man, and you need acres to sustain a single person year round.

Bias man, bias.

No Bias, he actually had the brains to take supplies before he left. You were all alone and would be easily over powered.

In other words, guerrila...

Undead survival strategy

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-14 22:10:42

At 7/14/12 09:45 PM, Xenomit wrote: Me, tox, solid toad (we need a slut to relieve sexual tension), suprememessage, and Confucianism

I have my Remington 300 ultramag and a katana as a side weapon, Tox has an FN Fusil Automatique Leger and a riot sheild, solid toad has a Desert eagle and a Bowie knife, suprememessage has a B.A.R. and a few Rifle grenades without a launcher, and Confucianism has a SMAW launcher and a simple cross-bow

We toss out a lot of raw and useless meat in the opposite direction were going, then set off one one of the rifle grenades off near the pile of meat, then take off running towards the hospital, staying low and making as little sound as possible, taking out any zombies we have to with the cross-bow, still attempting to draw little or no attention to us

Once we get to the hospital, there is sure to be a good amount of zombies in and around it, so we take them out, I pop off the slower ones with my ultra mag, the others take out any of the others

After we're in the clear, surely any zombies in a 2 mile radius would have heard it, and are on their way, so we rush inside and grab as many medical supplies as we can, throwing them into any pushable containers and making a quick dash for the mall, pushing shelves and using anything possible to barricade the entrances, then set up a nice living space, gather all the food we could need for months and other weapons and useful stuff into a compact space out in the open, possibly the food court, then lightly seal up all the stairs and passageways in case they happen to break through in the middle of the night while we're asleep

Even if you dislike me, take the 3 minutes to read that, not to brag, but that's a pretty solid plan

Again, your confusing me with sensationalism, i don't dislike you.

Outcome:
You succesfully leave the barricade, the explosion and the meat attract the undead to the barricade, making it very easy for you to manuever without any combat. On your way to the hospital you find a TMP with a supressor which you carry as a spare weapon. After you reach the hospial you find that in the basement one of the doctors had been working on the cure for the virus. Since you have heavy weaponry, you are able to take his research papers without the extra weight being a burden.

When you make it to the mall your heavy weapons clear it out easily. You barricade the area. Since no rescues appear to be in progress, you look through the papers found in the hopsital. After researching them for several days, you findt he cure for the undead. After making a weapon capable of using this cure out of an old spray can, you start to produce it. It kills the undead with ease. After a few days a helicopter radios in, it appears a rescue is in progress, the group makes it to the roof and are evacuated, not only that, the info learned about the cure is used to help end the undead.

Final grade: A (No casualties and no possibility of further casualities)

Positives;: All members had heavy weapons, while these make a lot of noise, it is easy to dispatch many undead with just a single person when you have a large weapon. Additionally you created a distraction. This led your future encounters to be minimum as you generally lured a lot of undead away from the areas you were at.

You used your supplies wisely and chose the food court, a defendable position with a lot of supplies. Additionally you made a good living space. This helps because it reduces stress and people under less stress do better in combat situations.

Everyone survived because you strategy involved quick action and a lot of teamwork. Your use of manpower was wise.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 15:51:57

dual pistols...thats all I need!!!

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 15:58:22

At 7/15/12 03:51 PM, Pa4oo wrote: dual pistols...thats all I need!!!

Outcome:

You decide to hold your ground alone, the rest of your team goes off but you stay at the barricade with your dual pistols. Since you're still at the barricade where the undead were heading a horde swarms in and your lack of other people helping leads to your demise.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 16:00:44

I kill the zombies.

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 16:50:01

At 7/15/12 04:00 PM, Wallstain wrote: I kill the zombies.

Outcome:

You and your team decides to fight back, you go around the city killing the undead, you have no casualities. But then, you run out of ammo, your lack of any actual strategy makes you easy targets, your team abandons you and they get killed. A member of the undead comes behind you and bites into your back. You turn into part of the undead legion.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 16:53:13

Undead eh?
Well depending on the specific undead menace we are talking about here we could be fucked right from the get go.

Also What in the name of all that is fucked is that stupid big oval thing to the right of the page?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 16:59:51

At 7/15/12 04:53 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Undead eh?
Well depending on the specific undead menace we are talking about here we could be fucked right from the get go.

Also What in the name of all that is fucked is that stupid big oval thing to the right of the page?

It's a poorly drawn lake.

And the undead type is the simple kind seen in Dawn of the Dead.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 17:23:40

At 7/15/12 04:59 PM, Suprememessage wrote:
At 7/15/12 04:53 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Undead eh?

It's a poorly drawn lake.

Then i shall go to the poorly drawn lake and abuse the fact it was poorly made to glitch through the game and with clever use of fucking with the game reach the end, or at least glitch all the undead out of existence.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 18:05:33

At 7/15/12 05:23 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:

Then i shall go to the poorly drawn lake and abuse the fact it was poorly made to glitch through the game and with clever use of fucking with the game reach the end, or at least glitch all the undead out of existence.

Outcome:

You succeed and glitch yourself out of reality. It wasn't supposed to be a game.

Final Grade: Z (WTF)

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 19:16:46

At 7/14/12 07:26 PM, SteelChair wrote: To hard.

buddha mode on, as well.
don't forget cl_notarget 1 or, since it's half-life 2 as I see in your box, notarget 1, npc ai to docile...

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 19:29:34

Me and the survivors will run to the big yellow and blue UFO spaceship to the right and fly to mars where we will colonize it and remake the human race.

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 19:49:04

No survival plan is flawless, even in the zombie apocolypse. There will be confrontation, no matter how hard you try to sneak around and loot to survive, There are always going to be psychopaths and bandits who will attempt to loot you at every turn and angle. There is only safer, not safe.

Even if you did get away, the challenges you'll encounter later could kill you. Therefore everyone's plans on "getting away safely" is deeply flawed.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 19:57:53

At 7/15/12 07:29 PM, GHOST-KILLA wrote: Me and the survivors will run to the big yellow and blue UFO spaceship to the right and fly to mars where we will colonize it and remake the human race.

Outcome:

You attempt to fly the lake, you all drown and die.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 20:02:56

At 7/15/12 06:05 PM, Suprememessage wrote: You succeed and glitch yourself out of reality. It wasn't supposed to be a game.
Final Grade: Z (WTF)

Pinkie Pie style.

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 20:08:43

At 7/15/12 07:57 PM, Suprememessage wrote:
At 7/15/12 07:29 PM, GHOST-KILLA wrote: Me and the survivors will run to the big yellow and blue UFO spaceship to the right and fly to mars where we will colonize it and remake the human race.
Outcome:

You attempt to fly the lake, you all drown and die.

It was a lake? I misunderstood :(

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 20:30:04

How fast/slow are the zombies? Are they 28 Days Later fast, or Night of the living Dead slow?

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 20:52:12

At 7/15/12 08:30 PM, DarkShadowblade wrote:

How fast/slow are the zombies? Are they 28 Days Later fast, or Night of the living Dead slow?

Night of the living dead slow, but they are good at hiding and tough to kill. (these are the type that are pretty much invulnerable except for head shots or dismemberment)

BBS Signature

Response to Undead survival strategy 2012-07-15 22:21:31

At 7/15/12 09:03 PM, Protagonist wrote:
We if me and you Borderlands it and grind on the zombies in the starting area until we're level 30?

Hmmm yes... We could always exp grind while picking up new weapons off the newly dead too.

BBS Signature