00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dingleberry96 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How to make dubstep?

9,782 Views | 61 Replies

How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 07:52:56

hey there i am new at newgrounds and i want to make some dubstep bute there`s a problem i don`t know whick programs/VSTs i need :/
ok i have:
Magix Music Maker MX Premium; FL Studio 8 XXL Producer Edition
I look forward to help please PM me when you posted something here so that i directly notice it :)

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 08:08:25

Hey, first off:

1.) Don't use MAGIX if you want to upload to Newgrounds. MAGIX puts everything you make with it under its own licence which clashes with the licence Newgrounds uses, making it go against the rules.

2.) FL 8 is pretty old now. Why don't you get FL 10. Image-Line provides lifetime free updates so you don't need to buy any later updates.

That being said, if you want to make dubstep, the first thing you'll need is software/samples to make dubstep. These will generally come in the form of what are called synthesiser VSTs. A very popular VST to make dubstep with is Massive; you should check it out. It's not free though.

Once you've got the samples, then there's an array of tutorials on YouTube to get you started. Just search 'how to make dubstep fl studio' on YouTube and I can guarantee you you'll find dozens of videos to help you out.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 09:22:02

If you're not willing to dish out money, or simply prefer a free alternative, I'd recommend looking into getting TranceDrive, one of the more powerful free VSTi's out there. Also, you should get TAL-BitCrusher if you don't already have a VST that can do something like the name says.

TranceDrive does have a bunch of effects built-in to it, but the distortion effect isn't the best.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 09:24:01

oh THANKS i even didn`t know about that MAGIX licensing stuff lol thx a lot i will search for these tutorials :))

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 12:36:13

sry i forgot somethin... if you post the name of a product pls post the source of it too

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 12:38:45

TAL-Bitcrusher + 3xOsc + cutoff LFO = epic free wobbles ;)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 12:42:08

Lastly, please don't make dubstep.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 12:44:56

At 7/9/12 12:42 PM, Sequenced wrote: Lastly, please don't make dubstep.

Says the one that uploaded a dubstep song 6 says ago.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 13:03:09

At 7/9/12 12:44 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 7/9/12 12:42 PM, Sequenced wrote: Lastly, please don't make dubstep.
Says the one that uploaded a dubstep song 6 says ago.

that's true, but I experiment with that genre than making the regular mainstream crap :P

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 14:05:00

LFO. More LFO. Distortion. Everyone seems to use Ohmicide if it helps.

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 14:15:21

First, you need a melody. It doesn't need to be particularly good or memorable (I absolutely do not remember any of Skrillex's themes), not that it really matters as it will mostly be listened to by drunk and/or stoned college students at a rave.

Next, drums. Anything fast and hard will work. During the drop, you'll almost certainly want to use a half-time drum beat: I think probably 99.5% of commercial dubstep does. I you don't know what a half-time beat is, go look it up.

And finally, the part you've been waiting for: the drop. Now, I like to use NI Massive, but there are free VSTs that can do similar things. Get creative. If you have the means and the knowledge, you could do time-stretching and pitch-shifting: fart into a microphone and pitch shift it, or record a blender and tempo map it. Sing a note, put it in a sampler engine, add an oscillator and some cool effects.

If "Scary Sprites and Nice Bodies," or "Scary Pixels and Nice Sprites"...or whatever it's called (I'm really not a dubstep fan)... Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Skrillex frequently shows us that you can have minimal musical talent, but with some creativity (all those weird sounds in the drops that really can't be written as traditional sheet music) you can make music that some percentage of the population would consider to be very good.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 14:37:29

ok rage time

At 7/9/12 02:15 PM, RampantMusik wrote: not that it really matters as it will mostly be listened to by drunk and/or stoned college students at a rave.

stupid stupid statement, compeletely false. Itll be more listened to by 14 year olds on youtube on a laptop.

Next, drums. Anything fast and hard will work.

shuffling, syncopated, loud, sidechained, and short kicks to leave bass room. fast and hard dont really mean anything at all.

And finally, the part you've been waiting for: the drop.

stupid, confusing terminology. Anyone who makes music should never use the word "drop"

Now, I like to use NI Massive, but there are free VSTs that can do similar things. Get creative. If you have the means and the knowledge, you could do time-stretching and pitch-shifting: fart into a microphone and pitch shift it, or record a blender and tempo map it. Sing a note, put it in a sampler engine, add an oscillator and some cool effects.

Massive's formant is rather unique, some synths can do similair things but none are like it. resampling a voice and a fart are both going to sound like utter shit no matter what effects you put on them.

If "Scary Sprites and Nice Bodies," or "Scary Pixels and Nice Sprites"...or whatever it's called (I'm really not a dubstep fan)

its a song thats gonna be in music history books, learn its name instead of taking the time to write out nonsense twice. If you're not a dubstep fan why are you telling people how to make it.

... Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Skrillex frequently shows us that you can have minimal musical talent, but with some creativity (all those weird sounds in the drops that really can't be written as traditional sheet music) you can make music that some percentage of the population would consider to be very good.

Skrillex has minimal music talent? There are only a handful of people in the whole world with his production value. All his "drops" are notes(have pitch and a set time length), therefore can be written. Last but not least, making music to appease others is what makes music shit, dont do it.

please dont post things like this.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 14:43:29

At 7/9/12 02:37 PM, jpbear wrote:
Massive's formant

i meant format, stupid typo.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 14:45:10

Agreeing with JP. You're wasting everyone's time, especially that of the person who is trying to get started on making music.

Here be dragons... No... Just kidding. That's a wall, I do believe.

//ROMULUS\\

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 16:00:12

hey they try to help me, thats ´whats counting -_-"

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 17:21:15

At 7/9/12 04:00 PM, Shrazzorr wrote: hey they try to help me, thats Ã'´whats counting -_-"

most of us know how to make music through trial and error. just find a DAW that will work for you and stick with it.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 17:49:02

I'm really puzzled that nobody posted a link to this tutorial:
http://youtu.be/QSFSqhY2RZs

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 20:20:19

At 7/9/12 02:37 PM, jpbear wrote: Skrillex has minimal music talent? There are only a handful of people in the whole world with his production value. All his "drops" are notes(have pitch and a set time length), therefore can be written.

In this post: dubstep fan rages when someone pokes fun of dubstep by super-simplifying it.

...only a handful of people in the whole world with [Skrillex's] production value

Exactly. His production value. Production is a part of the process, like mixing and mastering, but it is not part of the writing process. I have yet to hear a piece of music by Skrillex that actually has a good, memorable theme: probably due to the fact that he can't write one.

His 'drops' are notes that can be written? I'm talking about actual, written sheet music. As a reminder for you, I've posted below "actual, written sheet music." I'd love to see you try and write out one of Skrillex's "non-epileptic bass seizures" (hey, you said I can't call them "drops") in this form.

How to make dubstep?

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-09 23:35:56

I tried FL Studio and found it really confusing. You are talking about this one right?
http://www.image-line.com/documents/flstudio.html
It is also like $200 bucks which is a bit too much for me.

Not sure if you heard of DUBturbo but I have been using and it is pretty good. It is good for beginners because it has video tutorial, free beats and virtual musical instruments and such.
http://bestdubstepsongs.net/dubstep-software-best-dubstep-pr ogram/

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 03:16:01

At 7/9/12 08:20 PM, RampantMusik wrote: His 'drops' are notes that can be written? I'm talking about actual, written sheet music. As a reminder for you, I've posted below "actual, written sheet music." I'd love to see you try and write out one of Skrillex's "non-epileptic bass seizures" (hey, you said I can't call them "drops") in this form.

put your e-penis away

p.s. i am gay

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 03:29:59

FL studio is one of the most easiest programs out there. It's a short learning curve, but it takes a long time to master it.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 05:20:26

At 7/9/12 07:52 AM, Shrazzorr wrote: hey there i am new at newgrounds and i want to make some dubstep bute there`s a problem i don`t know whick programs/VSTs i need :/
ok i have:
I look forward to help please PM me when you posted something here so that i directly notice it :)

FL Studio is probably one of the easier-to-learn, user-friendly programs to get started with so I'd say you should use it. People might tell you that you can better results out of programs like Reason or Cubase but in the end, you can get professional results out of any of these programs. Like Step said too, you should get FL 10 if you plan on using FL. They've added a lot of stuff since version 8 (can't think of it off my head though).

As for VST instruments. You should probably start out with Massive as it's what everyone uses so there's no shortage of tutorials and I like to think it's interface is fairly simple. Once you get the grip of Massive though, don't stick to it alone. Programs like Sylenth1, Vanguard, Z3ta+ 2 and FM8 are awesome aswell (albeit z3ta+ 2 and FM8 are a little harder to get the hang of in my opinion anyway..)

Samples are a must too. Vengeance have popular sample packs and they're definitely useful but a lot of people give them shit because of their popularity so you should keep the usage to a minimal if you get them (I don't think you're allowed to use them in your songs on Newgrounds either). Personally, I think companies like Wave Alchemy and Zenhiser have just as good sample packs as Vengeance. They don't come with the reputation either so check them out. Other than that, check out http://loopmasters.com and have a look through all the packs they offer. There's some great stuff there.

Finally, tutorials are a good way to start learning about producing. If you do end up using FL then the demo songs will give a bit of insight into how it works aswell. Learning to make your own sounds in VST's is something you'll eventually need to do aswell and I found that mucking with the programs presets and seeing how the different knobs and sliders affect the sound helps a lot too. As well as all this, practice and experimentation will go a long way and eventually help in giving you your own style so just keep persevering with it and eventually, you'll start making some awesome tracks because anyone with even a little creativity and a love for music can do this stuff. Atleast I think so anyway.

Hope this helps.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 10:33:00

At 7/9/12 07:52 AM, Shrazzorr wrote: hey there i am new at newgrounds and i want to make some dubstep bute there`s a problem i don`t know whick programs/VSTs i need :/
ok i have:

Massive is a nice one, and iv actually used the 3xosc for dubstep (with lots of effects) if you dont wanna spend money.

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 10:44:50

At 7/9/12 08:20 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Exactly. His production value. Production is a part of the process, like mixing and mastering, but it is not part of the writing process.

This I agree with. That is, I make the distinction. I know of and have had the pleasure of discussing with composers of previous generations who grew up without computers & the internet, and as such have absolutely 0% production value, but they are incredible musicians and write truly deep and harmonically complex music played by orchestras or other ensembles globally. Unless of course we count notation and orchestration skills as production value :)

It may not help conceptually to divorce production from musicality when creating a work that is meant to be a piece of audio and intrinsically combines both, with an art in each, but practically it helps not to rely on one or the other to deliver a musical message if your goal is a piece of audio. IMO it's worse to rely on production, but that doesn't seem to be the general public's opinion on things. :S

Truthfully, you have to know what you're getting into with any kind of electronic music, where in 90% of cases and sub-genres, production value IS king over musicality, and there's nothing wrong with that, so long as it doesn't claim to contain the world's greatest musicians. This is a genre that revels in the pleasures of its sound, the satisfying punch of well-engineered drums, or the massive spacey atmosphere of a pad, or the ability to shake the bones of a thousand ravers with heavy sub-bass you feel miles away. However...

His 'drops' are notes that can be written? I'm talking about actual, written sheet music. As a reminder for you, I've posted below "actual, written sheet music." I'd love to see you try and write out one of Skrillex's "non-epileptic bass seizures" (hey, you said I can't call them "drops") in this form.

Please, if you take the position of musical authority, don't act as if there have never before been absurd challenges for notating music, or say that it's impossible to develop new systems of such for new music! Case in point, the following scan of a Stockhausen score. Of course, there are more possible examples beyond this too.

How to make dubstep?

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 11:31:27

ok i have:

You have basicly what you need. it would help to have massive and some other synth plug ins but you do have the basic tools.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-10 11:33:26

well its pretty simple, lay drums then use pads and shit for ambience then make an intense bass modulation like a beast perhaps with brief bridges..

At 2/11/08 11:38 PM, NimbleElephant wrote:

: What an interesting point you have, and very debatable and exciting.

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-11 01:54:05

At 7/9/12 02:37 PM, jpbear wrote: Anyone who makes music should never use the word "drop"

And why not sir? It's a legitimate part of the song's structure.

#1286129 // soundcloud.com/1shibumi

BBS Signature

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-11 02:54:10

At 7/10/12 10:44 AM, NickPerrin wrote: Please, if you take the position of musical authority, don't act as if there have never before been absurd challenges for notating music, or say that it's impossible to develop new systems of such for new music! Case in point, the following scan of a Stockhausen score. Of course, there are more possible examples beyond this too.

You're right, and I shouldn't make such sweeping accusations or simplifications of forms of music just because they aren't my favorite genre.

BRB I'm gonna write some house and/or dubstep.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-11 12:49:27

At 7/11/12 01:54 AM, boney-man wrote:
At 7/9/12 02:37 PM, jpbear wrote: Anyone who makes music should never use the word "drop"
And why not sir? It's a legitimate part of the song's structure.

the only time the word drop is used correctly, is when its used to imply an 808 drop or something similair, a bass sweep that lasts about 3 seconds tops.

if you're talking about basslines use the word bassline.

most people use the word drop to refer to a breakdown or climax or something along those lines, which is flat out incorrect.

Response to How to make dubstep? 2012-07-11 21:07:20

if you're talking about basslines use the word bassline.

most people use the word drop to refer to a breakdown or climax or something along those lines, which is flat out incorrect.

you win....thats it man! you win!

BBS Signature