00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yamusy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

PMMurphy's Art

8,131 Views | 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

PMMurphy's Art 2012-05-27 10:45:59

I explored the various artists on this site, and instead of having you guys look for meaning in my pieces (im sure some of you will capture it) im going to describe each piece i showcase. As i noticed this is a younger audience i want people to fully appreciate (if they do it all) my work and whats behind it. Also maybe it might give inspiration!

Ill start with the piece im most proud of. Took me about 70+ hours to draw this and complete it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9ac0489a615eb272083a98f8 85004e18

Concept: A monk goes to a swingset and plays with the sand creating a cityscape that he deems to be the world. Then swings above it looking down on all the marvels reflecting on life and becomes humble'd by the things he sees.

Things you might not notice or think about: The perspective is extremely abstract and surreal. It begins as just a simple shot of the swing moving in action but as you look through the cityscape all desgins of the city are drawn at bird view angle (multiple bird view angles) so no matter where you look its as if your dirrectly above it. Then the cityscape's angels slowly morph into similair perspectives creating lots of abstract shapes and feels. The design of the buildings are meant to be crude as i did not intend the monk in the picture to be a great artist, instead i wanted something that he could realisticly create on his own given what i deemed to be satisfactory. There are lots of improvement's that can be made here but as for one i am pleased. As for the horizon i chose a curve to resemble the earth as if the monk is up in space resembling his feelings on what he has created beneathe him and how it makes him feel about the world and his life.

Critiques are open and opinions more then happy to hear. Not all my work is this deep and meaningful but i have some others with meaning -_-

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-05-28 10:09:23

Well i couldnt upload my picture because it has too many pixels and i tried uploading it to the dumping site and that failed aswell.

So im just going to link you to DeviantArt if your curious.

My first Fire Study, (its pretty bad).

For the photo reference go ahead and google 'matches on fire' you will recognize it easily.

Fire Study (Pastel)

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-05-28 10:44:02

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-14 18:01:31

Latest update. Continuing from my deterr'd thread back onto this one.

Began layering and bringing out shadows/highlights.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-14 18:26:30

At 6/14/12 06:01 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Latest update. Continuing from my deterr'd thread back onto this one.

I delete the other thread, so you should repost your first pencil piece here. That was really nice. You should leave it pencil ;)

Also, how to see your past posts:

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-14 18:57:01

At 6/14/12 06:26 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 6/14/12 06:01 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Latest update. Continuing from my deterr'd thread back onto this one.
I delete the other thread, so you should repost your first pencil piece here. That was really nice. You should leave it pencil ;)

Also, how to see your past posts:

Thanks for deleting it.

Yea i figured it out when the other guy pointed it out to me. *sigh*

As for pencils and such i agree it did look a lot nicer. But my friend needs something vibrant with color. I am avoiding the pile because i'm terribly afraid of it! I don't know how im going to capture all the detail with these pastels the way they are working.

If things go as planned this should turn out pretty nice. The only backfire is how the "blue flame" looks. But i might look up some tutorials or ask professionals how they would go about handling flame with pastels.

Thanks for your post.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-14 20:08:06

You didn't do anything wrong man, I was just helping you out. Keep posting your art and people should start giving you some feedback. Keep up the good work

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-14 21:33:19

At 6/14/12 08:08 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: You didn't do anything wrong man, I was just helping you out. Keep posting your art and people should start giving you some feedback. Keep up the good work

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't see it as doing anything wrong. I just like to ramble.

I started to work on the flame and..... It just wasnt working. I didnt like it. So i started to pile on my blacks and blues. Trying to make it work.

Then i got the i guess brilliant idea at the time. To apply a backround tint then work on the flame from that. I used tissues to apply the texture of the backround and mesh everything.

Then when i started going at it, it all just kinda BLEH. Luckily i can still see the letters SK MUSIC.

But i think i just ruined this piece -_-

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-15 01:45:30

I am currently at a full stop with my pastel project. I wont continue it unless i have a full proof 120% plan of how im going to do it. No doubts allowed.

I get paid tomorrow so i will be buying a canvas and paints and i will begin my parents project. (painting my block a 5 paintings series on rather large canvas's in acrylic).

I thought i would upload some of my art not uploaded here from deviant art. Hope you enjoy, (also i hope they fit its too early to figure out how to resize things today).

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-15 01:48:49

Sketch of a idea/concept i want to perfect and draw in near future.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-15 01:50:31

Flower Wine Glass. Random doodle not really a design or anything just some drawing that i wanted to practice shading with.

Im going to redo this with a more complex delicate design.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-15 01:54:10

Ok, this is my last upload for a while. Ill start uploading again when i figure out how i want to fix my problem with my current project. Or if i get my paints and everything going and drawings of my house / neighborhood before then. Thanks for looking.

Its already linked in this thread and discussed about. But i figured people dont feel like clicking links so ill just upload it to this thread.

I am very proud of this.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-16 23:38:07

Latest update on my WIP. I really like where this is shaping up to.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-17 01:10:29

I'm gonna call this finished
btw the medium is chalk pastels

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-18 22:25:11

Hey, All i want to do is scale my picture to fit on a cd case then put a parental advisory sticker on it. What is a easy tutorial / free program to do this.

Can i use GIMP?

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-18 22:42:29

At 6/18/12 10:25 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Can i use GIMP?

Yeah, should be fine for that.
Hell, Paint could probably do that.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-18 22:44:54

At 6/18/12 10:42 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 6/18/12 10:25 PM, PMMurphy wrote: Can i use GIMP?
Yeah, should be fine for that.
Hell, Paint could probably do that.

Yea i was thinking paint + gimp. Idk if paint can scale it and make it look nice and not distorted though. But i know after i scale it with gimp i can put the sticker on with paint. Well im waiting for some feedback on some sites that im asking and depending on the majority answer and advice i get is what i'll do.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-19 14:00:23

After some edits with GIMP. Not much, i added more contrast and as i added contrast i took away brightness to balance it out. Then i edited the size of it to fit on a cd cover threw on a parental sticker.

here is the end result.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-20 16:55:07

I am going to start painting with acrylics. My subjects and things i will paint can be found here.

pmmurphy.deviantart.com. The photos are pretty obvious when you look at my gallery.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-20 17:18:00

At 6/15/12 01:54 AM, PMMurphy wrote: Ok, this is my last upload for a while. Ill start uploading again when i figure out how i want to fix my problem with my current project. Or if i get my paints and everything going and drawings of my house / neighborhood before then. Thanks for looking.

Its already linked in this thread and discussed about. But i figured people dont feel like clicking links so ill just upload it to this thread.

I am very proud of this.

You should be, its pretty well done, you capture perception pretty well, and the scene has a great level of depth too.
Out of curiosity how do you manage with the dirt? i'm familiar this kind of technique but i would assume alot of care had to be put into it, when keeping it clean, my thoughts would be that you put a blank piece of A4 paper over it when closing the pad.

BBS Signature

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-20 17:39:16

Honestly. I didnt cover the paper with anything. I wasnt very careful or clean about it. All i did was i applied charcoal to areas taht i felt needed to be dark. Then used a blending stump to create details. The effects of the charcoal was enough to portray the dirt.

I plan to remake it later when i have a better understanding and grasp of texture and forms/figures.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-24 15:32:40

Since i am new to painting i have decided to apoint some pencil drawings and create them into paintings.

here is the first pencil drawing.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-24 15:40:00

I messed up on the painting and even though i already knew. These hands are terribly drawn and making them larger only magnifies the misstakes. But here is the start of the painting.

I ran out of paint :(

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 01:28:07

Terrible photo copy. I'll do my best in next uploads of this.

This is going to be a VERY LARGE drawing. So I'm going to show the WIP in pieces of detailing only then show you the overall product in the end.

Basically for my brothers birthday i asked him if he wanted me to draw anything for him. He said mario and anything with mario in it. Since i so bluntly turned down anything relating to lady gaga.

So im drawing mario and toad in a landscape of my own imagination and creation.

I will be working on this very large drawing while i work on my paints and when im in recessions and such where i dont have paints to work with.... like now....

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 03:19:34

Here is an idea of how large this is.

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 12:29:44

more detailing

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 17:14:46

update: Im shading now because i dont want to forget everything i drew in the picture.

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 21:47:23

So im back and now i can post the drawing to this thread -_-

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-27 22:26:04

Someone thought this was A3 size. So here is a better demonstration of the size

PMMurphy's Art

Response to PMMurphy's Art 2012-06-28 17:44:52

I want to keep working on this. But i start to generate questions now as to what exactly i want to do.

So this is the best time to just sit back. Do something else for a day. Then come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.

PMMurphy's Art