00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GMan2006i just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Collector's Editions

773 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 18:21:38

So lately i've had a discussion with my friend. He began saying that collector's editions are a waste of money because they only give you some extra toys for like an extra 20 bucks and nothing else. Personally i see it from a different point of view. I personally collect various special editions of games that i like just because i want to collect them. I like to buy collector's editions just because it gives me the thrill of having it on my shelf and knowing that it just looks plain awesome there. The extra stuff is also great usually, depending on the game and the company that makes them. Sometimes, certain collector's editions aren't really worth buying cause they're crap quality. Others just feel that they are made of quality when you hold them in your hands.

What's your opinion on collector's editions, Worth buying or not?

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 18:26:25

I'd say the worth of a collector's edition game depends on the quality of the specific game's collector's edition packaging. For some games, such as Skyrim, you get a lot of really cool extras along with the game. But for some collector's edition versions of games, all you get is a tin case and perhaps some extra DLC tagged on to it, which in my opinion is not worth the extra money at all.

So it really depends on the game and how good the collector's edition is. For most, I'd say it's not really worth it. But occasionally they'll come out with some really nice packaging and extras to make it worthwhile.

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 18:29:41

It completely depends on the extras that you get. I'm more likely to but a special/collectors edition if it comes with physical items as oppose to DLC although I don't actually have many collectors editions. In fact, the only one I can think of owning is the Two Worlds collectors edition and it turned out not to be worth it. I thought the book it was coming with was like a game guide, turned out to be a book on how to play a table top RPG version of the game. Cool if you're into that kinda thing I guess, but I'm not.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 18:56:31

it really depends on what comes with the game. If its like skyrim their worth buying but if their like the new assassins creed coming out their not worth it

BBS Signature

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 19:30:41

At 5/3/12 06:56 PM, zelda1626 wrote: it really depends on what comes with the game. If its like skyrim their worth buying but if their like the new assassins creed coming out their not worth it

I agree with everyone here so far, although I would like to point out that there are some physical goodies that are just as crappy as DLC just containing an alt skin and a map pack. For example the stupid jukebox that came with AC Brotherhood, it was just a box with a stupid clown coming out of it. That's not something I would like to have showing on my shelves.
On the other hand, there are some great Collectors Edition games that comes mostly with DLC, and they are still great, for example the Infamous 2 one. It came with a Cole's backpack, Cole's statue, (a really brief) comic book and plenty of awesome DLC goodies that added variety to the game.

Hmm, now that I think it, the Infamous 2 CE had several physical goodies as well as DLC ones, so never mind.

Do you want a hot coffee?

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 21:03:19

Metroid Prime Trilogy is one of the rarest Wii games (got a used copy for 9$) and it comes with a hard disk case and some art book. Something subtly sleek and cool looking with a nice little bonus is worth at least 10$ more.

Something with a free controller and soundtrack (Skyward Sword) is definitely worth 20$ more than the original price.

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 21:39:16

I prefer in-game content or something wearable like a shirt or mask over shit i leave in the box.

BBS Signature

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-03 21:40:38

I have never bought a collectors edition anything, but I was really considering buying the UC3 collectors edition, even though the ring and belt looked like cheap plastic.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-04 00:45:12

For me, it just depends on how much I like the game. If it's a game series I like, then I go by what's in it.

Response to Collector's Editions 2012-05-04 03:01:16

Even though the game's been out for almost 2 years now, with another in the series coming out later near the end of the year, the Wal-Mart near my apartment still sells one of the special editions of Halo: Reach. It's not the one with the statues, it's the other special edition one.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature