00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Epic Battle Fantasy idea

16,972 Views | 100 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 07:06:01

This was initially in my news posts. I'm bringing up this idea on the Art Portal after getting a heads-up from HalcyonicFalconX.

The first EBF game was released in May 2009, making the series three years old.
Now I know there are a lot of people who at least enjoy playing the games, if they're not entirely fanatical about it.

So what say we come up with remixes (and gather the old ones), come up with fanart (and gather any old ones), etc., etc., someone put it into a neat little Flash, and we get it done by 31 May (or even 1 June)? Just as a tribute.

Now I know collabs like this have been done in the past, but hey. Collabs are fun.

I have asked over at the Audio Portal if anyone would like to join me in making remixes of the game's music; any genre is welcome. Now, I'd like to ask about the same thing here. If there's anyone who likes EBF and is up for some fanart, please, lemme know! I know Matt and friends would probably look awesome if they were de-chibified, and you guys are probably the best guys to do it.

As for the Flash, I'll try ask over the Flash portal and see if anyone's willing.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 07:49:14

At 5/3/12 07:06 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Now I know collabs like this have been done in the past, but hey. Collabs are fun.

So this is an art and audio collab?

If you can set up the ground work for what size canvas the pics should be (say 600x600px max), so that nothing overlaps the Flash collab canvas (which could be 700x700px, I don't know) then you'll be off to a good start.
Also there's no better advocate to showing your seriousness in this project than getting some WIPs running in this thread.

There's a few warning bells, however. We don't allow people to organise collabs without a 3.5 BA. Collabs can be fun, but only if the organiser knows what they're doing and doesn't bottle out due to inexperience. Since the deadline is in less than a month's time, I wouldn't be surprised if this project goes down the shitter.

However, it doesn't matter, since if the Flash collab craps out then people are welcome to submit their fanarts to the art portal. With any luck they'd be good enough to showcase on frontpage to celebrate the EBF's anniversary.

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 09:59:51

At 5/3/12 07:49 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 5/3/12 07:06 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Now I know collabs like this have been done in the past, but hey. Collabs are fun.
So this is an art and audio collab?

If you can set up the ground work for what size canvas the pics should be (say 600x600px max), so that nothing overlaps the Flash collab canvas (which could be 700x700px, I don't know) then you'll be off to a good start.
Also there's no better advocate to showing your seriousness in this project than getting some WIPs running in this thread.

There's a few warning bells, however. We don't allow people to organise collabs without a 3.5 BA. Collabs can be fun, but only if the organiser knows what they're doing and doesn't bottle out due to inexperience. Since the deadline is in less than a month's time, I wouldn't be surprised if this project goes down the shitter.

However, it doesn't matter, since if the Flash collab craps out then people are welcome to submit their fanarts to the art portal. With any luck they'd be good enough to showcase on frontpage to celebrate the EBF's anniversary.

My BA is high for audio (easily 4+). I don't think I can say the same for artwork.

Because this is the first effort like this that I'll be organising, I guess I was a little too ambitious to say that this should be done by 1 June. For starters, I need to find out when EBF4 is coming out -- I have already gotten word that it's coming out this year.

I mentioned this over the Flash portal, and I did ask that if anyone wanted any visual ideas, I'll be glad to supply some, and then have anyone work their way up from there. But I'd still like to pursue it, if I can.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 10:01:01

Also, 600x600 sounds like an okay size. Maybe 640 x 640 (for artwork that'll be 640 x 480).

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 10:24:27

At 5/3/12 09:59 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: My BA is high for audio (easily 4+). I don't think I can say the same for artwork.

Just wanted to inform you that BA applies to flash submissions, not audio or art.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 10:49:37

At 5/3/12 10:24 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 5/3/12 09:59 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: My BA is high for audio (easily 4+). I don't think I can say the same for artwork.
Just wanted to inform you that BA applies to flash submissions, not audio or art.

I see. Thanks for letting me know.
But wait-- if that's the case, then only Flash makers can start collabs, can they not?

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 12:16:36

At 5/3/12 10:49 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/3/12 10:24 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
I see. Thanks for letting me know.
But wait-- if that's the case, then only Flash makers can start collabs, can they not?

Technically, that would be the case.
But, there are instances where someone without the BA can make a collab, they just need moderator approval. It's mainly because they want to make sure that the person organizing it can commit to the project, and will actually produce something other than a piece of garbage.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 12:34:28

At 5/3/12 12:16 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Technically, that would be the case.
But, there are instances where someone without the BA can make a collab, they just need moderator approval. It's mainly because they want to make sure that the person organizing it can commit to the project, and will actually produce something other than a piece of garbage.

I don't know if I have any credentials to my name; I've been on NG for less than a year, I can only contribute to the best of my ability. One only needs to take a look at what I've done. Right now, I'm inviting people, and while waiting, I'll see if this thing gains momentum.

Whatever happens ain't gonna deter me.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 16:16:54

You go girl!!!

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-03 17:47:37

I can only say this for now: I have one strategy: let this thing build momentum and see where we take it from there. It's gaining some, in the Audio Forums, but I'll be glad to see some willing artists too.

Hopefully after I do today's leg of exam prep I may be able to draw up some ideas on how this thing's going to look.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-15 07:13:23

My exam's over and I'm here with updated information.

I am thinking the Flash size should be about 800 px in length, maximum. Which makes 600 in width. So the canvas size would be a little less than that, say, 720 x 540?

Images are varied, themes are varied, but I'm thinking of keeping it T-rated at the most, to fit in with players of the series (nearly the entire series has been T-rated except for Brawl Royale). Any style is welcome -- but again, I would not like too much character art. Equal focus has to be given on the characters, the atmosphere, the little things in EBF, Adventure Story and Bullet Heaven, the enemies, the weapons etc. If you're even inspired by the music, you're welcome to make something out of it!

To this day I haven't found a person who'd gladly put together the Flash. I'm not sure if Matt is up for it, but technically speaking, he wouldn't be, since this is a tribute, and not really part of the canon series. Still, if he'd like to give input, I'll gladly welcome him.

On that note, this is the status of the collab over at the Audio Portal, so it has gained quite a bit of momentum there. And so far two artists have shown interest.

I'll be glad to do something on my own too, in terms of visual art (I've already got a project coming up for the audio). It might not be the best, but I'll try.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-15 11:15:23

I am interested. Just started the 3rd game and it's really good xD Can't believe I never played it sooner.

So i'd be more than happy to do some art :3

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-15 20:09:53

I'm interested to do a fan art, I've enjoyed playing EBF when I joined Newgrounds and been following it since then :)

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-15 20:35:15

At 5/15/12 08:09 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: I'm interested to do a fan art, I've enjoyed playing EBF when I joined Newgrounds and been following it since then :)

How long do you think the project will take?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-18 20:10:22

At 5/15/12 08:35 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 5/15/12 08:09 PM, ZaneZansorrow wrote: I'm interested to do a fan art, I've enjoyed playing EBF when I joined Newgrounds and been following it since then :)
How long do you think the project will take?

Approximately three months. Matt has told me there are three months to the release of EBFIV, so the best thing to do is, we all get cracking on our submissions.

I suggest a deadline of two months from today, so that by the end of two months, we'll have all audio and art submissions ready, and then we can proceed to Flash.

Now honestly, I never thought this thing would get momentum on the Art Portal even, given its dismal start, but truly -- thank you! :D

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-18 20:12:00

By the way, for those who want a visual idea of what to expect of the final result, I've scribbled in a draft, on Camoshark's request.

You'd probably get the idea.

Epic Battle Fantasy idea

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-24 04:34:17

I'm as interested to do fan-art and it looks like I got to get cracking on drawing things digitally because I don't know how big 720x540 is on paper. I've already got some fan-arts here but I'm not scouted so I'm not that known here. DeviantArt, maybe. I would love to try to help so I can do something and not sitting ducks.

I thinking that if you guys want an EBF art side, the fan-art has gotta be as epic as possible as well. Not just some random tryout in Paint. Aim the Narwhal at me if this is not a good idea. I got a bullseye costume prepared.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-24 08:52:46

At 5/24/12 04:34 AM, Madame-Meepers wrote: I'm as interested to do fan-art and it looks like I got to get cracking on drawing things digitally because I don't know how big 720x540 is on paper. I've already got some fan-arts here but I'm not scouted so I'm not that known here. DeviantArt, maybe. I would love to try to help so I can do something and not sitting ducks.

Well, it's okay -- do what you can on paper, and we'll resize accordingly. I'll take care to keep the quality of the original intact. And it's okay if you're not scouted -- I'll be sure to take a look at what you do and I'll link to yours. Put it up on NG anyway, so that the project can link to your work -- otherwise it'll defeat the purpose of you contributing art to the NG project.

I thinking that if you guys want an EBF art side, the fan-art has gotta be as epic as possible as well. Not just some random tryout in Paint. Aim the Narwhal at me if this is not a good idea. I got a bullseye costume prepared.

Of course. But I also recommend it be heartfelt too. : )

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-24 20:08:12

Greetings, I´m here on behalf of Epic Battle Fantasy fangroup "TEBF" [link] on deviantart, we would like to give you support on this project of yours, we will update our journals advertising this, but we need you to tell us what information you need them to have (any advance you have in the project, rules or deadlines) so we can spread the information in the best way and get most attention from the EBF fans.

so, particularly speaking, I´m "PtolemaiosLS" one of the most dedicated EBF fanartist here in deviantart, I have contributed some artworks for EBF4 and I would love to help you in this third EBF anniversary, you can contact me in my deviantart page preferentially or here in newgrounds if you don´t have a deviantart account.

hope we can work together, I´m sure you can get some good help from deviantart.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-24 21:22:16

At 5/24/12 08:08 PM, Ptolemaios wrote: Greetings, IÃ'´m here on behalf of Epic Battle Fantasy fangroup "TEBF" [link] on deviantart, we would like to give you support on this project of yours, we will update our journals advertising this, but we need you to tell us what information you need them to have (any advance you have in the project, rules or deadlines) so we can spread the information in the best way and get most attention from the EBF fans.

so, particularly speaking, IÃ'´m "PtolemaiosLS" one of the most dedicated EBF fanartist here in deviantart, I have contributed some artworks for EBF4 and I would love to help you in this third EBF anniversary, you can contact me in my deviantart page preferentially or here in newgrounds if you donÃ'´t have a deviantart account.

hope we can work together, IÃ'´m sure you can get some good help from deviantart.

Thanks for your support!

I've seen TEBF (and your artwork in particular), and I've favourited one or two of your pieces (I'm on the same name there too). But I trust you understand why I want to keep this on Newgrounds: the collaboration is going to be on Newgrounds, and it's only right that we put it here so that every song, every artist, every artwork, can be linked to on the side without us having to put in links in the description. And Newgrounds takes pride in its content, so we might as well.

If you'd like to see the progression of the collab, go take a look at the Audio Portal's version of this thread. As far as themes go, pretty much anything EBF themed, keep it E- or T-rated.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-24 21:56:25

Well, did you find someone to create the actual flash already? I mean, without someone, only few people will actually care to create something. I am interested to join a proper Epic Battle Fantasy Collab, but I am unsure where this is going.

Is there a deadline yet? The deadline is not important as long as there is still a lot of time, but it would still be nice to have an approximate date. Is 720x540px the required size now?

It could be kinda frustrating to start a pic in a certain ratio just to find out the programmer of the final flash needs a different one afterwards.

You do know that the person who will put together the flash might also need some kind of menu screen and eventually some other graphics, do you? I mean it would be great if you found someone who will take care of all that, but you can't rely on that.

Generally I think more clear instructions could raise some more interest.

In either way, good luck with the project, it's an interesting idea.

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-25 04:28:36

At 5/24/12 09:56 PM, Luwano wrote: Well, did you find someone to create the actual flash already? I mean, without someone, only few people will actually care to create something. I am interested to join a proper Epic Battle Fantasy Collab, but I am unsure where this is going.

Is there a deadline yet? The deadline is not important as long as there is still a lot of time, but it would still be nice to have an approximate date. Is 720x540px the required size now?

It could be kinda frustrating to start a pic in a certain ratio just to find out the programmer of the final flash needs a different one afterwards.

You do know that the person who will put together the flash might also need some kind of menu screen and eventually some other graphics, do you? I mean it would be great if you found someone who will take care of all that, but you can't rely on that.

Generally I think more clear instructions could raise some more interest.

In either way, good luck with the project, it's an interesting idea.

The people at the Flash portal were unsure about it. But here's our strategy: finish the Art and Audio, bring all the momentum to the Flash Portal, and so we know that there's not just one user behind it, but many. That way, we can get a Flash user. Asking the Flash people alone has not worked, and I know because I made sure to put this collab in EVERY relevant thread: Flash, Audio, Art, Collaborations. I'm well aware of where this is going, and it's best that I tell you.

Matt himself has said that EBF4 wil be released in three months. I started this in early May. We want to finish the Audio and Art sides of this collab by the end of June. That'll give us one month to put our heads together and ask the Flash people. Audio is already going quickly.

I'll put it bluntly: 720 is huge for Newgrounds. The highest ratio one can have without scrolling down to see the top or bottom is approximately 800px. That is precisely why I picked that resolution.

If I must give that Flash my own touch with graphics, I'll gladly do it.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-26 12:04:56

At 5/24/12 09:22 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

Thanks for your support!

I've seen TEBF (and your artwork in particular), and I've favourited one or two of your pieces (I'm on the same name there too). But I trust you understand why I want to keep this on Newgrounds: the collaboration is going to be on Newgrounds, and it's only right that we put it here so that every song, every artist, every artwork, can be linked to on the side without us having to put in links in the description. And Newgrounds takes pride in its content, so we might as well.

If you'd like to see the progression of the collab, go take a look at the Audio Portal's version of this thread. As far as themes go, pretty much anything EBF themed, keep it E- or T-rated.

it´s a shame you won´t accept any help outside newgrounds, I still have this newgrounds account and can upload the collab artwork in here.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-26 18:52:18

At 5/26/12 12:04 PM, Ptolemaios wrote: itÃ'´s a shame you wonÃ'´t accept any help outside newgrounds, I still have this newgrounds account and can upload the collab artwork in here.

I know Matt brought up the idea of me asking the people on DA, but it's the whole crediting process I need to worry about too...

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-27 02:30:56

At 5/24/12 08:52 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/24/12 04:34 AM, Madame-Meepers wrote: I'm as interested to do fan-art and it looks like I got to get cracking on drawing things digitally because I don't know how big 720x540 is on paper. I've already got some fan-arts here but I'm not scouted so I'm not that known here. DeviantArt, maybe. I would love to try to help so I can do something and not sitting ducks.
Well, it's okay -- do what you can on paper, and we'll resize accordingly. I'll take care to keep the quality of the original intact. And it's okay if you're not scouted -- I'll be sure to take a look at what you do and I'll link to yours. Put it up on NG anyway, so that the project can link to your work -- otherwise it'll defeat the purpose of you contributing art to the NG project.

Of course. But I also recommend it be heartfelt too. : )

Thanks for that! I'm already cracking up to 5 drafts. Now if I recall, you'd prefer if they weren't character art right? Because I've planned to finish colouring four pictures that I left in lineart since Chinese New Year (which's very early this year?).

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-27 13:20:17

At 5/26/12 06:52 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/26/12 12:04 PM, Ptolemaios wrote: itÃf'Ã'´s a shame you wonÃf'Ã'´t accept any help outside newgrounds, I still have this newgrounds account and can upload the collab artwork in here.
I know Matt brought up the idea of me asking the people on DA, but it's the whole crediting process I need to worry about too...

The crediting process can be solved, but for my collaboration I can post the artwork here in newgrounds too.

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-27 14:52:52

At 5/27/12 01:20 PM, Ptolemaios wrote:
At 5/26/12 06:52 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/26/12 12:04 PM, Ptolemaios wrote: itÃff'Ãf'Ã'´s a shame you wonÃff'Ãf'Ã'´t accept any help outside newgrounds, I still have this newgrounds account and can upload the collab artwork in here.
The crediting process can be solved, but for my collaboration I can post the artwork here in newgrounds too.

I am afraid you would not be allowed to post other people's art here on NG, even if the artists on dA gave you permission to do so. I am just posting this to prevent you from getting into trouble. Many artists on NG have deviantart accounts however, so you could just ask them if they want to submit their works to your group to get some more exposure. At the same time you could ask your group members or fans to join NG if they wanna submit to the collab.

Those are all just ideas from me, how both of you could benefit from cooperating. It's up to the thread starter to decide if she wants to cooperate of course.

As for me, I started sketching a piece featuring Meow Meow, but I will only finish it when I have some spare time between other projects OR when there is someone that will create the final flash.

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-27 16:10:32

Thanks for that! I'm already cracking up to 5 drafts. Now if I recall, you'd prefer if they weren't character art right? Because I've planned to finish colouring four pictures that I left in lineart since Chinese New Year (which's very early this year?).

Lovely! And yes, I do have a preference for anything but character art because a lot of people would go for characters first. I guess a bit of character art every now and then is good, but as I said, we'd need equal focus on all elements.

Thank you! ^_^

I am afraid you would not be allowed to post other people's art here on NG, even if the artists on dA gave you permission to do so. I am just posting this to prevent you from getting into trouble. Many artists on NG have deviantart accounts however, so you could just ask them if they want to submit their works to your group to get some more exposure. At the same time you could ask your group members or fans to join NG if they wanna submit to the collab.
Those are all just ideas from me, how both of you could benefit from cooperating. It's up to the thread starter to decide if she wants to cooperate of course.
As for me, I started sketching a piece featuring Meow Meow, but I will only finish it when I have some spare time between other projects OR when there is someone that will create the final flash.

I'd love to -- provided we comply with NG rules of course. I need to be sure what's allowed and what isn't. I wasn't too sure about the whole DA thing.

Also, lovely! I need to get cracking on a sketch in the next few days...

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-28 02:46:19

At 5/27/12 04:10 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Lovely! And yes, I do have a preference for anything but character art because a lot of people would go for characters first. I guess a bit of character art every now and then is good, but as I said, we'd need equal focus on all elements.

True that. But usually, when it comes to fan-art, the first thing people would go for are the characters because their the most memorable thing of the game/show/etc. Just to let you know... The four I'm planning to finish would be the characters de-chibified and I've made Chinese costumes for them. As for 5 drafts, well, scenes of the games. Hopefully that would do?

Response to Epic Battle Fantasy idea 2012-05-28 03:43:47

At 5/28/12 02:46 AM, Madame-Meepers wrote: Stuff
Hopefully that would do?

I trust that should, yes. : )