00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware

28,046 Views | 88 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 13:57:43

Awesome stuff. And I'm glad I don't have to go to work this Saturday so I can witness Pico Day.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 14:18:00

cool, both update 1 & 2, especially update 2, all that crapware is making Newgrounds look worse than the Wii

while :;do if windows sucks;then mv windows /dev/null;pacman -Sy linux;fi;done

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 14:28:05

At 4/25/12 01:47 PM, deathink wrote:

This is the problem I've noticed with how crap gets through on the portal, I hate when a game gets passed through just because it was functional as a game and thats about it. It's almost a reflection of the sorry state of things if the criteria of a passable game is that it is just functional. My criteria for reviewing a game is you get 5 stars if I truly enjoyed the game and will probably want to come back and play again, 4 stars if you made a game that I enjoyed enough to play until the end or deep into the game, but probably will be the only time I visit the game. 3 stars if the game was able to capture my interest at some point and felt like the author put sufficient effort into the game. I usually give 2 stars which is barely passable in my opinion to games where I saw potential but felt there was more that could've been done with it. 1 star to a game that I didn't see anything interesting or feel like I got any enjoyment from it. 0 stars if the game didn't show any effort to stand out or do anything special about it. I feel like if people stopped trying to be fair or judge based on what they think is right for other people games would be judged based solely on whether YOU enjoyed it and rate it based on that. You play games to have fun I don't want to search games to play something that just works, I want to play something to get enjoyment out of it.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 15:08:10

This is what I think about what will come to be called "The great exsorcism of the Bullshit Shovelware":

WAY TO GO TOM! Jesus. H. tapdancing Christ, that stuff was pissing me off.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 15:10:05

If you are making a game or movie for Pico Day, please POP THIS LOGO somewhere and make it link to the Pico Day 2012 page.

hey tom,did you draw that logo?

go to my website

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 16:12:17

At 4/24/12 11:38 PM, Luis wrote: cutest couple.

I nominate Stamper and Jeff.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 16:40:11

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 17:03:43

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Thank you. I cringe every time I look at the Under Judgement section and see 20 such submissions. Not only do they suck, it also makes it harder to notice the really good games buried in the crap.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 17:10:32

It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 17:13:59

At 4/25/12 05:10 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.

Except submissions deleted that way don't seem to count towards the blam number now. Look at yesterday's obituaries and then see how many it states were blammed.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 17:27:46

At 4/25/12 03:10 PM, davethemonkey wrote:
If you are making a game or movie for Pico Day, please POP THIS LOGO somewhere and make it link to the Pico Day 2012 page.
hey tom,did you draw that logo?

The Pico Day logo is by Ephyse, you should favorite him! It's based on art from his site skin, I should have mentioned that. The Pico Day title fontage was added by JohnnyUtah.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 19:01:26

At 4/25/12 05:33 AM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine... chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted.
So no more Game Factory or Stencyl games then?

Now that's not fair as these are just game developer programs and can be used well if one takes the effort to actual learn how to use them. What SHOULD be blammed though, of the TGF2 at least, are the Chocobreak clones and variants that people keep posting. (Unless now that has been resolved).

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 19:08:56

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Awesome, I've been waiting for something like this. Fuck those faceless gaming companies. Good to see that shit pushed aside and actual user-generated content remaining.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 20:14:23

Tom, you just made this site a million times better with Update 2. Thanks man. THANK YOU.

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 20:28:09

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware.

TOM

I LOVE YOU SO FREAKING MUCH

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 20:31:01

Update 2. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg. so goood.
No moar girls dress up games and puzzles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Also, i have two fans q___q of whom both i know (have known) irl exDeee

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 20:36:41

At 4/25/12 01:47 PM, deathink wrote:
At 4/25/12 06:52 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I do hope users stop trying to save shovelware now, I know a lot of people did it because they assumed it would pass judgment and wanted the points. LAME.

ntil you vote (that's not a very good solution). I am guilty of doing the opposite, when I see a good submission that I feels didn't get a good enough score I will give it a 5/5, while this is nicer, its still bad to do. Anyway I am sorry this is so long, thanks to anyone who read it.

The rating systems only benefits if we all work inn tandem and take it seriously. Fight today, for a better portal tomarrow!
VIVA LA NEWGROUNDS!

Truly;
M.B. DeathInk

It should be about voting fairly I admire youre honesty though. I'm glad Those shoveware have beeb remove real authors care about there games, and don't submit rubbish like these authors did.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 21:49:34

You missed one. :P

Now, can we also do something about those spam accounts that have been raping the blogs section too? Some of the stuff they've been advertising lately is outright dangerous and / or illegal (read: fake medication, firearms, get-out-of-DUI-free cards etc.).

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-25 23:37:24

I wonder if the "My Fans" section will have our works statistics individually placed. By that, I mean Favorites.

Like, pre-2012 redesign, I used to (and enjoyed) being able to see who Favorited what. I can't do that anymore (well, not yet, anyhow). I liked being able to see what information.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 00:42:08

At 4/25/12 10:27 PM, daethdrain wrote: I hate the new favorites system. I like Marc. M for his music and his songs but he's not my favorite user. Neither are the various artist that are mixed up in there. Honestly I don't have a favorite user. It's just people whose certain work I enjoy. Now you won't know what I enjoy of them since it's all mixed up.
I'm also not looking toward to only being able to vote once on a submission.

This. Why is there an amalgamation of things you really like when there doesn't need to be? What's wrong with categories? They're organized. When your friend asks you what your favorite book is, you don't say Street Fighter 2. Simple is not ALWAYS better.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 03:23:02

At 4/25/12 05:25 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 4/25/12 05:13 PM, Bahamut wrote:
At 4/25/12 05:10 PM, DrMackFoxx wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the "Entries Blammed Yesterday" stat is later when the system resets due too all those garbage games getting removed. XD Already, 1,667 entries have been deleted so far today as of this writing.
Except submissions deleted that way don't seem to count towards the blam number now. Look at yesterday's obituaries and then see how many it states were blammed.
Yes because it says BLAMMED now, meaning things blammed/removed under judgment are the only ones counted. This was different before this design since it said Deleted Yesterday which would count ALL submissions removed or deleted that day.

Ah, ha. Well, nonetheless, a grand total of 2,725 entries were removed in the last 24 hour cycle. Of those, 2,705 appear to have been shovelware deletions. Extermination completed. At least for now, I suspect.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 08:21:41

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: Right now you can click the little star icon in your header (next to the logout button) and view recent activity by people you have favorited...

I don't think it's working anymore :'(

At least mine isn't. I haven't gotten any new notifications since you made this post ...even though there has been new art uploaded and news posts made by users already on my list.

You can also click the fan count to view users who have favorited that artist.

I can't seem to rearrange the order of *some* of the artists I've hearted. For example, no matter where I move JohnnyUtah, 4, 14, 40... he refuses to leave the top 3. I mean, Jeff is great and all! And he totally deserves to be in the top 3... but only if I choose to put him there, not because his icon is being difficult! JEFF! gawd!! ;P

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 08:50:21

At 4/26/12 08:21 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: I can't seem to rearrange the order of *some* of the artists I've hearted. For example, no matter where I move JohnnyUtah, 4, 14, 40... he refuses to leave the top 3. I mean, Jeff is great and all! And he totally deserves to be in the top 3... but only if I choose to put him there, not because his icon is being difficult! JEFF! gawd!! ;P

I have the same problem, Renaenae is currently 3rd... 3RD!... how do i move her to the top :3

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 08:54:12

I have more fans tha I expected atleast, lol, also, it'll be nicer without so much shovelware.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 09:50:21

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: How it works now: You can favorite an artist from anywhere and they will appear on a single list of people you have favorited. We will likely change the terminology to something like "Follow", since you are really choosing to follow that person and receive updates about what they are doing.
Right now you can click the little star icon in your header (next to the logout button) and view recent activity by people you have favorited. We'll be making that info more prominent down the road.

That's actually really neat. I love that. Favorite is more than just a "derp favorite me" thing now, thanks!

Go favorite these guys to kick things off:
http://stamper.newgrounds.com/
http://mindchamber.newgrounds.com/
http://johnnyutah.newgrounds.com/
http://luis.newgrounds.com/

No, thank you.

You can click the pink heart in their userpage navbar. You can also click the fan count to view users who have favorited that artist.

We've officially updated our submission guidelines to ban the submission of shovelware. Shovelware is a somewhat nebulous area on NG but if you've ever submitted a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV, chances are all your submissions will be / have been deleted. The same goes for generic ad nauseam "Spot the Difference" and "Dress Up" games. We can spot the difference between a developer who put care into his game and some sweatshop slapping ads on the same shit twice a day.

Huh? I'm confused cause I thought this site was Everything by Everyone? The users apparently "saved" those games into the website so why are they being deleted? Cause they suck? That's super duper uncool bro. I hate seeing all these puzzle and dressup games as well but at what point are we gonna stick by our slogan?

ASK ME A QUESTION.

Ok, when is this damn delete button coming back!?

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-26 10:34:42

At 4/26/12 09:50 AM, ThisIsAnEmergency wrote: Huh? I'm confused cause I thought this site was Everything by Everyone? The users apparently "saved" those games into the website so why are they being deleted? Cause they suck? That's super duper uncool bro. I hate seeing all these puzzle and dressup games as well but at what point are we gonna stick by our slogan?

Think about it. If "Everything, by Everyone" was meant to be taken literally, why do we have a judgement filter at all?

The only reason those things got past the portal in the first place is because all the mindless savewhores voted them in for the points. No-one actually liked them for their own merits as games, and given how clogged the portal got at times with them, they were little different from spam submissions anyway.

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-27 01:17:01

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: UPDATE 1:

We just completed a change to the Favorites system!

Cool

I noticed the change a day or so ago, looks nifty, keep up the awasome work.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-27 07:24:22

This new fan thing is awesome!

| Steam | Sig is by Homicide <3 |

BBS Signature

Response to Favorites Overhaul, Shovelware 2012-04-28 00:48:49

At 4/24/12 10:12 PM, TomFulp wrote: a game based on an out-of-the-box physics engine where you stuck Mario, SpongeBob or Ben 10 on an ATV,

I laughed at how spot-on this is.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature