00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fkkkkkkkkk123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

- N A T A - Open Round!

71,757 Views | 635 Replies

- N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-15 23:38:30

You Ready?

Over the next 25 days, animators from across the world will have the opportunity to define their animating skill in this Tournament to decide would the ultimate Champion of Flash Artists is for the year 2012. This is the First Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation.

*** Open Round ***

The Theme for the Open Round is...

Discovering Time Travel

*** Rules ***

* You have until 11:59:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time, on May 10th to complete your submissions. No submissions will be accepted after the deadline without penalty.
* Entries must fit the theme above to both level the playing field and ensure that entries were not previously created.
* The animation must be no shorter than 1 Minute and no longer than 10 Minutes.
* The animation must be submitted on NewGrounds, in flash format or other acceptable format viewable on NewGrounds.
* Excess nudity, profanity, and other things of profane nature are not allowed. (It cannot have a "Mature" rating.)
* Absolutely NO copyright material is allowed without permission. If you use copyrighted music or other material in your animation, you MUST get the permission of the original creator of that material.
* If you would like to parody, then use similar names instead of the real names - ie. "Smears" instead of "Sears". No copyrighted material whatsoever.
* The Audio portal is a great source for music, just be sure to get permission to use it for this contest!
* Any entry in violation of these rules will be disqualified.

*** Judging ***

Entries will be judged by the following judges:
* Tom Fulp
* Elliot Cowan
* Dave Bruno
* NitWitt
* SymphyBunny

Judging for the Open Round will be performed by each judge selecting their "top picks" and combining the top pick lists to narrow the entries down to the top 32, which will enter the brackets. In each bracketed round, judging will be score-based on each entry.

*** Submissions ***

* Entries must be uploaded via the NewGrounds Flash Portal.
* Entries must be tagged with "nata2012open" to distinguish them from other rounds and years.
* Entries must be submitted before the deadline. (See above)
* Be sure to post a link to your entry in this topic, to be sure your entry does not get lost.
* Entries will otherwise be found by searching "nata2012open" on NewGrounds, showing all entries with that tag.

*** Late Penalties ***

Late penalties look like this for submissions after the deadline:
0 - 29 minutes: - 5 total points
30 - 59 minutes: - 10 total points
1 - 2 hours: - 15 total points
2 - 3 hours: - 20 total points
3 - 4 hours: - 30 total points
4 - 5 hours: - 40 total points
5+ hours: Disqualified

*** Current Prize ***

The top 32 scored entrants from the Open Round will each move on to the Novice Round brackets and receive a $15 prize for making it in. All prizes will be awarded in October, AFTER the competition ends.

*** Fine Print ***

* By submitting an entry to NATA 2012, you agree to allow NATA and its organizers to use your material to promote the contest and use it for possible calendars and other merchandise.
* All entrants must have a paypal or the ability to receive a check in the mail in order to claim their prizes.
* The final Champion of Flash Artists at the completion of the contest must create an illustrated image of themselves interacting with planet Earth, as is NATA tradition to document their victory with such an image on the NATA website.

Good Luck!!

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-15 23:45:46

Ooh, I can work with that theme. I had an idea for a series revolving around that, but it's a parody. What specific rules revolving around parodying characters are there? If it's allowed, I know what I'm going to be working on, if not, then I'm going to need to do some more thinking, heh.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-15 23:46:27

At 4/15/12 11:40 PM, LazyAss23 wrote: Time to get started :D

OH I GET IT LIKE "TIME" TO GET STARTED

okay I'll shut up now

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-15 23:48:23

Awesome! I've started alreadyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-15 23:53:46

Party time people....time travel sounds like an interesting subject.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 00:17:51

Lock and load people. This should be very fun.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 00:18:20

So the theme is discovering time travel. All those years of watching doctor who, old Sci-fi movies and crummy cartoons will finally pay off. This round will be an all out brawl between the entries, good thing i have my crowbar.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 00:36:43

Time travel sounds fun, I'm sure I can come up with something by then.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 00:38:44

To make sure everyone's entry is as high quality as possible, remember: If you make a story about a person going back in time to prevent something but ending up causing it, you're immediately disqualified.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 01:00:22

I think I like this theme.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 01:13:25

Hey everybody!

Looks like Ill be judging this year! Haha I feel bad I haven't really been keeping up with Newgrounds the past 6 months, things got a little busy for me. That being said, I definitely have enough time to pick apart your pieces! If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to PM me about them, Id be happy to answer. Otherwise I hope everyone has fun with this and learns something about their craft, and maybe even something about themselves. I know I did.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! ;)

-Dave Bruno

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 01:28:33

At 4/16/12 01:13 AM, DaveBruno wrote: Hey everybody!

Looks like Ill be judging this year! Haha I feel bad I haven't really been keeping up with Newgrounds the past 6 months, things got a little busy for me. That being said, I definitely have enough time to pick apart your pieces! If anyone has any questions or anything feel free to PM me about them, Id be happy to answer. Otherwise I hope everyone has fun with this and learns something about their craft, and maybe even something about themselves. I know I did.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor! ;)

-Dave Bruno

Oh Dave,

Your infinite wisdom showers me in the warmth of Apollo. Tis a beacon in a world of darkness, fear, and contempt. Oh how I seek the nurturing milk and knowledge of your bosom. Heed my words dear friend, for I sit upon a sheath of hope. Do not cut me, for I am just a man, only a man.

Dearest friend,

-Jake

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 01:44:41

Awesome. cant wait to get this started.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 02:25:22

Bring it on newgrounds.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 02:44:52

There may or may not be category prizes at the end of the contest, as well. These prizes will most likely involve NG Store credit :)

Possible categories include "Funniest Entry", "Best Entry that didn't make it", and "Best Story". But this is yet to be seen.

Again, good luck to all, and may the favors be forever in your odd.

... wait.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 02:51:53

Oh boy!

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 03:17:14

At 4/15/12 11:38 PM, NATA wrote:
* The Audio portal is a great source for music, just be sure to get permission to use it for this contest!

I thought when users submitted to the audio portal they were also granting a license to have it used in animations, thereby giving us permission...

Is it because this is a special contest with sponsors and commercialization and all that? I'm totally down with shooting a PM to the users who make the audio I want to use, but I'm just worried about finding a song on a dead account and never getting a response. Wouldst I be disqualified in such an example?

-The Ninjkabat: Cartoonist, Animator, VA, Japanese speaker, and Ninja all rolled into one.

Twitter | Google+ | deviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 03:31:07

At 4/16/12 03:17 AM, Ninjkabat wrote:
At 4/15/12 11:38 PM, NATA wrote:
I thought when users submitted to the audio portal they were also granting a license to have it used in animations, thereby giving us permission...

Is it because this is a special contest with sponsors and commercialization and all that? I'm totally down with shooting a PM to the users who make the audio I want to use, but I'm just worried about finding a song on a dead account and never getting a response. Wouldst I be disqualified in such an example?

The great majority of audio files on NG state that you can use them freely so long as you credit them in your animation, and also for "non-commercial" purposes. While a contest like this isn't necessarily commercial in the sense that you're actively selling and making profit from it, you do in fact have the potential to be making money while using someone else's music. It is courteous to include the music author in the loop because if they are aiding your entry's quality, then they may feel entitled to a cut of the prize you earn while using it.

If they do not reply to you, you can still technically use their music. However, if they decide to come back some day and aren't happy with not receiving a cut of the prize, then it is your responsibility to settle things with them.

I hope this clears up the "audio rights usage" discussion in advance that we have every year :)

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 04:05:06

At 4/16/12 03:31 AM, NATA wrote: music stuff

Fair enough, haha.

Now to go music hunting. Sort of already know what I want to do animation wise in my head, but now just need the music to complete the idea haha.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 05:46:55

At 4/16/12 03:31 AM, NATA wrote: music stuff

Ok, common sense is the name of the game. Got it. Time to get-a-script-writtin'.

-The Ninjkabat: Cartoonist, Animator, VA, Japanese speaker, and Ninja all rolled into one.

Twitter | Google+ | deviantArt

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 05:49:15

Got it, Time Travel on May 10th. Got it. I'll try, but I make no guarantees on actually getting in...

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 06:08:46

At 4/16/12 02:44 AM, NATA wrote: Again, good luck to all, and may the favors be forever in your odd.

... wait.

Ah yes, may the favors be in all of our odd's.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 06:16:01

Time travel :D Sounds fun time to start it!

Also quick question - there are no problems uploading the submissions to YouTube yeah?

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 06:49:35

I LOVE IT!
I love every year when the theme is announced 3 years I've followed the competition and I think I'll find a good way around the theme! Good luck everyone, And may the odds be ever in you favor!

Hunger games fuck yeah

I think the Portal Music schit is going to be bothersome, the only songs I really think will work are commercial songs but no matter I'll make it work!

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 06:55:29

Woohoooo, time for Nata!

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 07:48:51

At 4/16/12 07:14 AM, Fungasm wrote: Well, you don't HAVE to use portal music, just make sure it's music you have permission to use. Under royalty-free, public domain, and/or some creative commons. Look into it a bit to make sure you're music is alright, and you should be good.

Alright thanks man!
And are you entering :D Your both my biggest inspiration and my biggest threat D:
What have you been up to?

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 08:06:55

Flash's reigning champ King David is pondering :)

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 10:07:49

I guess I will try my hand at this as well *cracks knuckles* owie...

Check out my website and my facebook page. If you have twitter, then come and follow me @derekotsu

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 10:16:43

Im already done with script. Im already animating.

Response to - N A T A - Open Round! 2012-04-16 10:23:41

Awesome topic!
I've already got a couple ideas, think i'll brainstorm some more first before settling on any though. I'm so PUMPED FOR THIS!!!
Good luck everyone!

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature