00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KermittTheGr8 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Critique?

865 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation Critique? 2012-02-16 15:41:12

Check it out
I've recently gotten back into animating, any critique appreciated

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-16 19:01:06

His head moves very awkward and is a bit dislodged from his neck. (Even though you didn't draw a neck, it's still a joint connecting the head to the body) I don't know what you try to aim for with this character style though so I won't go any further.
You should probably also reconsider the parkinson-esque movement of his gun-arm because it sort of distracts from his gestures, which are the main focus of that scene until he fires.
The animations and visuals are very basic, try to put more weight into your movements. I'd also recommend you draw the character more detailed as the visuals of a movie are usually the first thing that determines wether the audience looses interest or not.
Try to improve your drawing skills especially in human anatomy because once you got that down you can develop your own character designs way more easily, even if they are cartoonish or semi-stick figures since those are all derived from realistic anatomy.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-16 21:37:52

At 2 hours ago, kmau wrote: The animations and visuals are very basic, try to put more weight into your movements.

First off, i agree with everything you just said.

Secondly, weight is not something so easily understood just by stating "add weight." Allow me to explain a bit more.

Weight is shown in the human body by how the limbs fall to the sides or how the legs bend or how the entire body shifts in order to hold itself up. Contrapposto is an art term for putting most of your weight on one leg, and is used quite often because that's generally how the human body looks. If you're standing you're usually putting your weight on one leg, then the other, shifting it around depending on how you feel or your stamina, plenty of factors. The point is, you generally won't have all your weight on both legs, and that ends up looking pretty flat anyways, so the best way to show off weight in a natural standing position is contrapposto.

Shifting your weight from side to side happens more often than just in standing. You should notice if you were to wave your arms from side to side slowly your weight will shift appropriately, and if you start to flail your arms then your weight will shift dramatically, or slowly but with huge emphasis, depending on what you want to be the focus (your arms or your entire body). The main thing about showing off weight is that, for the most part, you don't just move one part of your body. You don't just wave an arm, you don't just kick a leg, you don't just turn your head. Your entire body moves around to accommodate the new position you are choosing, and it's up to you to show that in your animation. You decide to turn your head, your torso and hips move with it, which cause your arms to turn and your legs to shift position/weight. You wave an arm you'll probably end up leaning the opposite direction to keep your body in balance.

And balance is a major factor. If your character ever looks like he should be falling over but he isn't, then instantly he loses all of his weight (for the moment) and your viewer is brought out of your animation and back into real life. Practice poses at home in a mirror to see how the body balances itself out, and try and catch all the small pieces your body adjusts in order to stay upright

That's what we mean by weight. The feeling that gravity and friction are actually acting on the person/object.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-16 22:24:55

and not a single work for the poor diseased sheep

its an ok start, keep going

ama gon chill

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-17 11:10:46

At 13 hours ago, fluffkomix wrote: Secondly, weight is not something so easily understood just by stating "add weight." Allow me to explain a bit more.

Thanks for explaining it to him, I'm not really good at explaining things about animation in detail because I'm the type that does these things naturally.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-18 12:04:08

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll go work on it when I get the time to. In the meantime here's some more stuff I've done in the past few days.

These are all just for practice.
Blood Splat
Jump Kick
Lip Syncing
Ball Loop 1
Ball Loop 2

Also, here's something

Animation Critique?

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-18 12:46:31

Blood Splat

It's alright (Doing stuff like that is actually a good practice for a wide variety of effects) but remember that blood and other fluids usually land somewhere, like on a wall or floor, with a sudden splash instead of vaporizing.

Jump Kick

Only thing I noticed here is that his leg should be longer when stretched out during the kick. The anticipations are a bit mild but still there. I would add more frames to them just to see how it looks, but the best solution would probably be to make him bent down further so that the anticipation looks heavier without needing to draw more frames.

Lip Syncing

Hah at first I was gonna note how you don't open your mouth that wide when saying "boob", then I read "(Bob)". The lip movement is a bit exaggerated for a normal conversation, but wether that fits or not would depend on the scene/script/style/etc.

Ball Loops

This looks really good, only thing I would change is the time the balls spend being pushed flat against the invisible walls. They just go back to their normal form too early and stand around for a few millisecs before moving back. You could try to redraw the lines more consistent to see how smooth you could make it.

Something

The anticipation in here is way better than in the jump kick, only his body should move down a bit more so that it doesn't look like his lower legs and knees extend upwards.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-18 13:29:29

It's great that you are practicing animation but don't forget one factor for art, draw from observation, keep a sketchbook or drawing paper with you while you animate and look up blood and draw actual blood (nothing more detailed and will teach you better then real life drawings) along with mountains and whatever you feel like. After a while you'll realize you will know how to draw blood and things like a pro.

you should also try different pose's of characters and real life people then when you create your own they can move in ways you cant believe.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-18 18:39:15

Again thanks for the feedback :D
Here'ssomething I want you guys to check out, this has taken me a bit more than an hour to make, I'm going to work on the details on his body when I have the time.

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-18 19:47:10

At 1 hour ago, billzter wrote: Again thanks for the feedback :D
Here'ssomething I want you guys to check out, this has taken me a bit more than an hour to make, I'm going to work on the details on his body when I have the time.

Some progress made. :)
Link

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-19 19:34:24

The mouth moves so fast that it appears as if he is only saying "Fus dah". Slowing the whole thing down a little bit would help.
Also (from a nitpicky nerd standpoint) he should throw his head and arms back a bit in order to underline the inhaling while saying "Fus" and afterwards lift his hand and sword up, thrusting his head forward while yelling "ro dah". His whole body needs to 'speak' while yelling. Right now it looks like he is doing a force push from Star Wars.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-22 19:17:16

Here
Okay, in this one I wasn't focusing on the looks, I was more focusing on techniques to use. :)

Also, there isn't any story in it other than he's going to work...

Response to Animation Critique? 2012-02-24 19:00:29

Here
That's something I've been working on for the past two days, although it was only like 2-3 hours of work.

Any thoughts?