00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kellyxeni2 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

To My Fellow Artists!

6,210 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 13:16:53

Hi there newgrounders... Here's the thing

There's a really cool contest going on, on Deviantart. I've decided to enter and some of you should get in on this too.
It's designing some T-shirt prints with the theme "Cute Monsters", there's some really schweet prizes, plus if you win you get your T-shirt made and sold too.

The first half of the contest is determined solely by votes which is where I need some of your help. If you have a Deviantart account over there just click the entries below then on "I'd Wear This". to cast your vote. I'd really appreciate it no lie!

For You
Hidin and
Sleepy

p.s Since this is the art forum and i've been absent for a bit I'll be using this thread as my new sketch thread too woohoo!

this is what they look like :

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 13:39:46

You've got my votes.

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 13:50:08

At 31 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: Hi there newgrounders... Here's the thing

I SHALL VOTE FOR THESE!

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 14:04:47

What those two said ^^^

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 18:16:55

I voted too

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 19:10:54

At 51 minutes ago, Knocturne wrote: I voted too

Really cool designs, voted!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 19:16:28

Hooray, Jagon's got a personal thread now.

Oh, and voted too.

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 19:19:01

They be awdworable, voted.

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-16 19:46:33

I lied and said that I'd wear them.

This post has no motherfucking worth whatsoever, just thought I might drop my banal two cents. Nice designs, though.

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-17 01:41:45

thanks so much for the support guys

here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-17 01:47:19

wish we could post more than one image at a time eh? (i shan't triple post)

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-17 06:27:28

At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: wish we could post more than one image at a time eh? (i shan't triple post)

its a shame your limited to 7 colours, i really love the little yellow dude and how his ass sticks out of the back of the t-shirt...

also voted on all 3 of course :3

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-17 06:39:15

At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important

How did you go about making the colour palette, the gradient one which varies in saturation?

For that matter, did you paint the concept first, then select 7 suitable colours for the design?

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-18 02:36:45

At 19 hours ago, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 4 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: here's the process: we're only allowed a maximum of 7 colors which isn't a lot when you start counting. So here's how i went about getting the perfect color combos. the middle bit being the most important
How did you go about making the colour palette, the gradient one which varies in saturation?

For that matter, did you paint the concept first, then select 7 suitable colours for the design?

What I make first is that color palette shape. It's basically just a color wheel then I cut out a mask shape out of it. You can make any shape you want really but what it helps to do is restrict what colors you can use or not. When you're picking colors for a picture if you have the entire color wheel at your disposal its really easy to make a big mess of colors and trying to get all the compliments and to unite all the colors together gets harder. Using the color mask you limit what colors you can use.

At the top of each shape is the primary color for the entire illustration. It's opposite is the complimentary color and inbetween are the colors that tie it together. So it made it easier to get the color scheme this way. Then I paint digitally blending colors together mixing and matching but ONLY with colors in the mask. Then color picked out of the illustration the important colors removing unnecessary ones till i was left with 7 or less. Because they've been carefully picked, when you use them it looks like there's a lot more colors than there actually is because they compliment each other.

I use that mask technique on almost everything I paint now to get more coherent color schemes :)

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-18 13:02:11

At 10 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: I use that mask technique on almost everything I paint now to get more coherent color schemes :)

NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-25 08:00:29

At 6 days ago, ZaneZansorrow wrote: NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3

of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

that's a digital version i use all the time, there's different gamut shapes for different types of pictures and you can make your own too.

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-02-25 08:05:24

At 2 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

that's a digital version i use all the time, there's different gamut shapes for different types of pictures and you can make your own too.

oh my goodness pretty colors. *tries to pet screen*

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-04 14:22:51

Thanks for all the support on the shirt designs guys...the contest has closed to entries and voting endsmarch 6th!! So if you have a few friends on DA and you can scrounge up some last minute votes I'd be much obliged.

meanwhile...buried in the snow..

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-04 18:31:10

We have all just become that much more efficient as artists! What a genius tool! I'm using it right now.

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-04 21:07:40

At 2 hours ago, SeventhTower wrote: We have all just become that much more efficient as artists! What a genius tool! I'm using it right now.

Ikr; Thanks Jagon!!!!
Also, that buck looks sweet :O

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-04 21:21:13

Totally forgot to vote for you before. Fixed this mistake just now. Thanks for the bump.

I like how you made them look "incorporated" into the shirt. The technique with the color scheme sounds great. I first thought it was all vector art, very clean and crisp. Nice!

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-05 11:21:59

At 9 days ago, jagondudo wrote:
At 6 days ago, ZaneZansorrow wrote: NOW that is a good idea, wow......can I borrow the technique? :3
of course by all means! i didn't invent the technique, it's called a "Gamut Mask"

Now that's an interesting website *bookmark!*. I gotta remember to try these out when I get the chance to :D

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-05 11:55:05

At 21 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: meanwhile...buried in the snow..

i really like this but i just cant work out what the orange things at the bottom are...

are they feet?... no... they have little while pearl like eyes?... are they teeth?... with one missing... or some sort of scarf... or two people!?.... please put my creative mind at rest!

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-07 11:10:57

At 1 day ago, LegolaSS wrote: i really like this but i just cant work out what the orange things at the bottom are...

are they feet?... no... they have little while pearl like eyes?... are they teeth?... with one missing... or some sort of scarf... or two people!?.... please put my creative mind at rest!

hehe i shouldn't give it away since thats kind of what a painting should do but what the hey...its an orange monster in there, pearly eyes poking out and some teeth visible with one missing , the entire mound is its body but you can't see it...the idea is to have your mind think about what it might look like :)

meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-07 11:18:41

At 7 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote:
meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality

It looks a bit like she is flying but other than that it's great!

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-07 11:19:22

At 6 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote: its an orange monster in there, pearly eyes poking out and some teeth visible with one missing , the entire mound is its body but you can't see it...the idea is to have your mind think about what it might look like :)

i really like it, i was just really confused, seen as there is a tree sticking out of his body :S... the background and deer are aweso!...

meanwhile in rio...

another lovely piece to add to your collection :D... not my favourite but love the idea and mood its creating!

BBS Signature

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-07 14:14:59

At 3 hours ago, jagondudo wrote: meanwhile in rio...

Gorgeous. You might want darker shadows under the feet, so she'll seem less floaty.

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-03-10 07:39:14

At 2 days ago, Lundsfryd wrote:
At 7 minutes ago, jagondudo wrote:
meanwhile in rio...

Higher Quality
It looks a bit like she is flying but other than that it's great!

right, i think the glowy sand does that sometimes but thanks for the fix
sometimes i get caught up trying to render it realistically when sometimes you have to take some liberties in what looks more convincing :)

one for the weekend

"the sleeper"

To My Fellow Artists!

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-06-25 23:38:24

blargh! i've been missing for a while boohoo
swamped with finishing up my masters wee plus i got a mini animating job and trying to take part in the new NATA competition, i've so far made it to the intermediate round by sheer luck and generosity

a wee preview: (been trying to improve my animating)

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/dde69f8b9280e7afc76c2730 f1fa0711

and some arts:

Response to To My Fellow Artists! 2012-06-25 23:39:28

forgot the arts, shit!

To My Fellow Artists!