00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa

3,631 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-01 17:53:24

Yep, bigger and meaner and we do nothing about it just because ACTA is in Europe and Newgrunds is in USA, but are all newgrounders only from US ?
Well, was designed in US and Japan, so, is also NG responsibility to react somehow.

For whoever doesn't know what ACTA is, here, have some links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counte rfeiting_Trade_Agreement
"the draft agreement would also set up an international agency that could force Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to provide information about subscribers suspected of copyright infringers without a warrant."

According to a Romanian blogger, there are at least 5 big problems with it:
1 - general monitoring of the activities of Internet users and systematic recording of data.
2 - Internet users can be disconnected by your ISP, based on simple assumptions of rights holders, without trial, without the right to defense.
3 - Criminal penalties for economic "indirect" advantages. What's that indirect economic advantage? A banner exchange?
4 - ACTA was negotiated infringing the basic rules of transparency.
5 - Anyone who would like to start a new business on the Internet, should think of specific or indirect commercial advantage even by illegal use of his works by users/ strangers.

OPINION on the compatibility of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) with the European Convention on Human Rights & the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights - by Douwe Korff Professor of International law London Metropolitan University London (UK) & Ian Brown Senior Research Fellow Oxford Internet Institute University of Oxford (UK).

Sign petition against ACTA to the EU Parliament on avaaz.org.
If by any chance you are Romanian, you can also sign this petition.

Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-01 18:11:59

Is there a reason this is here and not in General?

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-01 19:09:29

Yes, there are two reasons for that.
1 - The new law is threatening music creation more than you can realize at first.
2 - General forum is too retarded and troll dominated.

More about 1
So, what is a counterfeit product ? is only the original the original ?
This means, no more cover versions, no more remixes, no more "quoting"/ paraphrasing/ parodying or even creating a meme out of a copyrighted material. More to that, no more home made recordings/ youtube video/ NG song of you playing classical music that is not yet public domain (let's say Gershwin).
More to that, no more jazz standards, no more VG remixes/ covers, heck, no more VG as a music genre here on NG.
BUT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MUSIC...

Heck, no more quoting the guitar riff from "Smoke On The Water" as a rock anthem.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-01 19:17:59

Just to add something really annoying:
What is a " indirect commercial advantage" ?
If you have a recording studio and make a demo song, is that illegal now ? how about making a voice acting demo and impersonating "Mario" which is a copyrighted character ? Would you go to jail for that just because some incompetent politician signet that law ?

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-01 19:29:47

Man that is so terrible , stupid politicians and their stupid ideology.

Signing , i don't know if i can help if im from another country.

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 06:15:59

The agreement text in English in PDF format.
Too much "Legalese" for simple people to understand.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 08:24:44

Christ, for how much long are they going to bother us with such distorted censorship wankery?
I can't believe Japan signed this agreement too... Way to a globalized dystopia.
Signed. No regrets against ignorance.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 09:14:43

oh great, more suits who know what's best for me. let's sign that shit

BBS Signature

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 09:15:26

At 2/2/12 08:24 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: Christ, for how much long are they going to bother us with such distorted censorship wankery?
I can't believe Japan signed this agreement too... Way to a globalized dystopia.
Signed. No regrets against ignorance.

The MPAA and it's allies are quite powerful around the world. Just another example of lobbyists shutting down the voice of regular people with truckloads of money.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 09:48:50

What the fuck is this doing on the Audio forum?? ACTA already passed apparently btw.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 10:59:45

At 2/2/12 09:48 AM, Trampzy wrote: What the fuck is this doing on the Audio forum?? ACTA already passed apparently btw.

That doesn't mean the fight against it shouldn't stop.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 11:55:50

At 2/2/12 10:59 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 2/2/12 09:48 AM, Trampzy wrote: What the fuck is this doing on the Audio forum?? ACTA already passed apparently btw.
That doesn't mean the fight against it shouldn't stop.

Shh!!! They're watching us. Love your government: keep calm and carry on.

Seriously, though, don't you think it's a little too coincidental that the governments of the world (esp. Europe and America) are passing bills that would allow them to censor the internet, right around the same time that people are expressing discontent with their leadership? Internet monitoring and censorship, the NDAA provision allowing Americans to be jailed without trial, the convenience of claiming "public disturbance" to arrest Occupiers (which happens to simultaneously revoke our rights, in America, at least, to peacefully assemble and protest).

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 12:05:32

At 2/2/12 11:55 AM, RampantMusik wrote: stuff

How dare you question Our Benefactors?!
Now reconsider and apologize, and never do it again.

or we'll kill you trololololol

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 12:23:17

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-02 13:22:37

Signed and posted it around to some fellows.

BBS Signature

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-03 11:53:53

Don't get me wrong. I am against piracy. I think people should be paid for their work.
The problem is that with ACTA and SOPA, piracy will still go on, the artists will still get pirated and record labels will still have a reason NOT to pay fair the artists.
The only thing that ACTA and SOPA will do is censorship. They will invade your privacy, they will legally have the right to access and distribute your personal data without your consent, heck, without your knowledge.
They will censorship all forms of inspired art, and that is all art, because everybody based their art on previous works or systems.

If somebody will copyright the tonal system we will not be able to write music at all, just to push things to extreme. Illogical, absurd but legally possible.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-03 19:25:57

This doesn't change the problem.
The problem is that a government is ready to give a law that will allow private companies to access your private data, just because of the pressure from those companies under the false reason of a problem that THEY created in the first place.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-04 09:34:00

At 2/3/12 07:25 PM, sorohanro wrote: This doesn't change the problem.
The problem is that a government is ready to give a law that will allow private companies to access your private data, just because of the pressure from those companies under the false reason of a problem that THEY created in the first place.

They won't move a single finger.
We probably have no idea about the damage they'll bring if a law like this manages to pass, but they surely do, and I don't think the whole globe is ready to ruin every economy. They just love to see our reactions. They aren't THAT self-destructive... A law of that caliber would mean catastrophic consequences in any field. People have petitioned, voted, shown their discontent against this "democratic dictatorship" as I like to call it sometimes. Now it's just the waiting game and preparing for the next move.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-04 11:42:08

Good points.
In the end everybody will face the consequences of their actions and we should take responsibility for our actions, publicly.
At least we will not get sick when we look in a mirror.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-04 12:54:36

friend just showed me this, I think it's pretty cool :)

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-05 12:34:48

Well, I see why this kind of legislation can be made.
It's because people let it. I see here on NG almost no reaction of this, no site blackout, no official statement, no musicians outraged, not too many posts in the thread, no community protecting itself.
That means we will probably get the legislation that we deserve for our ignorance and laziness.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-05 13:37:57

At 2/5/12 12:34 PM, sorohanro wrote: Well, I see why this kind of legislation can be made.
It's because people let it. I see here on NG almost no reaction of this, no site blackout, no official statement, no musicians outraged, not too many posts in the thread, no community protecting itself.
That means we will probably get the legislation that we deserve for our ignorance and laziness.

Mmm, and what would all that wonderful stuff do for us? Unlike the previous bills, this is something that's signed and kicked out the door already. While the European members among us can fight against it, the methods used against SOPA and PIPA would be meaningless.

Don't confuse laziness with the conservation of energy for the shit to come. Site blackouts, official statements and the like are a waste of time and energy on something like this - a different approach would be necessary, and it would need to be an internationally shared agenda. It's one that also hasn't been devised yet - if anyone knows how to unite to global population that's affected by this then I'll join that band wagon.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-05 13:56:55

At 2/5/12 01:37 PM, Gario wrote: if anyone knows how to unite to global population that's affected by this then I'll join that band wagon.

Well, first to react somehow, a bit more than just ignore and continue googleing for "funny cats" pictures.
Second, a petition online or offline can be a solution. There is a law that if a big number of people petition UE for something, they must apply that. I should research more on that and link to the law & info.

Right now I'm in Norway, so it's a bit hard for me to get out and protest in Romania about this. However, I'm working in education and culture field, so, maybe I can get more influential people to react against.

Doing nothing just because you don't know for sure if you succeed is a quite bad decision.

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-05 23:33:49

Row, row, fight da powah!

No, seriously... I'm in Canada, doesn't effect me at all..

No, actual seriously, if I can sign I will... Because we all know if stuff like this passes elsewhere than China, the rest of the world will no doubt follow suit.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Acta, The Big Brother Of Sopa 2012-02-08 06:36:01

At 2 days ago, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Row, row, fight da powah!

No, seriously... I'm in Canada, doesn't effect me at all..

No, actual seriously, if I can sign I will... Because we all know if stuff like this passes elsewhere than China, the rest of the world will no doubt follow suit.

The agreement was signed on 1 October 2011 by Australia, Canada, Japan, ... that's why you have there the bill C-11.

Well the good news is that Check Republic suspended the treaty, Poland seems to suspend it also under street protests and it's going to be a BIG street protest in Romania too.