00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blackout

62,785 Views | 249 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:07:21

At 1/18/12 12:05 AM, BSTHEDOG wrote:
At 1/18/12 12:01 AM, Chumbawamba wrote: Bye bye Wikipedia!
WHAT!!! I HAVE SO MUCH ESSAYS THAT I NEED TO COPY AND PASTE!!

That's all right dude, you can just use a non-English language Wiki article, just have to learn the language first.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:30:36

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58 8228 tom im doing my part to get people against SOPA and PIPA , im ready and willing to protest along side all of us , you have my full support

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:32:52

Great news and excellent political move Tom. I truly hope that Newgrounds is represented accurately in the history of the interbuttZz for it's efforts against censorship and copyright laws.

Newgrounds is the one website that I tell my friends is cool NOT just because of the hilarious creative content (although there's a lot of that) but, for the philosophical actions that the Administrators have made over the years.

I mostly blab to them about how Newgrounds has not sold out to larger corporations like Fox/Ebaums although it's a competitive top 500 (100?) website and could probably use that cash to hire a larger team to produce projects in a faster time (lol, layout redesign).

Additionally, I speak to them about the concept underlying Newgrounds. The "everything, by everyone" concept that is the sites slogan. The slogan represents an effort in producing quality media together that was entirely made by independent artists. Everyone helps everyone out with producing a truly independent piece web content. By doing this the creators by-pass any copyright legal issues and at the same time give exposure to the artists that made it. And in an ideal world this exposure would lead to the artist obtaining financially sustaining jobs. Jobs that are ultimately their creative passion (lolcock jokes).

By embracing this blackout situation you've added another reason to my list, give Newgrounds more street-cred, and give all of us another reason to continue supporting Newgrounds!

SO Thanks Tom!

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:41:04

aaand Google has started

Blackout

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:42:00

So... SOPA is pretty much the big bully of the internet playground?

Woah woah woah, Woah. why are you reading this?

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:43:31

At 1/17/12 05:19 PM, Luis wrote: Do we have the day off tmrw tom

Holy Fuck Luis I don't think I laughed so hard ever.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:43:54

Tom: I think you're making a very brave, courageous, and sensible move. I know people will gripe, complain, and moan about the blackout, but the essential challenge to our liberties presented by SOPA is monumentally more important to me and everyone else who needs the internet for information than whether or not web-surfing is less easy for a day.

The fact is that if SOPA comes into effect without opposition, this will be the case for every website that tries to innovate, be it with flash or information.

It feels like we're making history.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:47:36

I'm hoping that the government will panick and give up on SOPA because of the Blackout. Millions...no, billions of people will be upset by the blackout, and they will ultimately turn against SOPA for the sake of their beloved sites.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:52:17

At 1/18/12 12:41 AM, Drony wrote: aaand Google has started

Yup so has wikipedia. Use google cache if anyone needs to see a site.

Blackout

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 00:53:35

Mercator is gonna save us all a whole bunch of trouble.

Blackout

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:04:26

I support websites blacking out. I'm glad so many are taking a stand and letting their voices be heard. Newgrounds ia a popular site as well, so a few people should send a message to their Congressmen.

I did so already. Not that my words alone will do any good. But it collects to the ones who sent messages already. Enough voices say something, they have more pressure on them to listen.

The Internet is uniting for a common enemy. The Internet is a culture, in the end. What's beautiful is how we are all far away, and yet we can be united. Consideration is going on to destroy that? This should not be stand for.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:10:25

Stand tall and proud, this is a good move Tom. Actually you guys should just stand, walk around, and actually move...seriously...y'all spend far too much time on the internet anyway.

Your legs...oh god, your poor, blubbery things that were once legs.

Just walk away...

Blackout

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:26:00

the SOPA holocaust has begun.

Blackout

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:31:20

At 1/18/12 12:52 AM, SolidMario7 wrote:

I'm surprised Urban Dictionary is on this.

Blackout

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:38:28

SOPAgrounds, anyone?

Find me on Facebook!

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:44:07

Google already went black.

Though it kind of looks like the protest against opposing gay marriage, so...

CLARITY IN YOUR PROTESTS!

It matters. :)

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 01:49:28

At 1/17/12 05:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: To answer the question everyone has been asking, YES, we are going to participate in the Internet blackout tomorrow in protest of SOPA / PIPA.

Read my SOPA post for more info about how SOPA would impact Newgrounds. While the bill has faced recent setbacks, it is still a looming threat to the Internet, as is PIPA.

We need to make it clear that we will not tolerate anything that establishes government censorship of the Internet, no matter what the intentions.

SOPA is bullshit, it needs to be immediately destroyed.
Just the fact that websites can be taken down because of just one small picture WITHOUT FAIR TRIAL is a good example of how much its BS and violates our constitutional rights.

DOWN WITH SOPA!! BLACKOUT IN PROTEST

Blackout

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 02:02:31

A 1 day blackout isn't going to affect anything.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 02:10:41

Additionally you should blackout our level icon image for a longer period of time than just a day

Do ITTTTTTT

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 02:19:25

2 hours and 20 minutes late so far.....

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 02:39:12

I can't believe the people behind SOPA/PIPA don't see the negative aftermath of this decision if this stupid bill comes to pass.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 03:15:18

At 1/18/12 12:52 AM, SolidMario7 wrote:

They actually should use a huge photo of Jimmy Wales and it should say "imagine a world without personal appeals"

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 03:50:53

At 1/17/12 08:02 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:15 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/17/12 05:10 PM, Bahamut wrote: Is this the WHOLE site going down or just front page as you previously stated?
Really just the front page, so you can still find the rest if you come in from behind.
lol, and for my next trick I will walk on a bed of hot coals, with my sneakers on.

Haha, nice one MindChamber. Seriously Tom, shut the whole site down, 8AM-Midnight. No back doors, no exceptions, just a message to the people. I'm extremely happy you're joining at all, but it's so simple to do it right, just go the extra mile.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 03:56:46

I'm attempting to keep a small log of information as the day progresses, to see which sites will be participating in the blackout that aren't at this moment. The day is still quite early, so hopefully we will see more participants as everything unfolds.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 04:01:18

At 1/18/12 02:19 AM, Ninja-Seagull wrote: 2 hours and 20 minutes late so far.....

Read the damn post, it gos from 8 A.M. - 8P.M.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 04:06:50

I'm glad NG is participating!

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 04:20:34

At 1/18/12 02:02 AM, Jin wrote: A 1 day blackout isn't going to affect anything.

This isnt just Newgrounds. Its the whole fucking internet. Newgounds, Bulbpedia, Wikipedia, Reddit, Deviantart.... fucking everything is going down, even google is going dark.
Here is the list of websites going down.

BBS Signature

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 04:46:10

At 1/18/12 04:20 AM, Rsrdaman wrote: This isnt just Newgrounds. Its the whole fucking internet. Newgounds, Bulbpedia, Wikipedia, Reddit, Deviantart.... fucking everything is going down, even google is going dark.
Here is the list of websites going down.

My point still stands.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 04:55:33

Something of this magnitude is surely going to bring some fucking media attention to the issue and help make us internet denizens bloody well known about what we stand for.

Response to Blackout 2012-01-18 05:28:35

At 1/18/12 04:46 AM, Jin wrote:
My point still stands.

I recommend you check CNN or MSNBC, or whatever major media site you're comfortable with hearing the news from, but they're now finally covering these bills, which they've been avoiding until this point. In fact, this is such a big deal that they're compelled to cover it despite the fact that their parent companies' interests all lie with the bills passing. It's not pointless. It's finally gotten the attention of the mainstream media, and it's heavily affecting the bills' support in government.