00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why Women Aren't Funny

3,903 Views | 53 Replies

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 09:31:58

My favourite female comedian is Jo Brand, I love how most of her material is aimed not at taking the piss out of men, but at her body and personality. Some women can be pretty damn funny.

That said, I don't get Miranda. At all.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 09:34:33

Where do you live where women bitch about there not being many female comedians?

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 11:45:36

At 1/2/12 05:09 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: My premise is that stand-up routines are about filth, and plenty of it, it's what the punters want.

I raise you one Bill Cosby. Stand up routines don't need to be about filth at all. It's just that filth is easily exploitable and subsequently, people will laugh at it. That doesn't make it necessarily funnier than a well done joke about something clean. I mention Bill Cosby because he's an excellent example of this.

At 1/2/12 06:05 AM, BananasFoster wrote: but then criticizes women for making jokes regarding womens' bodily functions. I don't understand this...

I don't think OP is trying to say that women can't joke about female bodily functions, but rather, that many female comedians focus almost entirely on them in their routines. Yes, that is one life experience that women have and can talk about, but that's hardly the only experience they've ever had. These days, there are so many things in a woman's life that aren't babies, periods, and being a housewife to which both men and women can relate.

The problem is that there are only so many things you can say about bodily functions, so anything you say about periods, for example, has most likely already been said. The only way to really make these things funny is by placing them in the context of something else. Nobody wants to hear a fifteen minute spiel on cramps and tampons because we've already heard it.

Yet many female comedians think this is the only thing about which they can be funny and think this is the biggest problem with them. They seem to be under the impression that they are the sum of their gender traits, and that seriously compromises the quality of their humor.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 11:47:23

At 1/2/12 11:45 AM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: Yet many female comedians think this is the only thing about which they can be funny and think this is the biggest problem with them.

and I* think this is the biggest problem with them.

Lo siento.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 12:24:00

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: Have you ever heard a funny dead baby joke?

Yes, I have. It was quite lulzy.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 12:27:05

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: I'm sick of hearing women bitch and moan that there aren't many females in stand-up. Lets face it, women aren't genetically gifted with being funny. There are three reasons for this:

1) Men don't find humor in women attractive. There is no need for a woman to make a man laugh. Women often comment on a man's humor when they're courting the man, women never have their humor commented on.

If a man can't make a woman laugh, he's out of the gene pool.

2) Women can't afford to be funny: they have the important task of having babies. Women aren't equipped to joke about such serious matters.

Have you ever heard a funny dead baby joke? I rest my case.

3) Men don't want to be laughed at. They realize women need to be attracted to them in order to produce babies, so "female humor"- geared towards laughing at men- is not something that women feel the need to develop.

Discuss.

You are a sexist pig. And it shows when you think women are only good for sex. Women are good for so many things. And I love it when a women can make me laugh, or when they laugh at me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 12:41:19

Some women are and some aren't.

Basically it's all about opinion. Some men don't like women who joke around, and some don't find their jokes funny, but some do love that shit.

But yeah generally women are horrible when it comes to humor.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 13:03:53

All I know is when I saw Kathy Griffin's "Tired Hooker" a while back I laughed my ass off, and there was quite a bit of femmy humour (as mentioned earlier), which normally I'm not into. For instance, if one of my female co-workers or friends wanted to be funny and started ranting about getting their vagina waxed, I'd probably push her into traffic. When Kathy Griffin does it, however, it's fucking hilarious. I think it's more about delivery, a concept a lot of women, sadly, haven't grasped. Sarah Silverman's pretty funny I guess.

domestic violence can be funny too!

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 13:23:04

Sure is 17th century in here.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 13:24:49

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: I'm sick of hearing women bitch and moan that there aren't many females in stand-up. Lets face it, women aren't genetically gifted with being funny.

Actually, all the lesbian women I've seen do stand-up seem to be very funny.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 13:38:25

what are you talking about? Sarah Silverman is barrels of laugh and she's attractive too

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 13:53:05

I thought it was just because they're fucking bizarre. Their emotions and thoughts are so different from men that I don't see how we're supposed to be on the same page of humor.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 14:04:49

At 1/2/12 02:21 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote: Lets face it, women aren't genetically gifted with being funny. There are three reasons for this:

Hahaha. Oh boy, I'm just dying to hear what you have to say about this.

1) Men don't find humor in women attractive. There is no need for a woman to make a man laugh. Women often comment on a man's humor when they're courting the man, women never have their humor commented on.

Oh, okay. So, this topic should be about how women aren't funny when "courting", because all a man cares about is appearance and not personality. That makes sense, I suppose. But, this doesn't make women "genetically" hindered from being funny (lol). It just makes us unfunny to you personally when you are turned down. Both genders find their significant other humorous in most cases.

2) Women can't afford to be funny: they have the important task of having babies. Women aren't equipped to joke about such serious matters.

Lmao.

Haha, what does this have to do with anything?

3) Men don't want to be laughed at. They realize women need to be attracted to them in order to produce babies, so "female humor"- geared towards laughing at men- is not something that women feel the need to develop.

"Female humor" is generally more intellectual and ironic - which is probably why you don't get it, and subsequently assume women are never funny.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 14:39:14

At 1/2/12 02:26 AM, Natick wrote: Kathy Griffin, Joan Rivers, Sarah Silverman, Lucielle Ball...

I hate Sarah Silverman. She's using this stupid shtick about looking innocent and talking about doodie too much. I wish Christopher Hitchens specifically mocked her.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 14:40:33

At 1/2/12 02:10 PM, JoeMation wrote: I haven't heard just about any using intellectual or ironic jokes. Nice try, though.

Oh, sorry. In every other part of the world.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 14:45:53

If a man and woman cannot make each other laugh then they may as well kill themselves.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 14:52:47

I have seen women laugh at those jokes.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 15:22:44

Women instinct is based on giving birth!

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 15:27:46

I never thought about this before. I don't believe that women are not funny. I know many girls who are funny then boys........

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 15:53:59

At 1/2/12 05:31 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 1/2/12 05:09 AM, JarlaxleArtemis wrote:
Now come on Gags. How many jokes do you find funny about stillbirth, or childbirth, or pregnancy? Is there anything less funny than someone carping on about their unborn baby? (Don't pretend to not know what I'm talking about here).
I don't actually know what you're talking about because you're wording everything anally, and I'm already expressed my thoughts on women who do routines based on female things.

Wow, negative points there, Gagsy. Seriously, buck up.

In any case, women can be funny, they don't have to be, but they DO have to think what the man's saying is funny, or else it just doesn't go as smoothly. I agree about the whole 'women comedians' thing, where they attempt to be exclusive when it's unnecessary and alienates them from a larger audience.

THEN there are female comedians who aren't funny at all. Let's look at Margaret Cho. Her jokes are usually female orientated smut jokes with punch lines that are ok, because they usually do have a good point, but her delivery is absolutely shit. She also tends to drag out a punch line for far too long to where it becomes annoying (MILK THAT BITCH FOR ALL IT'S WORTH MARGE!).

This happens to be my issue with most female comedians who do stand up: They have no idea how to deliver. It's not the content of the jokes, "Oh, I had my period the other day," no, I totally understand the content and it could be funny, but they stand up there in this awkward fashion and deliver like they're in labor (haha, get it?). There are a lot of male comedians who do the same thing, it just happens to be that the males appear to have more comedians who can deliver in stand up.

So, there are plenty of funny women, but in Stand Up Comedy, they apparently need work or they just need to nominate better comedians to be the face of female stand up.

Sarah Silverman is not funny. BTW this is all just my opinion, you little twerps.

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 16:10:01

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-02 16:46:03

Women that do stand up arent that funny.
But there are women that can be funny, I can be funny sorta but its whatever.

Follow my Artstigram

BBS Signature

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-03 11:07:43

I don't see a lot of female comedians, or at least not ones that I like. I have seen some stuff by Wanda Sykes, and she's pretty good, probably the best female comedian out there. Never saw stuff by Joan Rivers, in fact, I didn't think I even knew she was a comedian until this thread. Even her Comedy Central roast didn't seem to mention that. I think Hitchens was being sexist. Then again, he wasn't very funny himself.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Why Women Aren't Funny 2012-01-03 13:53:13

The next time you watch your favorite comedy show, doesn't matter which show, might want to check who wrote it. Because its probably a woman. Nuff said.