00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mspa Crew

54,766 Views | 259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-02-16 13:13:57

At 2/16/13 08:18 AM, Lunaful wrote: The Condesce is bringing the pain.... Also Jade :D

grimdark jade. that is a thing i never expected to happen.
also, hello, homestucks of newgrounds. found this completely on accident-by searching "i feel so caucasian".

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-02-25 01:48:04

Just started into Act 5 tonight (good God I have put off reading this for far too long). I will say this for certain: Gamzee is my favorite troll so far. He's just so damn cool and relaxed.

honk

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 18:27:27

For just under about two weeks, almost my entire life has been entralled with the series that is named Homestuck. For the first few days of my enchantment, I spent an upwards of five or more hours each day reading the series. Of course, the time I spent reading it drastically decreased the farther I reached into the story, but my enjoyment with reading it kept increasing. Right now, seeing as I did "finish" it yesterday, some part of me wishes that I would have taken my reading a bit slower than I did. Homestuck was started four years ago, and I have completed all there is in under two weeks. I have a "friend" who has known about it for way longer than me, yet he is still reading Act V Act II. I can remember back towards Halloween when he and another someone were cracking some sort of in-joke with candy corn and Tab; I had no idea what they were on about, but now that I have read all of the mspa adventures, except for Bard's Tale, I can clearly remember that scene and understand about what they were joking.

One question that I have asked myself is on the subject of "Why do I love this series so much?" But before I say that, I must say that I first tried to read it a few months ago, yet lost interest less than fifty pannels into the series. When I look back at those first few panels where we are being introduced to John, I can still visualise the drastically different image I had about Homestuck. When I look at those first few panels again, I can see how different my expectations, which were not very much, about what it was much more clearly - then I start to remember everything I know, and see how wrong I was. My reasoning for reading it this time came when I had heard of its length and told myself that I could read it all in a day. That probably would not be very feasable and I could certainly do it in a weekend if I spent every waking moment of that weekend only reading Homestuck and not doing anything else. Another reason I had a slight interest in starting was that I heard that more and more Homestuck cosplayers had been "invading" into anime conventions. One such podcast that I used to listen to mentioned this often when they were recapping what their convention experience had been like.
With that in mind, I had began to read Problem Sleuth, as I had reached that point in Homestuck. The time that I was reading Problem Sleuth was, actually, two weeks ago to the minute that I am writing this. When I found out that it had almost nothing to do with the plot of Homestuck, I was kind of enraged that the four hours straight I had spent reading it had all been for naught, and decided not to continue. Then Monday came around, and as I wake up at 00:00, I decided to actually start reading.

I was not able to finish the series in the seven hours I had that Monday morning. I had read all the way through to the beggining of Act V, I believe. I had, essentially, "rushed" the story so much that I kept forgetting which characters were named what. Certainly I could remember exactly who they were, but names of places and objects and characters were all still pretty unclear in my head as I had not been around that long. The plot, by that point, I felt was all right. The series I did not exactly think was "The best thing I have ever read," but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

That morning one person whom I know read it told me about hearing someone who read it all within three days. My resolve to actually finish it in less than three if not one came back to me, and I started with ACT V. Finally, I had reached the chapters where we meet the trolls; the only thing about Homestuck I knew before actually reading it. The seemingly main focus of the series which anyone outside of the fandom only notices when they glance in for brief moments of time. I finished the first half of Act V within one day and then the subsequent two were spent finishing up Act V Act II.

By this point, I no longer cared for how fast it takes me to read this series. My entire life and all I could think about by this point was the series. I had not realised it, but by the time I reached the point where Eridan goes insane and starts killing people did I notice that I developed a bond between almost all of the characters. I did not notice it until they died, but, inside, I cared for each and every one of them. (Except maybe Gamzee.) What the characters did, what they felt, what they thought, how they acted - hundreds upon hundreds of such pages with these things included all contributed to my personal relationship with the kids and the trolls. But that is not exactly the reason why I love the series so much - the connection came much more subconciously much later in the series, near the later acts of act VI. Sure, bonds that one may develop with the various characters may contribute to it being a good story, but it's not what exaclty makes it great. It's not what made me, figuratively, fall in love.

I'm splitting this into two parts for the reason that Newgrounds will not let me post even though I am, barely, within the character limit.

Mspa Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 18:30:21

Enter the Post-Scratch Kids. During the beggining of act VI, I cared little for these characters; infact, I had stopped reading Homestuck for a few days because I just did not care all that much about them. When I had reached the Intermissions between these acts, I felt myself being enthralled again only to have to go back and read about what these kids whom I did not care about are doing. But, as with before, the more I read about them the more I bonded with them and their social problems. And that's where I finally realised why I am so captivated with Homestuck as I am.

Occasionally throughout the series I would see thought processes the characters are having about each other, and about their lives, and about what they are doing that are almost identical to the ones that I have had and experienced. I cannot think of any specific examples from earlier, but one I would have is where Jane is messaging Jake about Dirk and thinking to herself how stupid she is for doing it. She is into Jake, yet is still nudging him on towards Dirk and it is almost tearing her apart inside. Have we all not done that at some point? When I was reading throughout that section, I felt somewhat of a smile appear on my face without even trying because I could look at those pages and say, "Yes, I know what this feels like." But then we go deeper into the four-side triangle of all the Post-Scratch Kids and Pre-Scratch Kids as they start dating each other and breaking up with each other and complain/exbound on their various lives, how they feel, their relationships, &c. The entire scene where we had all of the (What is the term? It is used for the passive, Post-Scratch Kids in that it tells of their role where they must wait for the more active Pre-Scratch Kids. I belive it is near Prince or Royalty. In any case, insert it here.) on their respective Quest Beds simply talking to each other. In any other situation, I would not be enthralled by this lengthened scene of nothing but character development. But because it was development in which, I am sure, almost every single reader of Mspa can relate, I was as glued to my seat as I was when I had watched Cascade.

And for that reason, that reason that I can relate to their "struggles" on a personal level, and that I have developed a personal bond beteween each and every character is why, I think, I am in love with this series. It feels weird, to know that your exact same emotions and experiences are shared with many other people - you start to think of it as non-unique and ordinary. That it's no longer special; that you're just another normal person who is almost exactly the same as everyone else no matter what you do, and, because of this, have lost almost all value individually. Maybe this exact thing I am describing is also shared - I cannot know as I only exist within my head. (I also apply this same sentiment to relationships and "love," though that's neither here and here at the same time.)

Now that I have finished reading the series upto this point, I am saddened. Nevertheless, I will give thanks. I will give thanks to the friend who introduced me to Homestuck. I love you, gurl........
This is also a reason why I started reading and possibly one which caused the lessons and trials by our heros stick ever so strongly to me.

Now that my "rant" is over, and I decided to split this into two posts, I will offer some information which one must inform to others or ask when they meet other people who are into Homestuck. That thing is one's favourite characters.
My favourite kid is Jade; my favourite Troll is Vriska. I care little for Jake and Gamzee. I do not exactly "hate" them, but they are among my least favourite.

Damara needs to burn in hell, though.

Mspa Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 19:02:05

At 5/11/13 04:26 PM, Nebula wrote: Arise from your grave!
Jeez, you guys need to post more.

The problem is that people who "like" homestuck don't even read the thing and for people who actually have read it there's nothing much to say other than "oh man I wonder what's going to happen next".

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 19:17:37

At 5/11/13 07:02 PM, Klik wrote:
At 5/11/13 04:26 PM, Nebula wrote: Arise from your grave!
Jeez, you guys need to post more.
The problem is that people who "like" homestuck don't even read the thing and for people who actually have read it there's nothing much to say other than "oh man I wonder what's going to happen next".

Wait, are you seriously saying that there are people, right now, in the Homestuck fandom who do not even read the story? Are you telling me there are people who just look at the pictures of trolls, look up their quirks and memes, and just start making jokes from there without actually reading the series? Or that they skip all of the dialogue and Pesterchums? I have not skipped a single thing in the series, except maybe the rap battles for which I did not care, and find this offensive.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 19:51:38

At 5/11/13 07:17 PM, Letiger wrote: I have not skipped a single thing in the series, except maybe the rap battles for which I did not care, and find this offensive.

Go look at some users on the site with homestuck icons and there's a 50/50 chance they haven't read the comic, possibly more.

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 20:30:54

At 5/11/13 07:51 PM, Klik wrote:
At 5/11/13 07:17 PM, Letiger wrote: I have not skipped a single thing in the series, except maybe the rap battles for which I did not care, and find this offensive.
Go look at some users on the site with homestuck icons and there's a 50/50 chance they haven't read the comic, possibly more.

Does this also mean that there is a good chance that the majority of people that talk/post/cosplay Homestuck have not read it at all/much, or is that only confined to half of the people in this forum? On a side-note, I would like a Homestuck signature, but I have nowhere near the photoshop skills to make one myself. Did you make yours or must I request one on the Newgrounds signature crew (which ignored my last request for a Koishi siganture.)

How can any of these people not bother to read it? Is it the length that is intimidating? The length should mean nothing if you legitimately enjoy the series.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-11 21:12:51

At 5/11/13 08:30 PM, Letiger wrote: How can any of these people not bother to read it? Is it the length that is intimidating?

Basically this, they just don't care enough to read it, what really bugs me is that they act like complete faggots with reaction images and the sort and making people who actually have read it look bad.

On a side-note, I would like a Homestuck signature, but I have nowhere near the photoshop skills to make one myself. Did you make yours or must I request one on the Newgrounds signature crew (which ignored my last request for a Koishi siganture.)

I made a majority of the sigs from a tumblr user's drawing of the trolls. Here's a link to all of the sigs I cropped.

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-12 06:01:28

At 5/11/13 09:12 PM, Klik wrote:
At 5/11/13 08:30 PM, Letiger wrote: How can any of these people not bother to read it? Is it the length that is intimidating?
Basically this, they just don't care enough to read it, what really bugs me is that they act like complete faggots with reaction images and the sort and making people who actually have read it look bad.

Since I started less than two weeks ago and the majority of everything I have done in relation to Homestuck is, well, read it, I cannot say that I have ever seen much of these people. I have seen some reaction images, but I do not think they are that bad. But hey, it cannot be wrose than myself fondly regarding all of the memes, all of them, that pop up throughout the series and blantantly shouting them whenever I get the chance. If I do get the chance to successfully interject one into my text, it feels like a miracle.
You see how bad I am?

On a side-note, I would like a Homestuck signature, but I have nowhere near the photoshop skills to make one myself. Did you make yours or must I request one on the Newgrounds signature crew (which ignored my last request for a Koishi siganture.)
I made a majority of the sigs from a tumblr user's drawing of the trolls. Here's a link to all of the sigs I cropped.

I am just going to swipe that Feferi from there, thank you.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-12 14:32:15

At 5/12/13 02:22 PM, littlegonkyboy wrote: hey guys, i finished reading Homestuck for the moment (you know...cough hiatus cough), and it was pretty cool, but it wasn't so complicated like many people said.
ps= there's one thing that bothered me aniway... lack of Nepeta...... NEPETA NEPETA NEPETA MOAR NEPETA.
joking, i like her but i don't think she's an important character.. for the moment

I find most of the complexities that occur throughout the series are, largely, in acts 3 to the end of 5 where it deals heavily with the time travel shenannigans that we have, hopefully, grown to love. After act 6, I am not sure if it is because I am simply used to tracking the plot or because it is less at play than before, but the plot becomes much more "linear" and easy to understand. Maybe I should reread those acts again with the knowledge I have now because I hardly remember the transistion from future Dave to Davesprite and from doomed, dead John from Terezi to the John we have now, but I am far too lazy for that.

And no, she is not that much of an important character. Gamzee is the most important character in Homstuck. No, really, do you not see all the help he has given Caliborn despite being pumped full of lead?

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-13 02:54:46

At 5/12/13 03:06 PM, littlegonkyboy wrote: yeah, i know.. some people understand the plot more easier than others, i hadn't had difficulties but.. if you want to reread it it's your choice, i'm not planning to reread it.. i'm waiting until hiatus finishes.
and for Gamzee... yeah he's the most important character.
ps= what are your favourite characters (troll and humans)?

If you would have read the page prior to this you would have found the answer at the end of my two post tirade about why I am in love with the series, but if I would be allowed to expound on why I love the characters that I do, then I will do it here; though I do not believe there will be much to tell since favourite characters are gained mostly on looks first and personality second.

Of the kids my favourite would have to be Jade, and of the Trolls my favourite is Vriska. Though I have Feferi as my avatar and signature, there was already someone posting in this thread with a Vriska signature, so I decided not to take that one from Klik as well.

For the newer kids my favourite would have to be either Dirk or Jane (they are equal), and my favourite new troll would then be Meenah. And I cannot really think of reasons as to why I love these characters so much, so I guess I will just answer the questions on the first page that I did not.

1. What is your favorite adventure? (inb4 this is a stupid and obvious question for everyone)

Homestuck > Problem Sleuth > Jailbreak > Did not read Bards Tale

2. Who is your favorite character?

Vriska

3. Who is your patron troll? ( If you have no idea)

Equis is my patron troll by about a week; if I had been born a week eariler it would have been my sweet, precious Vriska.

4. What is your favorite panel/quote?

[S]Cascade

5. and what is your favorite song from homestuck?

I do not know any of the song names, but that elevator music is nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-13 18:05:03

At 5/13/13 09:06 AM, littlegonkyboy wrote:
1. What is your favorite adventure? (inb4 this is a stupid and obvious question for everyone)
i've only read Homestuck

You should, right this instant, go back and read Problem Sleuth and Jailhouse adventure/break. Seriously, I read those two before I really started reading Homestuck and they've, at least in the first few acts, really enhanced my enjoyment of it - what with all the small references. Now that you are done, I think, you should spend some time doing that. Jailhouse would take you around 30 minutes to and hour, and Problem Sleuth, at least for me, took around four hours.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-05-25 23:24:55

Just got back from the phoenix comic-con. It was tons of fun and plus I got to meet hussie. I was also able to snag a senator lemonsnout and have Hussie sign his anus. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-06-16 16:48:58

It appears as though updates have started again; I'm not used to this. I remember reading for 3+ hours at a time.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2013-07-03 02:04:08

At 1/3/12 03:13 AM, Klik wrote: Hussie will probably not update for the next week in case any of you guys are not aware.

anyway might as well do a few questions to help start discussion in the thread in light of the lack of new pages.
1. What is your favorite adventure?
3. Who is your patron troll?

My answers:
1. HOMESTUCK.
2. Well, i like that guy who likes to use Rifles and GUNS.
3. Duh, Terezi.
4. The panel where KARKAT WAS STABBED! >:)
5. I dunno.

Response to Mspa Crew 2015-04-02 09:33:56 (edited 2015-04-02 09:37:20)

I'm all about some Homestuck, y'all.

I doubt if a lot of you guys are still active, but I think it's a fine idea to bring this ol' boy back.

@Regal

I'd definitely be interested in getting some good theory discussion going on, especially since so much has happened in the story since the last post in this thread.

1. What is your favorite adventure?
3. Who is your patron troll?

1. Hamsteak
2. Karkat :|
3. Eridan. :c
4. BOOYEAH
5. I'm kind of sketchy on this one. Probably Midnight Crew.

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2015-04-02 17:23:02

hey fagets, i'm the guy that Alexander was talking about.
I'm the sexiest pussy master on the forums.

Mspa Crew

I suck at drawing and I hate the fuckin' Eagles.

BBS Signature

Response to Mspa Crew 2019-03-29 01:52:14 (edited 2019-03-29 01:52:34)

Post or link your art!

[1] - [2]

Response to Mspa Crew 2019-04-12 09:09:12

One day away from 4/13. I know this topic hasn't seen action in years but do any of you think we'll get anything?

What are your predictions for 4/13, if any?