00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Steam holiday sale 2011

17,614 Views | 304 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 14:52:04

yesterday I got realm of the diggle gods, braid, SFIV, and the witcher: enhanced edition. today I got EYE: divine cybermancy, limbo, and fable the lost chapters. all this was equal to less than $20. god, I love steam. by the way, it's not on the front page but EYE is on sale for 75% off right now

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 15:25:57

Skyrim is still in the top 10 games and it doesn't even have a sale..awesome.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 19:16:29

Rise of the Immortals is one of the ones with a mission today, 10 assists, from what I have read it is a DOTA like game and as I recall, I am bad at these games, 10 assists is pretty hard for me I think.

The DEFCON one is pretty easy though, if you nuke near your own city in a 1 player game.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 19:23:42

Rise of the Immortals is a terrible game with terrible servers.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 19:27:51

At 12/22/11 07:23 PM, Oliver wrote: Rise of the Immortals is a terrible game with terrible servers.

Yeah, I get that from not being able to register, lol, from what I read on the Steam forums though, the achivement can be gotten through playing bot matchs, so maybe when we can all register, we can join up and try to get the achivement for all of us.

Anyway, anyone need some coupons? I'll trade for TF2 items.

-25% of Valve
-33% off Dungeon Siege 3
-50% off Nukeclear Dawn

Don't think I'll ever use these, I know some of you probably already have these coupons too.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 19:57:23

At 12/22/11 07:23 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: What about a 50% off coupon for Binding of Isaac? Would you say that's worth some coal?

The thing about Binding of Isaac is that it's a very cheap game anyway, so that fifty percent off doesn't make too much of a difference. I actually bought it today, and it was quite nice to see the Newgrounds logo in the intro. After a bit of playing I felt I wasn't really enjoying it too much. Sure, it was fun, but the controls just felt really cumbersome and the whole thing felt like a flash game moreso than a full retail game. Perhaps I'll play through it and get more into it sometime in the future, but for now I may just leave it be.

For the achievement (which granted me my sixth piece of coal), I picked up Swords and Soldiers, thinking that it looked pretty sketchy but was worth a try for such a cheap price. I'm not really sure where I stand on it right now. Yes, it was fun for a very short amount of time, but it just felt a bit shallow. I think the main improvement that could be made is to give more control over troop movement - as when you spawn a soldier they simply walk towards the enemy base, not stopping for anything unless an opposing troop is in the way. I think that being able to control when each one walks and such would add another layer to tactics, allowing you to have the ability to time specific pushes on the enemy base more than others, or to hide deathstacks behind a supposedly weak front line in order to shock enemies whom are making advances on your own.

Now, to try to convince myself not to buy any more games...

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-22 23:39:11

At 12/22/11 07:57 PM, EmmDubya wrote: The thing about Binding of Isaac is that it's a very cheap game anyway, so that fifty percent off doesn't make too much of a difference. I actually bought it today, and it was quite nice to see the Newgrounds logo in the intro. After a bit of playing I felt I wasn't really enjoying it too much. Sure, it was fun, but the controls just felt really cumbersome and the whole thing felt like a flash game moreso than a full retail game. Perhaps I'll play through it and get more into it sometime in the future, but for now I may just leave it be.

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of The Binding of Issac due to it being about the only game my computer run in it's melted graphics card state. The randomisation of levels and loot can really swing the game's difficulty and it's a bit twatty in that regard. It's got a great aesthetic to it, all the guts and slime presented in a way I know my 10 year old inner child loves.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 01:00:48

At 12/22/11 11:39 PM, Idocreating wrote: I've been getting a lot of mileage out of The Binding of Issac due to it being about the only game my computer run in it's melted graphics card state.

I personally agree about the aesthetic being nice, it has a nice charm to it that creates an atmosphere that I almost want to use the word 'nice' for, however I think that using a mild-mannered positive word in order to describe the artwork and such in that game would give by far the wrong impression. I like it simply for having slight dungeon crawling elements, but I think that's all that's keeping me interested as far as gameplay goes.

If I feel like a good dungeon crawl, however, I think Dredmor is likely more fitting and as a whole I by far prefer that game. Even if I haven't put too much time into it as of right now, everything about that game seems to give me a good laugh. The most off the wall bit of humour in the whole thing I've seen thus far is the description for gold ingots - something tying the object in with expatriated Latvian natives and crotch-based laser devices. I found that particular thing to perhaps go a bit too far to the point of losing some humour, but things such as occasionally having enemies calling you n'wah, or the constant references to lutefisk just gave me a good laugh. Having a protagonist (or two) with huge eyebrows and having mobs pick up on that fact certainly helps me identify with him myself. :3

Other than the humour, the gameplay itself is immaculate, too, but it's pretty standard roguelike stuff, little to say about it other than that I cannot as of yet see many flaws with it. The one thing I find a bit odd is that occasionally when walking into a room in an otherwise rather quiet level of the dungeon you'll find that dozens have spawned in one big cluster, making progressing through that section near enough impossible. My tendency when that happens is to attempt to flee to the nearest stairwell then keep popping up, healing up in a safe area, then walking back down and in the narrow chokepoint only being attacked by a single enemy at one time, but that takes a very long time and gets pretty tedious when you're doing it fairly regularly.

Anyways, I'm off for the night - 6AM and no sleep makes EmmDubya a dull boy.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 02:17:15

I got Saints Row: The Third today, it's still downloading and I'm excited to play it.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 02:26:58

At 12/23/11 02:17 AM, CamerontheConqueror wrote: I got Saints Row: The Third today, it's still downloading and I'm excited to play it.

Great, I hope you enjoy it, it's pretty good but it's missing things that Saints Row 2 had but eitherway, it's still a fun game in my opinion.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 13:45:15

Another day comes in and along with that are more deals and achievements. The main one that stands out to me is Audiosurf, a game I had off of Steam a long time ago that I haven't touched in probably over a year. It's being sold for only one pound fifty in the UK, and I'm considering buying it, especially as another of today's achievements is for it. In a similar situation is EYE: Divine Cybermancy, a game that I remember looking up after reading a few good things about a while back but never going ahead and buying it. I may go ahead and buy both of them, however I've bought another five or so games just since I promised myself not to buy more. Both definitely seem worth it.

Also, there's an achievement for making a trade. Anybody want to trade coal or something in order to gain it? :3

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 13:48:40

I would gladly trade with someone but after that award became available no one can view their inventory. I got eye yesterday and have had audiosurf for a while. frozen synapse is pretty awesome but I have yet to get it.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 14:01:27

I bought E.Y.E. Actually a pretty good deal here in the UK coming in at £1.24. I'll trade one coal for a coal, but it might have to be later on or tomorrow. The steam trading servers are hammered right now.

UNCLE///

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 15:01:37

Steam seems to be having some issues. I've heard reports of people not being able to see their trade items, slow downs, and crashes.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 15:25:44

I have codes for 25% off a Valve game or an Atari game. Looking for someone to trade with to get that achievement. I'll take anything in exchange for either code.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 16:33:33

What, a qualifying achievement for something that I actually own?
What, a 503 Error?

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 17:07:35

Would trading coal for coal work to get the trading achievement? If so anyone wanna do it with me? My steam is in my sig.

Steam: Chubzilla100 also Check out da You Tubes

I dont think you understand the importance of clicking my sig, and the limitless prizes it holds.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 17:28:07

Bought the games from today I didn't have. I'm off work now so I have more time to get the achievements. Audiosurf's achievement only took me a minute which is much easier than the one the Summer Camp had.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 17:41:38

At 12/23/11 05:07 PM, chubzilla100 wrote: Would trading coal for coal work to get the trading achievement? If so anyone wanna do it with me? My steam is in my sig.

I wondered the same thing, however as of yet there doesn't seem to be a way to find out as right now the inventory system seems to be down. It seems a pretty bad time to put up an achievement relying on trading when the whole trading system's been down since the evening before, even if the whole thing was likely set up to happen before issues with that started.

I purchased Audiosurf and EYE from today's deals, in addition to making the decision to nab Divinity 2 in the deal overlap period with just thirty seconds until the price raised again. I haven't tried to install it yet as I'm yet to begin the other two games and I'm not too convinced it'll run on this current computer, but it looked pretty good and from TotalBiscuit's comments on it the game certainly sounded interesting and I felt compelled to buy it before the price doubled.

I'm doing really bad as to the not ceding my entire wallet towards the almighty Valve.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 17:50:00

Steam just fucked me and Jolly over.
I gave him a shitty Terraria coupon to get the trading achievement.
I got the achievement, but the coupon is still in my inventory, and now all my coal is gone.
His is all gone too, and no Terraria coupon.

Bullshit.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:03:21

I crafted my coal and got torchlight. I already have it, though, so if anyone has something they wanna trade for it let me know.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:10:32

Alright I got my coal back.
Crafted it, got 50% off Bunch of Heroes, but I don't really want that.
Anyone wanna trade something for it?

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:14:59

At 12/23/11 07:10 PM, Squidbit wrote: Alright I got my coal back.
Crafted it, got 50% off Bunch of Heroes, but I don't really want that.
Anyone wanna trade something for it?

Would you take a 50% of Total War: Shogun 2 coupon? If just for the trade achievement, I don't really want Bunch of Heroes either, but I already have Shogun... and I want the extra coal.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:24:54

I have 4 coal, 2 50% off Valve coupons and a 50% of A.R.E.S coupon if anyone wants them.

Never going to use them, so will go 1:1 for another coupon if you want the money off things.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:55:26

I got 66% of Protype if anyone wants to trade for coal. Or try the trade coal for coal thing for the achievement.

I dont think you understand the importance of clicking my sig, and the limitless prizes it holds.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 19:59:22

At 12/23/11 07:55 PM, chubzilla100 wrote: I got 66% of Protype if anyone wants to trade for coal. Or try the trade coal for coal thing for the achievement.

ah man, I could use that :< but I used my coal to make torchlight. maybe you could take my game for the coupon?

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 20:15:48

At 12/23/11 07:59 PM, Death wrote: ah man, I could use that :< but I used my coal to make torchlight. maybe you could take my game for the coupon?

As pleased as I am that someone'd offer a game for my coupon, Torchlight doesn't look like my kinda game, sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 20:16:04

At 12/23/11 07:14 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Would you take a 50% of Total War: Shogun 2 coupon? If just for the trade achievement, I don't really want Bunch of Heroes either, but I already have Shogun... and I want the extra coal.

Sure, my username is just Squidbit.

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 21:18:19

I'm pretty happy now. I decided to just go ahead and go for the final coal rather than maximising my gain by trading and getting two gifts too. Instead I ended up just going ahead and getting the final seventh achievement and as such getting the ability to craft it. I did so, and thanks to that I ended up winning Civilization V. I'm pretty happy about that particular result as I wasn't expecting much at all, and Civ V was the original game on my wishlist and I keep meaning to buy it whenever it ended up getting a decent discount.

I also decided to buy UT:GOTY. I love that game and it was just one pound fifty, so it's definitely worth it in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Steam holiday sale 2011 2011-12-23 21:40:13

At 12/23/11 08:15 PM, chubzilla100 wrote:
At 12/23/11 07:59 PM, Death wrote: ah man, I could use that :< but I used my coal to make torchlight. maybe you could take my game for the coupon?
As pleased as I am that someone'd offer a game for my coupon, Torchlight doesn't look like my kinda game, sorry.

Actauly, scratch that. I'd be happy to trade with you if the offer's still good.

Also to anyone wondering, trading coal for coal does get you the achievement. Tried it out earlier.

BBS Signature