00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TopChop12GD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Complex 3d Tron game

1,383 Views | 0 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Complex 3d Tron game 2011-11-07 01:55:55

Hi

I had this brilliant idea after seeing the light-bike scene from the new Tron movie.
(link I am reffering to so we are all on the same page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn4SUk6p1 fg&feature=related)

So basically I want to create a tron game that allows everything (pretty much) to happen that happens in that clip.
So stuff like:
- Multi-level map
- More than 1 person on each team
- Attacking with ring thingy
- Complex bike destruction (allowing pieces to hit players)

Now while complex I dont think it would be impossible to do.

The light-bikes would normal objects (not very interactable) until hit, once hit they would be come iteractive physics objects. In most cases the damage would be critical, destroying the bike with the pieces de-spawing shortly after.
Even though in some cases the bike would be simply damaged (maybe preventing some functionality). A damage bike would be set of physics objects that can be destroyed far more easily (by bumping into a fall, or making a sharp turn for example).

The idea is that as long as periods of physics-simulation are kept short, the game could still run fairly smoothly.

There are public 3d physic engines for AS3, so we would not have to program that.

If frame-rate remains a big issue, there are probably some more corners that could be cut.

As for graphics, I think things would have to be kept fairly simply. As long as things look a little stylish the game should be fun to play.

Some extra options we have here is let the user set graphics, and/or link graphic rendering to the frame rate (slow frame rate = minimal graphics).

People I could use:

- Someone who is experienced with 3d objects, and how to create them. (building the map, rendering issues)

- Another AS3 programmer, Someone to work on the bulk of the project with me.

- AI Programmer, programming bot AI would definitely be a bit more complicated than usual. I am always up for a challenge, but if someone already knows a lot about that kind of thing, they could probably do it better.

Anyways, I just wanted to make this post to see if there were some people out there interested in this sort of thing.
I am currently working on a different project (2 actually), and wont start experimental work on this for a while.

But if your interested, give me a shout and I'll contact you down the road. : )

-Xj47

You forgot to use code tags, didn't you?