00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ShirotsukiSaku just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

.Fla Filesizes.

559 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

.Fla Filesizes. 2011-09-06 16:39:02

This is an issue I've been having recently with a new project of mine in Flash. I think the filesize may be a bit too large to open with the current version of flash I'm using (I'm still using Flash 8 and the filesize is 262mb) yet when I tried opening the .fla file in Adobe Flash CS5, I had no issues with it loading up and I was able to work in the .fla file nicely unlike when trying to use it on Flash 8 where the image wouldn't load up and I wound suffer from a laggy program that crashed (yet I have not had issues with flash 8 previously like this).

I need to know this just in case if I should upgrade: is it generally easier for larger filesizes to be opened in more recent versions of Flash like CS5 than it is for them to be opened in Flash 8?

Sorry if this is a dumb question and I appreciate the help.

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |

it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature

Response to .Fla Filesizes. 2011-09-06 17:46:39

At 9/6/11 04:53 PM, Alex616 wrote: well yes it is better but the file may of not opened in flash 8. it could have beensaved as a Cs5 file.

Nah, that's not the issue. Flash 8 couldn't open it properly so I put the file on a USB and took it to college to try and open it up with their version of flash, which is CS5.

If you want then yes an upgrade could help get any version that is Cs3 or higher.

Alright, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when I get back from college. If I have the same issue, I'll come back and post in this thread. :)

BBS Signature

Response to .Fla Filesizes. 2011-09-08 08:24:43

At 9/6/11 06:19 PM, Otto wrote: What I find helps is going through all my frames and literally cutting everything off with the highlighter tool that's outside of the frame (unless it's a movie clip I need) and it actually gets my filesize down a noticeable bit

I would try techniques I've read for .fla compression and whatnot, but seriously, flash 8 struggles to open up the file. I'm going to try and upgrade to CS5 or something to see if it opens it with more ease.

Didn't know you animated mecahbloby, that's cool, gonna check this out

I've been doing so for some time but it's nothing too serious. :)

BBS Signature

Response to .Fla Filesizes. 2011-09-08 14:12:45

At 9/8/11 01:55 PM, Otto wrote: Wow hah I see it's a bit late for any sort of remedy then except major surgery of your software. I dunno, maybe try defragging your computer and freeing up some processing power, then trying some more file size reducing options before you go for an expensive upgrade.

I've tried sorting out some virtual memory and stuff like that and I've even had people with more knowledge of computers look into it and they said not much can really be done, so I'm really just relying on an upgrade to hopefully open up the bugger of a file. I'ltry a defragging though and hope for the best, thanks.

I'm glad, it's nice to see people on General enjoy themselves creatively :)
have fun with it man peace out xx

BBS Signature