00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MiyuTheSceneGirl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how would one get a server hosted?

811 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What would be the best way to get an online server hosted (I wouldn't mind a non-static IP, just as long as me and others could network to it), preferably for free...

This might be a strange request, but I would really appreciate any answers...

The only requirements would be these:

basic statistics(what IP did what on what page)
executable privileges

I'd like to at this time thank you for reading all the way down to here, I'm appreciating your reply.

Gordon Freeman is better than Master Chief. I'm sorry, but he just is.

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-08 15:28:15

Also, I'd like to add that currently I'm doing a plan with freehostingcloud (the free plan), but if you guys could recommend a better host, preferably with a total monthly cost of around $10 (USD).

This post also serves as a test to see whether or not the person who supposedly replied actually replied, the post supposedly has another reply, but it doesn't show up...

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-09 14:09:39

Emergency bump due to forum screw up :(

Please, anybody?

Also, while I'm at it, if anybody knows a good host with a low($10 hopefully) monthly payment, that'd be nice, I'm looking at dreamhost, I might switch...

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-09 16:39:52

To get a server hosted (as in gaming server, media server, high traffic website server... etc) you would have to look at virtual private servers (VPS), semi dedicated and dedicated server plans that various web hosts offer.

Bytehost offer a VPS plan for $9.99. The features aren't all that bad.
A dedicated server costs anywhere from around $80 (semi dedicated are a bit less).

Website hosting for the common man is cheaper than all of the above. It comes with more bandwidth and disk space (most hosts now offer unlimited space - with fair use policies) but you have to share your server with quite a few people - which causes latency.

Bytehost offer a shared hosting plan for $6 I think - sorry I keep reffering to them but they're my current web host and I'ev got their website bookmarked. They also offer a free shared hosting service - with quite a few limits.

Any paid hosting worth its salt should of fer error logs and most (almost definatly server hosting plans) offer logs of the people who have visited or connected to your server. If they don't it wouldn't be that hard to set up a database and a script that stores the IP address of all the people to view your website.

A few gaming server softwares also come with their own IP address logging stuff I believe.

Since April 2007.

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-09 17:14:16

bytehosting is down for now...

but I'll check into it a bit later...

BTW, don't get rackspace cloud!

1.5 cents per hour is about 70 dollars a month!

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-13 05:02:40

At 8/9/11 05:14 PM, Dragonslayerk wrote: bytehosting is down for now...

but I'll check into it a bit later...

BTW, don't get rackspace cloud!

1.5 cents per hour is about 70 dollars a month!

Which isn't that much. Seriously, hosting a server is expensive.

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-13 18:14:20

Still, anybody have any great server hosts (preferably with web hosting also), preferably a VPS?

I can't spend too much money, but I can do a $20 monthly payment...

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-13 23:56:23

I use Linode and I had one support ticket over 3 years which was answered quickly, simply a great host.

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-14 00:10:29

At 8/13/11 11:56 PM, RevNation wrote: I use Linode and I had one support ticket over 3 years which was answered quickly, simply a great host.

Ah, thank you!

And now to just play the waiting game, I've got four years before I can do the contract... :(

Oops, just realized I'm on my new account, most of "dragonslayerk"'s posts here are me, so don't worry about the change in username, k?

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-14 02:37:22

At 8/14/11 12:54 AM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/13/11 11:56 PM, RevNation wrote: I use Linode and I had one support ticket over 3 years which was answered quickly, simply a great host.
fwiw it's pretty rude/lame to use a referral link without disclosing it. Your testimonial is bs if you're using it to make money without mentioning it. Provide a link without the referral ID and then include a link separately for your referral and mark it as a referral link.

really, i have to do that... give it a break, i think its obvious the link is a referral link if anyone looked at it and I highly doubt I will make any money... at best it will help me with the server which I use for open-source projects... thanks

and my testimonial isn't BS... so honestly for what it was worth, you should of looked at my other postings before typing such bull.

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-15 08:40:04

I currently host websites for a low rate. I can provide a subdomain or transfer a new domain to the servers I have a Reseller account with.

If you are interested. I do cheap plans starting at $5 a month for:

Plan #1 - Basic Web Hosting - $5 per month

Web Space: 1GB
Bandwidth/Transfer: 12GB
Max FTP Accounts: unlimited
Max Email Accounts: unlimited
Max Email Lists: unlimited
Max Databases: unlimited
Max Sub Domain: unlimited
Max Parked Domains: none(0)
Max Addon Domains: none(0)

PM me if you are interested.

Without money, there is no justice.

BBS Signature

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-15 20:34:42

At 8/15/11 08:40 AM, Josh wrote: I currently host websites for a low rate. I can provide a subdomain or transfer a new domain to the servers I have a Reseller account with.

If you are interested. I do cheap plans starting at $5 a month for:

Plan #1 - Basic Web Hosting - $5 per month

Web Space: 1GB
Bandwidth/Transfer: 12GB
Max FTP Accounts: unlimited
Max Email Accounts: unlimited
Max Email Lists: unlimited
Max Databases: unlimited
Max Sub Domain: unlimited
Max Parked Domains: none(0)
Max Addon Domains: none(0)

PM me if you are interested.

hey you say you can register domains?

What is your company name, I'll check the ICANN registrar for it.

Response to how would one get a server hosted? 2011-08-17 11:40:43

At 8/15/11 08:34 PM, thePalindrome wrote: hey you say you can register domains?

Where does it say I can register domains? If you re-read my post, it says "I provide subdomains or transfer a new domain to the servers".

Please read the post thoroughly before posting.

Without money, there is no justice.

BBS Signature