00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dumbuhgly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Gaming Laptop Help?

1,096 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 15:50:50

Hello, I've been thinking about buying a gaming laptop. And I went to alienwares site and looked through their laptop section and under the operating section of all the specs they all say windows 7, I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's possible to put a different operating system like vista or XP on it.
To be more specific the m17x http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-
r3/pd.aspx

They said I could become anything so I became everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 16:16:42

you can only choose from different versions of windows 7, form what i understood. but if you really want win xp, then you can install it after you buy the pc.

Steam ID | X360 Gamertag: AversiveKnave | ORIGIN: DarkBlue96

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 16:28:50

At 5/19/11 03:50 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote: Hello, I've been thinking about buying a gaming laptop. And I went to alienwares site and looked through their laptop section and under the operating section of all the specs they all say windows 7, I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's possible to put a different operating system like vista or XP on it.
To be more specific the m17x http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-
r3/pd.aspx

Yeah the second it arrives at your door just boot it from whatever operating system you want and install that - although if you're going to be gaming I'm not sure why you wouldn't want Windows 7 - especially with all the graphics related benchmarks it soared above XP and Vista with...

Anyway, you might want to check TigerDirect also. They're the most affordable company I know for computer parts, and I've ordered parts from them plenty of times for customers.

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 16:33:43

Thanks, the only problem I have with vista and 7 is the theme, I hate the search bar shit and I just prefer being able to click start and be able to see everything, and I like how the folders look, I'm used to the large folders in rows rather than the vista style where it's small icons scrolling down.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 16:53:49

yeah dude get alienware i have it and it runs everygame i play fine. it can run just about anything so get it its worth your money and if you have any problem the people will help you as much as possible. oh make sure to buy with a disc drive it doesn't have that.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 17:29:03

At 5/19/11 04:53 PM, kidd25 wrote: yeah dude get alienware i have it and it runs everygame i play fine. it can run just about anything so get it its worth your money and if you have any problem the people will help you as much as possible. oh make sure to buy with a disc drive it doesn't have that.

What kind of gaming laptop doesn't include a disk drive lol?

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 18:11:02

Any reason you're going to buy a gaming laptop instead of building a better computer for a lot less?

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 18:23:29

At 5/19/11 06:11 PM, Jolly wrote: Any reason you're going to buy a gaming laptop instead of building a better computer for a lot less?

Because it looks nice, runs nice, and I don't feel like building a laptop.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 18:23:58

gaming laptop

You're doing it like.... totally wrong

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 18:41:52

At 5/19/11 06:23 PM, Jackho wrote:
gaming laptop

Doing what? Wanting to be able to enjoy my favorite games on the go?

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 20:59:03

At 5/19/11 06:23 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote:
At 5/19/11 06:11 PM, Jolly wrote: Any reason you're going to buy a gaming laptop instead of building a better computer for a lot less?
Because it looks nice, runs nice, and I don't feel like building a laptop.

He's trying to say build a desktop which are better for playing games. You will not only pay a lot less money, but you will get a better gaming experience and performance. It's really your opinion or personal reasons why you want a laptop over a desktop or don't want to build your own of either, but you should give it some thought. Desktops are much better for gaming and are more customizable and much easier to upgrade parts in the future.

Just a little FYI, you can build a desktop for $1000 that would put that $1500 laptop to shame. Seriously give it some thought especially if you're trying to or wanting to save money.

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 21:13:54

At 5/19/11 06:41 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote:
At 5/19/11 06:23 PM, Jackho wrote:
gaming laptop
Doing what? Wanting to be able to enjoy my favorite games on the go?

Don't expect to be playing anything "on the go" on a gaming laptop. Even if you get the super expensive top of the range ones, you'll be lucky to hit 4 hours battery life when idling. You'll get no more than 2 if you're actually playing games, probably less.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 21:41:03

What's the point of a Gaming laptop OP? You couldn't "game on the go" because you would have under 2 hours of battery life on even under-demanding games. You'd have to plug it in and it'll just be a crappier desktop that gets really hot.
Why not just get a gaming desktop and a cheaper notebook, or even an iTouch/Android for the mobility you want?

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-19 22:57:40

I got a £400 laptop (dell 1555), and I spend my time playing rollercoaster tycoon and trackmania and defence grid.... the idea of a gaming laptop is a silly oxymoron but you can take a perfectly fine mainstream laptop and play games on it, just as long as you don't expect to play crysis.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 00:02:09

Shit, I just watched a gu play crysis max everything and have 30 fps, and that's on the shittier M11x model, I can't imagine how smooth it would run on the M17x. And as for portability I mainly mean just being able to play on the couch, play in my room, play at a desk and so forth, not to much of using it for long road trips.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 00:37:16

At 5/19/11 05:29 PM, Magic-Mushroom wrote:
At 5/19/11 04:53 PM, kidd25 wrote: yeah dude get alienware i have it and it runs everygame i play fine. it can run just about anything so get it its worth your money and if you have any problem the people will help you as much as possible. oh make sure to buy with a disc drive it doesn't have that.
What kind of gaming laptop doesn't include a disk drive lol?

One word; Steam. Most PC gamers seem to use Steam then physical copies of games.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 01:31:56

I'd only ever recommend getting a gaming laptop if you intend to use it outside of the house at certain locations. I mainly got a laptop to use it upstairs or downstairs in the house as well as taking it with me when I go down to London. My laptop is 2 1/2 years old but has managed to play Portal 2 and should be able to play Duke Nukem Forever so I haven't been really fussed about the game performance except for when the laptop overheats from collecting too much dust.

If you have a good place to have a desktop in your house (which I don't since my bedroom is too fucking small and the conservatory doesn't give me any privacy), it's best going with that over a laptop unless you have good intentions to use it outside the house.

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 01:53:34

At 5/20/11 12:37 AM, Warforger wrote: One word; Steam. Most PC gamers seem to use Steam then physical copies of games.

I have steam also, but for the games i can't buy off steam i have to buy the physical copy from amazon or something.

At 5/20/11 01:31 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'd only ever recommend getting a gaming laptop if you intend to use it outside of the house at certain locations. I mainly got a laptop to use it upstairs or downstairs in the house as well as taking it with me when I go down to London. My laptop is 2 1/2 years old but has managed to play Portal 2 and should be able to play Duke Nukem Forever so I haven't been really fussed about the game performance except for when the laptop overheats from collecting too much dust.

That's also why I want a laptop, I HATE having a desktop because I like being in private. It's not the content I'm on, It's just I hate people staring at my screen pestering me. That and it's a bitch to not have wifi and to move. With a laptop I could take it to a friends house or anywhere in my house.

For me money really is no problem seeing as how i got a job not to long ago, however the max I would consider spending is 2.5k
And like I've said before, I know for a fact it will be able to run top of the line games on decent settings. The shittier version of what I'm buying runs amazingly fast on high requirement games.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 01:59:33

I say if you want an i7 laptop with an HD Radeon card - more power to ya. Yes a gaming desktop would be far cheaper but if you want to game sitting on the couch then go for it and buy a badass laptop.

That laptop would more than likely smoke everyone's computer who has replied to this thread.

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 02:16:12

At 5/20/11 01:59 AM, SeeD419 wrote: I say if you want an i7 laptop with an HD Radeon card - more power to ya. Yes a gaming desktop would be far cheaper but if you want to game sitting on the couch then go for it and buy a badass laptop.

That laptop would more than likely smoke everyone's computer who has replied to this thread.

Haha I doubt it. My friend owns an alienware laptop, it's not so good.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 02:56:11

Depends on your situation. The college I go to has pretty small dorms and having a desktop would take up a lot of space. Plus I travel a lot and I like to game on the go so I built a gaming laptop that was at least $700.

Been over a year and it's still going strong.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 03:00:26

At 5/20/11 02:16 AM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote: Haha I doubt it. My friend owns an alienware laptop, it's not so good.

It's depends, he prolly got one of the shittier ones while I'm getting the über M17x.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 03:12:26

At 5/20/11 12:31 AM, Travis wrote: Basically this, I got my FF7 PC all modded out and shit and I can't wait for the next family trip. I will be playing the FUCK out of FF7.

I think a regular pc with integrated graphics (intel 4500mhd?) will run FF7 at 60 fps with VSync, because that's my graphics card, and there was no slowdown while playing it at all.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 04:19:13

At 5/20/11 02:16 AM, H-A-X-O-R-Z wrote: Haha I doubt it. My friend owns an alienware laptop, it's not so good.

You realize just because one model of alienware laptops isn't fast, that doesn't mean that they're all slow right? With what hardware? What processor? How much ram? What speed?

You really can't make a generalized statement like that. That's like saying "Fords are slow".

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-20 18:32:34

At 5/20/11 04:19 AM, SeeD419 wrote:
You realize just because one model of alienware laptops isn't fast, that doesn't mean that they're all slow right? With what hardware? What processor? How much ram? What speed?

You really can't make a generalized statement like that. That's like saying "Fords are slow".

Alienwares are overpriced and crap, that's common knowledge. Their specs are terrible and even Apple is making better gaming laptops now (provided you install Windows on it).

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-21 07:39:20

At 5/20/11 06:32 PM, Wolfos wrote: Alienwares are overpriced and crap, that's common knowledge. Their specs are terrible and even Apple is making better gaming laptops now (provided you install Windows on it).

this ^

I was going to get an alienware laptop but then i checked the regular dell website and found a laptop with the same specs for like 400 less. Its all flash although i have to admit some of their desktops are pretty badass looking. To the people hating on gaming laptops im on mine right now. I spent like 700 bucks on it and im able to play alot of games with decent fps. Dead space looks amazing since it works at the highest graphic settings. Oblivion runs really smoothly. Minecraft is a resource hog but it runs well too. (not saying its graphics are good but java eats up that memory) I think it really depends on what kind of games you will be playing. The battery life it says it will get is usually for much less demanding tasks though. I can get like 8 hours listening to music but 1 playing minecraft.

Response to "dumbest person you ever met" :

"Some girl I knew once forgot how to breath." -Dlxrevolution

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-21 08:40:46

Don't make the same mistake I did.

Buy a small netbook for private stuff on the go.
Buy a gaming PC with the rest of your money.

You'll be using your cash far more efficiently than if you bought a gaming laptop. Because of the size, the graphics cards actually perform worse than they are advertised.

For example: an NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 1g graphics card is far better than a NVIDIA GeForce 320M 1gb graphics card.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-21 09:01:05

At 5/21/11 08:40 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote: Don't make the same mistake I did.

Buy a small netbook for private stuff on the go.
Buy a gaming PC with the rest of your money.

Follow this advice. I only got a gaming laptop because I was going to move in a year, and I didn't want to bother spending $300 for shipping a desktop if I got one.

Oh well. I will just save up money next time and build my own gaming desktop and buy an 11 inch laptop for work. Also, building your own gaming desktop costs less than the alien ware laptops.

Response to Gaming Laptop Help? 2011-05-21 15:03:47

if you want to have a good gaming laptop, buy any laptop and install GameBooster 2.3 Premiun