00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Interscope Digital Distribution?

5,429 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-15 18:41:33

Ok, so.
Im currently doing some grungde-ish stuff and i was looking for a label, i read somewhere the the band "Them Crooked Vultures" used Interscope as their label, so i went to their website and looked around and i found this:

http://www.interscopedigitaldistribution .com/

Now, it might be my skepticism talking, but am i the only one thinking this looks kinda shady?
Is there anyone who's got any experience using interscope?

BBS Signature

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-15 19:19:34

I poked around a bit and i found something in the terms an conditions that im uncertain of:

"By clicking the "I Agree" button, you ("you") irrevocably grant to Company, throughout the world and during the Term (as defined below), the non-exclusive right:

(a) to sell, copy, distribute and otherwise exploit the "Recordings" (defined below) by all means and media (whether now known or existing in the future) through the any and all Internet consumer stores (e.g., "iTunes", "Rhapsody" and "Amazon") now operational or hereafter available;

(b) to collect all income deriving therefrom; and

(c) use the name(s), photographs and likenesses, artwork images, biographical and other information provided by you or the artists whose performances are embodied on the Recordings in connection with the Recordings and Company's general business."

Could somebody explain this to me? especially (a)?

BBS Signature

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-15 20:16:41

Dude, it's powered by TuneCore. They're legit.

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-15 23:29:42

Why not skip the middle man and go straight through Tunecore?

Tunecore is definitely legit. It's been around for about 6 years now and they do a great job compared to other online distribution agents.

In regards to section a in your question.
You would just be granting them the right to your copyright of the music.
This is not the copyright of your music as a songwriter, but it is the copyright of the actual recording.
(Everything has a different copyright. It gets hectic.)
With that right, they maintain they will use it to distribute to online stores.
When they say they will be collecting the income, it means with intention to deliver it back to you.

The whole thing is really just legal jargon for "give us the rights to use your music and the images and other things associated with it (album art, etc.) and we'll put it in stores and collect the money for you."

Hope that helps.

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-17 16:33:04

I wouldn't be worried about genres as generaly labels don't stick to a genre anymore (unless a person starts their own label). Look on Interscope, Sub Pop, Island Records and you'll find they're more concerned with the quality of the act (and their ability to sell units) than the style. So go for whatever seems the best offer rather than what label looks coolest.

Digital distribution is a cool idea - Tunecore is an example I'm not very aware of but Bandcamp is also quite popular as you set your own prices and you just give Bandcamp a flat 15%.

Plus Amanda Palmer uses it and she's totally cool, right?

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-17 17:16:57

At 4/17/11 04:33 PM, Chris-V2 wrote: Tunecore is an example I'm not very aware of but Bandcamp is also quite popular as you set your own prices and you just give Bandcamp a flat 15%.

Nine Inch Nails used Tunecore. And instead of them taking 15%, they charge your $50 to put an album up and then you keep the profits. A much better deal than Bandcamp.

Response to Interscope Digital Distribution? 2011-04-17 17:17:17

Thanks guys, i was really worried for a minute there :D

BBS Signature