00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KatboxAnimation just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm new here so...

906 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 21:45:57

Hey guys, I'm a long time Newgrounds user, but new to actually making an account and attempting to contribute to the site. I'm also very new to actually creating art, I just got a tablet and have been trying to teach myself how to draw on it. I've attached one of my favorite image manipulations of mine, but I've used my tablet to try and draw it instead of just merging multiple images and textures. Tell me what you think, and how I should go about making it look good, as opposed to mediocre.

I'll also link one of my first doodles with the tablet just a few days ago, tell me what you think about that one as well...

As to why they both have octopuses in them... I don't really know

I'm new here so...

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 21:48:12

OCTODOG!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 21:50:15

I actually call it a Dogtapus...

Also, I just realized that I nearly broke a rule, on my first post...
"Making "Hi, I'm new", "I'm back", or "I'm leaving NG" threads without significant content pertinent to your situation." is considered ban-worthy...

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true."

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 22:25:52

Hey there! Welcome to the art forum!
"I'm new" threads aren't that bad really, and this one has some art to back it up so it's all good!

As for art creation itself, I'd say try drawing original stuff. Generally, it's easier to draw on paper, but since you've got yourself a handy dandy tablet, I figure digital art is the way you wanna go?
Either way, drawing over images doesn't really take as much skills as drawing original characters from the top of your head or from reference, so try doing that!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 22:25:53

At 2/5/11 09:50 PM, SoConfused wrote: I actually call it a Dogtapus...

Also, I just realized that I nearly broke a rule, on my first post...
"Making "Hi, I'm new", "I'm back", or "I'm leaving NG" threads without significant content pertinent to your situation." is considered ban-worthy...

Yes, But you posted a piece of art that could be critqued. And I give it a 9! :D also, welcome!

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 22:44:14

You want to aim for clean lines in your work; a major appeal of digital work is the superior tidiness that one can exhibit with it. Which brings up the question: Why are your lines so damned blurry?

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 23:47:05

The reason it is blurry is because I used a soft brush. The reason I did this was because I based the picture off of the original picture I made, which was a stencil. Also this was more of a learning experience with my Wacom Bamboo.

I'm new here so...

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-05 23:59:19

At 2/5/11 11:47 PM, SoConfused wrote: The reason it is blurry is because I used a soft brush. The reason I did this was because I based the picture off of the original picture I made, which was a stencil. Also this was more of a learning experience with my Wacom Bamboo.

Well, not entirely original, but more of a photo manipulation.
Anyways, I would tell you to clean up the lines, and try for something a but more original.

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-06 00:27:15

Yeah as I said earlier, I've been more into the photo manipulation aspect of Photoshop rather than the illustration. It wasn't until I got my tablet that I've been experimenting with brushes and the sort. Right now I'm focusing less on creating really original art and more on practicing the basics of drawing on a tablet.

As for everyone else, I really do appreciate the help and advice that you are all giving me. I hope to improve enough to actually post something worthwhile on the site.

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-06 01:10:57

At 2/6/11 12:27 AM, SoConfused wrote: Yeah as I said earlier, I've been more into the photo manipulation aspect of Photoshop rather than the illustration. It wasn't until I got my tablet that I've been experimenting with brushes and the sort. Right now I'm focusing less on creating really original art and more on practicing the basics of drawing on a tablet.

As for everyone else, I really do appreciate the help and advice that you are all giving me. I hope to improve enough to actually post something worthwhile on the site.

You don't appreciate my advice? TT^TT
Naw, but I see your point. But in order to get a better handle of your tablet, don't do photomanipulations. You aren't really learning to use your tablet as much as you are getting acquainted with Photoshop's, well, phototshopping ability. Use a reference, and try to make it similar to the referenced picture. You did kinda try in your starter image, but you need to make it more refined. Start with shapes, draw from life, all that jazz. Your picture is very loose and sloppy. turn the lines into some real lineart and then color and stuff.

And stuff. Hope I helped (I doubt I did.)

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-06 02:37:27

So should I use Adobe Illustrator for the outlines and throw it into photoshop for the colors / textures? I'm completely new to the entire drawing on my computer thing. Anyway, I do appreciate your help, I get more help from people pointing out flaws and possible ways to fix them than having people praise my first works.

Also, since no one seemed to notice it, I'll post the other picture that was in my original post. This one is a little more original, but ultimately still sloppy. I didn't fix it up because I kind of liked the messy look.

I'm new here so...

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-06 02:51:57

Have to say, that the lines are way too thick for being included in anything photo-manipulated - stands out like a sore thumb. In fact, no lines at all would be preferred if you're trying to include it alongside more realistic object.

But at this rate, you're going to get really good at drawing octopi.

Response to I'm new here so... 2011-02-06 03:06:32

I thought that I would like the look of heavily outlined drawings over a real life picture as a background, but I probably should have drawn the earth instead of using a picture as my source. In addition to your thoughts about my drawing over a picture, I also agree that the outline may be (quite) a bit too heavy. I don't intend on being the go-to guy in the near future for a drawn octopus because I don't plan on drawing another one for quite some time. Thanks for the criticisms.

Flickr | My "Art"

BBS Signature