00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Itspanzinobro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Munchkin Quest Online

22,361 Views | 1 Reply
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Munchkin Quest Online 2011-01-12 00:59:35

I've started to work on a project to recreate Steve Jackson's game: Munchkin Quest into a flash version. I got some doubts regarding legal issues and programming stuff.

1) May I create an EXACT copy of the game and distribute it freely without getting any revenue out of it (not even sponsorship)? I thinks this is not legal either, as Steve's company would lose money with people playing the flash game instead of buying the official board game.

2) Then, if the first option is not legal, what can I do? Is it legal to make a game with the SAME concept (randomly generated dungeon from pieces like a puzzle), cards with monsters/treasures/magic but using my own artwork/names/etc.? Is there any limitation in this option? Can I get it sponsored?

3) Where can I get more information about what is it legal and what is not when trying to turn a boardgame into a pc game?

4) What do you think is the best way to handle that each magic card may override the core rules of the game?

5) Is a data base required for storing all the cards and rooms in the game? I was thinking more of an XML that stores all the information of cards/rooms and then parsing it when needed. Then no database would be needed, persisted information would be stored in the xml and no need to add new data to it.

6) If anyone interested in (freely) help, feel free to whisper. I'll work on Munchkin Quest game (not munchkin card game). I deeply think we need an online version for this game. It would be very nice to challenge people all over the world or even play against the computer a quick match (quick = 3 hours :P)

Thanks in advance!

Response to Munchkin Quest Online 2012-02-19 20:22:49

At 1/12/11 12:59 AM, paiorlolo wrote: I've started to work on a project to recreate Steve Jackson's game: Munchkin Quest into a flash version. I got some doubts regarding legal issues and programming stuff.

1) May I create an EXACT copy of the game and distribute it freely without getting any revenue out of it (not even sponsorship)? I thinks this is not legal either, as Steve's company would lose money with people playing the flash game instead of buying the official board game.

It is not legal to make an exact copy of the existing game, even though you may be transferring to a different medium. However, see below.

2) Then, if the first option is not legal, what can I do? Is it legal to make a game with the SAME concept (randomly generated dungeon from pieces like a puzzle), cards with monsters/treasures/magic but using my own artwork/names/etc.? Is there any limitation in this option? Can I get it sponsored?

Yes. While the Munchkin game may be copyrighted, that copyright protection will probably not prevent others from taking a similar concept and creating a similar game. Think, for example, of the card game Magic the Gathering, as compared to the flash game Elements (at kongregate.com). Copyright protects an author's expression, and not broad underlying conceptual themes. If you make your own artwork and text, you will very likely be fine. However, the more things which are unique about Munchkins that you mimic, the more likely you will be to get into trouble.

3) Where can I get more information about what is it legal and what is not when trying to turn a boardgame into a pc game?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:V7IA8j3AbUwJ:www.
copyright.org.au/admin/cms-acc1/_images/5800588824ce9b13813d 31.pdf+board+game+into+pc+copyrights&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srci d=ADGEESiOi8SCHKJnJcrCtqEXleFNaW4K2wR49hXvzBKnUWFL5QMFqzdBpG rmoMICcchLYdUOQA93Yx0NKphCziY550pknEdfK5kt3DJoK5b77RZ2YT0EED qwBsTqHKPxUbQeQxpPutuz&sig=AHIEtbQPOr4RRoS-X8cF4uUITpxI1PseM A