00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ahmad117 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Totem Collab

9,930 Views | 169 Replies

The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:01:45

Hey everyone and welcome to the totem callab. Everyone can join. We will later have a very big totem with 20 parts.

---RULES---

1. no sexual content
2. no sounds/music
3. no sprites/ just handdrawn pieces
4. dont make senseless parts/ parodies of other games, animations, etc.
5. stay active, post every few days at least.
6. please tell if you're dropping out
7. no advertising for your website etc, this will be done in the about part
8. sign your part on the bottom right
9. use one layer and a forground layer for SOME decoration
10. no background, I will do it later
11. use the 'totem-guidelines' I will give for download
12. no animations
13. make your totem a movieclip, for example: chameneon_totem

---SPECIFICATIONS----

Stage: 550px wide; 400px high
Deadline: 1st March

Parts:

Preloader: -
Menu: Chameneon
Part1: Chameneon
Part2: -
Part3: -
Part4: -
Part5: -
Part6: -
Part7: -
Part8: -
Part9: -
Part10: -
Part11: -
Part12: -
Part13: -
Part14: -
Part15: -
Part16: -
Part17: -
Part18: -
Part19: -
Part20: Chameneon
Artists-Page:

The totem will be animated later, so it scrolls up if you click the 'Go Up' button.
Thats why every participiant should use this guidelines (this is the width for every totem, the decoration can stick out the left or right a bit):

The Totem Collab

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:06:05

Download the guideline image from the top.
Later send me the finished .fla per mail to:
admin@chameneon.com
This is my part:

Chameneon-Totem

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:16:03

Im in; couple of questions though:
1; can we add some minor animation to them if we want to;
2; can we send you .png`s instead of .fla for poeple without flash
3; what version of flash do you have
4; why the 2 layer rule? wouldnt it be easier of poeple that submit a .fla just convert their part to a symbol.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:22:26

At 1/6/11 09:16 AM, J-qb wrote: Im in; couple of questions though:
1; can we add some minor animation to them if we want to;
2; can we send you .png`s instead of .fla for poeple without flash
3; what version of flash do you have
4; why the 2 layer rule? wouldnt it be easier of poeple that submit a .fla just convert their part to a symbol.

Ok your changes will be added. Also I use flash cs5
And the two layer rule is cancelled.

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:24:10

minor animation is ok but if you use moovieclips name them: yourname_totem_movieclip

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:24:28

I swear I did read the rules you supplied... just kinda... forgot about them instantly?
thanks for the quick reply, some more remarks/questions.

11. use the 'totem-guidelines' I will give for download

Should we stay inside those lines; or should we take the outer boundaries.

4. dont make senseless parts/ parodies of other games, animations, etc.

does that mean no SENSELESS parodies of other games/animations, or no parodies of other games/animations whatsoever; howeever well done they are?

9. use one layer and a forground layer for SOME decoration

what do you mean by SOME decoration? the totempoles I know of are very heavily decorated.

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:40:00

At 1/6/11 09:24 AM, J-qb wrote: I swear I did read the rules you supplied... just kinda... forgot about them instantly?
thanks for the quick reply, some more remarks/questions.
Should we stay inside those lines; or should we take the outer boundaries.

At the top and bottom of the totem stay inside those lines, in the middle you can draw outside of them. We need those lines because all parts will be added together to a big totem and the parts should have the same width at the transition points.

does that mean no SENSELESS parodies of other games/animations, or no parodies of other games/animations whatsoever; howeever well done they are?

I mean no senseless stuff, you can do parodies if you want to, but they should look awesome then.

what do you mean by SOME decoration? the totempoles I know of are very heavily decorated.

I didnt mean the totem should have some decoration, I said the foreground should have some decoration, for example: foreground -> butterflies.
The totem itself should be heavily decorated.

I hope all your questions are answered now.
Have fun.

Ps.: What part will you do?

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:40:41

You don't have a BA, so you should have asked a mod first for permission to make a collab >:(

However, the idea's cool, and a 20 piece collab shouldn't be that demanding, so I'm ok with it.

J-Qb's pulling apart your initial guidelines (quite rightly), so if you think it's necessary to restart your thread with a less shakey start, send me a message and I'll delete this one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:44:04

Oooops. Im sorry I didnt think about that. I totally forgot that rule. But can I please leave the collab going.

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:55:35

At 1/6/11 09:40 AM, Chameneon wrote: I mean no senseless stuff, you can do parodies if you want to, but they should look awesome then.

Good, thats what I would have suggested

I didnt mean the totem should have some decoration, I said the foreground should have some decoration, for example: foreground -> butterflies.

ah okay

Ps.: What part will you do?

Id like to do the second highest one so either 2 or 19; dunno what is the bottom or the top.

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 09:57:07

You can do both if you want! #2 is the second from bottom, #19 is almost the highest.

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:00:24

At 1/6/11 09:57 AM, Chameneon wrote: You can do both if you want! #2 is the second from bottom, #19 is almost the highest.

ill start with 19 then

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:07:30

save me a few spaces, i like the idea, also, you said no advertising your site, yet yours has your website logo and name next to it :P

just for clarification, how should we submit the work if we dont have flash, just a normal png at 550 X 400

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:29:55

At 1/6/11 10:07 AM, Ashman wrote: save me a few spaces, i like the idea, also, you said no advertising your site, yet yours has your website logo and name next to it :P

just for clarification, how should we submit the work if we dont have flash, just a normal png at 550 X 400

Yes submit png then, but dont forget make the png transparent. Also I will put a link to your site on the about the team page or credits page. Sorry that I wrote no advertising and its not clear for you, you can use your logo instead of your signation, but I meant no advertising with a link on the signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:31:16

@Ashman
What part/s will you do?

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:48:30

you decide, it really doesnt matter which piece i do

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:52:29

At 1/6/11 09:40 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: J-Qb's pulling apart your initial guidelines (quite rightly), so if you think it's necessary to restart your thread with a less shakey start, send me a message and I'll delete this one.

So, is this happening or what?

If everything is fine and dandy I'd like to call dibs on #16. Expect it sometime next week

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:52:34

This is the participiants list for now:

Preloader: -
Menu: Chameneon
Part1: Chameneon
Part2: Ashman
Part3: -
Part4: -
Part5: -
Part6: -
Part7: -
Part8: -
Part9: -
Part10: -
Part11: -
Part12: -
Part13: -
Part14: -
Part15: -
Part16: -
Part17: -
Part18: -
Part19: J-qb
Part20: Chameneon
Artists-Page:

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 10:54:36

At 1/6/11 10:52 AM, Havegum wrote:
At 1/6/11 09:40 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: J-Qb's pulling apart your initial guidelines (quite rightly), so if you think it's necessary to restart your thread with a less shakey start, send me a message and I'll delete this one.
So, is this happening or what?

If everything is fine and dandy I'd like to call dibs on #16. Expect it sometime next week

No, i think we will leave the thread, everyone will have to read the first 5 posts and then its fine.
Also nice to have you in the team!

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 11:40:04

How is everyone going? Do you have any questions?

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 11:57:32

At 1/6/11 11:40 AM, Chameneon wrote: How is everyone going? Do you have any questions?

as I said you'll probably have mine by next week, I'll get started on it around Monday sometime, or as soon as I've got spare time

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 18:21:22

I dibs number 10 please :D

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 19:05:50

what the fuck is a totem

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 19:17:31

Cool. I'll join. I wanna be somewhere in the middle.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 19:25:37

This looks pretty cool, I may make a part.

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 19:45:35

I will gladly take the 17th totem! Sounds like a good projekt for the community!

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 21:03:37

I would like to join :P
I don't care which place I get

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 21:05:40

At 1/6/11 07:45 PM, Dalenbourg wrote: I will gladly take the 17th totem! Sounds like a good projekt for the community!

Im gonna let you do that; but I will require that you be inspired by me for it

the 17th being my birthday and all

BBS Signature

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 22:17:57

...a few more things:

- an all white background is boring, will you be adding something to it? (mountains, sky, clouds, birds, airplanes, spaceship, blimp)
- twenty isn't very many and march is far away... why not just set a date and take as many as you get up until that time.
- who cares what number/spot you have! just assemble them the best way they fit together.
- don't post a numbered list of who has what spot. If you need to keep track, make a news post and put a link to it here. That way it's update-able and you won't have to quote a giant list here each time.

Also... remember to post your art IN the thread, don't just link... even if it's to the portal or dump. Those can change/die... and that's annoying. :P

I'll post more issues/bitching as they arise! :P

Response to The Totem Collab 2011-01-06 22:22:22

I love this idea. I haven't had much time to draw this week, but I'll make a submission this weekend. Could you please save me a spot? Closer to the bottom would be nice, but I don't care too much about where it is.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature