00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

studda614 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

just got router don't know WEP code

528 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

So i just got my wireless router so i can finally play my PS3 online and whatnot, however it has WEP code security enabled, i don't know where to look to find the WEP code so can anybody help me please?
i really want to connect online.
But while were on the subject can you tell me how to disable the code in general so that there's NO security at all. (my PSP can't connect online unless there's no security)
Help is appreciated.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to just got router don't know WEP code 2010-12-24 22:56:41

Things really depend on the make and model but generally brand new routers will come with a set of direction detailing the step-by-step process. I think what most people do wrong is they plug in the router and just expect it to work, when I'm pretty sure you've gotta connect it to your PC, run it's little setup disk, follow the prompts where it should ask you things like if you want a password and what you would like the password to be.

My 3 year old linksys for example required me to run its setup disk before even plugging it in to the power outlet. It prompted me to plug it in at a certain time, use the included ethernet cable and connect it to my PC for a bit and it wasn't until the end that I plugged it into the router my cable company supplied. Once you go through that whole process once, it should have no problem unless it has an error and you need to reset it back to factory defaults.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to just got router don't know WEP code 2010-12-24 23:07:40

If you've already set your router up, then it's as simple as logging into your router itself and looking up the WEP code. First, find the IP of your router. To do this, go into your network connections (Start >> Control Panel >> Network Connections). From there, you're going to have to find your active network connection. In Windows 7, click on the router's name, and then hit the "Details" button.

Now in the box that pops up, look for any numbers that might be your IP address. Usually, it looks something like 192.xxx.xx. Enter this number into your browser address bar.

Most routers require a username and password to gain access. Refer to your router manual, it should be in there. Once you've accessed your router, look around for a "Wireless Setting" tab. It should contain your WEP key.

If you still can't find it, let me know what router you have and what OS you're running, and I'll be able to help you more.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to just got router don't know WEP code 2010-12-25 01:31:54

What nonsense.

Dude WEP is internet security. Same with WPA, WPA2, WPA Personal, etc.

If you have a WEP internet code, someone set up security on your router. You need to ask whoever set up the router the security key that they assigned it.

WEP would be for instance the difference between a secured, and an unsecured network. If you are 100% sure that there is NO security on that router, you need to set your device up for an unsecured network.

You can access the router via a computer that's already connected to the network by typing in the gateway into a browser. I believe for linksys that it's 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1, but with different routers there are different gateways. If you have no idea, google your router and find out.

You can disable security there.

Minecraft server: alureon.net

PortalWatch 0.1 Alpha - Download

Sig by illicit

BBS Signature

Response to just got router don't know WEP code 2010-12-25 09:06:05

At 12/25/10 01:31 AM, SeeD419 wrote: If you have a WEP internet code, someone set up security on your router. You need to ask whoever set up the router the security key that they assigned it.

Not necessarily. In the UK, most of the routers that come with packages (as in the ISP packages) come with a pre-defined WEP or WPA key etc. They are usually written on the side of the router itself.

As for Mal's having to install the linksys stuff - not necessary. You just go to the IP address of the router and configure things from there. I've been using linksys routers for years and have never had to put the CD that accompanies the router in and use their software to set up that stuff.

Anyway, no-one's really going to be able to help until the OP actually lists what router he's using and the details of all of that stuff.