00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ReneePrower just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Which 3 consoles should I get

2,882 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:02:24

So which of the 3 game consoles should I buy?
The Nintendo Wii, I've always wanted one since it came out. I would probably want this the most.

The Xbox360, Don't really want it because the 360 focuses mostly on online which you have to pay a subscription for, and by the time I buy it I'll be completely broke already.

The PS3, Unfortunately I find the PS3 completely overrated with a lot of fantards liking it because of the "graphics" which I don't even think is all that special, In fact I don't even really want advanced graphics anyways. It does have free online but is also the most expensive out of the bunch.

Please don't post telling me I should get this because it has better graphics DERP.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:04:12

Get the wii, you want it, its cheap and you just pointed out problems with ps3 and xbox but none about wii.

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:43:11

At 7/31/10 03:02 PM, darklink4567 wrote: The PS3, Unfortunately I find the PS3 completely overrated with a lot of fantards liking it because of the "graphics" which I don't even think is all that special, In fact I don't even really want advanced graphics anyways.

Why are you saying this directly to PS3 owners? Any console owner is like this. Xbox owners are just the same as PS3 owners.

It does have free online but is also the most expensive out of the bunch.

Think about it this way:

Xbox 360 - 250GB - $299
PS3 - 250GB - $349

It's already not much of a difference, and the added live from the Xbox makes the prices even. (Xbox a little more now. And there are always bundles where the console will come with a free game or two. The PS3 and Xbox's prices are pretty much even.

Then, Wii- $200something and you don't get a very good experience.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:47:58

I have a Wii and 360. Both are great consoles IMO. The only reason I haven't got a PS3 is because I'm playing on PC for the time being. It's really down to the system's exclusives. Look at them and just see what you like better. Other than exclusives and content the 360 and PS3 are virtually identical game-wise. You still get Call of Duty, Bad Company, Madden, etc. on them. The Wii is just different, it's aimed particularly at casual gaming and a family-friendly experience. Which is good for social stuff IMO. If you're the kind of person who likes action games and plenty of them, go with the HD consoles. If you're like me who doesn't give a crap and just wants to play games, get all of them. :D

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:52:41

At 7/31/10 03:49 PM, Crink wrote: So yeah, you'll regret buying a Wii eventually if you crave an online experience, so uhh...

Yeah.

Um, I got the Wii. I haven't regreted my purchase so far. And I own a 360 as well. Just because a console is different and aimed at a crowd of people different from you does not mean that it's bad. Sure it's underpowered and most games are poorly ported to it, but it does offer some gems that are a great gaming experiences. So uh...

Yeah.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 15:56:32

At 7/31/10 03:49 PM, Crink wrote: [spoiler]no gaems.[/spoiler]

The only games a PS3 does not have are the Xbox exclusives, which are basically:

Gears of War, Fable, halo, Left 4 Dead.

Nothing to cry about. Xbox owners miss out on inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, heavy Rain, God of War...

MEDAL OF hONOR LIMITED EDITION

I have all consoles. 3. Wii. 1. PS3. 1. Xbox 360

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 16:26:13

At 7/31/10 03:57 PM, Crink wrote: I didn't claim the Wii was a bad console

Heh.

The Wii renders games at an inferior resolution to the other consoles. The Wii has inferior hardware to the other consoles. The Wii has terrible online, but you can still people about the online you do. The Wii has barely any good games for it that aren't first party. The Wii has a silly controller. The Wii forces you to pay extra for additional accessories such as the Wii motion plus.

While you can talk some of the good things about the 360 and PS3, you've yet to even say anything remotely nice about the Wii. Just plain out saying "I hate the Wii" would've sufficed.

But whatever.

I'm done.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 16:43:52

Well you answered your own question in the original post.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 17:00:43

Get the Wii. You obviously like it the most and it has a solid library of games.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 17:24:31

At 7/31/10 05:00 PM, Salnax wrote: Get the Wii. You obviously like it the most and it has a solid library of games.

He got the Wii. Oh god, what a fail.

Placeholder signature.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 17:37:27

At 7/31/10 05:30 PM, esko-man wrote: xbox live is so so so much better than PS3's online BECAUSE you have to pay for it. Sony could care less what happens on their free service,

how is Xbox Live so so so much better than PSN?

but they did launch a new better online that you do have to pay for.

Wrong-O. It pretty much just gives you deals and "free" games.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 17:52:23

At 7/31/10 05:30 PM, esko-man wrote: Take care of your system and you won't have to worry about the horror stories people tell happening to yours.

I can tell you that is a load of complete shit. I take care of all of my consoles, and play them for a good amount of time each. My 360 is kept in a well ventilated place, and yet it broke twice. My other Consoles (Genesis, GameCube, Nintendo 64, NES, SNES, Dreamcast, Wii, and my brothers PS3) are kept within the same room, and haven't broke at all. Each of these (Except the PS3 and Dreamcast) were bought at release, and have over 200 hours easily clocked on each. My 360 has around 80 hours of gaming and it broke because of bad design flaws. If you do get a 360, go for the SLIMs, as I heard they are supposed to stop RROD.

Oh, and the Wii is a joke unless you're 6 or 60.

I love the Wii more than the other consoles this generation.
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (Fucking amazing, controls make it really fun)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Super Mario Galaxy
LoZ: TP
Wii Fit (lol)
The Conduit
Dead Space Extraction
Mad World
Monster Hunter 3
No More Heroes
(Not including my Gamecube library)
These are the Wii games I have, and keep my system alive. Much more than my Xbox or PS3 have seen. If I want graphics, I'll play the games on my PC. And yet, still play the multiplatform games with superior controls and content.

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 17:58:22

The Wii is great for family and socially oriented events, while the PS3 is great for exclusives and a wide variety of gaming genres. The Xbox is good if you want to spend your time playing XBL titles and mostly action oriented games.

Personally, I'd go for either the Wii or PS3, as the Xbox doesn't really do much for me. But it's up to your tastes. Sounds like you would like a Wii. So go for it.

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 18:11:57

a 360 waay better the Wii is for little kids and those with down syndrome, and the PS3 is good but if have to invest in Blu-ray.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 18:14:18

At 7/31/10 06:11 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: a 360 waay better the Wii is for little kids and those with down syndrome

My fanboy senses are tingling.

and the PS3 is good but if have to invest in Blu-ray.

This would've been a plausable argument in, say, 2006, but the PS3 ain't expensive anymore.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 19:21:24

Y'know you guys don't have to point out that I'm a Wii fanboy, because I know I'm a wii fanboy. I've been playing Nintendo games since I was growing up and I still love Nintendo. True I didn't give any thoughts on the bad aspects of wii, but that's because I already knew on this thread that there was going to be hate on the wii like there always was. And since there was already people going to talk bad about the wii... I didn't really have to put it in my first post. If you guys hate the wii because it's not on your age group... that doesn't matter at all. There's no such thing as an age group in gaming. If there was why are there 12 year olds playing M rated games. It's not suppose to be within their age group so why are they playing it? Video games are suppose to be fun, If you're having fun, then you made the right choice. why are 12 year olds playing M rated games? Because A lot of them are fun.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 19:39:35

Let's look at the best deals for the consoles.

Black Wii - 200$

Comes with a wiimote and nunchuk, as well as both Wii Sports games, which will entertain you until you can scrounge up enough money for a quality titles like Brawl or Mario Galaxy. You also get Wii motion plus giving you access to playing Red Steel 2 and the upcoming Zelda title. And considering Wii games are loads cheaper than the other games for other consoles, the Wii is the best choice financially. However, you won't get glisteningly good graphics or a good online experience. The only thing that makes up for that is the Virtual Console service where you can download old Nintendo titles for reasonable prices (NES game =5$, SNES/Sega Genesis game= 8$, N64 game=10$)

The Wii itself has Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, and games for any gamer. Granted, there's not as many shooters as there should be, but the Wii is at the top when it comes to exclusive titles.

PS3 Slim 120GB -300$

I also own a PS3 and love it just as much as my Wii, though that may change with the four incredible Wii games coming out before the year is out. The PS3's online service is free, and you have access to moderately fun downloadable titles, as well as PS1 classics for great prices (6-10$ for PS1 games). It also has Trophies, which are the 360 equivalent of Achievements. Trophies give you a reason to 100% a game, and to show off to your other gamer friends. The amount of people online on the PS3 is smaller to the 360, but that really just means less 13 year olds spouting cuss words that they don't even know the meaning of.

The PS3 and 360 aren't that much different, but most of the arguments come down to which system has the better exclusive titles. If you want Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid 4, Infamous, and LittleBigPlanet, the PS3 is for you. If Halo and Gears of War are more your style, the 360 may be the better choice

Xbox 360 Elite - 400$ (I think)

Definitely the best 360 to date. With a very low failure rate and up-to-date hardware. I don't know much about the 360 because I don't own it. My friends tell me I should've got one. But having to pay for online would be a bitch. I think it was 50$ a year. And with games on the system being all about online play, you need to get up the cash. I won't say anything more about this system, but it wouldn't hurt to still consider it.

The way I see it, the Wii is your best choice. In this generation, getting the full video games experience requires a Wii and either a PS3 or 360. I went with Wii/PS3, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. The Wii supplies me with games that have great gameplay as well as older titles I wasn't around for, while the PS3 allows me to play good online games and collect trophies.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 19:40:31

The key Wii talking points are its price as well as its library. Sure, there aren't many successful third party titles, but you've got more than enough stuff to keep you occupied if you check out what's on the virtual console. If you've owned an older Nintendo console of any kind, chances are some part of it broke quite a long time ago, and I'm sure you'd be pleased to know that the games you used to play are readily accessible for, usually, a very agreeable fee. Almost everything up until now that's been Nintendo related is available to you if you get a Wii. Graphical limitations often forces the Wii games to be visually "different" with cartoonish perks (say, Madworld, for example) in order to not lose points in the "Beauty" category, "Beauty" thus more becoming a matter of personal taste. If there is any gaming categories I'd say the console excels in, I think that'd be Platforming and Adventure games, but the whole "fitness" spiel is also quite prominent.

The 360 has the most solid and established online and FPS gaming community, with a massive row of FPS and Action - related titles. It has some decent RPGs too, off the top of my head I'd like to mention Tales of Vesperia. I'd call the console well-rounded if it wasn't for the fact that online connectivity is by far the biggest thing the 360 has going on. Games themselves are generally a tad more expensive for the 360 than for the Wii, but I may be wrong. Technical issues are a concern if you buy a used or just outdated console model, your best bet is to pick up one of those snazzy, smaller ones that kind of look like a black hourglass. I don't think they've dropped backward compatibility for older XBOX games, but I know for a fact that not ALL older games will work.

The PS3 has Final Fantasy XIII and Blu-Ray as its main selling points. With the Resistance games you get some decent FPS action, and there's just generally something of everything to be had. I wouldn't say any gaming genre stands out for the PS3, but that might very well just be my own impression of the console and not objective judgement. It should be mentioned that the games for the PS3 are the most expensive, I can get roughly one major and one minor Wii title for the same price as one average PS3 title. The prices might be a bit different outside of Europe, but I'd say it holds true in general anyway. You also get free online gaming, but it is my impression that the PS3 online gaming scene is still a tad underdeveloped. Some of the earlier PS3 models were backwards compatible with older PS2 titles, but as far as I know this is not the case with the current Slim model.

Anyone who's been more up-to-date than me can go ahead and revise the pros and cons of this post, I've spent long enough writing it as is I think.

Zephiran: Maintaining grammatical correctness while displaying astonishing levels of immaturity.

I was gonna clean my room.

But then I got pie.

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 19:59:08

At 7/31/10 03:02 PM, darklink4567 wrote: In fact I don't even really want advanced graphics anyways.

Get a SNES then you cheapskate. Does that answer your query?

PS3 OVERRATED MY ARSE

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 19:59:17

Eh, I would suggest not getting the Wii..most of its games are crap, and it only has a handful of "serious" good games (not to mention the fact that the maximum resolution it supports is 480p)
The 360 has a better online service, but it's pay-for, and the PS3 has an integrated BluRay player (and free online features)...
Then again, one has to look at the "exclusive games" each console has...

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 20:05:56

At 7/31/10 07:59 PM, HeavyTank wrote: (not to mention the fact that the maximum resolution it supports is 480p)

So does my laptop with Team Fortress 2. Should I stop playing PC?

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 20:09:25

At 7/31/10 07:59 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Eh, I would suggest not getting the Wii..most of its games are crap, and it only has a handful of "serious" good games (not to mention the fact that the maximum resolution it supports is 480p)
The 360 has a better online service, but it's pay-for, and the PS3 has an integrated BluRay player (and free online features)...
Then again, one has to look at the "exclusive games" each console has...

I already told you I don't care about graphics in video games in my first post. The wii doesn't need to be all pretty for it to be a good console. And you may not find the games good, but I find a lot of them fun and interesting.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 20:17:15

At 7/31/10 08:05 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote:
At 7/31/10 07:59 PM, HeavyTank wrote: (not to mention the fact that the maximum resolution it supports is 480p)
So does my laptop with Team Fortress 2. Should I stop playing PC?

Resolution means nothing, and only dumbasses think HD exists.

Well.

Shit.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 20:28:13

At 7/31/10 07:59 PM, BobbaQ wrote:
At 7/31/10 03:02 PM, darklink4567 wrote: In fact I don't even really want advanced graphics anyways.
Get a SNES then you cheapskate. Does that answer your query?

PS3 OVERRATED MY ARSE

Calm down mate, he doesn't know jack about PS3, you don't know jack about Wii. This kind of "argument" won't go anywhere.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 20:41:03

Get the Wii, but make sure you filter the games you buy. There are so many awful and shitty games for the Wii you need to avoid. I would recommend getting titles like Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy etc. I also recommend getting virtual console games, and wiiware games like Cave Story, but make sure the game you're getting doesn't suck ass because sometimes games on the Wii just ultimately eat balls for breakfast.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 21:35:02

At 7/31/10 08:05 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote: So does my laptop with Team Fortress 2. Should I stop playing PC?

Erm, TV screen resolution and computer screen resolutions are pretty damn different..

At 7/31/10 08:09 PM, darklink4567 wrote: I already told you I don't care about graphics in video games in my first post. The wii doesn't need to be all pretty for it to be a good console. And you may not find the games good, but I find a lot of them fun and interesting.

Well, being all pretty and having the power of a PS2 are two different things...anyway, what I was saying is that the Wii has far less good games compared to the other two, which means that you have less variety and that you're missing out on great games if you look at the big picture..

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 21:40:22

For the money you'd spend on a Wii, you can go retro and do far better. Or you can buy a DS or wait for the 3DS and, again, do better. Even the PSP would be a better choice than the 360 and just as good as the PS3. But if you're going to insist on a console, I suggest the Wii. You say you want it, it's got all the Nintendo franchises plus the Virtual Console, and it's the most cost-efficient.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 21:49:57

At 7/31/10 09:35 PM, HeavyTank wrote:
At 7/31/10 08:05 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote: So does my laptop with Team Fortress 2. Should I stop playing PC?
Erm, TV screen resolution and computer screen resolutions are pretty damn different..

Erm, not really...

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 21:55:14

At 7/31/10 09:49 PM, KeroKeroMario wrote: Erm, not really...

Ohhh yes really.Don't make me explain, GIYF.

Response to Which 3 consoles should I get 2010-07-31 21:59:46

At 7/31/10 09:55 PM, HeavyTank wrote: Ohhh yes really.Don't make me explain, GIYF.

Curses! Foiled again!