00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NobeastcanDefeatme just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game?

3,404 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 11:16:48

It'd be very sheepish to not buy a game because a reviewer says so.

Personally, I'd contemplate the review but ultimately decide for myself, just because they review it so, doesn't mean I won't enjoy it myself.

hello

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 11:17:05

There is only one rule to buying games, rent first.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 11:18:57

When I look for reviews on a game, I look for more in-depth ones than numerical values. I usually look for people talking about the games, what they liked, what they didn't like, and basing my tastes on that, determining if a game is worth my time. I usually trust the opinions of my friends, also, but if they can't recommend a game to me, I'll try to look up as much information as I can.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 11:31:12

My gaming magazine gave Borderlands a 6/10, but I enjoyed it and bought it anyway.

You defeated the post! Gained +1 post count!

My favorite site in the whole world as it is so effin awesome

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 11:55:26

If a game has unanimously been derided but still looks interesting, I'll just wait for a price drop.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 12:30:10

I don't give a shit about reviews to be honest.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 12:58:30

My priority list for deciding a game's worth (lowest to highest)

Gameplay videos
Reviews
Word-to-word
Demo

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:02:02

I read many reviews first. If most reviews all agree that the game is pure shit due to bugs or glitches or something then I probably ignore it (say, if it only gets 1/10 from every person that played it ever). If there's a lot of people saying it's shit and another lot of people saying it's great, I consider it the same as if everyone was saying it's great.

Like The Godfather 2, a lot of people hated it and a group loved it. I loved it, even tho it was short and there's like nothing to do after completing it.

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:06:39

At 6/25/10 01:02 PM, Androu1 wrote: Like The Godfather 2, a lot of people hated it and a group loved it. I loved it, even tho it was short and there's like nothing to do after completing it.

Oh, and like Way of the Samurai 3 which was bashed by a lot of people, but I got it because I'm a fan of the series and I love the game. I need to play it more, tho.

i deserve death

dont click the link this account is shit and fuck me

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:27:18

I don't give a fuck about reviews. If i like a game, then I buy it.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:29:59

I take reviews into consideration, but they don't determine whether or not a buy a game. Generally I will have spent a lot of time watching gameplay videos on YouTube weeks or months before a game is released, and if I like the look of how it plays out, I'll buy it.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:33:17

IGN's "review" of MAG didn't stop me from buying it and loving it.

Same with Red Steel and Gamespot. If I'm completely honest though, I think they're both shit at reviewing.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:39:57

I read why they gave it such a low score first. If it is something that turns me off of the game, I don't buy it.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:43:40

Years ago (before I had mass access to the internet) I relied heavily on reviews from magazines because it was the only way available to me at the time to get info on the games I was thinking about getting. I did happen to buy a few lower scored games overall such as the games from Dynasty Warriors, but mostly I kept to the higher scored games.

Now though, I do use reviews as a reference point. When you have a lot of them giving good or bad scores for a game, that's hard to ignore. I also do tend to stick with games that are higher scored though a few games I currently have were not reviewed above an 8.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:45:22

The last time I read a review that said that X game sucked hard ( like 10/20 or something lower), I actualy rented it and damm, it was one freaking awesome game! Forgot which game it was, sadly...

Moral of the story: Don't give a fuck about review, since its only a guy giving is opinion, not fact.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

-Albert Einstein

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 13:57:02

I only buy games with other an 80 on metacritic because i believe any game with a score lower than that must be pure shit and if i were to buy it I would regret my purpose and it would be added to my list of reasons to kill myself.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 14:00:26

Probably not, but I'm not in a habit of buying games these days. I rent for Xbox 360 and pirate or buy when they're stupidly cheap and stupidly old for PC

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 14:08:44

Yes. Ratings doesn't really matter to me

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 14:46:51

It bugs me when people think a 6 or 7 out of 10 is a bad score. I have a friend who is reluctant to purchase a game if it does not receive at least an 8.5 on Metacritic. He relies on the user scores and not the reviewer scores.

I don't go off reviews at all, because I know there are a lot of pretentious people out there who only give high marks to trends. I know some reviewers give low marks on a game which doesn't have online multiplayer, which is one of the most ridiculous ways of judging a game I've ever seen.

I rely more on word of mouth, since I browse a couple of video game sites, so I can usually catch some interesting titles. If I see a game that looks fun, I'll look up YouTube gameplay videos, and decide from that.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 14:48:40

If a game seems appealing to me, I rent it. When I rent it I play it a bit, if I like it enough I'll buy it. But if I really like the game, I'll just rent it, beat it, and return it usually. Just because I'm so hooked.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 15:15:01

If it's a series like Sonic, I have no reliable source of reviews because every reviewer hates every game in the series. So, when a reviewer hates Sonic Unleashed which I then buy and love, why would I trust their review of Sonic and the Black Knight which I also bought and wound up not liking at all.

Besides, typically if a game is good at least a few reviewers will like it. Quite a few reviewers hated Bionic Commando, but I liked it as did IGN and Play Magazine. Also, I never really considered 7 a "bad" score, if a game looks interesting to me it has to get at least a 5 or 6 pretty unanimously before I reconsider getting it.

That's when I even bother reading reviews, that is.

At 5/11/59 09:17 PM, Wolverine said:

| No no-neck redneck dumps on my wife and gets away with it!

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 15:31:32

Reviews aren't the words of God Itself, and I refuse to treat them as such. For series with broken, unpleasable, or idiotic fanbases, the newest game might get a reviewer who falls on the wrong side of the fanboy divide. It could be a genre that's out of favor with a lot of game reviewers. It could just wind up in the hands of a reviewer who has different tastes than I do. I'm also not going to go out and get a game just because some reviewer gave it straight 10s. It might be in a genre I don't like, or it might be light on single-player and trying to make up for it with online multiplayer, or it could include that accursed "real is brown" aesthetic I hate so much, or the reviewer could be giving it a good review to try to escape fanboy hate or earn corporate advertising coin even when it's just a rehash of its predecessor. Or, again, the reviewer might have a completely different taste in games than I do.

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 15:39:36

I'm a game reviewer so I know we're not always right.

Also, despite a game being weak in mechanics and presentation it might have a certain charm that would make you want to play it, or a fan-based attachment. Or you might just like the story/concept so much it's worth a try.

Just because someone says a game is bad doesn't mean you'll think it is too. Don't be a sheep.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 16:26:28

My way of buying? Looking at the name.
Warcraft three? Sounds pretty sweet.
Portal? Cool.
Borderlands? Eh, I call internet on this one.
Kinectanimals? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

A quite sexay sig

Created by RiotDemon

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 17:25:57

At 6/25/10 02:46 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: It bugs me when people think a 6 or 7 out of 10 is a bad score. I have a friend who is reluctant to purchase a game if it does not receive at least an 8.5 on Metacritic. He relies on the user scores and not the reviewer scores.

A 6 or 7 is a bad score in terms of most video game reviews. Have you not heard of the 6-10 rating system that reviewers use?

If a game unanimously gets less than 7/10 from reviewers, I probably won't buy it. Games aren't cheap enough for me to take risks.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 18:10:26

At 6/25/10 05:25 PM, Aigis wrote: Have you not heard of the 6-10 rating system that reviewers use?

Is that some kind of fiendish system where the lowest score is a 6? If so, lol.

6/10 is still above the middle of the scale, meaning that there are still redeeming qualities to the game. For this reason, I wouldn't discard it from being a potential buy.

Perhaps some reviewers' logic differs from mine, but what I've stated makes the most sense to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 18:14:35

At 6/25/10 06:10 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: Is that some kind of fiendish system where the lowest score is a 6? If so, lol.

Yes.

If you read game reviews often you'll find that most reviewers almost never give a game less than a 6.

A truly terrible game might get a 4.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 18:19:07

At 6/25/10 06:14 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/25/10 06:10 PM, Chumbawamba wrote: Is that some kind of fiendish system where the lowest score is a 6? If so, lol.
Yes.

If you read game reviews often you'll find that most reviewers almost never give a game less than a 6.

A truly terrible game might get a 4.

Yeah, that just seems silly. I can understand not handing out 0s, as that would likely go to products that don't classify as games. In the 6-10 scale, they may as well make the 6 a 1, a 10 a 5, and go for a 1-5 system.

Perhaps the reviewers simply avoid reviewing games that are bad enough to warrant a 5 or below, and are occasionally caught by surprise with a game they rank as 4/10.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you buy a 7/10 or lower game? 2010-06-25 18:20:14

If a game gets a 7/10, I'll generally wait until it hits the bargain bin. Those sorts of games certainly still have some fun to them, but it just doesn't make sense to spend $60 on it when it's going to not sell all that well and drop in price really fast.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus

Sig by Akula

BBS Signature