00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

627,949 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2012-07-08 14:31:38

At 7/8/12 12:39 PM, saqwert wrote:
At 7/7/12 05:40 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 7/7/12 02:17 PM, saqwert wrote: How many of you people learned guitar from scratch on your own?

I did.

Well, my friend had been playing for about a month, and then he got me interested and we started learning off each other. I haven't played with him in some time, over a year, but the last time I did play with him I had improved more than he did. But that's mainly because when I got to college I started jammin' with a couple other guitarists who were steps above me.

So basically if you just play with other people you'll improve. At least I've found it much easier that way, and it doesn't really feel like you're practicing if you're jammin out with people you enjoy hanging around with. We've also written a bunch of music, although I'm not as good as someone who would have taken lessons for the same length I've played, I feel like I can hold my own in music composition etc. without knowing much theory.

Not me. Why?
So you can tell me how

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-07-12 17:17:16

Hey there.

Can someone tab a song for me? It's pretty ambient-ish so I'm thinking it's sort of simple.

This song.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-07-14 06:51:21

Guitar: ESP Ltd EC-256 (My first guitar)
Playing Exp: 8 months and counting.
Listen to : Pretty much anything ranging from clean acoustic to heavy metal as long as it has good instrumentals, especially guitar, or good vocals.
Influences: Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Guns 'n Roses, Joe Satriani, Green Day, Black Sabbath, Queens, Iron Maiden etc.

Response to Guitarists 2012-07-23 19:12:19

1.fender starkaster
2.breaking benjamin
3.year half

Response to Guitarists 2012-08-06 01:08:52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5wC5-JjQUQ

Yep, Making attempts at this song. Words can't even describe the mindfuck

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-08-09 00:51:12

So I have a question to my fellow guitarists. Do any of you have trouble picking out a new guitar and sticking with it?

Why I ask? Because I seem to run into it constantly. I own an RG and the thing has just been sitting in its case for the last year and a half. I mean it's a great guitar, but I just can't seem to fit it to my playing style. Which is a problem I had with the Epi Les Paul I owned and sold (so that I could get the RG). It seems when I buy a new guitar, I play it for a few months and then it ends up in its case for most of its duration. And then I switch right back over to my first guitar (an Ibanez Gio). And while I love my first guitar as a good beginner guitar, I just wish I could find something new (and of better quality) so that I can move on from it.

So my question(s) for you, is do you have this problem? And if so how did you solve it? Also, if not and you were able to just find a guitar you loved immediately, how did you know it was the right guitar?

Response to Guitarists 2012-09-23 14:34:23

At 8/9/12 12:51 AM, Psil0 wrote: I just wish I could find something new (and of better quality) so that I can move on from it.

So my question(s) for you, is do you have this problem? And if so how did you solve it? Also, if not and you were able to just find a guitar you loved immediately, how did you know it was the right guitar?

You gotta play the guitar and decide you like it before you buy it, lol. Also it's kind of a must the guitar you're buying be superior in some way to the others you own so it has a use. Frankly, I've never had this problem (other than when I just first started) and all my guitars and other instruments have their purpose and use. For example, there's my mom's 40 year old piece of crap Yamaha classical guitar that I bring to school with me to practice because I don't want my 2 thousand dollar classical getting banged around or stolen. And to appropriate that even further for you, I bought the expensive classical guitar because I needed a instrument that sounded good to play classical on.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-09-23 20:53:00

At 8/9/12 12:51 AM, Psil0 wrote: So I have a question to my fellow guitarists. Do any of you have trouble picking out a new guitar and sticking with it?

Not really. And the fact that you own an RG but go back to your Gio is completely beyond me. That's like buying a Squier, then buying a Fender and deciding you liked the Squier more.

I don't follow.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2012-12-29 14:07:43

I think I've finally hit a plateau in playing guitar. I don't know what to do or what to improve on. My playing style has turned into major seventh dickery and mastubatory pentatonic licks.

I have no idea where to go or how to make myself better anymore. My music is slightly improving, yeah, but my guitar playing isn't. Can anyone give me any advice?

Response to Guitarists 2012-12-31 06:49:36

At 12/29/12 02:07 PM, Sawdust wrote: I think I've finally hit a plateau in playing guitar. I don't know what to do or what to improve on. My playing style has turned into major seventh dickery and mastubatory pentatonic licks.

I have no idea where to go or how to make myself better anymore. My music is slightly improving, yeah, but my guitar playing isn't. Can anyone give me any advice?

Sounds like you need to be inspired man.

What styles of music do you listen to/play? Do you jam often with other people or are you in a band?

What helped me shitloads was trying to find new bands all the time, all it takes is one riff or one lick to spark something awesome (sounds corny, but it works). Jamming with others is even better, I learnt more in 6 months jamming with my first "wing man" than I ever did being a bedroom player for 6 years (I'm assuming you play by yourself)

http://freelicks.net/ - If you haven't already visited this guys site, I would strongly suggest you do. Firstly, its FREE, secondly, its fuckin' AWESOME!!

My gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX FR
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 6505
VOX AD30VT

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-10 16:18:48

Hey guis, I was wondering if you could tab something for me please.

It's sounds pretty simple, should be fairly easy: Despair Came Knocking

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-14 19:05:00

At 7/7/12 02:17 PM, saqwert wrote: How many of you people learned guitar from scratch on your own?

I did...but i suck compared with people that had professors :(

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-15 00:48:48

At 1/14/13 07:05 PM, DivoFST wrote:

I know the feeling. Granted, I don't really consider myself a guitarist anymore so much as I do a composer/musician... Guitar is just one of those things I put in songs from time to time (All the time if that song is metal...).

I tried taking lessons once, but I ended up getting a teacher that was actually worse than I was... So the lessons didn't last very long, and I just continued teaching myself instead.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-15 10:05:43

At 1/15/13 12:48 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 1/14/13 07:05 PM, DivoFST wrote:
I tried taking lessons once, but I ended up getting a teacher that was actually worse than I was... So the lessons didn't last very long, and I just continued teaching myself instead.

LOL..well that's not nice at all, maybe he paid you instead of getting paid in the end of each lesson xD
I started with a hunger to learn a lot of things but it sorta disappeared with time and now im just happy to know what i know.
I know enough to keep me going and i let feeling do a lot more than knowledge when i pick my guitar the only problem is when i hear my "teacher educated" guitar buddies talk and play...it discourages me like hell.
Oh also playing guitar without any teacher for 3 years messed my finger positions on the fretboard and my pinky looks hadicaped when i use him to play solos xD

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-15 10:15:50

A-Are bass guitarists accepted here...?

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Guitarists 2013-01-29 23:24:22

How does everyone feel about buying used guitars from Guitarcenter? I'm usually really skeptical about it, seeing as how most of the ones I see are just second hand squires or something. But I saw an ESP LTD F-50 for $100 and it actually looked decent.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-02-17 02:33:46

At 2/16/13 06:58 PM, EJR wrote:
At 1/29/13 11:24 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: How does everyone feel about buying used guitars from Guitarcenter? I'm usually really skeptical about it, seeing as how most of the ones I see are just second hand squires or something. But I saw an ESP LTD F-50 for $100 and it actually looked decent.
(assuming you haven't bought it yet) I've never bought anything used from guitar center but I think their warranty / insurance policy is a little different on used items and I'd be a little more worried about that. If it's in your local store you should be able to actually go and try it out to scope it for problems. And since it's under $100, if you buy it with coverage and find a problem within your first year with it you should be able to get it replaced.

I've actually been a bit more skeptical about it. I'm really not too familiar with the ESP brand and apparently the LTD I was looking at is basically the cheapest. I mean any other non LTD is what, $1000-2000? I don't have that kinda cash to throw at a guitar yet.

I've just been looking for a new " shredder " guitar. I only have an ibanez RG120 right now but I think even a cheaper ESP would still be an upgrade.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-02-17 02:35:23

And by cheaper I meant like around $400 or something

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-02-17 21:33:04

Has anyone here read "Zen Guitar" by Philip Toshido Sudo? It's a GREAT read, and everything in it can be applied to everything in life, but some of the wording in it makes it tailored for guitarists and musicians.

Response to Guitarists 2013-02-26 01:42:25

So my instructor and I were talking about song possibilities for a recital I have to do later. I mentioned maybe learning a villa lobos piece, to which he said that would be too hard and take too long. So he gave me a prelude and fugue by Bach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZlmSH7ISg

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-02-26 20:32:29

At 2/26/13 01:42 AM, TheSporkLord wrote: So my instructor and I were talking about song possibilities for a recital I have to do later. I mentioned maybe learning a villa lobos piece, to which he said that would be too hard and take too long. So he gave me a prelude and fugue by Bach.

Ahh, man, Villa Lobos would be awesome.

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-03 09:32:03

So, this afternoon I was cleaning out my wardrobe and found one of my guitars. I played it, I'm still pretty shit at it.

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-03 12:49:27

At 6/3/13 09:32 AM, positively-negative wrote: So, this afternoon I was cleaning out my wardrobe and found one of my guitars. I played it, I'm still pretty shit at it.

Practice man!

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 06:37:25

At 6/3/13 12:49 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote:
At 6/3/13 09:32 AM, positively-negative wrote: So, this afternoon I was cleaning out my wardrobe and found one of my guitars. I played it, I'm still pretty shit at it.
Practice man!

Easier said than done.

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 09:26:16

At 6/4/13 06:37 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 6/3/13 12:49 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote:
Practice man!
Easier said than done.

Well, do you have the passion it takes?

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 09:49:49

At 6/4/13 09:26 AM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Well, do you have the passion it takes?

No. If I did, most of my gear would not be stashed in my wardrobe in the first place...

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 10:04:37

At 6/4/13 09:49 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 6/4/13 09:26 AM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Well, do you have the passion it takes?
No. If I did, most of my gear would not be stashed in my wardrobe in the first place...

Why did you get it then?

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 10:23:14

At 6/4/13 10:04 AM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Why did you get it then?

Oh, I've been playing guitar for the better part of 10 years, and have inherited masses of gear from my dad. It's just the last few years with studies, work and attempts at a social life, playing guitar has just had to take a backseat, not that I was ever that serious or studious at it anyways.

Response to Guitarists 2013-06-04 10:24:59

At 6/4/13 10:23 AM, positively-negative wrote: Oh, I've been playing guitar for the better part of 10 years, and have inherited masses of gear from my dad. It's just the last few years with studies, work and attempts at a social life, playing guitar has just had to take a backseat, not that I was ever that serious or studious at it anyways.

That's sad, I couldn't stand myself without a guitar.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2013-07-21 09:21:50

What about my tapping? Is it any good?

BBS Signature