00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

gabmaster5 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Icon Mod Crew

283,440 Views | 3,351 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-12 16:32:34

At 1/12/11 04:09 PM, Heinrich wrote: Haven't heard back from him yet for either.

Considering the excellent photoshop images you've posted on the BBS, I sure hope to see you on board for the icon mod team. The quality of the icons I've seen from you are top notch!

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-12 17:46:43

Heinrich is now an icon mod!!!

Browsing the staging server collections, one massive void of missing icons is in the video game parody collections. If you go one by one through each collection, some submissions have icons but most don't. If anyone wants to call dibs, here are some that could be tackled:

http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/bio shock
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/cas tlevania
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/chr onotrigger
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/cou nterstrike
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/doo m
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/dou bledragon
http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/ear thbound

Also it would be a good time to have Genre Mod access to add related tags. Tags for these would look like the names in the URL, such as "chronotrigger" and "doubledragon"

If you are an icon mod who needs genre mod access, PM me. Also if you are someone who would love to tackle tons of sprite movies but isn't yet an icon mod, PM me with an example thumbnail you made!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-12 17:50:57

At 1/12/11 05:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/bio shock

Dibs on the Bioshock collection. Also welcome to the team Heinrich!

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-12 17:51:27

Welcome aboard Heinrich!

At 1/12/11 05:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: Also it would be a good time to have Genre Mod access to add related tags. Tags for these would look like the names in the URL, such as "chronotrigger" and "doubledragon"

I already did most of the video game parodies for genres and tags but there's some I skipped because I want to play the games first. As a result, I skipped Castlevania, Earthbound, Monkey Island and Phoenix Wrong. Hopefully someone else is willing to cover those collection pages.

Also, I know this is the icon mod crew but when you said Chrono Trigger flashes should be tagged as "chronotrigger", I actually tagged them as "chrono" ages ago considering the other Chrono title was named Chrono Cross.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-12 22:10:00

At 1/12/11 05:51 PM, Bahamut wrote: Also, I know this is the icon mod crew but when you said Chrono Trigger flashes should be tagged as "chronotrigger", I actually tagged them as "chrono" ages ago considering the other Chrono title was named Chrono Cross.

Good call with "chrono" - they could also be tagged with both "chrono" and the specific game the movie is based on. I've been going through the collections and updating them with the most recommended submissions. I've been tagging and setting genre info on THOSE submissions, I'll have to do a run-through eventually of the submissions that were already in each collection.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-13 10:08:10

Hello.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-13 12:28:52

At 1/12/11 05:51 PM, Bahamut wrote: I already did most of the video game parodies for genres and tags but there's some I skipped because I want to play the games first. As a result, I skipped Castlevania, Earthbound, Monkey Island and Phoenix Wrong. Hopefully someone else is willing to cover those collection pages.

I went through and updated the genre info and tags for Castlevania, Earthbound, Monkey Island and Phoenix Wrong. It's possible that all the submissions in the game parody collections now have proper genre and tag info, but everyone should stay on the lookout just in case! I haven't addressed any thumbnails yet so any help with those is MUCH APPRECIATED.

And THANK YOU Bahamut for the insane amount of submissions you already updated with genre and tag info! Ultimately collections will live or die on their tags.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-13 14:20:48

Something worth discussion... Some acronyms are commonly associated with specific games, such as "wow" being known for World of Warcraft. However, I'm thinking that over time, there will likely be conflicts with unrelated items sharing the same acronyms. Because of this, I'm thinking it may be best to avoid acronyms when possible and simply type in the full phase. So examples would include:

wow becomes worldofwarcraft
rcr becomes rivercityransom
ssb becomes supersmashbros

Having the full phrase may also make the tag stand out more to end users who see it on the view page. It might also get picked up better by search engines, although without spaces between the words it is unlikely.

Any thoughts? I can update existing collections, just want to see if this sounds like a good rule moving forward.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-13 18:07:15

At 1/13/11 02:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Any thoughts? I can update existing collections, just want to see if this sounds like a good rule moving forward.

I hope you don't mine me moving this conversation to the genre mod crew so the genre mods will see this discussion. I know some genre mods who aren't icon mods and they're not likely to check up on this thread as a result.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 10:54:58

At 1/13/11 06:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: I hope you don't mine me moving this conversation to the genre mod crew so the genre mods will see this discussion. I know some genre mods who aren't icon mods and they're not likely to check up on this thread as a result.

Doi I meant to post it there, sorry about that. :)

Unrelated new topic:

I made a post in General looking for people who would want to become icon mods and take on individual game collections. If anyone here wants to call dibs on a game collection (Mario, Sonic, etc.), let me know... Otherwise there are still a lot of series pages that could use thumbnails as well! It really comes down to what you feel the most excited to make icons for. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 11:09:08

I'm going to call dibs on Earthbound. I'm a huge fan and I think I can knock them out pretty quick.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 11:50:30

At 1/14/11 11:09 AM, reverend wrote: I'm going to call dibs on Earthbound. I'm a huge fan and I think I can knock them out pretty quick.

Ok! It looks like the entire original set was done by another icon mod in the past, but I added another 20-30+ this week and they probably don't have icons.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 13:30:46

Hello icon mods, name's ArtDanVal and I'm thinking of joining the ranks here to lend a handtowards helping everything get in order for the re-design. My only artistic credentials are some amateur works in the Newgrounds Sig Makers, using GIMP and MS Paint as my main image processing executables.

I also worked on a few Flash icons back in late 2007 - many of mine were good enough to be chosen to represent the submissions and I was also able to complete them in large quantities (>40-ish icons in an hour) at any time. Please allow me to help out for a change, I am willing to commit to this task for as long as it is necessary.

So, what do you have to say about that?

Take care of yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 17:11:52

I just finished the Street Fighter collection, I may do another collection tomorrow as well.

So. Many. Hadokens.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 22:26:45

We've got a couple of new icon mods. MikeyS, Narcissy, and I believe ChrisLovejoy will be modded soon. Welcome to the Team.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-14 23:38:36

At 1/14/11 11:29 PM, Heinrich wrote:
At 1/14/11 10:26 PM, Jolly wrote: We've got a couple of new icon mods. MikeyS, Narcissy, and I believe ChrisLovejoy will be modded soon. Welcome to the Team.
Bonus! The more the merrier!

Accept me into your tribe of unlawful holymen.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 01:42:42

At 1/14/11 10:26 PM, Jolly wrote: We've got a couple of new icon mods. MikeyS, Narcissy, and I believe ChrisLovejoy will be modded soon. Welcome to the Team.

You forgot me.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 02:20:18

At 1/14/11 07:09 PM, WeirdAlthe3rd wrote: Sorry Reverend. Most of them was done by me.

So I see. Hey, as long as it's getting done, it's all good.
I finished what was recently added.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 05:10:59

At 1/13/11 02:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: Any thoughts? I can update existing collections, just want to see if this sounds like a good rule moving forward.

I like this idea myself, it will assuredly help users and search engine results if commonly-associated acronyms were used as means to tag submissions.

As for my end of the day report, the following has been noted:
*The first forty pages of the keyword 'action' when looking through the search engine have been amended and there are no submissions which have the default thumbnail as their icon anymore.

However, I did not check the submissions which do already have icons, but I did check all of a user's submissions when I came across a default thumbnail to see if I could fill the rest out.

*Games featured on the Action games page that did not have new icons were given one.
*Coinciding with the latter note, I also gave all Flash authors who have a game featured on the noted page and <5 other submissions new icons for their other works.
*I have compiled a list of featured authors who are in great need of new icons for their submissions. : I don't know what the skinny is for pointing these out to other icon mods, but if anyone here needs some pointing out, I'll gladly reveal them through a PM.

I guess it was a pretty good first day, I'll probably tackle some other category at a later time. I don't know what specific collection I want to make a stake on, so I'll probably just go through each one in alphabetical order and try to pick up the slack laying around.

Looks like my next stop will be in Adult Features - I'll be rather surprised if no one else has taken this task yet. I'd say it is critically important that these are fixed up for the update, as many users and outside traffic enjoy the more mature content that is available on Newgrounds.

Take care of yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 20:29:24

Making my first icons in a while.

I miss citric's site.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 20:35:05

At 1/15/11 08:29 PM, Archawn wrote: I miss citric's site.

So do I. Also, I really should do some icons. It's been a while.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-15 22:50:51

As do I friend. Since his site has been gone I have to resort to using the random flash entry button and making icons. I haven't been doing much icons lately cause of lots of school and trying not to fail a grade.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-16 09:59:26

At 1/15/11 10:50 PM, Domo wrote:
As do I friend. Since his site has been gone I have to resort to using the random flash entry button and making icons. I haven't been doing much icons lately cause of lots of school and trying not to fail a grade.

With the m00d.net site it would take me about ten minutes for 7-12 icons, but now it takes a good five minutes to even find submissions to create icons for.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-16 10:05:45

fu

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-16 11:26:08

Why didn't I take the meet an opportunity to ask him about the icon mods site? Ah well, we can always send him a PM and see what he thinks. I'll admit, I've been AWOL from icon modding for a long time now but the recent activity from others is giving me some energy again.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-17 13:41:13

At 1/17/11 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: http://aghostlycobra.newgrounds.com/flas hicons

Dibs on this one. Let's see if I can come back to life for icon/genre modding tonight.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-17 14:23:25

At 1/17/11 01:38 PM, TomFulp wrote: http://kasamui.newgrounds.com/flashicons
http://origaminugget.newgrounds.com/flas hicons
http://methlodis.newgrounds.com/flashico ns

I'll take these three.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-17 14:43:10

So, I heard this is where the cool kids hangout. Is that so?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2011-01-17 14:54:49

http://ansel.newgrounds.com/flashicons

I'll take care of these.