00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

amelia-squealia just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wondrous Waves

505 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wondrous Waves 2010-04-13 17:38:44

This just a very short story that I wrote for school. Tell me what you think!

Wondrous Waves

"Billy, stay where I can see you!"
"Okay, Mom." The young boy replied.
"I swear if you drown, I don't know what I'll do."

His mother --a middle aged woman with brown hair that lost its youthful luster and a wrinkled, nervous face-- always became melodramatic at the beach. Though, in reality there was nothing to fear. Billy Walker had known how to swim for several years and when he visited the pool at one of his friends' houses, he flourished and often defeated his pals in aquatic races. But, Mrs. Walker disregarded his victories in the pool. This is different, she thought to herself. This is the ocean, a wild whirlpool of water. And didn't I just read about that poor boy in Texas who drowned?

"I'll be fine, mom."
"Wait, one more thing-
"Mom, I put on sunscreen!"
"No, I love you", she said as a motherly kiss flew from her loving lips.

The salty smell of the sea engulfed Billy's nostrils and he could taste the ocean in his mouth as he neared towards it. Closer now, the curious waves gently patted his feet, which started sinking in the sparkling sand with every step he took. Finally, he was inches from enormous, but peaceful ocean. And with one exuberant leap, he was submerged in the chilly water. What a feeling that was!

The cool, but not freezing sensation rejuvenated him. Water tickled his body and drenched his light brown hair as he swam around joyfully. He continued playing in the tremendous pool for quite some time, enough time for the waves to turn hostile. But, he didn't realize it. The change was gradual and he was enjoying the heavier waves splashing against him, so when an unusually large uprising emerged, he failed to notice. The unyielding undulation attacked the unaware child furiously and Billy fell down, defeated.

Having viewed the incident from afar, his mother dashed to her fallen son, who had washed up on the shore. As she approached him, he spit sea water from his mouth and slowly began to rise. He staggered upward and tried to regain balance, but failed and again collapsed onto the sand. Mrs. Walker put her hand out, but he refused. With all the strength he could muster, Billy lifted himself up and he, still soaked, jumped into his mother's tender arms.

"Billy, are you okay! I started panicking when I saw you go under!" His mother wailed franticly.
"That was awesome!" He answered as he headed back to the ocean to settle his score with the waves.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Wondrous Waves 2010-04-13 17:43:44

At 4/13/10 05:38 PM, Dubbi wrote: This just a very short story that I wrote for school. Tell me what you think!

Wondrous Waves

"Billy, stay where I can see you!"
"Okay, Mom." The young boy replied.

Is "the young boy" needed? To me it's assumed unless stated otherwise.

"I swear if you drown, I don't know what I'll do."

His mother --a middle aged woman with brown hair that lost its youthful luster and a wrinkled, nervous face-- always became melodramatic at the beach. Though, in reality there was nothing to fear. Billy Walker had known how to swim for several years and when he visited the pool at one of his friends' houses, he flourished and often defeated his pals in aquatic races. But, Mrs. Walker disregarded his victories in the pool. This is different, she thought to herself. This is the ocean, a wild whirlpool of water. And didn't I just read about that poor boy in Texas who drowned?

"I'll be fine, mom."
"Wait, one more thing-
"Mom, I put on sunscreen!"
"No, I love you", she said as a motherly kiss flew from her loving lips.

The salty smell of the sea engulfed Billy's nostrils and he could taste the ocean in his mouth as he neared towards it. Closer now, the curious waves gently patted his feet, which started sinking in the sparkling sand with every step he took. Finally, he was inches from enormous, but peaceful ocean. And with one exuberant leap, he was submerged in the chilly water. What a feeling that was!

The cool, but not freezing sensation rejuvenated him. Water tickled his body and drenched his light brown hair as he swam around joyfully. He continued playing in the tremendous pool for quite some time, enough time for the waves to turn hostile. But, he didn't realize it. The change was gradual

Yet your writing it as if it was a sudden change. Ease the words into an eased change. Though it could be argued that to the kid it was sudden...I would still consider revision.

A nice little story. Perhaps some of the wording was too much for it, but it was nice.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Wondrous Waves 2010-04-15 16:35:26

I know this story wasn't that great, but I wouldn't mind a bit more feedback...

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Wondrous Waves 2010-04-15 17:15:06

Closer now, the curious waves gently patted his feet, which started sinking in the sparkling sand with every step he took. Finally, he was inches from enormous, but peaceful ocean. And with one exuberant leap, he was submerged in the chilly water. What a feeling that was!

This was good, everything else was okay too. Maybe try using less descriptive words (i.e. we all know sand sparkles, we all know the ocean is enormous)...

~napkin smile!

BBS Signature

Response to Wondrous Waves 2010-04-17 14:17:07

At 4/15/10 05:15 PM, keioss01 wrote:
This was good, everything else was okay too. Maybe try using less descriptive words (i.e. we all know sand sparkles, we all know the ocean is enormous)...

Thanks, maybe I went a bit overboard.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature