00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RPTaff-Graphics just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy

728 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-06 21:53:48

Prompt: Dark fantasy
Deadline: April 13
Contestants: Shortmonkey and funnyhomeboy
Voting shall begin after both entries are submitted and will last 2 days. If there are less than 3 votes cast at that time then voting shall be extended to meet that requirement.
------------------------

The prompt this time is Dark Fantasy, a favorite of mine. Basically it's sort of a horror / fantasy mix. If you are having trouble, reading the stories of H.P Lovecraft, Neil Gaiman, or Clive Barker could be a source of inspiration. A decent balance between horror and fantasy is encouraged.

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-12 16:43:36

Oh crap!

*Looks at deadline*

Whew, okay, I'll finish on what I have either tonight or tomorrow.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-12 21:36:24

As per request, deadline is being extended for 2 days.

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-14 18:14:40

After watching a clip of Hellraiser, I know where my story's gonna go. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it soon. I've been procrastinating way too much these days.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-15 10:22:49

Less than 12 hours to post yer stories as per the new deadline.

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-15 15:12:18

Well then, I have one word to say.

Crap.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-15 23:46:37

Having offered another extension to both parties, I only got 1 response for agreement, meaning I don't even know if the second party is willing to continue. I'm going to have to scrap this, and mark both with a loss. Apologies to funnyhomeboy who did express interest in putting something up.

You can still post the story though.

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-15 23:52:50

FFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

It's like a teacher tells me that I can't take a test, and will give me no credit for it, yet encourages me to do it anyway.

-_- I'm a little miffed, but I'll try to produce SOMETHING.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-15 23:58:03

Tell ya what, get something up by Sunday at noon, and I won't put you down for a loss. If Shortmonkey sees this that's his deadline. Any later than that, loss. Final word.

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-18 19:22:22

FML. Right once I get the extension, I suddenly get plans that we are going out of state for the weekend. Fantastic.

Well...I guess I'll just give you the cut-and-dry plot of what I was going to submit.

Well, what my story was going to be was that a man named Lirale sits in a bar, where he finds a hooded minstrel telling a tale of a man of pure and golden heart who was decieved by a woman whom he loved most. His love was a trecherous witch, and stole his own heart and condemned him to live forever as a walking, heartless, corpse, to be disregarded as filth and hideousness.

Lirale then proceeds to buy a gin from the bartender, where then the hooded minstrel sits beside him.

They converse with each other, they chat about the crime in the large city they are in, and the hooded minstrel leaves him with that "Those who are cast in the greatest shadow reflect the greatest light, and those who are given the greatest light cast the greatest shadow."

The hooded minstrel then leaves after drinking the last of his gin and Lirale follows him in curiosity, only to find that he disappears from view.

Later in the night, Lirale begins to make his way to a neighboring portside town, where he then sees the hooded minstrel being mugged by a highway man. Lirale rushes in to aid the man, and in the fray the highway man takes out a dagger and pierces Lirale's heart, leaving him in a near death state.

The hooded minstrel then releases his cloak to show a mangled and skeleton-like visage and proceeds to dismember the highway man. After literally ripping the man to pieces, he takes a serrated dagger and cuts out the mans heart as well as Lirale's.

Using his own demonic powers, he puts the highway's heart inside of Lirale's, giving life back to Lirale. He tells Lirale that he was the pure hearted man, and his old features return to their previous state, due to Lirale's sacrifice of his own life for that of the minstrel's. He states that Lirale's selfless sacrifice for a man who had been so vile had reversed the spell that had been cast upon him, for there was another man in the hate-infested world that also had a pure heart.

He smiles faintly as his years of age begin to come at him instantly, and soon he turns to dust. Lirale, stunned at the turn of events, uncovers the cloak that the man had worn to find a golden heart surrounded in a heap of dust. On it, it reads, "A body soon turns to dust, but the actions that formed it last eternal."

Lirale takes the heart and gives it to a homeless child he meets along the road. A gift, that may in turn through the actions of the boy, shape the lives of many generations to come.

"Maybe then the world can see a brighter day," says Lirale as he walks off into the coming daybreak.

As I said, it was really all a matter of time, but the extension really proved to be useless, but I couldn't let this just be an idea, so I think I'll leave it here so maybe I can add onto this story in the future.

I'm sad that I wasn't able to finish it, and I'll understand if you count it as a loss.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to ShortMonkey vs. funnyhomeboy 2010-04-18 20:55:19

Well, you put something up, but I am going to have to count a loss for both of you.