00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

stringbeanmachine just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Games storylines.

912 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Games storylines. 2010-04-02 23:39:00

Is it me or are game story-lines declining in quality as gameplay quality raises. I have played very few games that achieve a perfect balance between these two aspects. For example, fallout 3, wonderful gameplay and world, shit storyline that seemed like it was thought up in 30 seconds.

Heavy rain, masterful story telling, but had to completely ditch quality gameplay to get it. What do you guys think?

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 00:16:03

Personally I think it depends on the game. Overall I feel like gaming is on the decline, and most games are just dumbed down to where its a pushover, even on hard mode. Then again, this is coming from someone who grew up on the old 8-big megaman games, and does buster only runs of them. I haven't played a really really challenging new game since... I'd have to say... hmm I can't even remember...

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 00:20:04

If I was so worried about storylines, I'd read a book.

Seriously, I recommend Battle Royale. Great read.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 00:26:42

Nobody plays MGS for it's gameplay. Nobody plays Mario for its story. It really depends on the game.

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 00:39:44

Sorry for double post, but Metroid seems to be the only series with a perfect balance between story and gameplay.

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 00:43:41

At 4/2/10 11:51 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Thank you for invalidating any opinions you have on video games with that 1 post.

Please clarify or i'll just dismiss that as an attempt to insult me.

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 06:43:36

There are many games with both great gameplay and great story, it just depends on your personal preferences.

PSN Id: Kenzuke

This is my signature. Boring, right?

Check out my blog

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 07:05:23

Bioware and Valve still make decent storylines I suppose.

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 09:13:19

Both DragonAge and Mass Effect had excellent stories. And in my opinion, excellent gameplay as well.
See that's the big fucking kick in the pants right there. People have opinions that vary wildly from person to person. Example, I don't think the Fallout3 storyline was that bad. I rather enjoyed it. You obviously didn't.

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 10:00:57

GTA IV nuff said.

2nd on | PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: BogKid | Never try, never fail...

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 12:15:14

yeah, it was like that in Super Mario 64 DS! I started the game, it was awesome. THAN I realized... there was no storyline that was cool. they dont even tell us why you have to collect power stars!

Games storylines.

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 12:24:03

At 4/3/10 12:04 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote:
At 4/3/10 12:43 AM, Xgsniper wrote:
At 4/2/10 11:51 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Thank you for invalidating any opinions you have on video games with that 1 post.
Calling Fallout 3's story shit and Heavy rain's gameplay shit invalidates any opinions you have.

Fallout 3 had a completely generic storyline. "I've got to find my dad, he should be over at that town. I was too late, he left now he's somewhere else where i'll be too late to find him." Rinse and repeat until you finally get to him but like anyone familiar with tired story-lines, he dies shortly after you catch up with him after he has you doing chores that place you in a position unable to help him.

Heavy rain was all about story, i said the game play was ditched to get it. The whole thing is just a series of button presses, that doesn't really qualify as great gameplay at all. Oh and to point out the obvious, only facts can be invalid, opinions are completely controversial, you idiot. If anything is invalid it is your ability to see that your opinions are not the center of the world.

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 13:22:59

They make games so they will be enjoyed by the people playing, sadly in recent years brainless fools like to go around yelling headshot every 5 seconds and even when they have no story at all in the games they don't notice the difference.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 15:38:03

Calling Fallout 3's story shit and Heavy rain's gameplay shit invalidates any opinions you have.
Fallout 3 had a completely generic storyline. "I've got to find my dad, he should be over at that town. I was too late, he left now he's somewhere else where i'll be too late to find him." Rinse and repeat until you finally get to him but like anyone familiar with tired story-lines, he dies shortly after you catch up with him after he has you doing chores that place you in a position unable to help him.

Heavy rain was all about story, i said the game play was ditched to get it. The whole thing is just a series of button presses, that doesn't really qualify as great gameplay at all. Oh and to point out the obvious, only facts can be invalid, opinions are completely controversial, you idiot. If anything is invalid it is your ability to see that your opinions are not the center of the world.
Yeah, the first part of the fallout plot might be generic, finding a runaway dad, except for 1 thing: The world is a nuclear wasteland where 90% of the worlds population is dead.

Also, Heavy Rain actually has refreshing gameplay, instead of PRESS BUTTON WINRAR

Last time i checked, setting and storyline are two different things. I don't know which Heavy rain you played but for me it was just a series of button presses to get back to the immersive story i don't understand how button presses are "Refreshing".

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 16:49:58

Well i gotta say MGS had great gameplay and storyline

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-03 17:12:59

At 4/3/10 12:04 PM, Im-A-Pirate wrote: Calling Fallout 3's story shit and Heavy rain's gameplay shit invalidates any opinions you have.

Making an idiotic statement like this really invalidates any opinions you have.

Different people have different opinions, man. Just because somebody doesn't share your oh-so-impeccable taste, does not mean that their opinion is 'invalidated'.

Acting like an idiot, however, really makes people think that you're an idiot.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-04 09:00:49

when i think about buying games, story line is the most important to me.
then comes the gameplay.

if both is very good then the game is a instant buy =D

but of course, there is games i buy for gameplay only to. like any Super Mario game, Mirrors Edge and Left 4 Dead 2.

Story wise, my favorite games must be Metal Gear Solid and Kingdom Hearts. really good plots in both each game and tied together. many characters, many backstories, lots of confusion...

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-04 11:26:41

GTA 4 storyline = amazing. feels like being in a maffia movie.

Cod4 + Mw2 single player storyline = gameplay can be annoying with npc's popping up and LULZSPRAYUDIE!! but the story is superb , again it feels like being in a movie :p a spy / war movie!

seems like game developers aim for a hollywoodish game nowadays ( except for Japan tho.. )

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-12 06:00:22

Come on! Does it matter? Not really. Mario has never had a good storyline. I mean what are games about eh? Its about gameplay! Though a good story makes it better.

GO WEEGEE! :)

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-12 06:14:12

Good example to show you're wrong is BRAID!

- Braid has an AWESOME story and awesome gameplay.
- Heavy rain had an awesome story and the gameplay suited, you really don't expect different mechanics for the story they were portraying do you? What did you want them to do? The controls felt good, the game play was immersive and thats all it needed to do.
- Portal, though this would be very debatable.
- Monkey Island (series)
- Psychonauts
- GUN, personally I loved the story and the gameplay was average.
- Legacy of Kain
- Fable (original!)
- Neverwinter Nights

Just my opinion, those games all had great gameplay backed up by a great story. Though BRAID tops the list (everything else is in no particular order).

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-12 06:39:00

At 4/2/10 11:39 PM, Xgsniper wrote:
Heavy rain, masterful story telling, but had to completely ditch quality gameplay to get it. What do you guys think?

I liked its story, but the gameplay was great for it. It just woudn't have been the same if it was somewhere along the lines of an FPS. And of course, the game STEMs from Indigo Prophecy. Which, even with the Mayans, had a great story.

BBS Signature

Response to Games storylines. 2010-04-12 07:40:55

The thing about Fallout is that you're not really supposed to value the story so much, it's very sparse because it's designed to be very open to interpretation and different gameplay-style. Like, it's an RPG to the bone, it's designed so that you're the one who makes your own stories within the game with how you use people and how you respond to actions etc.

But looking at it, it's a crap system. It's like making an action movie where a guy goes to this building, has a shootout and at the top shoots the head honcho and saves a woman. The plot is extremely minimal, and it's only used to tie the settings and objectives and shit together within the movie, it's throwaway drivel. I don't like it. That's why I'm loving FF13 because the writers designed it so that you'd get lost in a fantasy land seeing the tale of a bunch of guys progress and unfold, same goes to GTA, Dragon Age and MGS. These games are all about immersing yourself in someone else's tale and enjoying the steps you take to get to the end. If the game tries to make you tell the story yourself, not much attachment to characters and the plot is there, d'you know what I mean. All my people right here right now, d'you know what I mean? Yeah. I thought so.