00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JoJoshke just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Imperator's Musings

699 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Imperator's Musings 2010-03-08 21:32:23

The long awaited moment, Imperator is ready to sample what he dishes. I'll throw my stories and ramblings on here, feel free to go no holds barred.

Like throwing sheep to wolves, I decided to simply castrate myself from the get-go, here's a poem:

Illiterate Alliteration as an Ode to the Optimal Audacity of Negativity.

Do not dismiss the simplicity of my pessimistic statements,
As history shows times so suddenly change.
They cause the scramble of such peoples to scurry and scour the sands,
In search of solutions.

But fear not, for often change is soft,
With not a hint of swift and violent transformations.
And should you find yourself faltering on the face of such ferocious reformation,
Forgo the formalities of saving face and find comfort in Finagle's Law.

For the few who helped themselves to have plans and hold doubts,
Heartily holding true to the heavy realization of who has power in such situations,
They know like never before that now the needs of those optimists are numerous;
Not the naysayers who knew Fortune's mischief,
And incessantly succumbed to sensing future's follies,
For they,
So wisely....

...Planned ahead.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

PM me for preferential Writing Forum review treatment.

See my NG page for a regularly updated list of works I will review.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-03-08 22:27:01

If it looks like I'm taking liberty with the rules of poetry you'd be wrong.....I'm not taking liberty so much as bumbling through my own poetic ignorance and purposely ignoring the few rules I do know.

Spring:

The icy winds of Winter,
Seem less absurdly bitter;
As the sun shines majestically,
It melts my many miseries,
And Spring draws steadily near.

Like great powers locked in combat,
The clash of seasons cries incessant;
The air keeps cautiously crisp,
Yet crimson rays insist,
That there is little reason to fear.

Still telling me at night,
That this does not seem quite right,
My mind takes clever notice;
The usual weather for March is
A canvas equally white and frozen.

Light winds restlessly flow,
Letting me know it is only a show.
For although Spring lists closely today,
It will soon fly away,
And frost will still slip its nose in.

Because as a measure of time,
Winter is still directly in line.
Although it is nice out today,
To everyone's dismay
It is clear that admittedly Spring is not here.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-03-09 16:13:58

Your imagery is quite good; and so is your form and flow, although to a lesser extent.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-03-09 17:06:31

At 3/8/10 10:27 PM, Imperator wrote: If it looks like I'm taking liberty with the rules of poetry you'd be wrong.....I'm not taking liberty so much as bumbling through my own poetic ignorance and purposely ignoring the few rules I do know.

Wait... there are rules?

Shit.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-03-31 21:11:04

Well this one isn't turning out exactly as planned, but whatever. Hits away! Here's part 1 of a short work in progress, 2nd draft.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

The Artifact, Chapter 1

"Good enough!". Professor Figsworth finished a crucial part of his research. After three days of laboring, practically without break. Exhausted, he put his pend down, and felt a sudden sharp pain in his stomach. "Huh....when did I last eat now?", he pondered, rubbing his midsection as he got up from the desk.

It was not uncommon for Alex Figsworth to find himself emerging from his small office in the basement of the library hungry, having shut himself from the outside world and all the distractions that would interrupt his work. Alex was stubborn in that way, and when an object captured his attention, he saw the work done, no matter how long it took. He checked the clock on the wall. It was 8. he gathered his belongings and turned off the light on his way out of the office, wondering whether it was time for breakfast or dinner. No way to tell until he got outside again.

As he traversed through the stacks of books, Alex mulled over how the next few days would proceed. He would present his findings to the board, and they would grant him nothing. His work was not the focus of the department, they would say, so he would not be granted any funds he requested. Alex picked up his pace as he stepped agitatedly outside into the night sky. Years of service, and he had nothing to show for it. Other researchers got the grants, and Alex was something of an outcast in his own department.

Instead he invested his own funds, his life savings, into the projects he obsessed over day in and day out. The projects that went beyond the scope of the department, beyond the intelligence of those nitwits who mocked him. All he needed was the money to propel him to the top. One solution for his troubles, and Alex knew what it was. The one artifact everyone in his department craved to discover; a mysterious vase known as the "Thanatos Vase". It would be the crowing achievement of his career. Alex spent hours deducing theories to its location, and thousands on excavating the areas. He longed to discover it more than anything else in the world.

"Then they will see," he said as he neared the door to his apartment.

"They say I am distorting evidence to fit an 'obsolete theory.' " He spoke the last words with a sinister vehemence as he turned the door knob.

"They say I'm an archaic fossil from the past generation, buried in my own quest for a white whale. BAH! When I find the vase, I will become more prestigious than they could ever imagine. Then they will treat me with the respect I deserve, and those who mock me will pay dearly".

The next day flew for Alex, like many. He hastily greeted the people in his department, carried out his administrative tasks, let his classes out early, and rushed to his basement office to begin work on his special projects, as always. Something put pepper in his step though, and Alex could not shake the feeling today would be a remarkable day.

He engrossed himself on his projects for hours. Suddenly, his phone rang, piercing the silence in the room and causing Alex to nearly fall backwards out of his chair.

"Yes?" Alex said gruffly, not welcoming the interruption.

"Professor Farnsworth, I believe I have something for you here, down at the the depository", said the voice on the other line. It was a deep voice, but smooth and not unfriendly.

"It's Figsworth, actually. What is it you've found?"

"Something you have to see for yourself to believe. Perhaps you should come on down here, and while you're on your way, ask yourself what is the one thing you desire the most, Professor Farnsworth."

"It's Figsworth, and who is this?"

"Come down and we'll talk. See you soon."

Click. The man on the other end hung up, leaving a perplexed Figsworth holding the receiver, listening to the dial tone. Just who the hell was that? Couldn't even get his name right. Alex's temper flared up over the insult. Too many people had trouble remembering him, and this was the last straw. No more! He hung up the phone and started gathering his things. He would go down there and straighten out whoever was toying with him.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-04-03 21:33:01

I read your story and it was pretty good, but it still had a few flaws. In the beginning you wrote, "pend" when it should be, "pen", but that's just a minor mistake. Your writing is quite good and your diverse assortment of verbs enhance the story and the action. Though, this could just be me, but I think it'd be better in first person. Also, I think the plot's going by a bit too fast, you announce the vase pretty much out of nowhere; I'd prefer some subtlety. Anyway, I did enjoy the story and the main character is very interesting. I'll be looking foward to part 2!

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-04-08 23:51:51

At 4/3/10 09:33 PM, Dubbi wrote: I read your story and it was pretty good, but it still had a few flaws. In the beginning you wrote, "pend" when it should be, "pen", but that's just a minor mistake. Your writing is quite good and your diverse assortment of verbs enhance the story and the action. Though, this could just be me, but I think it'd be better in first person. Also, I think the plot's going by a bit too fast, you announce the vase pretty much out of nowhere; I'd prefer some subtlety. Anyway, I did enjoy the story and the main character is very interesting. I'll be looking foward to part 2!

Danke sehr!
It's funny you mention the pace, because I was actually worried about the complete opposite happening. As I was writing, I felt I was giving too much detail and not moving the story fast enough. Perhaps I just overcompensated.... ;)

Part II on its way, I'm still tweaking it though. I'm gonna try to lengthen out the plot a little bit so plot devices seem less rushed.

My problem with this one was I didn't draft or outline anything before I started writing. So the plot has been taking a lot of turns, delaying Part 2 and 3.

I agree on the first person idea though. Hindsight is 20/20. My first story, so I'm still fleshing out a lot of my writing style, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

My crazy gumshoe space potatoes story is in first person. Got most of the outline done, started working on the first bit. :)

Course, if I wasn't studying Greek, Latin, German, and French, getting prepared for the GREs, and working 30 hrs a week, that might help get more stuff up too.......c'est la vie.....the life of an academic.

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-04-15 13:31:03

Part 2:

Alex coughed, and looked at his dusty surroundings, discontent with waiting for so long. An empty desk and stacks of papers and books scattered all over the floor surrounded by four walls covered in all manner of dents and markings shared his company. Instead of a receptionist, books stacked precipitously high on the chair behind the desk greeted him. He walked toward them, careful to avoid stepping on any of the neglected materials strewn across the carpet. He peered over the books on the chair, reading the titles and authors. They all appeared to be books on the Occult. He turned his attention to the floor. More of the same nonsense.

"Messy, messy, messy", mumbled Figsworth to himself, gazing lazily across the floor.

"You're one to talk. How many papers do you have scattered over your desk doctor?"

Figsworth whipped around to see a short stocky man standing behind him. He had a round face and unassuming features. His dress was reminiscent of a 19th century British explorer on safari and Alex wondered if the man hadn't taken one too many drinks somewhere.

"I don't drink doctor. But let's get right to business; I believe I have an item you want." The mystery man shuffled to his desk and retrieved a wrapped item form the file drawer. Alex's curiosity was peaked, along with his skepticism. What could possibly be worth the trip across town?

"The answer to your dreams, and mine, doctor." With that the stranger unraveled the packaging to reveal the Thanatos Vase, the missing piece in Alexander's career.

His jaw dropped. It was more spectacular than he had ever imagined. Polished obsidian black paint interrupted only by the silver and golden decorations that adorned it. He had read descriptions of the vase, but no words described what he saw. The vase was flawless, it personified the very definition of beauty.

"Oh, Dr. Figsworth, I see in your eyes your fascination with its beauty, it's wonder, it's splendor. You do not know how long I have waited for this day Alex"

Something suddenly occurred to Alex, and he drew his gaze up from his white whale to meet the eyes of his benefactor.

"What do you mean 'you've' waited a long time for this? Just who are you, and how do you know about me?"

"Oh, there is not much to know Alex. May I call you Alex?" the man smiled gently, but there was something pentrative about his gaze Figsworth could not quite place. He nodded affirmation as the man continued.

"My name is Edward, and I have been waiting for someone like you for a long time. You see, I have been in possession of this vase for quite some time now. I was much like you once, and when I received the vase I thought it would solve all my problems. But it came at a price, you see, as I soon came to realize."

"What price? This is the greatest discovery in our time! Anything is worth this", exclaimed Alex, overcome with excitement and the thought that this vase could propel him to the top.

"The Price...is the reward. You may think this vase is just an artifact, but there is a deeper power behind it. It has the power to grant your innermost desires, if that's what you truly want."

"It is! I must have it."

"What is your greatest desire, Dr. Figsworth?"

"To be famous and rich. To be the greatest professor ever, and loved for it!"

"So it will be". With that , Edward passed the vase to Alex.

He finally had it, the artifact he had worked so hard to find. Alex held it gingerly, turning it over in his hand and studying its features. The colors, the pictures seemed to dance, no they did dance. At first Alex thought he was seeing things, but the vase had come to life in his hands, the colors swirling about in animation, and a warm tingling sensation swept over his body.

Edward smiled, took the vase and wrapped it back up.

"Follow the directions I will give you, and your wildest dreams will come true. A word of warning though: Think carefully before you use the vase".

"Incredible", he muttered to himself as he looked up to thank Edward. He saw only the wall of the room. Edward had vanished as quickly and silently as he had appeared. Quiet little bugger. With that, Alex wrapped the vase back up and left, anxious to begin gratifying his ambitious dreams.

Part 3:

The sound of thunderous applause and acclaim rang out in the amphitheater. Alex soaked it in as he stepped back from the podium, his debate finished. He glanced at his defeated opponent, who held his lead low, in shame. It had been 2 weeks since he had been given the vase. He wished for fame,and he wished for admiration. Now, his peers considered him a genius, and he had been giving lectures to thousands. He had finally become the successful professor of his dreams, and felt immensely satisfied. He was finally receiving the recognition he deserved. He made sure of it.

Grabbing the vase, he walked down the aisle to leave the room, passing a multitude of people smiling, patting him on the back, snapping his picture, and shaking his hand. The applause was practically deafening. He entered the hall filled with more people applauding. They rushed around him as he cleared the doors, as he tried to make his way outside.

The people became more pressing. They tore at him, jossled him, pushed, grabbed. His jacket ripped in the melee, and he struggled to hold onto the vase.

"What is happening?" Alex started panicking and running down the hallway leading outside, trying desperately now to escape the hordes of fans. There were two men in front of the door, applauding. They blocked his exit, trying to grab him, talk to him. He shoved them out of the way and burst down the hall. He did not stop running as he made his way outside, and behind him he could hear people coming through the doors after him.

What was going on? The crowd had never been this fervent after a lecture, and he had given at least a dozen since he had the vase. Alex darted down an alley, and ran behind a near by dumpster. He stuck his head around the corner and kept quiet. Two, three, and then a mob of people ran by the alley, shouting, screaming. Some brandished cameras, others pictures of Alex or copies of his book. For all Alex was concerned, they may as well have been wielding pitchforks and torches.

As the last stragglers in the mob went by and the noise faded, Alex let out a sigh and slumped against the dumpster. He tried to collect his thoughts and assess the situation. Was this going to happen more frequently? Was this the drawback of using the vase? Would it get worse? A million questions raced through his head. The vase would answer them.

Alex made it to his car without further incident, only to find Edward leaning casually against his door. A little odd, Alex noticed Edward was still wearing the same outfit as before.

"How does fame treat you, Alex?"

"What the blazes is happening? I was nearly mauled by the crowd today", Alex motioned towards the tears in his jacket and pants.

"Yes, I did warn you about being careful how you used the vase. I'd be wary about where you take it, there are a few people who would love to use it's power for themselves. If I were you, I wouldn't trust anyone."

"You never mentioned that using the vase would turn people violent Edward. You don't think that would have been something to tell me?" Alex replied, heated and feeling hot over the deception.

"A man I know would like the vase. You can give it to me now, or him later, when he comes to visit you. Bottom line Alex, is that the only way to fix your situation is to give up the vase, and with it, everything you've earned because of it".

Alex snorted, "You must be daft! Over my dead body will I relinquish the vase".

Edward's eyes sparkled, "Let us hope it doesn't come to that".

Writing Forum Reviewer.

Response to Imperator's Musings 2010-04-17 14:04:50

Part 2 and 3 were interesting, but a bit confusing. I would have liked a bit more of an explaination of why Edward would have given Alex the vase. Even if Edward has some ulterior motive he could have fabricated an intriguing to tell Alex. The transition from part 2 to 3 was a bit too abrupt. I would have liked to know more about how the vase worked and how Alex became so famous. Also if the vase grants al your wishes, couldn't Alex of just wished for him to escape. Again, your pacing this too fast; I want to see the story develop. I still think this would be much more interesting if it was written in the first person. But, you're doing a decent job nonetheless.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature