00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vilanael just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Black Roses

523 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Black Roses 2010-02-15 18:26:05

Hi guys, I am a writer like you guys. I have written a script for my film making class, and I am interested in hearing your opinions about. I hope to get this movie filmed in early spring and over spring break.

The story is about two girls with chronic problems with boyfriends and parents. Eventually they find solidarity in their friendship, and thus they fall in love with eachother. Is their relationship from their dreadful parents? We they live happily ever after? You'll see.

After you read this, please give me your feedbacks, I highly recommend it. Hope you enjoy me story.

Black_Roses.pdf

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-15 18:27:12

Post it here or post it in your dumping grounds? Please.

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-15 19:43:48

Link doesn't work. Post it as a blog post?

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-24 19:41:49

Sorry for the delay. He is my first excerpts from Black Roses.

INT. AMBER'S ROOM-BED-NIGHT

Amber Lynn is in an excited mood, talking with her friends on the her cell phone. Her conversation revolves around her boyfriend Quentin Tobias, who she's going to the prom with. She also discusses her plans of engagement with him, which she is most eager for.

AMBER
You guys don't know how excited I am for our Prom together!

BETHANY
(through phone)
I already know how excited you are with Quentin.

AMBER
You are quite the mind reader Beth. This will be the first and only time I actually get to go to the 2010 Prom at Capital High. After that, I am going to propose to him.

BETHANY
(through phone)
Don't be thinking about marriage, it is way too early for that.

ETHAN
(through phone)
Plus it's too early to be making babies.

AMBER
Shut the hell up Ethan, I am not going to marry him he's only going to be my fiance.

ETHAN
(through phone)
Before you propose, check to see if he has a quarter-pounder.

AMBER
GO MASTURBATE WORM!

BETHANY
(through phone)
Are you going to be dressed up, everyone else will be doing it.

AMBER
If I'm dressing up, I think it'll be a black dress with black roses on it. Her cell phone is receiving a call from somebody.

AMBER
(Con't)
Hold on guys, it's him. (switches to line) Hey Quentin, what's up?

QUENTIN
(through phone)
Hi Amber, I want to tell you something.

AMBER
Yeah.

QUENTIN
I...I'm sorry I have to do this but..I am breaking up with you.

AMBER
Real funny Quentin, did Ethan tell to tell that to me.

QUENTIN
No, Ethan is not up to his old tricks right now.

AMBER
Let's just drop the dark humor and bring our focus to us. The prom is in one week, we are going to have so much fun

QUENTIN
I'm sure we would.

AMBER
So are you game for it?

QUENTIN
No, I am not game, and we're not going to have fun together. Not anymore, because we are done.

AMBER
What are talking about, this is not funny.

QUENTIN
I'm not joking, Amber...I am just not as straight as I thought I was.

AMBER
Quentin, don't do this to me, it's too close to the prom. What are you trying to do, hit on another girl?!

QUENTIN
I'm sorry, but I'm doing this for our own good. It's over, officially. Good-bye Amber forever.

AMBER
Quentin, what do you mean your not straight?

Quentin hangs up on her.

AMBER
Quentin! Why are you doing this to me! Quentin!

Amber is puzzled by the sudden action of Quentin, and as she froze she switches her phone to the two-way line.

BETHANY
(through phone)
Wow that was fast, was he on a hurry or something?

AMBER
(softly)
Why is he doing this to me?

BETHANY
(through phone)
What happened?

ETHAN
(through phone)
Must have found out he had a tiny package.

Amber remains unresponsive.

BETHANY
(through phone)
Hello? Amber?

ETHAN
(through phone)
Earth to Amber, Earth to Amer can you read me. Bethany we have a problem.

BETHANY
(through phone)
Amber are you still there? What happen to you and Quentin?

ETHAN
(through phone)
Amber come in Amber.

BETHANY
(through phone)
Come on, talk to us Amb...

She hangs up on them for a moment of solemn silence. Her cell phone slips out of her hand onto the bed. She reacts wildly to this discovery and starts tearing her sheets off her bed and beating the stuffing out her pillows. She pulls off all of the sheets until her frustration makes her tired and exhausted. She tilts down on her bed in despair and confusion like a lifeless rag doll with motionless expression.

AMBER
(quietly)
Why is he doing this to me?

Tears flow out of her eyes ruining her mascara.

FADE TO:

EXT. CAPITAL HIGH SCHOOL-BACK BREEZE WAY-EARLY MORNING

Amber walks from the parking in a bitter state, she looks to her surprise to see Quentin with a male.

QUENTIN
(V.O.)
...I am just not as straight as I
though I was.

After realizing what he meant by "not-as-straight", she angrily marches to the couple.

AMBER
Why are you doing this to me?

QUENTIN
Amber, I'm sorry you had to see this. Really awkward right?

AMBER
Why, Quentin, just why do you have to stab me in the back with this fudge-packer.

QUENTIN
Me and Boaz have more things in common than you and I ever had. It is so strange that he is so attractive.

AMBER
Ha ha, I know your going to say it's all just a screwed-up joke.

QUENTIN
This time I am not joking.

AMBER
I'm not buying it, you are not funny.

QUENTIN
I am not trying to be funny. Look Amber, it's over, I have moved on from our relationship.

AMBER
You mean...you never liked me when started dating?

QUENTIN
Used to, but not anymore. My life is with Boaz now.

Quentin and Boaz kiss in front of the heart-torn Amber, who starts to cry in front of this insanity.

AMBER
(Sobbing)
You asses are all the same, all the same!!

She runs away in tears in the science halls, while Quentin and Boaz hold hands in romance.

CUT TO:

INT. COMMONS AREA-LOCKER HALLS-LUNCHTIME-MORNING

Amber sits in front of the locker in a semi-fetal position, sobbing to herself as if she lost a family member. Bethany and Ethan walks to her, and they wonder what to do.

BETHANY
What happened?

AMBER
(Sobbing)
You do not know Beth, it was just tragic.

BETHANY
Was it because of your boyfriend?

AMBER
(Sobbing)
Why else would I be crying?

BETHANY
What did he do?

AMBER
(Sobbing)
Just get Ethan out of here and I'll explain.

BETHANY
Ethan go away for several minutes.

ETHAN
What for?

BETHANY
Because you are annoying, this is a personal moment for us and we expect you to take a hike and not
take any part of this. Got it?

ETHAN
Whatever.

Ethan scrams, Bethany walks to Amber, sits down for
girl-to-girl counseling.

BETHANY
Did he have an affair?

AMBER
Yes.

BETHANY
Who was he hanging out with?

AMBER
(angrily)
His boyfriend.

BETHANY
Boyfriend? You mean he's..

AMBER
(interrupting)
GAY! Yes I know, he'd french-kissed him right in front of me and he doesn't even give a shit!

BETHANY
That's a new one, your previous boyfriends were either a dirt bag ,a perv, a rapist, a serial killer, a psycho nut, but a gay hooker is the latest in the trends of boy loss.

AMBER
What's your advice for boys that I
should go with?

BETHANY
Well, uh...I...I never actually dated with a boy before in my entire life.

AMBER
You mean you don't know.

BETHANY
I'm sure that...

AMBER (interrupting)
Sure of what, how can you be sure if you had no experience with men. You know what, screw you, I'm never dating any boys ever again. I can live a thousand years without boys.

BETHANY
Amber, don't be silly, there is always another boy out there.

AMBER
I have dated about twenty of them, it can't get any harder then that. You try to analyze twenty boys, and come up with nothing in common with them.

BETHANY
So you decide to give up? Being
single is better than anything in the whole wide world. You'd be better off without any boyfriend.

AMBER
Quentin was perfect! Without him I am hopeless and dead. You justdon't know too much about me.

BETHANY
I know your alcoholic drug-head dad. Try living with my control freak mom, she never lets me do anything. I am just going to let you be alone and worthless, but remember we are not different from each other.

Bethany flees to the cafeteria feeling sick and tried of arguing with Amber. Amber looks at her afar not believing what she had just said.

AMBER(Silently)
You wish, Beth.

Amber wallows back into sadness.

To Be Continued...

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-26 20:20:48

Okay this was slightly comical, and not for the right reasons : /

All of the dialogue is wooden. It doesn't sound or read like the way people of their age would talk. I think you need to change the register to make it more natural. Then the characters will seem less artificial and the whole thing should start to improve.

nobody goes there anymore. its too popular.

BBS Signature

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-26 20:42:28

Everything was indeed forced, but not just the dialogue. I know this is a script, but even the limited actions you did describe seem really out of place. For example, you try to set Quentin up as a somewhat likable guy, someone confused by his sexuality. Next scene he's trying to break things as gently as he can and feeling awkward, before suddenly becoming a complete jack-ass and making out with his new lover.

Also, who's Ethan? I could guess Bethany was the best friend, but Ethan just came completely out of no where with no indication of who he was. Amber's brother? Bethany's brother? Bethany's boyfriend? It's just empty. You could have thrown something in with one of the characters to give at least a hint of who he was.

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-27 13:56:06

Ethan is Amber and Bethany best friend who happens to be a goof-ball. His character will develop as the story progresses. Trust me, all the characters will be developed as I post more excerpts here.

Response to Black Roses 2010-02-27 14:32:27

EXT. AMBER'S HOUSE-SAME DAY

Amber walks up to her house, opens the door that's usually unlocked and enters.

CUT TO:

INT. AMBER'S HOUSE-LIVING ROOM-SAME DAY

As Amber walks in she sees her dad watching TV in a half-drunk state of mind. Eating Doritos like a slob, with sticky fingers and has an appearance. like a redneck

CLEM
Where ya been, talkin' to prostitutes again?

Amber tries to ignore him as she tries to control her anger.

CLEM
Huh ho! Are you too pussy to talk about it!

AMBER
I just got back from school dad, and my boyfriend just dumped me for a homo!

CLEM
That's what you get, ho bag! You loose money to them hookers like the rich loose theirs from gypsies.

AMBER
Shut up! You are suppose to be supportive not a jackass! Why don't you just get out of my life!!

Amber runs in rage to her room away from her degenerate father.

CLEM
It's okay to be pussy Amber! It's okay to be a homo too! (Eats a mouthful of Doritos like a redneck)

CUT TO:

INT. AMBER'S ROOM-SAME DAY

Amber bursts into her room, slams the door, and begins to tear up her room. Messing up her bed, PULLING off all the sheets, RIPPING the pillow to two, breaking her lamp, PUNCHING two holes in her wall, SPILLING her glass of water to the ground, etc. After her nervous breakdown, she lays on her floor in a fetal-position sobbing in increasing frustration. She finally gives up dating, and becomes a reclusive person in midst of her destroyed room.

AMBER
(to herself)
The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want, he maketh me to lie down in green pastures, he leadth besides the still waters, he restoreth my soul, he leadth down the path of righteousness for his name sakes, yea though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil: for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me, thou preparest a table before in the presence of mind enemies, thou anointest my head with oil, my cup runth over, surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the lord forever.

CUT TO:

EXT. BETHANY'S HOUSE-SAME DAY

CUT TO:

INT. BETHANY'S ROOM-SAME DAY
Bethany sits on her bed concerned about being lonely and Amber's problem. She grows more and more agitated through contemplation. Desperately, she jumps out of her bed rushes to have a serious talk with her mother.

CUT TO:

INT. BETHANY'S HOUSE-DINING ROOM-SAME DAY

Bethany marches to her mother who is stiffly taking a sip of green tea.

BETHANY
Mother, don't you think I'm old enough to date someone.

LUCIENNE
Absolutely not! You are better off single, and no one shall tell you any different.

BETHANY
I don't want to be single anymore, I want to be independent. I promise to not have any sex until I'm married.

LUCIENNE
Sweety, I don't care. I am not going to let anyone dirty get to you, and I am going to keep you cozy and clean. You are the only one I have and that's an order.

BETHANY
We need to reproduce mom, isn't that what you want your daughter to do for our heritage.

LUCIENNE
Your not one of those people honey, we'll let someone else do that for us.

BETHANY
It is nature for us to repopulate, that's in your blood and my blood as well.

LUCIENNE
Do not talk back to me Bethany! You will heed my words and stay true to those words.

BETHANY
My friend Amber has had many experience with boys, and now she's depressed because her boyfriend cheated her over a gay guy.

LUCIENNE
You see, she brings about trouble. She should know better then hanging out with them filthy boys, and she is a bad example to your health.

BETHANY
She is a good example mom, she just needs help. But I can't help her because I never dated any boys in my entire life because of you.

LUCIENNE
She doesn't need help, she can just suffer for all the bad things she has done.

BETHANY
Like what, you don't know her. You never even met her yet.

LUCIENNE
What I say goes sweety.

BETHANY
Bullcrap mom.

LUCIENNE
WHAT I say, GOES!

BETHANY
Why do I even bother! She marches to her room in defeat, and her mother smiles and SIPS her green tea.

CUT TO:

INT. BETHANY'S ROOM-SAME DAY

Bethany marches into her room, and falls on her bed. She weeps in sudden tears and decides it is all hopeless.

BETHANY
All my life created through mom, I am nobody because of her. I guess I'm single for life. Not too bad right?

CUT TO:

EXT.CAPITAL HIGH-COURTYARD-EVENING

Amber walks wondrously in the courtyard in Capital High School, looking for her boyfriend Quentin.

AMBER
Quentin! Quentin!

QUENTIN
You just don't give up. Still thinking about me, even if I just broke up with you.

AMBER
I still don't know why you cheated on me, but I need you.

QUENTIN
Tell that to the first nineteen you've dated.

EX-BOYFRIEND 1
Hey Amber, why did you leave me for?

AMBER
Because you are lazy and never call me!

EX-BOYFRIEND 2
I never left you, and yet you left me.

AMBER
Because you are too possessive and cruel.

EX-BOYFRIEND 3
I never hurt you, all I wanted to do is to show you love.

AMBER
You are a disgusting perv you know that!

EX-BOYFRIEND 4
He don't know crap, I'll show you real love.

Ex-Boyfriend 4 attempts to force kiss her, she SHOVES him away.

AMBER
Get off of me! You're a sick bastard, and you do that to every girl.

EX-BOYFRIEND 5
You don't know the pain I have been through, hardcore pain.

AMBER
What a minute, you hung yourself!

QUENTIN
Do you still love us Amber? The other fourteen join in to gang around her with contempt. Each one says the same thing then later all of them says it.

EX-BOYFRIENDS
(Chanting)
Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber?

AMBER
Guys get back.

EX-BOYFRIENDS
Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber?

AMBER
I am done with you all.

EX-BOYFRIENDS
Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber?

AMBER
You all are not in my life anymore! Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber?

AMBER
Why won't you all leave me alone!

EX-BOYFRIENDS
Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber? Do you still love us Amber?

Amber gets aggravated by the constant chanting of her ex-boyfriends, driving her to the edge of insanity until she snaps.

AMBER
(Screaming)
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

CUT TO:

INT. AMBER'S ROOM-NIGHT

Amber wakes up from from the nightmare, still on the floor of her trashed room. She feels even more agitated from the chanting in her dream, so much so that she slowly loses her natural attraction to boys.

AMBER
(to herself)
I do not love you all, I broke up with all of you for a reason. I hate them all, especially Quentin that fudge packer!

Amber tried to clean up her room, but she stares up at the ceiling.

AMBER
(to herself)
God help my tortured soul.