00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KungFuCarafu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico's Mission- programmer wanted!

1,806 Views | 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi! I believe now that this would be the proper forum to post this sort of thread in, but if I should still be using the flash forum, please correct me. Anyway, I am looking for a programmer for a project I have recently started, Pico's Mission. I hope to have it out on Pico Day 2010. This isn't a very large game, but it is still bigger than Pico's School. If you had to compare, you could say it's "Pico 1.5". Yes, the backgrounds do need work, they are placeholders. I am nearly complete with the first cutscene, it just needs some finishing touches. By the way, below is a screenshot. I was thinking of finishing the graphics first and then looking for a programmer, but it would probably be a better idea to work alongside the programmer instead of a whole bunch of "hurry up and wait." I am using Flash CS4, but if you are using anything earlier than CS3, I would have no trouble converting the files for you. I can estimate it would have about 30 "rooms", with 5 worlds, 6 "rooms" each. I am saying rooms as they are very small sections than you can walk across, but you just scroll to the next area upon hitting the each, such as in Pico's School. Since Pico Day is somewhat close, it would be nice if you had experience with this sort of project, and were a relatively quick programmer, but no major rush. You can contact me here on Newgrounds, or by email, at LDAF@ymail.com. If you have Yahoo! Messenger or AIM, feel free to contact me. Thank you, and please remind me if I left out any crucial details.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-26 16:41:03

Just a heads up to anyone wondering - I do feel that requests like this are acceptable use of the Collaboration forum, as any sort of teamwork is encouraged. It is definitely preferred that you provide some materials to show the progress of your idea (such as the screenshot and info above), and not use the forum for one-way spec work where you aren't an involved contributor.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-26 20:04:51

Just one detail I forgot to add, I prefer if you use AS3 over AS2, but if you don't, don't worry, it's not a deal-breaking factor. And I will install flash ads, the programmer will recieve 50-60% of the revenue, depending on performance.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-27 18:43:07

By the way, since I really should be more specific about details, the 5 areas will be the school, the city, the park, the subway, and a crater (the crater relies heavily upon the plot). This project will require an intermediate amount of Actionscript knowledge. At this time, the hardest thing in the game to program would be the inventory. The rooms will be slightly larger than those in Pico's School, so a vcam will be needed. Unlike many other games of this type, this game will require knowledge on some uncommon skills, such as ability to read Braille. However, the player can easily look this up. If you would like any more samples, or require more info, please post or contact me.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-28 21:00:37

By the way, I do have previous experience. I am also working on a platformer titled "Frostbite and White Fang". Info on that project can be found in my news posts. A user by the name of Warchimp is programming it. But back to the Pico game, I also have a walking cycle up, to how that I do at least know how to get around flash.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/9517 564009a2db2c30cba736e8eb911a

I also have a cutscene which I will post upon completion, should this need another bump. (Of course, I'm not gonna just bump it meaninglessly, I'm gonna at least add a little bit more info each time)

Bump.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-29 19:08:34

The background is dull and Pico looks messed up in standing, and during the walk cycle Pico's head is too thin and the animation is stiff. What about renevue sharing, and gameplay?

Don't go into the light...

BBS Signature

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-29 19:58:09

At 1/29/10 07:08 PM, ChannelInfinity wrote: The background is dull and Pico looks messed up in standing, and during the walk cycle Pico's head is too thin and the animation is stiff. What about renevue sharing, and gameplay?

Revenue would be anywhere from 50-60% based on performance. Gameplay combines the puzzles of Pico's School with the ability to move freely, such as in the Pico's School remake. I'm gonna use an example, this puzzle would appear half-way through the game: Pico finds a door in the subway. He tries to open it, but it requires a password. Above where you enter the password, it would have the password written in Braille. The player would have to go find out what it says in Braille. Oh, and thanks for the advice on graphics, I'll keep it in mind.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-29 20:20:24

If the braille thing will require the player to know braille, then there should be a hint or decoder somewhere in the game. Judging by the reviews for the latest Reincarny game, people don't like having to look up information for themselves.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-29 20:30:58

At 1/29/10 08:20 PM, Vladith wrote: If the braille thing will require the player to know braille, then there should be a hint or decoder somewhere in the game. Judging by the reviews for the latest Reincarny game, people don't like having to look up information for themselves.

Hm, perhaps that would be a better idea, like placing it on the back of a bench in the park. It'll be like where you click the back of the bench, and you see someone has etched a braille decoder into the bench. Thanks for the idea!

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-30 12:55:29

Sorry If I said like a jackass.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-30 12:57:06

Typo, Sorry If I said it like a Jackass.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-30 17:05:28

At 1/30/10 12:57 PM, ChannelInfinity wrote: Typo, Sorry If I said it like a Jackass.

Nah, it's fine. You didn't sound like a jackass anyway, you were simply pointing out what was wrong and what needed to be explained. You actually helped, so no problem.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-31 12:00:30

Heh, here's another bump. This is the cutscene and the menu. The options button is currently not available. I only have a few little details to finish up, but it's nothing much, so here is the cutscene. I'll post another screenshot in a while if anybody wants one or if somebody is interested, but needs a little bit more to persuade them. As you can see, I already have ads up, so a programmer will be recieving around 55% of that revenue.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/85a3 113c584fd7adba93ea90d14cc47a

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-31 14:44:50

Hey, will there be a shooting mechanic? If there is, it should be side-scrolling, not first person. That way, there's probably less chance of lag, and it could be a more fun experience. Also, you should have some references to the original game. Sorry, I don't want to hijack your project, or something. I would help, but I can't program or animate for my life. I'd give voices if they're needed. I could do artwork, also, and someone else animate it. I just want to help any way that I can.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-31 15:58:14

At 1/31/10 02:44 PM, Vladith wrote: Hey, will there be a shooting mechanic? If there is, it should be side-scrolling, not first person. That way, there's probably less chance of lag, and it could be a more fun experience. Also, you should have some references to the original game. Sorry, I don't want to hijack your project, or something. I would help, but I can't program or animate for my life. I'd give voices if they're needed. I could do artwork, also, and someone else animate it. I just want to help any way that I can.

Don't worry, it's not first person, it will be side-scrolling. Here's an example of how it would work, and a little easter egg that I find surprising that nobody else noticed. Watch this movie, and watch closely at the game Tom is playing:

The game Tom is playing is Pico 2! I know because I have seen screenshots of Pico 2, which can be accessed here for those interested.

http://www.newgrounds.com/lit/pico2.html

Pico will move about in that fashion. And remember this game?

When a weapon is selected, he will move about and shoot it in that fashion. If he wants to hold another item (I'll use the lighter for example). There is a puzzle in the game where Darnell is stuck in chemistry class at the school. Being the pyromaniac he is, he ask you for a lighter to "experiment". In return, he says he'll give you a sheet of paper with a bunch of dots on it (a Braille decoder, which is vital to the game). You go out and find the lighter. To give it to him, you hold it, and walk into Darnell. A short dialogue will happen, and you will receive the Braille decoder. And thanks for the offer for help with art, but I have it. But should I need any help, I'll be sure to ask, thanks for the offer!

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-31 17:06:10

Oh, that makes sense. It sounds great! Also, I have an idea: This could be a lot of work, but there could be 'touch', 'look', 'take', and 'shoot' options for all people and objects. Pico might say things like 'I think that kidnapping is a felony in this state', if you try to 'take' a person, for example. If you want, I could write up the text for you. Again, sorry for giving too many suggestions, I just think that this could be really good, and I'd love to help in any way that I can.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-01-31 20:59:46

At 1/31/10 05:06 PM, Vladith wrote: Oh, that makes sense. It sounds great! Also, I have an idea: This could be a lot of work, but there could be 'touch', 'look', 'take', and 'shoot' options for all people and objects. Pico might say things like 'I think that kidnapping is a felony in this state', if you try to 'take' a person, for example. If you want, I could write up the text for you. Again, sorry for giving too many suggestions, I just think that this could be really good, and I'd love to help in any way that I can.

You know, that actually wouldn't be as hard to do as it sounds! One thing though is that I do want this to have some originality, and not take everything from Pico 2, but this, I have strong thoughts about and may use. And don't worry about the suggestions, the more the merrier! You've been really helpful!

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-01 17:19:54

Thanks! I can't wait to play this!

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-02 20:34:20

At 2/1/10 05:19 PM, Vladith wrote: Thanks! I can't wait to play this!

Thanks, hope you like it when it comes out!

Yes, this is a bump.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-03 19:13:39

Through the recommendation of a member of the flash forum, I decided to construct a small video demonstrating how a player would move, and get an item. It has a few graphical glitches, but nothing that blocks the view. Of course, items will be more cleverly hidden than just sitting in the middle of the road! Oh, and the game will move faster, I just made it that speed for the demontration.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/b985 253db31ff6cea00a165c33f46a32

As usual, I'll provide more little graphics later... Meh, have a Darnell. By the way, if you have any advice on graphics, please post them, I'd really appreciate it.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-06 20:49:37

By the way, does anyone have any general advice while making a game like this? I'm currently working on where items will be hidden and such, and wondered if anybody had some general tips.

Yes, this is a bump. BUMP.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-11 13:26:40

hey i have a link for a pokemon game that has a braile or whatever it should work

http://www.psypokes.com/rsefrlg/braille.
php

hope i helped

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-11 15:20:47

At 2/11/10 01:26 PM, legopico wrote: hey i have a link for a pokemon game that has a braile or whatever it should work

http://www.psypokes.com/rsefrlg/braille.
php

hope i helped

I already had a braille sheet, but thanks anyway! And thank you for bumping the topic!

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-12 19:55:44

Just finished the map, there will be 25 rooms, and 32 items spread throughout the game. You will only hold six items at a time. Obviously, many of these items will be useless, but they will be fun little gadgets completely useless to the game, but worry not, you can throw them out at any time and go back for them whenever you want to play with them again.

I'm running out of things to bump about... remember, 50-60% of the revenue depending on performance. If I cannot find a programmer by March, I'll try to program it myself off of tutorials, and the game will come off as shoddy. If a programmer chooses to collaborate with me, the game will come out as an enjoyable experience, and the experience of collaborating with another person is a great experience in itself. I'm never cracking the whip, always understanding of issues that arise during development, just ask Warchimp.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-15 14:44:08

Er... now I'm really running out of things to bump about. Uh... does anybody have any advice on adding detail to buildings other than shading? The solid colored buildings just look plain.

Maybe there's someone on the forums who is a programmer for hire...

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-19 16:17:42

Wow, I never thought it would take this long to get an AS programmer. I've run out of things to bump about. I've been making steady progress, but nothing worth calling home about. So I guess this is just a bump. (By the way, I contacted an Actionscripter who *may* be for hire, but he hasn't responded yet, so I might as well still bump this).

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-23 13:37:18

Meh, I was thinking about using a tutorial, but I realize how easy it is to tell when someone is just using a tutorial, so I guess I'll keep on looking. Chemistry lab screenshot... At least since I have the tutorial I can post a demo.

Response to Pico's Mission- programmer wanted! 2010-02-24 13:00:34

If you havent found anyone yet, I could help. I cant do anything too advanced but I think I could do what you wanted fairly easilly. I can do movement and shooting, if theres enemies I cant do any AI though, and possibly an inventory (I havent tried since 2007, and that didnt go so well) If you are interested, PM me, and ive got plenty of flash submissions as examples (the only good ones are like 2009+)

My websites: MayesMods | FireStorm | I'm also on almost every other website in existence, mostly under the username: andy70707 (youtube: brainiac777, eBay: 10andy70707).

BBS Signature