00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

PapaRon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

24,300 Views | 277 Replies

Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:05:28

I just couldn't get into it. It was just way too conventional and cheesy. The effects were very impressive, but the overall movie itself fell flat to me. I felt District 9 was a way better sci-fi/action movie, and Coraline's 3D animation blew me away more so than Avatar did.

James Cameron's Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time, I was just so disappointed that this was the best he could come up with 20 years later. I can't deny the film's technical achievements, but I expected so much better from him.

So I'm asking you guys, was anyone else disappointed?

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:08:18

All it was is just 3d eye candy. No real plot, just explosions and shit.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:11:03

At 12/18/09 07:08 AM, HighWayStar365 wrote: All it was is just 3d eye candy. No real plot, just explosions and shit.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have walked in with such high expectations. The film promised that and delivered, but I had some hope that James Cameron would produce another grand epic.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:18:09

If I ever see it, I have extremely low expectations.
I'm sure it's going to be some Pocahontas-like piece of shit love story that's supposed to be REALLY about the earth or some cheesy crap.

NO THANKS.

I want the real Avatar movie about the cartoon... are they making that? That could be decent.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:20:05

At 12/18/09 07:18 AM, poxpower wrote: If I ever see it, I have extremely low expectations.
I'm sure it's going to be some Pocahontas-like piece of shit love story that's supposed to be REALLY about the earth or some cheesy crap.

NO THANKS.

I want the real Avatar movie about the cartoon... are they making that? That could be decent.

Yeah they're making that. It's called "The Last Airbender", set to come out sometime next year.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:40:15

At 12/18/09 07:38 AM, Lunaful wrote:
M. Night Shyamalan.

Fuck...

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 07:53:31

THANKS FOR DERAILING THE THREAD GUYS.

back on topic, the movie's dialogue is laughably cliche. My friend pointed this out.

"Side Note: It really bothered me at the beginning of the film when Sergeant BadGuy tells a room of fresh meat, "You're not in Kansas anymore." In the year Avatar, do they really know what the Wizard of Oz is? Has it somehow become a seminal piece of human legacy that has been passed down and ceaseless quoted by members of the far future? Is James Cameron trying to tell me that, in Avatar's future, they have the ability to create giant robot suits and control manufactured sentient beings, but haven't made a movie more memorable than the Wizard of Goddamn Oz? If you ask me, that was a poorly written line of dialogue, Jamesy. "

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 08:06:06

I've yet to see it, but I am surprised that people aren't enjoying it like they thought they would. I guess it has been over-hyped and with the fact that James Cameron has made some amazing pieces in the past, you'd expect something brilliant with this film, right?

Although, to each their own - what someone else doesn't enjoy, someone else will surely love it. I want to see this film, but I know not to go into the cinemas with the highest of hopes just in case if I'm disappointed.

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |

it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 08:29:15

At 12/18/09 07:08 AM, HighWayStar365 wrote: . No real plot, just explosions and shit.

thats pretty much half of all the films in the world, summed up right there

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 08:32:17

At 12/18/09 07:08 AM, HighWayStar365 wrote: All it was is just 3d eye candy. No real plot, just explosions and shit.

This movie was probly just a test to see what kind of new things he can accomplish in the future.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 08:47:42

I thought the main victim of that would be the movie 2012.

Everything I see is just a image of my thoughts "Always looking for a better day..."

What's your fastest reaction time?

-[Audiosurf Club]-

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 09:00:50

I still stand by my guns, I really liked it.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 09:03:59

I heard it was good, but I don't want to see it, it looks boring

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 09:13:02

I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told that it's the kind of movie you watch for the action and not the story.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 17:16:49

At 12/18/09 08:06 AM, Mechabloby wrote: I've yet to see it, but I am surprised that people aren't enjoying it like they thought they would.

Don't take my review as the general consensus, everyone is loving it but me. I'm just trying to find people on the same page as me. I think it's simply an okay movie, not a masterpiece on the same level of Star Wars as everyone else is saying.

At 12/18/09 09:03 AM, Magical-Zorse wrote: it looks boring

The movie looks gorgeous, the effects are incredible.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 17:22:26

I agree.

Sure the CGI was amazing and all that, but that doesn't compensate for the shocking, overused storyline. I mean seriously, dozens have used the same kind of storyline;

'I AM CONVEYED AS A TYPICAL HUMAN MALE FOLLOWING ORDERS, APPARENTLY OBLIVIOS TO WHAT IS GOING ON. SO NOW I HAVE JOINED THE OTHER SIDE UNDERCOVER, OH NO, AN ATTRACTIVE FEMALE, I NOW UNDERSTAND. TO KEEP THE ONE I NOW LOVE, I WILL FIGHT AGAINST THOSE WHO PUT ME HERE TO BEGIN WITH. KRAAAAW'

Far too generic for my liking.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 17:32:40

I don't really like James Cameron at all. It looked like it would have sucked anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 17:57:13

An amazing movie, beautifully done.
Would watch again.
10/10.

A touching and dark tale of humanities dependence on the stuff you find inside Glow-sticks and their destructive pursuit against the Native Americans as they attempt to harvest a planet made entirely out of previously mentioned substance.

I also liked the fact that they decided to shoot the entire movie on the Zendikar plane.

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000

DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-18 19:22:08

When I saw the trailer, and saw the blue alien indian piece of shit in the tank, with a mullet, I Lol'd and , no thanks.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 03:03:21

not many ppl are saying this in threads about this film, but i honestly think its the best movie iv'e ever seen

needless to say the visuals were very nice, and im not even talking about the EXPLOSIONS!!!, cuz usually i hate that kind of eye fucking, just the whole world was incredibly beautiful, the water, the trees, the people

acting was awesome, voice acting fit soooo well with the CGI parts

the musical score was fucking great, nothing bad to say about that

creature and landscape concepts, ive never seen anything like that b4 in my life, just made me want to see more

to the guy saying 'why did we have to learn about the entire Na'vi lifestyle', i thought this was an awesome part of the movie, you feel closer to the people by the time its over, like emotionally closer

the plot was fucking great, i honestly dont know why people didnt like it, it was one of the most original plots iv'e seen in fucking forever, most shit nowadays is just a remake or a sequel

the movie never ever gets boring, mabye it was just me, but i was always interested

atmosphere was phenomenal, there were times when i really jjust wanted to live in there world rather than my own, is that crazy?

possibly a bold statement for some, but hands down, best movie iv'e ever seen, very few even come remotely close

5/5

10/10

if you can think of a better movie, let me know, so i can have a laugh

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 03:06:40

At 12/18/09 07:40 AM, poxpower wrote:
At 12/18/09 07:38 AM, Lunaful wrote:
M. Night Shyamalan.
Fuck...

My first fucking thought when i started reading.
CAN WE HAVE NOTHING GOOD?!

PM for a review on your music or flash video.

LUL! should of asked stem to make my sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 03:48:38

At 12/18/09 07:05 AM, Frank wrote:
James Cameron's Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time,

Dude..terminator 2 was epic fail. all it was was action and more explosions....and naked Arnold

noah1324@aol.com

Stupid furry muffins D=

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 04:09:27

At 12/18/09 07:22 PM, Skrewd wrote: When I saw the trailer, and saw the blue alien indian piece of shit in the tank, with a mullet, I Lol'd and , no thanks.

Gwt off the internet and do the world a favor you douchebag

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 04:15:32

Yeah I'm with you, this film is fucking bullshit.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 04:24:23

At 12/18/09 07:53 AM, Frank wrote: do they really know what the Wizard of Oz is?
haven't made a movie more memorable than the Wizard of Goddamn Oz? If you ask me, that was a poorly written line of dialogue, Jamesy.

your friend is funny as fuck. now I'm a bit worried about this. I'm extremely goddamn cynical, will I be able to ignore all the faults and enjoy myself? or will I spend the whole time pointing out flaws?

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 04:33:30

I just got back from seeing it and i thought it was one of the better movies ive seen in a long time. The story line was damn good and intresting (let alone the graphics).

.....Oh yeah frank you have got to be the biggest tool on the bbs :/
Just stating the obvious.

Fuck you, you fucking fuck!

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 05:29:50

At 12/19/09 03:03 AM, SessileNomad wrote: the plot was fucking great, i honestly dont know why people didnt like it, it was one of the most original plots iv'e seen in fucking forever, most shit nowadays is just a remake or a sequel

This movie is pathetically unoriginal. It's basically Dances With Wolves meets Fern Gully, set in space.

There's literally thousands of movies better than this.

Better sci-fi movies this year - District 9, Moon
Better 3D movies this year - Coraline, UP
Better James Cameron movies - Terminator 2, Titanic

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 07:36:41

Well I really liked it, I actually cried a little at the end when he almost died and she is trying to save him.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 09:26:29

At 12/18/09 07:53 AM, Frank wrote: "Side Note: It really bothered me at the beginning of the film when Sergeant BadGuy tells a room of fresh meat, "You're not in Kansas anymore." In the year Avatar, do they really know what the Wizard of Oz is? Has it somehow become a seminal piece of human legacy that has been passed down and ceaseless quoted by members of the far future? Is James Cameron trying to tell me that, in Avatar's future, they have the ability to create giant robot suits and control manufactured sentient beings, but haven't made a movie more memorable than the Wizard of Goddamn Oz? If you ask me, that was a poorly written line of dialogue, Jamesy. "

I'm not sure how far in the future this is set but just to point out that these days Shakespeare is still quoted and probably will be for some time.

"We/you are not in Kansas anymore" is a popular quote that has worked its way into our language to a certain extent, and once a saying gets popular use like that it can stay for a long time - there are many element's in our language that people don't even know the origin of these days, some of them going back centuries. How much longer will a saying last when the original is still known?

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-19 10:09:18

At 12/19/09 03:03 AM, SessileNomad wrote:

District 9

"Physicsman09: The Gordon Freeman of Newgrounds"

-The-Hitman

BBS Signature