00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mirenamak just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

23,996 Views | 277 Replies

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 15:55:32

animehater- Why even go see the movie, you could tell from the fucking trailer. Again, all the reasons you stated are reasons I like it. Tell me WHY you don't.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 16:41:44

dude even though it hade a sucky love story line the movie hade a 1 hour long battle scene. it was epic in 3-d!

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 16:55:49

At 12/27/09 12:06 AM, animehater wrote: You know I wrote down my problems with this movie on my blog. Allow me to copy/paste.

1. Demonizing mankind.
stuff

I have to comment on that, sure, the humans were put into black robes in this movie, but it's not far from the truth though, to gain advantage for ourselves we tend to destroy that what gets in our way of surviving, or surviving better not caring for the essence of what we had just destroyed.
In America the usual films are where there's a definite good side and bad side, the good side being the Americans, who usually win, this is Typical for America because they tend to make black-white relations movies.
In fact, this movie represents WONDERFULLY what the "nice and intelligent" people did to Indians when they needed their land to build and make food on.
What did the Americans do to the Indians? First they studied them, then they simply destroyed them without even caring for the culture that went lost because of their foolish action.
I am glad that in this movie they showed WHY the other side should preferably have won...

But honestly, Imho they should let the humans win, but show what damage they've done so that people will feel sorry for the other side, in fact, they were getting to that greatly, I started to feel furious at the humans for being so disrespectful to the Na'vi...
But they had to make the humans lose, making the Na'vi less attractive...

Also, I think the Na'vi are a little too Nationalistic, they think they are a pure race and humans are contaminators and bad creatures... not too nice either.
The humans found the Na'vi pretty fascinating, but the Na'vi didn't really want to have anything to do with the humans, however, this could possibly be because they knew what was coming.

Also another flaw is that I don't understand why the earth confederation couldn't just send a next mission out to Pandora with the intention of destroying the Na'vi but this time with better reinforcements, tanks, ships which can shoot from high air, bomb the fucking tree from space for godsake.
I think it was a little skeptical ending.

Ca va.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 17:00:48

earth is dying, we have no confederation, the army were mercenaries in capacity, the military on earth would have no interest

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 17:04:04

Honestly, I hate the trailers so much that I don't want to see the movie mostly because of that fact. Sure, the graphics look good, but I am NOT going to go see a movie that wastes so much on good looking CGI and pairs it with a lackluster plot. Total waste of good effort. It's being marketed as a huge action blockbuster movie, but I'll bet that the trailers make it look like there is 5 times as much action than there really is, and the plot will consist of some asshole experiencing severe cognitive dissonance while he whines all the time and tries to fuck some girl with blue skin.

If anyone wants to see some REAL good art direction and get an interesting story, go see Fantastic Mr. Fox.

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i

oh no I am choking on a million dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-27 17:06:50

It's not that bad luxury. See it drunk.

$617.3m worldwide so far.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 01:23:16

Wow if you thought avatar sucked and was JUST "eye candy" you have some MAJOR disorders (probably ADD or some form of mental retardation.)

And I am not even kidding. Many people have problems where they cannot make connections and cannot pay attention to things. Really, you cannot like any movie if Avatar sucked.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 01:49:06

At 12/19/09 10:33 PM, Eclipse914 wrote: I saw the commercials too, and to me it looked really really shitty and corny. The general guy looked like he was on some sort of super-steroids, and there is no background to it. Its just a big 3D shootout.

It looked like shit from the trailers, I don't give a damn, I wouldn't see it anyway.

What is this shit? All you guys are saying the movies sucks and have not even seen it. LOOK, before I saw it I thought it would suck but honestly it is amazing.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 03:54:35

I thought the movie was good.

I mean, the story was shit. Truly terrible. Had one of the worst screenplays I've seen in a film. It felt like it was written by a 13 year old who had seen Dances with Wolves or Pocahontas or something, and thought it would be better if it was in space.

It's littered with cliches. The dialogue is awkward. The characters are stereotypes (Jesus Christ, that Colonel is one of the most one-dimensional characters I've ever seen). The MacGuffin is called 'unobtanium' and they don't even explain why they need it (I guess it's a superconductor or something, maybe?). The language the Na'vi (Hey! Listen!) speak sounds like a made-up language. I didn't really care much about any of the one-dimensional eco-harmonious nature loving battle smurfs.

The conservationist message falls flat when you consider the fact that they only care about keeping the forest intact because otherwise the intelligent Na'vi will be fucked over (the human analogues). They don't give a shit about what happens to the actual alien animals (the Earth animal analogues). Considering James Cameron is all about saving the animals, the message really doesn't work. Nobody's really worried about how cutting down rainforests is going to displace humans (directly).

However, the action scenes were a lot of fun, and the CGI and 3D were very impressive. I was even able to get past the fact that the designs looked like a mix of Final Fantasy and Halo.

It's an effects movie. I liked it because the cool effects and great action were able to make me see past the film's obvious flaws (like, say, Terminator 2). James Cameron sure knows how to spend 300 million dollars.

It's about half an hour too long, though.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 04:43:04

It's really just "Pocahontas 3000: 3-D."

It's easy to recognize the parts of Avatar that James Cameron had been waiting to mold into a movie: the discovery of an alien planet and race; the decline of Earth; the concept of telepathically controlling a sentient, lab-grown, humanoid being; etc.

These aspects honestly could have been paired with his experienced directing and lovingly crafted into a beautiful tale if the movie had been six hours long. But it wasn't, so Cameron had to cut corners here and there. He flattened every character personality (except the protagonist) and forced them to correspond to the cliched dichotemy of "Save the ____" or "Kill 'em / exploit the land." The dialogue is terrible and interactions between the characters just aren't organic; all social interaction in this movie creates a niggling little feeling in the back of your mind, telling you, "This has been done before."

And it morphed into a very thinly-veiled political message, especially in the latter half of the film...but the movie doesn't work without the culturally-friendly message it conveys, so you've gotta take it as a whole.

See it, really, but don't expect it to be memorable.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 05:51:22

I've finally watched it, and I actually quite enjoyed it. I can understand why people see the movie as nothing but great special effects, though - it can be very distracting. Other than that, I think if you throw away all the hype that has been shared, it's a rather good film. Just my opinion there, so don't get all pissy if you hated Avatar...

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |

it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 14:47:56

At 12/18/09 07:20 AM, Zeekyboogydoog wrote:
At 12/18/09 07:18 AM, poxpower wrote: If I ever see it, I have extremely low expectations.
I'm sure it's going to be some Pocahontas-like piece of shit love story that's supposed to be REALLY about the earth or some cheesy crap.

NO THANKS.

I want the real Avatar movie about the cartoon... are they making that? That could be decent.
Yeah they're making that. It's called "The Last Airbender", set to come out sometime next year.

It's going to be made by M. Night shamamfjadflsda, however the hell you pronounce his name, I just hope it will take after the cartoon series more instead of doing what hollywood does and cut the good stuff out.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-30 15:18:32

At 12/18/09 09:00 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I still stand by my guns, I really liked it.

Same here, great movie!

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-31 14:51:18

I liked the film.

My opinion, not yours.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-31 15:08:08

I never plan on watching that movie, I have already settled for District 9 as sci-fi movie of the year also.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-31 15:09:09

At 12/20/09 09:39 PM, Obvious-M wrote: Jake was all talk no walk.

Seriously though, that was the best sci-fi film I've ever seen nothing can compare, it's so immersive everything looks so real, did you also see Jake's legs? I thought he was a disabled actor. :o

I wish I was Na'Vi so bad right now. :(

Is he actually in a wheelchair? I saw his legs, and they were so skinny, I assumed he was. Anyway, I loved the movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2009-12-31 15:10:14

Hey, Hey........ Dances With Wolves.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 16:15:40

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 16:17:35

At 12/18/09 07:20 AM, Zeekyboogydoog wrote: Yeah they're making that. It's called "The Last Airbender", set to come out sometime next year.

They're making this but not a Bioshock movie?

Whyy?!

Fear Me! "You are a government organization designed to monitor the NG BBS. you hide behind your smiles but there is something very sinister about you, oh yes." - DragonFyre9

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 16:22:07

At 1/1/10 04:17 PM, HazeStigma wrote:
At 12/18/09 07:20 AM, Zeekyboogydoog wrote: Yeah they're making that. It's called "The Last Airbender", set to come out sometime next year.
They're making this but not a Bioshock movie?
Whyy?!

avatar: the last airbender is by far better than bioshock

thats why

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 18:35:59

At 12/23/09 03:40 PM, Helicopterz wrote: Frank's just mad because he has a new blue fetish now.

So do i :P

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 20:05:40

Just saw the movie and I gotta say...

Fuck year.

Now, onto the quest to find Rule 34 of this amazing film.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 20:24:02

Heres how they make movies now.

Producer: Lol hay guys! i gotz this great idea for a movie its got the best graphics money can buy, and the advertiseing has it so hyped up that everyone will see it!

Director: Hows the plot?

Producer: The what?

sig

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 21:10:20

I liked it.

Though the main bad guy (Who was awesome) had the most clichéd death I have ever seen

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 21:28:37

It looks like it's going to be the kind of movie I only pay attention to during an explosion.

Pro:What! This is madness!! Noob:madness? No,THIS IS NOOBIA!!*pwned*

its about funny cats.

For help, press 1. To learn why I'm standing in your house with a Shotgun, press 2.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 21:38:05

At 1/1/10 08:24 PM, nerdking wrote: Heres how they make movies now.

Producer: Lol hay guys! i gotz this great idea for a movie its got the best graphics money can buy, and the advertiseing has it so hyped up that everyone will see it!

Director: Hows the plot?

Producer: The what?

What are you talking about it had a concrete plot.

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 21:44:23

At 1/1/10 09:38 PM, Obvious-M wrote:

What are you talking about it had a concrete plot.

Maybe, but it wasn't original. I'll say it again, Dances With Wolves

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 22:05:50

I will admit i liked the movie but they ripped off so much crap that it just seemed like the director ran out of ideas

P.S. districk 9 was a better movie anyway

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 22:40:37

Just watched it last night, and I thought it was pretty good. Sure, lots of explosions, but I found it had a pretty good plot to it.

Response to Avatar sucked. 2010-01-01 22:44:49

Absolutely breathtaking in 3D. Couldn't give a shit about the lack of plot when shit looks that good.