00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rvillarreal123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wide Layout Update 1

42,708 Views | 299 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:08:12

Thank you Tom you are a very good person deep down inside!
{{{Tommy}}}

I'll Eat Your Face

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:08:14

oh yea and authors should be given the choice of whether to have the maximize button. Some flashes shouldn't be expanded and authors should have the choice

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:08:42

Two things that could be improved for me to find this update perfect.

A more enjoyable play button instead of the gaudy standard.

A smoother transition when changing the screen from normal to wide and vice versa.

Other than that Im loving it. :)

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:10:21

At 5/27/09 07:16 PM, TomFulp wrote:
You can select CLASSIC mode and it will look just like it always did, only wider.

That's great and all Tom, but it would be absolutely wonderful if you could have it so that we could have it EXACTLY how it was before the change. I appreciate what you're doing and everything, but the wide view hurts my eyes, and in my opinion the bigger sizes look unnatural.

Hopefully there can be some middle ground.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:10:43

Darn Tootily good, guys!

I love Street Fighter. obviously.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:13:44

Awesome!! Thanks, Tom, PsychoGoldfish and everyone else :) I hate when it auto-plays anything, so it looks much better with just the bug PLAY button.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:14:14

this is awesome update though i just hated that it auto plays but now i found a problem still the box is still up there wich is every annoying

Wide Layout Update 1

Thousands of years ago there were no numbers to represent two or three. Instead fingers, rocks, sticks or eyes were used to represent numbers.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:16:18

classic view :3

but will ng ever get rid of the giant advert that stretches out the layout?

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:17:30

it's a good thing i admit but i had some trouble with it. i mean like what if you have to vote but the thing still plays. what if you can't stop it. you know like pause.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:19:12

so what's the deal with people who aren't logged in?

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:20:32

At 5/27/09 09:19 PM, Starogre wrote: so what's the deal with people who aren't logged in?

Don't you see? This will persuade people to make an account. Oh yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:21:48

THANK YOU. My suggestion was to have settings, so I'm glad you listen to me as well as all of the other users who rather the classic version.

Check out my newest News Post!

Anyone need an artist or coder for a game? Drop me a PM!

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:24:41

At 5/27/09 09:20 PM, DumbassDude wrote:
At 5/27/09 09:19 PM, Starogre wrote: so what's the deal with people who aren't logged in?
Don't you see? This will persuade people to make an account. Oh yes.

Fancy thinking you have there. I like it.

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:25:07

the extended site header looks nifty on the flash pages, what on earth could that boiler be connected to?

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:27:41

Well, the wide format is OK, but the autoplay is annoying, and the inability to see the specific reasons for the movie's rating (ie: violence, language,etc.) is a minor inconvenience.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:29:09

At 5/27/09 07:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: ...in the final redesign.

Knew it.

Called it.

New redesign.

Everyone get ready for Stamper's shitty loading sound effects again.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:29:45

look how many members online we get about 250-+ a day

Wide Layout Update 1

Thousands of years ago there were no numbers to represent two or three. Instead fingers, rocks, sticks or eyes were used to represent numbers.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:30:43

At 5/27/09 07:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/27/09 07:20 PM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Oh, thank god. Classic mode it is then. The new layout is cool and all, but it was totally killing my computer. I did like to see all the different ads for the NG T-Shirts though.
Well you'll be happy to see they're still there. :)

Classic mode looks like old mode, but wide... Because wide is the way things will be going.

Is that some kind of fat joke? I think it was. But that's just me. You said it.

ZOINK!

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:33:12

It's already better but I really wish there wasn't that option that screws up games with scaleMode set to NO_SCALE.

See pic

Wide Layout Update 1

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:34:06

yo tom please change it back to orginal format i hate this new wide one

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:36:36

At 5/27/09 09:25 PM, sucho wrote: the extended site header looks nifty on the flash pages, what on earth could that boiler be connected
to?

Your mother.

booyah.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:36:53

omfg tha thread is like the most popular thread it get like a massage every min its been two hours and 162 posts

Wide Layout Update 1

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:38:58

Yea I agree, llamas are pretty gay

in other news, I'm loving the classic view again. will take some getting used to the wide layout.

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:40:13

Thanks, that's just what most of us needed :)

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:42:21

At 5/27/09 07:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: For those of you who simply don't like the aesthetic of the skinny header on top of a wide body, consider this a temporary step as we move towards a new wide site layout.

Thank you very much for the option. I hope that I was one of the constructive criticizers rather than another poster coming off as a complainer.

I fall into the camp of not a fan of the skinny header with wide body but I understand that it is temporary. I must ask why do you believe the change to widescreen is so necessary right now? I realize that it would be a nice change but I do not believe that wide screen monitors and submissions are the norm right now.

Wi/Ht Member #50 | Top 500 XP | Top 80 B/P! | Top 45 Protector | Top 125 VP

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:50:27

Ah, thanks guys!

I really do like the new layout, but like I said in the other thread with dial up it really slowed my computer down to the point where I was having trouble depositing. Now that I can set it back and forth I can use the classic view here at home and when I go back to college with their wireless I will be able to set it back to the new wide layout! Good work. :)

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:51:03

Personally, I think there still needs to AT LEAST be an option for users to switch to the narrow version of the site, with the pop-up, etc. This isn't stemming from nostalgia, but practicality and professionalism.

Here are two alternative suggestions for how to go about implementing the old, classic version while keeping the new:

1) Have the narrow version as the default view. Why a narrow version? It is more professional, looks better for a lot of people (some would say more sophisticated), and works better for those with smaller screen resolutions (not that I have a small screen resolution). You could be losing a lot of potential visitors who are initially turned off by the unsophisticated look or something that won't fit on their screen. Most people visiting the site are browsers and won't care for a huge screen anyway. They're just here to view the content, not to be awed by wide-screen prowess (not that they would necessarily be awed anyway). In fact, many may prefer pop-ups because it is more practical with regards to site navigation.

2) If you keep the wide version as the default view, then I think the narrow version I speak of should rightfully be called the "Classic Version", and the new, wide version should be named something else (e.g. "Wide Version"). The option for pop-ups should be dealt with as an option via a checkbox (e.g. "Display Flash in Pop-up or on page?") on the new option page you made.

I wouldn't even suggest alternative #2 above if the wide layout isn't going to go global to begin with. If the wide version is only staying on the flash section or a select few sections, the site would seem even more unprofessional (and furthermore, inconsistent) than having the wide layout as a default but global view.

I have done a lot of designing in the past and it shouldn't be too hard to make the narrow version compatible with the wide version. Assuming that every table within the main borders is fluid, then all you need to do is fix the width of the main table being held by the main borders and the fluid tables should sort themselves out.

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:51:31

So i assume that all the error's in the gifs. are going to be fixed and along with the header with the flash portal ,audio portal and cough new art portal. So i assume good things to come. But this site is so anal fucked at the moment i cannot watch any flashes let alone see any thing as far as graphics. I can olny hope it will be up and ready...with the art portal

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:57:34

At 5/27/09 07:20 PM, PorkytheHedgehog wrote: I love the new page layout, it doesn't close my browser. :P

I agree. My browser would always crash when i forgot i couldn't scroll down, but now i can and not suffer the consecquences! ^_^

Carpe Jugulum

BBS Signature

Response to Wide Layout Update 1 2009-05-27 21:58:24

1) Have the narrow version as the default view. Why a narrow version? It is more professional, looks better for a lot of people (some would say more sophisticated), and works better for those with smaller screen resolutions (not that I have a small screen resolution). You could be losing a lot of potential visitors who are initially turned off by the unsophisticated look or something that won't fit on their screen. Most people visiting the site are browsers and won't care for a huge screen anyway.

Ugh, dude, I've just 'bout the smallest screen resolution you can get right now, not widescreen btw, and it looks just fine on it.

Yes.