00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Limaou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Update on DNS Update!

19,218 Views | 183 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:42:08

The most important point of this post: IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SEE A FLASH SUBMISSION, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE ON IT.

Ok... Let me quickly summarize what has been going on. A malicious Flash submission had managed to scramble up a bunch of user accounts. It did this by posting a form command to our server, and the server responded to it as if it was an internal communication. We THOUGHT this could not happen, because the Flash submissions were hosted from "uploads.newgrounds.com", a unique URL from "newgrounds.com" - however, it turns out the subdomain was treated as an internal connection with permission to give instructions, and we weren't safe after all.

To solve this problem, we have moved all of the Flash content to a completely unique domain name. This way, if a Flash movie tries to submit a request to our server, it is turned away.

The change required making a DNS update to the new domain name - something which takes up to 72 hours to propagate world-wide. As a result, some of our users can currently view Flash submissions, while others can't. For example, Wade is now able to view Flash submissions on his cablemodem service, whereas my DSL has not yet updated the DNS and I am unable to view submissions (yes, this is ironic considering I just switched to get away from Comcast).

DNS = Domain Name Server. When you type "newgrounds.com" in your browser, the DNS info allows your provider to find our servers here in Philly. If we move our servers elsewhere, we change the DNS, so your provider can find us at our new location.

Because no one could view submissions after the change, James disabled the ability to vote on submissions. We are now re-activating the vote feature, since the site is working for a lot of users at the moment. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SEE A FLASH SUBMISSION, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE ON IT.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:44:36

I can view movies again, woot woot! It seems to be working here, in eastern Canada. Glad to know its safe again, hope you guys catch the bastard.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:46:25

72 hours! Man I hope these bastards that started this burn in hell!

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:46:40

Thanks for the update, Tom. I was worried for a minute about depositing my EXP for a moment

BBS Signature

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:51:29

At 1/19/04 11:46 AM, RageVI wrote: Thanks for the update, Tom. I was worried for a minute about depositing my EXP for a moment

Same here, and I only need 2 points to go to level 13. I was able to get them in time. YAY! Thanks for the update.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:51:57

uh when I click on a submission i get a basically blank NG page with the author info and file size box there and this below: <cen. Is that normal?

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:52:04

Yay we can vote again!!! I'm going to go vote right now!!!

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:56:58

so many under judgement movies....will there be a under judgment-list?

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:58:45

So did you ever find out who started this mess?

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:59:34

um tom do you think at in the next hour ill have in i live in philly

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 11:59:48

The most important point of this post: IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO SEE A FLASH SUBMISSION, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE ON IT.

Don't we all wish? You know there's always going to be some retard who's just trying to rack up xp points or something who's going to continue to vote regardless of wtf you say. That post is pretty much pointless...but hey...you tried.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:00:54

nice, glad to know our account will be as safe as houses.

Oh and good luck with the old alien hominid, seeing as i havent posted in any of the other news topics about it yet, bit late but least its there.

LN

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:02:20

72 hours......I hate to rain on your parade but we arent going to lat 72 minutes with those things!......oops, aliens moment. Please catch that bastard who sent that!

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:03:28

WOW! people are submitting crap like never before!! its my lucky day!! so many blam-points

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:03:44

Thanks a lot for the update Tom. I sure hope this whole thing is cleared up soon.

I still can't view movies or anything yet. I'm missing experience. If i find out who started all these problems i'm gonna.....

lol :-P

I could surely die

If I only had some pie

Club-a-Club Club, son

BBS Signature

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:05:48

ok someone anyone near philly if yout newgrounds is working then im next i need to know i need the exp

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:06:41

still can't see the damn movies. BTW IF YOU WANT TO GET EXP POINTS: vote on movies you've all ready seen.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:07:08

At 1/19/04 12:05 PM, redwingdragoon wrote: ok someone anyone near philly if yout newgrounds is working then im next i need to know i need the exp

the dark lolly is the best level you can get!!!

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:11:14

Weird, when I first tried to watch a movie, I could see it, it loaded.
I had the time to vote on quite a few movies, deposit my experience points and vote more. But it has come to a moment that it doesn't load anymore, just like before ... Maybe a little glitch on the thingies ? I don't know.

I play lottery. I always lose.

LOOK at my CAR VIDEOS on YouTUBE !!

BBS Signature

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:12:08

I LOVE YOU, Thanks ALOT for switching it back on

MUAHHHH!!!

Ohhh, Im excited ;)

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:12:43

Ooopsss... Today I still coudn't see any submissions so I went to the top 5 of today and voted 4 on each because if theyre on the top 5 they must be some what good. I just wanted to get my experince points for the day because of the problems I havent been colecting them. I didn't check the news till after.
Since I did this what will happen?

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:17:14

representing about 0.01% of NG's registred users lemme say you one thing.

YAY

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:19:29

Well it's good in the long run at least, some of us might not be able to see the submissions now but at least our accounts won't get screwed. Is the new server ungrounded.net, as that is what is being shown, and how long till the londonish area of the uk will be ready :P

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:21:52

At 1/19/04 11:51 AM, CJCJCJ wrote: uh when I click on a submission i get a basically blank NG page with the author info and file size box there and this below: <cen. Is that normal?

I get that too I watch one movie and vote, try to watch another movie and I get that. I seems to work if I go to a diffremt page (e.g. The front page) I don't think that is normal.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:25:26

its working for me here(texas)

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:28:56

well i still cant view flash over in pa.

i whish i could.

i hope u guys fix it.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:29:53

haha...
so lets start the blamming

>: (

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:33:40

Very nice to see everything up and running again at least in my neck of the woods. I havent even come across any errors since voting was enabled. Thanks a bunch.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:36:36

They'll probably use the old Under 200 Votes list.

Response to Update on DNS Update! 2004-01-19 12:47:02

I'm going to make a movie and it shall be called... The Day NG Stood Still. It will be about an unknown super flamer who threatens the sanctity of NG only to be destroyed by the matrix anime superpowers of the NG Triad ( TOM WADE JIM "Triad Power").
P.S. still nothing in North Adams, MA. I need my mani fix!